• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fight Night Champion |OT| Boxing + Hollywood - Sly Stallone

dreamfall

Installing right now, so fucking thrilled! Fight Night Round 4 lasted me up until the demo for this game, really excited to give Champion mode a go!

My game arrived from Amazon this afternoon, fought my buddy twice so far. 1st fight was Winky vs Pavlik, I lost with using Winky in a close decision mainly because of a flash knockdown Pavlik got early in the fight off a great counter punch. Second fight I took Chavez vs De La Hoya and won a close decision overcoming an early knockdown. I had Oscar hurt twice but couldn't get him down.

I changed to presentation settings to "Simulation" which eliminates the camera flashes and camera flicker when a counter window opens up and the game looks amazing. Right now only glaring problem in gameplay is that long term stamina doesn't seem to go down much at all. Me and my buddy fought pretty tactically but let our hands go from time to time and at the end of both fights we never dipped under 85% total stamina. I forgot to record the punch numbers, we averaged about 70-80 thrown a round. I figure we should have been down to at least 50% by the end of both fights, especially with the good body work we both put it.

I ordered from Amazon to get the Young George Foreman pre-order bonus but it seems there is a problem with the codes they gave out for the 360 version. When I entered the code in the game's Store Menu it froze my console. When I rebooted and tried again it told me "the code is invalid". I checked the EA Forums and the Devs and Community Manager are aware of this and are working with Microsoft on a fix...bummer for now.
Heres the link to the topic in the EA Forums about the broken Foreman codes: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5286285.page

^ The Simulation presentation setting just sold me on it. Grabbing it on the way home.

The counter-window camera effect from FNR4 was so immersion-breaking to me. Didn't stop me from playing a ton of it but I'm happy to hear it can be disabled in this one. If I find that the commentary track includes the word "hookercut" at any point I will instantly disable that as well.

mik

mik is unbeatable
TheVisualizer said:
I ordered from Amazon to get the Young George Foreman pre-order bonus but it seems there is a problem with the codes they gave out for the 360 version. When I entered the code in the game's Store Menu it froze my console. When I rebooted and tried again it told me "the code is invalid". I checked the EA Forums and the Devs and Community Manager are aware of this and are working with Microsoft on a fix...bummer for now.
Heres the link to the topic in the EA Forums about the broken Foreman codes: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5286285.page
I had the same problem with the online pass prior to the game's release, but it eventually just sorted itself out.

Almighty

So far i am enjoying the game. The single play campaign is pretty interesting so far and I am really glad they brought back button punching. Though I might give the stick a try now since it seems they made it easier to use compared to the problems i was having in FN4.

jtrov

Really having a lot of fun with FNC. I've played about an hour or so of Champion Mode and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but I'm really impressed with how it also acts like a tutorial in the early goings.

Going to hop online for some player matches after the Sixers game. Can't wait to see how I fair against people with Lennox in FNC.

Just played through a good portion of the story mode and I love it.

Great use of the ESPN license to have Brian Kenny reporting on the boxer, a lot of little touches like that go a long way for me as a huge boxing fan.

The reuse of of animations from Round 4 is kinda a bummer......and some of the characters look fantastic in the cut scene and then others look like poop.

So far though, I'm loving it.

see5harp

Love/hate with this game so far. It controls exactly like previous games in the series and I've always had issues with them. When you're fighting the guy with the insane left hook it's basically lights out after one punch. I think I had to replay that fight 6 or 7 times on medium difficulty before advancing. The next 4 or 5 fights I won with no issue so that fight was definitely a big difficulty spike. Stick control for punches still feels incredibly inacccurate is you are trying to box realistically. You'll go for an overhand pot shot and for whatever reason your boxer will throw 2 or 3 punches out of nowhere. Maybe I just suck.

daw840

I have now realized just how effective jabs and straights are in this game, I would say 60-70 percent of your punches should be one of those two. The power modified jab is vicious....

Kingpen

Can you guys comment on how hard it was to transition to the new full spectrum controls when you were used to the analog motions before?

Also - is there a level of satisfaction with the knockdowns, and/or flash kos? I guess I'm talking physics-wise. They have had 5 iterations to get this looking pretty good now....

daw840 said:
I have now realized just how effective jabs and straights are in this game, I would say 60-70 percent of your punches should be one of those two. The power modified jab is vicious....
I'm finding it awfully hard to actually throw a jab, given that there are 3 punches mapped to up-left on the RS and it's just a matter of degrees. It was easier to throw the combos I intended in FNR4 but I suppose I'll get better with this system. Flared straights seem to get me punished more often than not.

Champion Mode is fucking TOUGH. The best I can do in the first pro fight is get a draw.

And yeah, half the time I try to jab it ends up doing a flaring straight which leaves me open for a counter. Not cool.

mik

mik is unbeatable
BigKaboom2 said:
I'm finding it awfully hard to actually throw a jab, given that there are 3 punches mapped to up-left on the RS and it's just a matter of degrees.
I tend to use the buttons for jabs and the stick for all other punches. It's much easier to tap out a jab, and it seems to help my rhythm to do that, then move to the stick.

polyh3dron said:
Champion Mode is fucking TOUGH. The best I can do in the first pro fight is get a draw.
I couldn't believe how hard that was. Once I finally
cut off the ring and pinned him in the corner he avoided almost all of my punches and knocked me down with an uppercut. It was pretty cool to see an AI-controlled fighter implement a specific strategy though, regardless of how weird a strategy it was.

Meier

Bummed I forgot this was coming out so soon.. wanted to get it off GameFly. Oh well, I'll give it a shot eventually. I was not a huge fan of the punching mechanics in the last FN I played so I am glad they've changed it up. The career mode sounds pretty awesome in this.

AtomHeart

Neo Member
When I played the demo it felt like pretty much every single punch had a massive delay on it, like I was playing with 300ms ping even against the CPU. Any chance that the full game is more responsive? I'm a massive fan of the series so I really want to pick this up.

conman

AtomHeart said:
When I played the demo it felt like pretty much every single punch had a massive delay on it, like I was playing with 300ms ping even against the CPU. Any chance that the full game is more responsive? I'm a massive fan of the series so I really want to pick this up.
That "delay" is a combination of your boxer's stats and stamina.

osnake

Neo Member
Just finished Champion mode in 4 1/2 hours.
FUCK ISAAC FROST!
Time to give legacy mode a shot now.

see5harp

It's really tough to get out a very simple 1-2 jab straight combination with the sticks and I find it incredibly difficult to remember to hold R2 to through a strong straight in a combination. Button controls seems to make combinations much easier but the whole two buttons to throw uppercut can get me into trouble a shit ton. I like the physics system but many times it seems like I'm holding R1 to get my hands up and the AI is still dropping haymakers on me like I'm Margarito or something. Love the fact that different boxers fought differently though, even if I was stuck on left hook guy for an hour last night. Boxing tendancies may have been in previous Fight Night but actually having your trainer say "watch out for the late surge" or "watch the left hook" really seems like a revelation to me.

rvy

Banned
Maybe this is just me, but, somehow, the KOs felt more "right" in Round 4. My only experience so far has been with the demo, but I was perfectly able to set up my KOs in Round 4 to look devastating. Champion's KOs just seem like a barrage of random uppercuts and jabs.

Do correct me if I'm wrong though.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I really hate what they did to the stick controls in this game. In the last game it was easy to identify the punches with a motion you were performing. Now, and I see I'm not the only one, it's impossible to accurately choose which punch you want.

Terribly disappointing. Otherwise the game is really good. Glad it was just a rental, doubly so since it is an online pass game.

see5harp

rvy said:
Maybe this is just me, but, somehow, the KOs felt more "right" in Round 4. My only experience so far has been with the demo, but I was perfectly able to set up my KOs in Round 4 to look devastating. Champion's KOs just seem like a barrage of random uppercuts and jabs.

Do correct me if I'm wrong though.

Unless you get a flash knockdown off a single punch or two, it seems impossibly hard to break a guys guard when they are in hurt mode. If you hurt a guy doing philly shell defense it's almost like you are fighting Daigo in Third Strike.

rvy

Banned
see5harp said:
Unless you get a flash knockdown off a single punch or two, it seems impossibly hard to break a guys guard when they are in hurt mode. If you hurt a guy doing philly shell defense it's almost like you are fighting Daigo in Third Strike.
The weaving mechanic is pretty "dodgy", right? It doesn't look as effective as it has in the past, maybe because the tempo is much higher.

Chrange

Banned
Archaix said:
I really hate what they did to the stick controls in this game. In the last game it was easy to identify the punches with a motion you were performing. Now, and I see I'm not the only one, it's impossible to accurately choose which punch you want.

Terribly disappointing. Otherwise the game is really good. Glad it was just a rental, doubly so since it is an online pass game.

I had the same problem. Trying to throw a specific punch with multiple shots mapped to pretty much the exact same movement is just frustrating. Terrible way to "improve" punching.

dreamfall

Whoawesome! Champion mode was definitely tough (playing on Pro) but completely thrilling. I'm kind of hoping maybe they add some more story content down the road. I'll probably head into Legacy now, although to be honest, I'm not as excited for it as I thought I would be.

Andre Bishop was such a lovable character (
He seriously looked exactly like Cutty from the Wire during his prison sequence & shortly after. Big baby Bishop was so fucking narcissistic- UGH!
). The developers created some hellish fights, but they all felt completely unique- those Champion Mode knockouts felt so rewarding!

venom2124

Mr. Left Hook can go to hell. I refuse to play this on easy (I'm on normal) because there is no way I'm that bad at this game. But I will admit I will never attempt this fight on any difficulty higher than normal. What are some strategies you guys used to beat this son of a bitch? I'm trying to block, dodge, and counter but he always clips me with the left a few times.

conman

venom2124 said:
Mr. Left Hook can go to hell. I refuse to play this on easy (I'm on normal) because there is no way I'm that bad at this game. But I will admit I will never attempt this fight on any difficulty higher than normal. What are some strategies you guys used to beat this son of a bitch? I'm trying to block, dodge, and counter but he always clips me with the left a few times.
Wasn't much of a problem for me, so I'm not sure. But the best way to avoid a strong left is to sidestep to the outside of his punches (which would be to your right). A hook is also generally going to fall short if you keep just out of its range. Keep stepping to the outside (or backwards) and keep countering. Hooks are designed to work around your guard, so don't rely on your blocking. Hooks are also pretty fast, so you have to work on your footwork timing.

But a mean left hook is the bane of many a boxer's existence. So you're in good company. ;)

Finally realized last night that you can't block body punches if you're leaning backward. Could always do that in previous games IIRC.

daw840

BigKaboom2 said:
Finally realized last night that you can't block body punches if you're leaning backward. Could always do that in previous games IIRC.
Holy shit....that's my problem

I picked it up Weds., along with the C.E. of God of War III ($24.29 at GameStop, all of the GOW3 CEs are marked down to Clearance). Only played the demo so far and loved it. Fight Night Round 3 was one of my launch PS3 titles and I liked it but didn't love it. I skipped FN4 because . at the time, I didn't feel that the series was offering anything new. After playing the demo, reading reviews, watching playthroughs and hearing personal testimonies on the series, I felt like they finally brought the heat. From the polished fighting mechanics to the new Champion Mode, I feel that they created a nice package that was worth the $60 tag and wanted to show my support via my wallet.

It's still wrapped up because I'm just started my first playthrough of Mass Effect 2 yesterday and Dragon Age II is coming Tuesday but It will get it time in my PS3 soon. I wished this game was getting more press because this really is going to be on of the best Sport/Fighting titles this year.

This is a fantastic game, best in the series.

The presentation, visuals and general production values are some of the best this generation.

Legend mode is a great addition to the game, it makes most of the fights have a greater purpose and therefore more rewarding. I really enjoy the different challenges each fight offers. Certainly on the higher difficulties (playing on Pro), I find myself having to adapt my style and actually box intelligently.

My friend who previously played the FN games with an agressive style (mainly counter hooks) finds this game difficult as his movement, ring awareness and general defensive skills are lacking.

An example of this was the fight against the boxer with the vicious left hook. I found it challenging, however my sound boxing game allowed me to beat him after four attempts (having learned his style). My friend couldn't last more than a few rounds, frustration usually set in which lead to the hands dropping.

Tip:

Keep your guard up and use the jab (left) to keep him on the outside, after three of four rounds he tires and you can then begin to land some heavy counter hooks to head and body. It's all about head movement and awareness of ring position. Stay off the ropes.

-Amon-

Any info about training and stats grown in legacy mode ?

I found this mechanic quite broken in FN4, some exercises where really easy while others quite impossible to do.

Speaking of real boxers, do they keep their real boxing style when controlled by cpu or behave all the same ?

Do they move all the same or they resemble the real counterpart in movement, punches etc ?

-Amon- said:
Any info about training and stats grown in legacy mode ?

I found this mechanic quite broken in FN4, some exercises where really easy while others quite impossible to do.

Speaking of real boxers, do they keep their real boxing style when controlled by cpu or behave all the same ?

Do they move all the same or they resemble the real counterpart in movement, punches etc ?

I havent dabbled in Legacy Mode yet but stats progression has changed a lot now that each punch has its own rating. I think most of your XP goes towards that now as opposed to speed, strength etc...

Each boxer has it's own editible tendency sliders which makes them fight more like their style, but its far from perfect as right now punch output with all CPU boxers is way too high and stamina doesnt drain enough over the course of the fight which ruins some matchups/strategies.

About a dozen boxers have their own specific signature punch packages in the game. There are a lot more stances in the game too. These two things combined give a lot more personality to each boxer. They really missed an opportunity with the taunts tho. They took out the signature haymakers from FNR4 so no longer can you make Ali shuffle, Ray Leonard spin his hands and Roy Jones Jr taunt you with head movement. Everyone has generic taunts instead.

Fuck you ea, new copy of the game boot it up click enter my online pass and sits there spinning doing fuck all. Another fuck up by ea and there online code shite, seems to happen to me everytime i have to deal with it.

El-Suave

I love Champion mode so far. Even if it seems to be a bit short and predictable as far as the story is concerned, it's still very well realized. I'm impressed by the production values, the casting and characters are very good. Maybe they could have gone a bit crazy and done more with music during the fights.
The PS3s background loading seems to interfere and sometimes it stutters briefly during the cutscenes, but I can forgive that.

I don't have much time to play these days so I haven't even tried any of the other modes, but I know I don't want a future Fight Night game without a story mode and I would love if EA thought of ways to incorporate something like this into other sports games.

Kingpen

just want to say that I was really lukewarm on buying this... I ended up buying it and I am really liking it thus far (have not touched champion mode or online, just playing Legacy on Champion difficulty)

The new controls are much for the better as everyone has said. I'm having a ton of fun taking Cristobal A. to the heavyweight glory he should have had if he wasn't so lazy in real life with training.

They changed a few things in legacy that are for the better, such as how you can earn points, and make decisions on how to spend those points on your boxer instead of having to certain training games to increase certain stats.

graphics are amazing, tons of venues to box in, and more licenced boxers on the roster

I was just going to keep FN 4 and blow this new version off until it was 20 bucks, but so far I am very happy and addicted to this new version, more so then I thought I would have been.

-Amon-

TheVisualizer said:
I havent dabbled in Legacy Mode yet but stats progression has changed a lot now that each punch has its own rating. I think most of your XP goes towards that now as opposed to speed, strength etc...

Each boxer has it's own editible tendency sliders which makes them fight more like their style, but its far from perfect as right now punch output with all CPU boxers is way too high and stamina doesnt drain enough over the course of the fight which ruins some matchups/strategies.

About a dozen boxers have their own specific signature punch packages in the game. There are a lot more stances in the game too. These two things combined give a lot more personality to each boxer. They really missed an opportunity with the taunts tho. They took out the signature haymakers from FNR4 so no longer can you make Ali shuffle, Ray Leonard spin his hands and Roy Jones Jr taunt you with head movement. Everyone has generic taunts instead.

Much appreciated, thank you :)

TheVisualizer said:
Xp seems to be only used to unlock skills, such as "This punch now has some chance of flash stunning your opponent." It does give you a few points in your athletic stats, but that's like a minor, secondary benefit. These athletic stats are handled completely separately from that for the most part. Seems you don't improve them much as mainly try to maintain them. That's done through athletic training. Mainly, you trade stamina for stats, to compensate the fact that they drop over time. Then you rest to get stamina back. That's pretty BLAH to be honest. But then again, i pretty much hate this pile of steaming turd, so just BLAH is actually pretty good compared to the rest of the shit sandwish. Really, really wish i had only rented this. I don't mind having wasted the money so much. I mind that i'm actually encouraging these people down this... this path i guess, whatever you wanna call this shit fest. Seriously. How this is getting good reviews i'll never understand. Incompetent fucking enthusiast press ftw. Why am i even surprised.

So i actually looked up the ign review, betting with myself it was that idiotic oscar-worthy guy that reviewed this. Well, what do you know...
"Gameplay
This is the best the fighting engine's been for the series. It's a great step forward."
LOL, semi random punching, a great step forward. FUCK YOU. Nevermind beating games, or even spending more than a cple of hours on them, do these fucking clowns even play the games they review? Is that his profressional opinion on this game? I mean the guy is actually getting paid to write what i can only describe as random fucking bullshit.

tl;dr: the game plays sloppy and random, ea challenging activision to conquer back its shitcrown.

Edit: ok to be fair, the game looks fairly nice, visually. Although (apparent?) absence of sliders to adjust your boxer face is pretty baffling. Or do i need to actually use a picture of myself to access sliders? Also, performs pretty bad, with regular slowdowns, particularly during (already otherwise disorienting) wild camera swings. I'm hoping these can be turned the f off. Overall menus are the usual ea SHIT, with layers of shit on top of layers of shit. Also, it does look pretty nice, but, if you consider what fnr3 looked like all these years ago on 360, this is a pretty unimpressive improvement. What the FUCK did they spend development time on? Shitting up controls? Adding an awkward story mode? Making those long ass load times just a tad longer?

Fistwell said:
Xp seems to be only used to unlock skills, such as "This punch now has some chance of flash stunning your opponent." It does give you a few points in your athletic stats, but that's like a minor, secondary benefit. These athletic stats are handled completely separately from that for the most part. Seems you don't improve them much as mainly try to maintain them. That's done through athletic training. Mainly, you trade stamina for stats, to compensate the fact that they drop over time. Then you rest to get stamina back. That's pretty BLAH to be honest. But then again, i pretty much hate this pile of steaming turd, so just BLAH is actually pretty good compared to the rest of the shit sandwish. Really, really wish i had only rented this. I don't mind having wasted the money so much. I mind that i'm actually encouraging these people down this... this path i guess, whatever you wanna call this shit fest. Seriously. How this is getting good reviews i'll never understand. Incompetent fucking enthusiast press ftw. Why am i even surprised.

So i actually looked up the ign review, betting with myself it was that idiotic oscar-worthy guy that reviewed this. Well, what do you know...
"Gameplay
This is the best the fighting engine's been for the series. It's a great step forward."
LOL, semi random punching, a great step forward. FUCK YOU. Nevermind beating games, or even spending more than a cple of hours on them, do these fucking clowns even play the games they review? Is that his profressional opinion on this game? I mean the guy is actually getting paid to write what i can only describe as random fucking bullshit.

tl;dr: the game plays sloppy and random, ea challenging activision to conquer back its shitcrown.

I agree the reviews are way too high. Part of that is barely any of the major review sites really know shit about the sport of boxing. EA accomplished it's goal of impressing reviewers enough with the Champion Mode for them to not see the glaring flaws in gameplay, but I think the game is far from the "shit fest" you claim it to be.

The game has 2 glaring gameplay issues right now that need to be addressed in a patch:

#1) The counter freeze you get from throwing a counter punch from your block needs to be done away with. This is what has primarily ruined online play. There is no risk for fishing for counters all fight long and too much reward as normal counter punches do more damage than cleanly landed "power modified" punches. EA thought the system in place would simulate a "parry" system but their implementation is all wrong. Online is a counter-fest right now...

#2) Short and Long Stamina needs to be lowered via a Tuner Update. I don't think I've fought a fight online or offline where my total stamina dipped below 80%. The game allows you to throw too many punches within a round and over the course of an entire fight and still be fresh.

Responding to your criticisms, the "random punching" you seem to be upset about happened to me when I first started playing the demo. You need to get comfortable with the "flicking motions" new control scheme. I played a ton of FNR4 and am still shaking my old habits of "rolling" the analog stick for hooks and uppercuts (which is what causes 95% of the random punches). You also need to realize throwing combinations of punches is not a true 1-to-1 implementation. They went with a "queue" system where you queue up a combo of 2 - 4 punches beforehand. Your fighter's combination and speed ratings determine how many you can throw quickly, otherwise you would be able to snap off fast precise flurries with someone like George Foreman.

The game has it's flaws, but I feel that it's significantly improved over both FNR3 and FNR4. Sorry, you feel as if you were swindled, I only play primarily offline and have been satisfied so far with the game for what it is.

TheVisualizer said:
The game has it's flaws, but I feel that it's significantly improved over both FNR3 and FNR4. Sorry, you feel as if you were swindled, I only play primarily offline and have been satisfied so far with the game for what it is.
Yeah, i honestly am not exactly being fair and balanced right now (obviously, i guess). I'll probably try to stick with it a little. But overall, after a cple of hours with it, it feels pretty underwhelming, to say the least.

Fistwell said:
Yeah, i honestly am not exactly being fair and balanced right now (obviously, i guess). I'll probably try to stick with it a little. But overall, after a cple of hours with it, it feels pretty underwhelming, to say the least.

It's cool, everyone has a different opinion, my "acceptable" might not be good enough for your standards. I think at the least you should give it some time to really get the gist of how the controls work unless you are able/feel the need to return the game quickly for a refund.

conman

TheVisualizer said:
I agree the reviews are way too high. Part of that is barely any of the major review sites really know shit about the sport of boxing. EA accomplished it's goal of impressing reviewers enough with the Champion Mode for them to not see the glaring flaws in gameplay, but I think the game is far from the "shit fest" you claim it to be.
To be fair, Champion mode is good enough to stand on its own.

Everything else is pretty much the same as it was in FNR4. I like the small changes to the mechanics (especially the blocking modifier), but it ultimately pretty much feels the same as before. After a handful of hours playing FNC online, I got bored because I'd already put so many hours into FNR4 and I wasn't getting anything new out of the experience. If FNR4 didn't already exist, FNC would be an absolutely incredible package.

Also, if this were a game directed only at boxing fans, they'd be dooming themselves to utter obscurity.

Top Bottom