• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhapsody

Banned
I want to watch this, but they have to use the previous patch. Might just watch the top 8 when it comes on.

I think it's for the best for the players competing tbh. And I guess people won't get angry at ghost Diddy.

With that said, my friend made it past phase 1 of pools in winners. Has to fight ZeRo next tomorrow.
I'm expecting a loss there, but he's a really good player, so I'll probably see him go through losers.

FGC word of the week: asymmetry

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/KeithBurgun/20151001/255058/Asymmetry_in_Games.php

Sirlin really went in on that original blog post. Fighting game players always so aggressive.

Variety is the spice of life.

This is one of the most comedic aspects of this discussion. Defenders of videogame-style asymmetry will tell you that their game needs the 10, 20, 50 or however many characters it has. If that's true, then why is it that me and my friend can do nothing but Ryu mirror matches?
Ryu-vs-Ryu-no-throws-because-thats-cheap.

Is the argument there "well, yeah, you can do that, but then you're choosing to do something more boring"? If so, why are you even letting me do it? There is no guarantee that players will have any idea that that's "more boring"; they may just think that that's a perfectly fine way to play the game (and shouldn't it be?), in which case they're just getting a worse experience out of your game, for no fault of their own.
Videogames are a series of interesting decisions. To lock yourself into a character is an interesting decision. Maybe decide to choose another guy next game.

Maybe that seems like an extreme case, but how about this: most players only play 2-4 characters or so. That means if you have two players who play against each other, at best (assuming no character overlap between the two characters), these two players are only experiencing 25% of the game. I would guess that most of the time, for most players (obviously serious tournament players excluded here), 80-90% of a fighting game's characters simply don't even get used. That doesn't sound like very efficient design to me.
Its not about efficiency, its about variety.

To re-state my point succinctly: if the "variety" granted from asymmetry is so crucially important, why can it be so easily ignored? Why isn't it just a rule, the way health (a feature we all know actually is critical) is?

I work in games and many things we create don't get consumed to noticed but if you choose to see it/experience it, its there.

What he is proposing is something that a lot of people in design wish for - Zero content waste. Its fine to make a uniform artisan beautiful thing splayed out spread eagle with all of it exposed and easy to access. But sometimes it good to have discovery and have hidden content for only the ones willing to put time in, much like becoming good at a sport /skill.

ShinMaruku

That symmetry article is something interesting. Sirlin going in is always amusing even though I think his passion made him take his position in dogma in how he phrased the answer.

And hopefully your mechanics and gameplay flow allow for varied experiences with or without character selection.

Videogames are a series of interesting decisions. To lock yourself into a character is an interesting decision. Maybe decide to choose another guy next game.
It can be an interesting decision that leads to no interesting decisions or no decisions. Maybe choosing a different guy will lead to the same thing.

What he is proposing is something that a lot of people in design wish for - Zero content waste. Its fine to make a uniform artisan beautiful thing splayed out spread eagle with all of it exposed and easy to access. But sometimes it good to have discovery and have hidden content for only the ones willing to put time in, much like becoming good at a sport /skill.
I think there is a bit more to it than just that. Plus in this case the decision is rather upfront and not hidden so it's more likely to have a bigger impact on less dedicated players than the ones who put in more time and effort.

WarRock

Videogames are a series of interesting decisions.
He has a veeeery different concept of videogame, explained in his "videogames are broken toys" article, and I really disagreed with that too.

I don't work or study game design, it's more of a hobby than anything, but I do study graphic design and every article from this dude's blog made me think he is an awful designer/content producer.

There are tons of authors and creators he seems to be ignoring when making his points.

The original blog poster though is looking at game design from a somewhat narrow "pure game" point of view which is why a lot of board games are being used as examples. Where a lot of elements that video games lean on get abstracted out. Not sure about MMOs though, I don't think they fit within the scope of his argument.
Yet he keeps rambling about SF, Starcraft and LoL.

And Warcraft, and Smash Brothers, and a bunch of board games that I don't remember names of.

Clearly the dude has some nostalgia or personal hang up on SFII and attachment to blizzard games. Clearly he played Warcraft 3 for some time, I don't know why he chose Starcraft over it. Warcraft 1/2 are rather symmetrical, outside of special units like paladins/shamans Ogre Magi/Mages if I remember correctly so those wouldn't work as well in terms of examples.

Like yes the author clearly has a bias and some emotional hangs up. However if you spent enough of your time to actually read what he wrote there is no point in making it a waste of effort by dismissing whatever value there is over petty reasons.

Edit: I also didn't read the Broken Toys post. Only the old blog post and the new one which seemed to be mainly a rehash of the same thing.

There are some pretty aspects

Like the range of Ken's Kara Throw

RIP Kara Throw from Ken

Just boot up 3S, pick Chun and press lp lk mk. All wounds will be healed.

Sf4 looks just as bad in motion. Pointless to complain about the graphics of a 7 y/o game though

If there's one good thing about SF4, it's the animation. Not the newcomers, mind you, but most of the cast has good animation. Movements are smooth and feel like they have some heft to them.

The 360 and PS3 were beasts for their time. The technology was just fine and it showed in games like Marvel vs Capcom 3. Great tech will make great art sing. Great tech and weak artsyles... will give people an excuse to blame the tech lol.

You more or less don't need tech. Not since the times of the SNES. You just need solid art direction and your game will look good.

Dude desperately needs to study some Emotional Design, ugh. Does he think that Castle Crashers character selection is similar to Dodonpachi ship and power up selection too? That when someone plays a MMO he should be forced to play in all roles too, otherwise the developers efforts are wasted into people not "playing 100% of the game"?

Gimme a break.

(Sirlin was on point with his comment on the original article too)

Burgun is pretty much a robot who worships abstracts when it comes to this stuff.

His first "solution" is hilarious, though:
Asymmetric Game Design Guideline, Part 1
Forced random characters

Forced random characters are apparently "quick and elegant." I would label them an ugly hack trying to satisfy an urge to make something into something it shouldn't be.

The second one is actually a good guideline, IMO, if the matchups are "heavy", so to speak, like they are in SF4 or GG. Too many characters and everyone will start to lose to simple inexperience and it starts becoming hard for local communities to cover matchups.

The more system first the design, the more obvious and quick to learn the characters are, the less necessary this is, obv.

His biggest sin is thinking there is only One True Way to design games though.

That symmetry article is something interesting. Sirlin going in is always amusing even though I think his passion made him take his position in dogma in how he phrased the answer.

Sirlin takes a dogmatic view on many things.

He has a veeeery different concept of videogame, explained in his "videogames are broken toys" article, and I really disagreed with that too.

I don't work or study game design, it's more of a hobby than anything, but I do study graphic design and every article from this dude's blog made me think he is an awful designer/content producer.

There are tons of authors and creators he seems to be ignoring when making his points.

He has a very, very fixed idea of what a Proper Game is like - on Sirlin's forums they have things like game* to denote Burgun-meanings for different words - one that I certainly don't share. Just one more person with a beautiful theory that doesn't match up to what people consider good in reality.

Astarte

CQT1IjfUEAAMiJy.png

Xrd half way poll results. It's going to be hilarious if HOS actually wins this,

So the earlier poll was pretty much right on the number one spot.

I just read the videogames are broken toys and gained no insight. We are not creating "Toys" we are giving players thoughtful and crafted decisions. To create a toy game in his image is a goaless game where all available options were exposed and in full display.

We are creators and like many people who don't want to listen, sometimes don't notice content created. Thats OKAY.

My favorite:
The article got a lot of attention from some well-known designers like Jon Schafer, Greg Costikyan, Raph Koster, and David Sirlin (who wrote a dismissive and mean-spirited comment which got upvoted like crazy, despite the fact that it didn’t really address my article’s points).

You are missing the (harsh) point he was making (I think); Mastery of character, mastery of all characters, understanding matchups. These many layers of the game is what makes it interesting.

The modern player has been raised in a world of toys. Pure strategy games, like some designer boardgames and my own Auro, can come off to today’s player as unforgiving, difficult, strange or even “feeling like work”. In time, when we have more examples of pure games, I expect this problem to diminish, but for now, I think it’s an issue.

Sounds like you have created work, not a game.

Does he want to play Rock, Paper, Scissors? I am at a loss.

Dude desperately needs to study some Emotional Design, ugh. Does he think that Castle Crashers character selection is similar to Dodonpachi ship and power up selection too? That when someone plays a MMO he should be forced to play in all roles too, otherwise the developers efforts are wasted into people not "playing 100% of the game"?

Gimme a break.

(Sirlin was on point with his comment on the original article too)
I can't find Sirlin's rebuttal. Link?

I can't find Sirlin's rebuttal. Link?
http://keithburgun.net/debunking_asymmetry/#comment-1054163767

I just read the videogames are broken toys and gained no insight. We are not creating "Toys" we are giving players thoughtful and crafted decisions.
What about open world games? Quiet often the open world is described as a sandbox, a place where the player is free to do whatever they want within it's constraints. The decisions available to the player might have been crated by a thoughtful process but the way the player engages with them might not have any of that. Quiet often they are praised for giving the player the freedom to engage with them in a thoughtless manner and derive satisfaction from it.

Anyway there are certainly toylike aspects to some games.

http://keithburgun.net/debunking_asymmetry/#comment-1054163767

What about open world games? Quiet often the open world is described as a sandbox, a place where the player is free to do whatever they want within it's constraints. The decisions available to the player might have been crated by a thoughtful process but the way the player engages with them might not have any of that. Quiet often they are praised for giving the player the freedom to engage with them in a thoughtless manner and derive satisfaction from it.

Open world games flourish when there are embedded system mechanics that players can interact with. Its when things don't react is when the game "gets boring". The funny part of open world is that you are creating your own content within the rules of the game, or making your own fun, a la MineCraft or jumping ramps & 5 star warning in GTA5. Its the water-cooler moments & surprise & discovery that make games much more than toys.

I feel weird exposing my game design side to FGW.
/rant

Eff Anime. Take all the bad words you say back...
Sim is da bess.

Open world games flourish when there are embedded system mechanics that players can interact with. Its when things don't react is when the game "gets boring". The funny part of open world is that you are creating your own content within the rules of the game, or making your own fun, a la MineCraft or jumping ramps & 5 star warning in GTA5. Its the water-cooler moments & surprise & discovery that make games much more than toys.
It just makes them more complex toys though. That's what kids toys do, you push a button it makes a sound, light flashes, some kind of feedback happens. In the case of GTA pushing the same button, by that I mean you know stealing a car or murdering someone, might result in a bunch of different things happening which is what makes it such a fun toy.

WarRock

Like yes the author clearly has a bias and some emotional hangs up. However if you spent enough of your time to actually read what he wrote there is no point in making it a waste of effort by dismissing whatever value there is over petty reasons.
Nah, it's exactly because I put in the time to see his point of view that I'm dismissing it. I could concede if he made a prototype (a written one would suffice) that proved his point, but he's just rambling with flawed premises.

Dude should spend some time in art museums, actually.

You are missing the (harsh) point he was making (I think); Mastery of character, mastery of all characters, understanding matchups. These many layers of the game is what makes it interesting.
Exactly.

There are a lot of toy aspects in many games and sports, and some people are able to discuss that in more reasonable ways that this dude. Schell definitions of "game", "play" and "toy" comes to mind.

ShinMaruku

Sirlin takes a dogmatic view on many things.
That can be very limiting in some situations where your reactions are based off dogma and you haven't taken a serious look at what is said. Humans can be programmed to accept dogma automatically and they can make people resistant to differing view points. Not sure if that fits Sirlin but sometime you have to separate yourself from dogma.

gutabo

win.png

There.
I don't know you if the cops show up.

Thanks! I wasn't expecting that at all!

And talking about PMs...

He has a very, very fixed idea of what a Proper Game is like - on Sirlin's forums they have things like game* to denote Burgun-meanings for different words - one that I certainly don't share. Just one more person with a beautiful theory that doesn't match up to what people consider good in reality.

Coffeeling, please check you PMs :) Thanks again!

Shun

We need more Valentines. Ramlethal, Elphelt, Jack-O. Give us more.

Also there's an event tomorrow if anyone in NorCal wants to go.

It just makes them more complex toys though. That's what kids toys do, you push a button it makes a sound, light flashes, some kind of feedback happens. In the case of GTA pushing the same button, by that I mean you know stealing a car or murdering someone, might result in a bunch of different things happening which is what makes it such a fun toy.

A more complex toy is a bit reductive. Perhaps a rube-goldburg device would be more apt. To set things off in motion with NPCs reacting in ways you don't expect because you placed something or performed an action is not a toy. Toys have direct input and innert when you are done interacting. Its one thing to create a lego car but to have a zombie come in at night (they always come in at night) and explode, causing the car to fly and crush your friend through the glass window. Thats a moment, not a toy.

A more complex toy is a bit reductive. Perhaps a rube-goldburg device would be more apt. To set things off in motion with NPCs reacting in ways you don't expect because you placed something or performed an action is not a toy. Toys have direct input and innert when you are done interacting. Its one thing to create a lego car but to have a zombie come in at night (they always come in at night) and explode, causing the car to fly and crush your friend through the glass window. Thats a moment, not a toy.
Semantics, a complex game like GTA can be a lot of things, including a toy, a rube goldberg machine, a rather poor life simulator, or a screen saver. Isn't the key thing here how the individual chooses to interact with it?

Also there are toys that function without direct input for a period of time. Our toys got a lot more sophisticated in the modern day. Or even a bouncy ball, throw one hard enough and there will be plenty of chaos before it comes to rest.

Edit: I mean video games aren't perpetual motion devices either. I leave GTA running on my PS4, it might or might not get stuck on the wasted screen, and my console will shut off on it's own after a timeout, and the whole thing ceases to function.

peter0611

Melee crews is so good right now
Yep. It's a great way to let non-elite players shine and contribute to something special. Sharing lives means that taking even 1 stock off Armada is significant enough to make you a star. :eek: And the regional enthusiasm is always cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom