• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Women's World Cup 2011 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

linkboy

Shadow780 said:
Why they kept saying down to 10 men?

Hope's fierce on the field but have a sweet voice, perfect combination.

We played most of the second half with only 10 players on the field, while Brazil had the full 11 (one of the US players was red-carded and removed from the game).

Basically Brazil was on a 25 minute power play and still lost the game.

DominoKid

linkboy said:
College football is on a whole other level then the NFL. With the NFL, its just people playing for money.

At the college level, its your peers, your classmates. There's a lot of school spirit and you see it come out on Saturdays.

Even after people graduate from college (or leave early to go pro), you still see or hear them refer back to their college.

college football definitely has the most passionate fans of any american sport.

Slizz

ESPN has a segment with Wambach and Solo where they watch the goal for the first time and save for the first time, pretty good.

linkboy said:
College football is on a whole other level then the NFL. With the NFL, its just people playing for money.

At the college level, its your peers, your classmates. There's a lot of school spirit and you see it come out on Saturdays.

Even after people graduate from college (or leave early to go pro), you still see or hear them refer back to their college.
Nonsense.

College football is great but seriously bro?

Here we go:
- Corrupt ass SEC refs
- Good programs always win
- No playoff system

Shadow780

linkboy said:
We played most of the second half with only 10 players on the field, while Brazil had the full 11 (one of the US players was red-carded and removed from the game).

Basically Brazil was on a 25 minute power play and still lost the game.

No I mean they say men instead of women.

linkboy

Buckethead said:
Nonsense.

Here we go:
- Corrupt ass SEC refs
- No playoff system

Way to miss my point.

I wasn't talking about the actual sport, I was talking about the fans, the people in the crowd.

Compare a crowd at a college football game to one at an NFL game, college crowd are louder.

I'm not even a college football fan, but you can't compare the two crowds. Look at that Texas A&M video posted a page back, you're not going to see that at an NFL game.

Shadow780 said:
No I mean they say men instead of women.

Oh, sorry.

If I were to take a guess, its because they're used to saying men (due to men's sports being covered more). Being a man down is a pretty common phrase.

george_us

Buckethead said:
Nonsense.

Here we go:
- Corrupt ass SEC refs
- No playoff system
Agreed but no NFL game would probably top the excite of App. State beating Michigan.

zero_suit said:
Nope, it's better.
Indeed.

linkboy said:
Way to miss my point.

I wasn't talking about the actual sport, I was talking about the fans, the people in the crowd.
Eh I don't know if I agree.

I've been to the Big House when Michigan was still a good team and also been to Michigan State.
Never been to a game in Texas but I have been to Lambeau Field and well that was pretty loud/intense/whatever.

Point being there are good examples and bad examples everywhere.

Awesome game, USA. Just, wow. Just another reason for the rest of the world to hate us.

Hope Solo: MAD beautiful. Gabrielle Reese's post-career success (nearest comparison I could think of) will be dwarfed by Solo...

So...France. Are we going to be favored over them? I haven't watched their games this tournament (except for a few minutes here and there).

Buckethead said:
Indeed.

Eh I don't know if I agree.

I've been to the Big House when Michigan was still a good team and also been to Michigan State.
Never been to a game in Texas but I have been to Lambeau Field and well that was pretty loud/intense/whatever.

Point being there are good examples and bad examples everywhere.

That's the problem. Come down south to the SEC :)

Mobius 1

No lost love here, congrats to the US for the win. While I feel for our girls that have a really rough time back home due to social conditions and lack of support for womens football,, resorting to diving is not what Brazilian football is about.

Gamecocks625 said:
So...France. Are we going to be favored over them? I haven't watched their games this tournament (except for a few minutes here and there).

They are looking good, and this will be a great match to watch for sure!

Meier

sparky2112 said:
Hope Solo: MAD beautiful. Gabrielle Reese's post-career success (nearest comparison I could think of) will be dwarfed by Solo...
My girlfriend was shocked when they showed her before the shootout started. "THAT'S our goalie?!" I wouldn't say she was beautiful (personally), but she is a prototypical model due to her height and bone structure.

I was watching on my phone with the WatchESPN app and then we swapped over to it on the big screen at the end. Just an amazing finish.

Meier

Shadow780 said:
Why they kept saying down to 10 men?
Marta's earlier PK that tied the game was the result of an arguably bogus red card. When a red card is given out, the player is removed and can't be substituted for for the rest of the match (it's then 11 vs 10).

timetokill said:
Gotta love that magic stretcher bullshit. Just one of the many reasons to love soccer. so fucking stupid.

If they bring out a stretcher for you, you shouldn't be permitted to return to the game for at least 10 minutes.

I wonder if a ref could give a player a card for that shit.

Simplet

timetokill said:
Gotta love that magic stretcher bullshit. Just one of the many reasons to love soccer. so fucking stupid.

If they bring out a stretcher for you, you shouldn't be permitted to return to the game for at least 10 minutes.

I'm starting to believe this IS actually a reason to like football. This is like watching pro-wrestling or some shit, there's always at least a team you LOVE to hate.

DominoKid said:
college football definitely has the most passionate fans of any american sport.

MLS gets there too, in my opinion, at least for the teams tht have really embraced supporters' culture. Having a section of the stadium given to your most passionate fans just sets the tone for the entire stadium; collegiate sports do this with their student sections, and soccer teams do it with their supporters' section. I had a chance to go to a regular-season Sporting Kansas City game a month or so ago, and the atmosphere was unreal. It compared favorably to the sold-out Missouri-Kansas football games in Arrowhead.

Amibguous Cad said:
MLS gets there too, in my opinion, at least for the teams tht have really embraced supporters' culture. Having a section of the stadium given to your most passionate fans just sets the tone for the entire stadium; collegiate sports do this with their student sections, and soccer teams do it with their supporters' section. I had a chance to go to a regular-season Sporting Kansas City game a month or so ago, and the atmosphere was unreal. It compared favorably to the sold-out Missouri-Kansas football games in Arrowhead.

Dude, no.

ConfusingJazz said:
Dude, no.

Take the pepsi challenge and find out.... though I'll admit that it largely depends on the team and venue. JELD-WEN, Qwest, Livestrong, etc. are all up there with the best atmospheres in American sports. Pizza Hut Park and Gillette, not so much.

Amibguous Cad said:
Take the pepsi challenge and find out.... though I'll admit that it largely depends on the team and venue. JELD-WEN, Qwest, Livestrong, etc. are all up there with the best atmospheres in American sports. Pizza Hut Park and Gillette, not so much.

I have, but trust me, it doesn't compare, not in the least. And you're comparing it to Kansas-Missouri. Not exactly the breadbasket of passionate football fans.

The MLS "passion" also feels artificial compared to college football.

ConfusingJazz said:
I have, but trust me, it doesn't compare, not in the least. And you're comparing it to Kansas-Missouri. Not exactly the breadbasket of passionate football fans.

The MLS "passion" also feels artificial compared to college football.

Despite its lack of national exposure, Kansas-Missouri is one of the most storied and passionate rivalries in all of college sports, and Missouri at least has developed quite a passionate fanbase after the past decade of success. Faurot isn't quite Texas Memorial Stadium, but it's getting there.

You really reveal your own ignorance of the sport you're claiming to defend by belittling the Border War rivalry and the passion of Missouri's fans.

Even though I haven't been to the Northwest stadiums in person, I'd imagine maybe only the crazy people in Portland can come close to a college football game. I say come close...no way any MLS stadium in Seattle and Portland can compare to a Saturday night in the SEC.

That said, my two favorite sports are college football and international soccer. Those two sports can really bring out the passion in fans because they are playing for something more than a paycheck. School pride, national pride is on the line in those sports.

Amibguous Cad said:
Despite its lack of national exposure, Kansas-Missouri is one of the most storied and passionate rivalries in all of college sports, and Missouri at least has developed quite a passionate fanbase after the past decade of success. Faurot isn't quite Texas Memorial Stadium, but it's getting there.

You really reveal your own ignorance of the sport you're claiming to defend by belittling the Border War rivalry and the passion of Missouri's fans.

A couple more things, then I am dropping:

1) I am comfortable with dismissing the Mizzou fanbase after they were almost left in the dust in the Conference Realignment of 2010
2) The Border War had 1 important game in 50 years. I feel confident in belittling it.

Oozer3993

Ian Darke mentioned it during the game yesterday, but I didn't quite catch it. Ali Krieger, US defender and taker of the final penalty kick yesterday, almost died after suffering blood clots in her lungs that caused a pulmonary embolism and six mini heart attacks. This came after, and possibly because of, breaking her leg in practice before the NCAA tournament and being forced to watch the tournament run of her Penn State Nittany Lions. Favorite part of the article:

Despite her absence, Penn State advanced to the national semifinals in College Station, Tex. She was there when Portland ousted the Nittany Lions on penalty kicks. “I wanted to hop onto the field and take one,” she said.

ConfusingJazz said:
A couple more things, then I am dropping:

1) I am comfortable with dismissing the Mizzou fanbase after they were almost left in the dust in the Conference Realignment of 2010
2) The Border War had 1 important game in 50 years. I feel confident in belittling it.

Your bowing out of the discussion really isn't surprising if the best you can come up with are non sequiturs. How does conference realiagnment have anything to do with the passion and atmosphere at Missouri games? And again, what does the national importance of a rivalry game matter to the energy that the fans bring to it? Neither has anything to do with the subject of debate at hand... they're just a convenient if inadequate way to demean the person you're debating with.

Amibguous Cad said:
Your bowing out of the discussion really isn't surprising if the best you can come up with are non sequiturs. How does conference realiagnment have anything to do with the passion and atmosphere at Missouri games? And again, what does the national importance of a rivalry game matter to the energy that the fans bring to it? Neither has anything to do with the subject of debate at hand... they're just a convenient if inadequate way to demean the person you're debating with.

Le sigh, I am bowing out because this is derailing a soccer thread. If you want to discuss purely CFB, we should go to the CFB thread. If not, I am leaving it as is.

devilhawk

Didn't watch the earlier France games. I know USA should be favored but everyone always worries about a let down in these type of games.

Amibguous Cad said:

The Border War is a fierce Midwestern rivalry that has roots in the Civil War and Bloody Kansas. Today, it is not relevant nationally because of the two main sports. In basketball it is completely one sided. In football both programs are insignificant.

I do laugh at the "decade of success" comment. Despite KU's shittiness in football, KU has a BCS bowl victory. Missouri has, well they have a "decade of success" or something.

Edit: Agreed on the importance versus local energy comment though. The hatred is there. I mean, damn, Slavers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom