• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Women's World Cup 2011 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

xintin

02f9af63aa5139a821dd1c8d050be52a-getty-118737693.jpg
:)

DD

The Frankman said:
Beckham + Thierry Henry + more talent will help immensely. Reminds me of the NBA in reverse where foreign players went to play in the NBA, got better and took their knowledge back home to improve their teams. The misconception that soccer won't be watched in the USA is silly, kids play soccer alot. It's the actual pro league that needs to get promoted by getting a contract with a National network (ESPN isn't enough). NBA has ABC, NFL has FOX/CBS/NBA and used to have ABC for decades, and MLB has FOX and used to have CBS, NBC and ABC... and that's not counting the specialty cable channels.

If they get stars the endorsements will come and the networks will want a piece of that money.
I think that it would be great for US soccer teams to play in the Libertadores.

stupei

The Frankman said:
Beckham + Thierry Henry + more talent will help immensely. Reminds me of the NBA in reverse where foreign players went to play in the NBA, got better and took their knowledge back home to improve their teams. The misconception that soccer won't be watched in the USA is silly, kids play soccer alot. It's the actual pro league that needs to get promoted by getting a contract with a National network (ESPN isn't enough). NBA has ABC, NFL has FOX/CBS/NBA and used to have ABC for decades, and MLB has FOX and used to have CBS, NBC and ABC... and that's not counting the specialty cable channels.

If they get stars the endorsements will come and the networks will want a piece of that money.

The problem is it doesn't really benefit a network for soccer to become hugely popular so that they have to fill a lot of their time slots with it. It's the only sport you can't pack with commercial breaks. No "and coming up is the McDonald's fast food fast break of the game" from the commentators, no quick and flashy guaranteed highlight every other game that you can toss onto Sports Center before cutting to another immediate commercial break. Poker is already successful and you can slap ads all over that shit without it really putting off anyone. Why invest in helping increase exposure for a sport that isn't a guaranteed money maker the way the others are?

Ugh I missed the game. Why doesn't ESPN have any full-length highlights of the game? All their videos are of post-game comments.

Anybody have a link to a video that has the game's full highlights?

The Chosen One said:
Ugh I missed the game. Why doesn't ESPN have any full-length highlights of the game? All their videos are of post-game comments.

Anybody have a link to a video that has the game's full highlights?
A full replay of the game will be available on ESPN 3 tonight. Also, it will be replayed on ESPN 2 at 6EST.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
stupei said:
The problem is it doesn't really benefit a network for soccer to become hugely popular so that they have to fill a lot of their time slots with it. It's the only sport you can't pack with commercial breaks. No "and coming up is the McDonald's fast food fast break of the game" from the commentators, no quick and flashy guaranteed highlight every other game that you can toss onto Sports Center before cutting to another immediate commercial break. Poker is already successful and you can slap ads all over that shit without it really putting off anyone. Why invest in helping increase exposure for a sport that isn't a guaranteed money maker the way the others are?
Football makes a shit-ton of money in other countries. Charge more for less breaks? There are also overlays.

Lebron

Hope did it for America. Cheating ass Brazilians, this ain't a damn stunt show. Just play, geez.

Marta is still a beast, though.

iamblades

Daniel Dantas said:
Brazil has a nasty habit of giving support only to those who have reached the top. They are national heroes, everyone loves them. But before you get there, nobody cares, nobody encourages, unlike the U.S. where there is structure to the training of athletes, incentives, scholarships, etc..

In the case of women's soccer, things are even worse, because there is no incentive in addition, there is still much prejudice. Soccer is seen here as a man's sport, and girls should not play football because it's ugly. Women playing soccer is usually considered gay, so these girls have to live with the lack of infrastructure, lack of incentives, money, and still having to deal with prejudice.

That's why I'm surprised with the fact that the Brazilian women's soccer is so competitive, in spite of all they suffer. If that was the men's team had lost, I would be obviously pissed, but inside I would be congratulating opponents and laughing at the Brazilian millionaires who only care about cars, women and money, and not a bit about real soccer. But do what these girls do, despite all the difficulties is really surprising.

But oh, if they had won the world cup, everyone would love these girls, all the networks would go up to them, there would be parades on the streets, people would appear on TV saying that they are interested in investing in women's football, people promissing a female professional soccer league, etc... for a week.

Yeah, I do hate my shit country. For real.

Oh i get that part of it.. America is pretty shitty about supporting athletes who don't win anything as well, we do tend to support our women's team pretty well on the international and college level. Our support for pro women's sports is pretty shit though.

I also think brazil showed they have plenty of exciting talented players, that are worth watching, win or lose. Every time Marta and Cristiane were on the break I had to hold my breath, I'll admit..

In short, while it always sucks for someone to have to lose(though that is what makes sports great), I don't think they deserved to win.

The Frankman said:

Good post, but I think you're even underselling the success the league has had of late. The quality of play's improved by leaps and bounds in the past 5 years, nearly every team is playing in a Soccer Specific Stadium, and average attendance for this year so far puts us ahead of the NBA and NHL. TV ratings are still anemic, though, you're right about that.

stupei

Funky Papa said:
Football makes a shit-ton of money in other countries. Charge more for less breaks? There are also overlays.

Yeah, but it was already hugely successful by the time it started being broadcast in all those countries. It makes so much money because it's already popular and commercial space costs a lot even for few breaks because of the number of eyes you're getting. The same won't be true in America for a long time, if ever, not on that scale.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
The Frankman said:

I wonder if the soccer problem is that it's more enjoyable in person (except for matches like today). I remember going to Fire games a couple years back and, even though I'm not a huge soccer fan, just the environment where the fans are going CRAZY non-stop was awesome. And I wasn't even there for this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXktZf8gfEw
but I bet it was incredible.

I've recently added "seeing a Sounders game in person" to my sports bucket list, too, since I've heard that soccer is pretty much fully adopted up in the Pacific Northwest and gets the love that it does in Europe.

Amir0x

Banned
i feel bad for that one Brazilian chick who had like the whole pressure of the world on her shoulders. They were writing articles calling her the next Pele and shit.

iamblades

stupei said:
Yeah, but it was already hugely successful by the time it started being broadcast in all those countries. It makes so much money because it's already popular and commercial space costs a lot even for few breaks because of the number of eyes you're getting. The same won't be true in America for a long time, if ever, not on that scale.

MLS does have one competitive economic advantage over the other american pro sports in that they can get quite a bit of direct ad revenue that the other pro sports have yet to exploit(and part of me hopes they never do, I don't want to see corporate logos on baseball or football uniforms). This should allow them to compete economically even if they have to sell their tv rights at a discount.

Cousteau

Amir0x said:
i feel bad for that one Brazilian chick who had like the whole pressure of the world on her shoulders. They were writing articles calling her the next Pele and shit.

She is super talented.
But she has a very very poor attitude during the matches.
Constantly whining and complaining and just bad sportmanship from her in the past few years.

During today's match she got carded for this, doing her thing over a downed player.

Slizz

Cousteau said:
She is super talented.
Constantly whining and complaining and just bad sportmanship from her in the past few years.

During today's match she got carded for this, doing her thing over a downed player.

Yea lol don't feel bad for Marta, she had a poor attitude today and scored 2 goals lol.

I feel bad for the defender who scored the OG and got her penalty kick blocked. That has to crush you.

Cousteau said:
She is super talented.

I'd give her credit if she would have done the same thing to Erika...

stupei said:
True, but with TV I noticed they find other ways (ads on sides to stadium highlighted, score overlays post ads) that seem to work. Funny thing is the WNBA started doing ads on unis too, although I can't see the NBA or MLB EVER doing that.
Amibguous Cad said:
Good post, but I think you're even underselling the success the league has had of late. The quality of play's improved by leaps and bounds in the past 5 years, nearly every team is playing in a Soccer Specific Stadium, and average attendance for this year so far puts us ahead of the NBA and NHL. TV ratings are still anemic, though, you're right about that.
Of late, yeah. But I've heard that line in so many fledgling sports and teams I'm skeptical of that. I need to see 3-4 years of success/growth, and considering where the MLS is coming from it's not that hard to go up. As long as the don't start throwing expansion teams everywhere they should keep growing. How much will they grow depends on them.

Also let's not bring NBA/NHL average attendance when seating conditions are radically different. An NFL comparison is much more fair.

george_us

whytemyke said:
I wonder if the soccer problem is that it's more enjoyable in person (except for matches like today). I remember going to Fire games a couple years back and, even though I'm not a huge soccer fan, just the environment where the fans are going CRAZY non-stop was awesome. And I wasn't even there for this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXktZf8gfEw
but I bet it was incredible.

I've recently added "seeing a Sounders game in person" to my sports bucket list, too, since I've heard that soccer is pretty much fully adopted up in the Pacific Northwest and gets the love that it does in Europe.
Could be. I've never been a huge soccer fan but I was fucking glued to my TV during last year's Men World's Cup and I was glued to this match as well. I think actually having a team to root for is a huge part of it.

I'm watching the USA/China replay on EPSN and it's fucking LOUD in that stadium. It's crazy.

Cousteau

A downed hurt player should not have another player yelling at them to get up.

She's a little bitch in cleats. It's not a secret in those circles.

Just happens to be the best player in the world 5 times over.

Still doesn't excuse her poor behavior.

linkboy

The Frankman said:
True, but with TV I noticed they find other ways (ads on sides to stadium highlighted, score overlays post ads) that seem to work. Funny thing is the WNBA started doing ads on unis too, although I can't see the NBA or MLB EVER doing that.

The NFL is starting to do it.

3990843443_93d9181e05_o.jpg

Its only for practice jerseys right now, but that's how things get started.

Blackhead

Redarse
Slizz said:
Yea lol don't feel bad for Marta, she had a poor attitude today and scored 2 goals lol.

I feel bad for the defender who scored the OG and got her penalty kick blocked. That has to crush you.
that defender scored the own goal, was at fault for the USA equalizer and missed her penalty. Can't feel sorry for her at all. I fell sorry for martha instead that her teammates let her down so badly. I wouldnt call her a bitch at all, nothing wrong with her being so competitive.

Subitai

linkboy said:
The NFL is starting to do it.

3990843443_93d9181e05_o.jpg

Its only for practice jerseys right now, but that's how things get started.
It won't be on the same level as soccer since it creates conflicts with more important endorsements companies have with individual players. For instance, Sony gets way more traction out of getting just Peyton Manning than the Colts team. Manning's endorsement would also get in the way of a competing company, like say Panasonic, to endorse the Colts. It usually isn't worth it in most cases to rob Pe(y)t(on)er to pay Paul. If top 5 qbs ever lose their cache, then things might change.

The USA was the best team today, and they won the match. All is right.

I absolutely hated when Erica pretended she was injured just to spend some time.

Subitai

Nostalgia~4ever said:
This is why soccer is fun, anything can happen even if all is looking bleak. Cant say the same for American Football.
It would have never gotten bleak as the refs could have been challenged on the bad calls w/ replay.

Also Buehler, probably wouldn't have been thrown out for making a similarly hard play. Even if she was, there would still be the same number of players on the field.

linkboy

Insane Metal said:
The USA was the best team today, and they won the match. All is right.

I absolutely hated when Erica pretended she was injured just to spend some time.

Wasn't the extra 3 minutes added because of that.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
This is why soccer is fun, anything can happen even if all is looking bleak. Cant say the same for American Football.

I've seen NFL teams win games they shouldn't have won (like the 92 Bills beating Houston or the 02 49ers beating the Giants). I've seen Super Bowls come down to the final play, that weren't FGs (Super Bowl XXIII, Super Bowl XLII and Super Bowl XLIII).

Things like that can happen an any competitive sport. A buzzer beater to win a basketball game, a walk off home run, etc.

Esiquio

I love Solo as much as anyone else, but I feel like Abby WAMBACH isn't getting the attention she deserves for that super-late equalizing goal that sent the game to PK's. That was the latest goal in WWC history, btw.

iamblades

george_us said:
I'm watching the USA/China replay on EPSN and it's fucking LOUD in that stadium. It's crazy.

American home field advantage is huge.

I can't wait till the next Olympics or WC in america, gonna be awesome. 2020 maybe?

Sky Chief

Esiquio said:
I love Solo as much as anyone else, but I feel like Abby WAMBACH isn't getting the attention she deserves for that super-late equalizing goal that sent the game to PK's. That was the latest goal in WWC history, btw.

Yeah, great cross as well. I wonder if there has ever been a game where a team scored two goals with a 120 minute scoreless drought in the middle?

linkboy said:
Wasn't the extra 3 minutes added because of that.
Yes, but what I meant is that I don't like that kind of behavior. It's not fair. Yeah I know it's common and everybody does that in soccer, but still.

Subitai

Esiquio said:
America loves its goal keepers. I agree though. She put the team on her back wasn't going to be denied in her last WC.

linkboy

Insane Metal said:
Yes, but what I meant is that I don't like that kind of behavior. It's not fair. Yeah I know it's common and everybody does that in soccer, but still.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you. It could be argued that's what cost Brazil the game. She doesn't do that, game doesn't have those extra minutes, US doesn't score, Brazil wins.

That should be used as an example to show kids why you shouldn't attempt to cheat.

iamblades

Gamecocks625 said:
College Football says what?

I get what you're saying though

^^

when two evenly matched college football teams(or even not as evenly matched teams) get together, the results are the most consistently dramatic down to the wire games of any sport there is.

Problem is that the overall structure of CFB sucks completely (meaningless bowl games and big schools filling up their non conference schedule with total cupcake games), so you don't usually get the best possible matchups.

Esiquio

Sky Chief said:
Btw, if anyone needs more world cup soccer the third place game in the u17 cup on espnu right now is insane!

WAT, I forgot! DVR'ing now, thanks

Edit: Bro, I literally turned on my TV and saw the score 3-3, and I was like, wow, wtf. Then Germany scores 5 seconds later, holy crap.

lush

iamblades said:
American home field advantage is huge.

I can't wait till the next Olympics or WC in america, gonna be awesome. 2020 maybe?
Doubt it, sucks we got screwed out of 2022. Don't think anyone was happy about the Qatar decision, same with the England snub for 2018.

The next women's world cup(2015) is in Canada so I doubt we see another North American host. Australia would be cool for 2019.

linkboy

Subitai said:
It won't be on the same level as soccer since it creates conflicts with more important endorsements companies have with individual players. For instance, Sony gets way more traction out of getting just Peyton Manning than the Colts team. Manning's endorsement would also get in the way of a competing company, like say Panasonic, to endorse the Colts. It usually isn't worth it in most cases to rob Pe(y)t(on)er to pay Paul. If top 5 qbs ever lose their cache, then things might change.

That's why if the NFL does it, it would only be for specific brands, and it would be league wide.

Take EA for example, they're the exclusive video game company of the NFL (and the NFLPA, when it comes back).

I really think the NFL will find a way to make it work (sadly), hell, they're already ruining stadium names, might as well go for the uniforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom