• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'll be there too to get pooped on in Xrd and Uniel.

Question to oneida or Toronto VF folks, how's the community for the game? Someone I know was interested in getting into the game.

Toronto VF scene is strongest in the west right now, then NYC or SoCal. Some strong players northwest too.
If you're anywhere else lemme know and I can tell you what players are nearby.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Aging in SFV makes zero sense. Bison is older, Birdie looks kinda older, you can even say Ryu and Ken look a bit older as well, but Cammy looks like a little girl, somehow

Cammy looks older too.
551325-bigthumbnail.jpg

11313698_874866575917463_1231563446_n.jpg

Rhapsody

Banned
I wonder how focus tested the designs were in the older SFs. I feel like SFV's just playing it so "safe" with the designs? (despite all the complaints in the threads) I know people complained about Juri's design back in the day, but I was fine with it. I didn't want just traditional tae kwon do characters or something. That just sounds sort of boring.

Numb

Curious.
Any fighting game where all the colors and costumes are unlocked from the start during offline but when online you gotta unlock them like usual? Seems like a good choice.
Watching KI and a ton of shit seems locked.

The 360 and PS3 were beasts for their time. The technology was just fine and it showed in games like Marvel vs Capcom 3. Great tech will make great art sing. Great tech and weak artsyles... will give people an excuse to blame the tech lol.

SamVimes

Eh...just look at Gief walking back and forward in SFIV and in SFV. It looks so much better in V...

I'm not saying SF V is not much better looking than SF IV, that would be absurd. I'm saying that both games look much better in motion than they do in screenshots.

WarRock

FGC word of the week: asymmetry

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/KeithBurgun/20151001/255058/Asymmetry_in_Games.php

Sirlin really went in on that original blog post. Fighting game players always so aggressive.

Here's where people tend to make a big mistake, which is to think that this is an "interesting decision". But interesting decisions in strategy games are decisions between two strategies, or tactics, not deciding between a strategy and some external thing, such as, "would it be fun to do that?"

In my view, it is absolutely a designer's job to ensure that players are never put in that position. The "strong thing" should always be the "fun thing". Most players already accept this concept when it comes to in-game interactions.
Dude desperately needs to study some Emotional Design, ugh. Does he think that Castle Crashers character selection is similar to Dodonpachi ship and power up selection too? That when someone plays a MMO he should be forced to play in all roles too, otherwise the developers efforts are wasted into people not "playing 100% of the game"?

Gimme a break.

(Sirlin was on point with his comment on the original article too)

Dude desperately needs to study some Emotional Design, ugh. Does he think that Castle Crashers character selection is similar to Dodonpachi ship and power up selection too? That when someone plays a MMO he should be forced to play in all roles too, otherwise the developers efforts are wasted into people not "playing 100% of the game"?

Gimme a break.

(Sirlin was on point with his comment on the original article too)
Depends on how Sirlin's original statement on the podcast was worded. The comment sections already contain fitting rebuttals though so it's not a big deal.

The original blog poster though is looking at game design from a somewhat narrow "pure game" point of view which is why a lot of board games are being used as examples. Where a lot of elements that video games lean on get abstracted out. Not sure about MMOs though, I don't think they fit within the scope of his argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom