• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shun

The damage has been done... Hoping that ArcSys+Sanwa releases a new set of Guilty Gear buttons.

Wish Ibuki came back in earlier so I could use their discount code...

jUkV5bX.png

Joule

Toronto VF scene is strongest in the west right now, then NYC or SoCal. Some strong players northwest too.
If you're anywhere else lemme know and I can tell you what players are nearby.

Oh neat didn't know Toronto was so good at the game. If one were to get into the mix of it who would be the folks to hit up?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Oh neat didn't know Toronto was so good at the game. If one were to get into the mix of it who would be the folks to hit up?

Corey and Erik I think are the best two players of the usual suspects. Johnson and Raymond are comparable and maybe better but I think don't come out as regularly. Erik picked up the game last year and did really well at NYGX in August.

btw, when I say strongest in the West I just meant in terms of raw numbers haha. New York City has the best VF players in NA, but the scene isn't as healthy.

Semantics, a complex game like GTA can be a lot of things, including a toy, a rube goldberg machine, a rather poor life simulator, or a screen saver. Isn't the key thing here how the individual chooses to interact with it?

Also there are toys that function without direct input for a period of time. Our toys got a lot more sophisticated in the modern day. Or even a bouncy ball, throw one hard enough and there will be plenty of chaos before it comes to rest.

Edit: I mean video games aren't perpetual motion devices either. I leave GTA running on my PS4, it might or might not get stuck on the wasted screen, and my console will shut off on it's own after a timeout, and the whole thing ceases to function.

Okay I finished reading the material. I think y'all are getting caught up on what Burgun defines as a Toy and what counts as a Game (using proper nouns here because it is not the dictionary definition for toy and game). It's not the first time I've read ideas like that before; Mark Rosewater has talked about it on his podcast before as well. In fact he even uses similar arguments to distinguish between a toy and a game with Minecraft actually being both, depending on the situation.

Joule

Corey and Erik I think are the best two players of the usual suspects. Johnson and Raymond are comparable and maybe better but I think don't come out as regularly. Erik picked up the game last year and did really well at NYGX in August.

btw, when I say strongest in the West I just meant in terms of raw numbers haha. New York City has the best VF players in NA, but the scene isn't as healthy.

What's the regular channels to get in touch with these folks? Do they have a facebook group or otherwise?

Thanks for the info oneida.

Numb

Based on the vids shown of Gief recently, Gief's damage doesn't look that great.

His SPD doesn't seem to do much more than Birdie's or Mika's command grabs. Mika can even power her grabs up.

Not feeling Gief still. I want the DAMAGE.

They gotta put some damage in those drivers.

mbpm1

If there's one good thing about SF4, it's the animation. Not the newcomers, mind you, but most of the cast has good animation. Movements are smooth and feel like they have some heft to them.

SF in general is good at this

You don't even realize until you play another game and realize the hits sound like slaps

And yeah, Gief's grab damage looks like a normal throw or worse.

K.Sabot

Hmmm there have been more and more Smash tournaments in Convention Center style venues recently (I'm aware that TBH5 is technically at a hotel, but the Dearborn hosts a much higher quality conference center better compared to where EVO gets hosted imo). And they always seem to run really well, like those venues are meant to hold those types of events or something...

And FGC is still stuck in the hotel poverty, perhaps it's because... Smash actually tries to get good venues and cares more about venue quality than what profitable deals you can make with hotels to rent their ballroom while guaranteeing X amount of people will stay at that hotel and etc.

Been mad tired of the hotel venue major poverty, is it really a matter of $$$ or are they really just not trying to get these venues?

edit: when I say profitable, I don't mean that it's profitable for the TO of course, I mean that they convince hotels to give them better rental price by giving them more profit incentive.

Tripon

Hmmm there have been more and more Smash tournaments in Convention Center style venues recently. And they always seem to run really well, like those venues are meant to hold those types of events or something...

And FGC is still stuck in the hotel poverty, perhaps it's because... Smash actually tries to get good venues and cares more about venue quality than what profitable deals you can make with hotels to rent their ballroom while guaranteeing X amount of people will stay at that hotel and etc.

Been mad tired of the hotel venue major poverty, is it really a matter of $$$ or are they really just not trying to get these venues?

edit: when I say profitable, I don't mean that it's profitable for the TO of course, I mean that they convince hotels to give them better rental price by giving them more profit incentive.

I don't think that's true. You're comparing the Big House 5, a successful tournament series run by one of the most organized and experienced T.O. in the scene to the regular FGC major. If you seen some of the podunk regular tournament Smash T.O. and players run out, you'd see that Smash players reach their own level of poverty that FGC people would laugh at. And there is a hotel right next to the convention center where the Big House 5 is at, and yes, the T.O. (Juggleguy) went and convinced the hotel to give them a better rental price on both the convention and rooms. =P (Royal Dearborn Hotel runs both the hotel and convention center that the Big House 5 is out).

APEX 2015 was supposed to be at one of the most rundown piece of shit hotels in existence before it was literally condemned on the first day of the tournament and they had to relocate to a tournament on the other side of New Jersey. There might not even be an APEX 2016 because of how dumb a decision (among others) the owner of the APEX brand Alex Strife made. Sandstorm in Arizona was run by a shady Org that canceled the grand finals of Project M just to end the tournament. And then MacD ended the tournament by pulling the switch. Kappa. Just about every other major for Smash are still run out of hotels, or anime cons. They're still living the struggle like every other fighting game scene are.

Besides, FGC events are growing into their own right as well. Paragon (recent Smash tournament) and SCR will both be at the Ontario Convention Center, and events in Asia and Europe are hosted at areas separate from the Hotel. And Paragon wasn't run well at all. I fully expect Alex Valle and the rest of the Level Up crew to blow the Paragon staff out of the water in terms of organization and professionalism.

Yeah, renting ballroom space at a hotel is low rent on some level, but the scene is slowly moving on, and Smash isn't doing it any more quickly than the the FGC scene is.

K.Sabot

I don't think that's true. You're comparing the Big House 5, a successful tournament series run by one of the most organized and experienced T.O. in the scene to the regular FGC major. If you seen some of the podunk regular tournament Smash T.O. and players run out, you'd see that Smash players reach their own level of poverty that FGC people would laugh at. And there is a hotel right next to the convention center where the Big House 5 is at, and yes, the T.O. (Juggleguy) went and convinced the hotel to give them a better rental price on both the convention and rooms. =P (Royal Dearborn Hotel runs both the hotel and convention center that the Big House 5 is out).

APEX 2015 was supposed to be at one of the most rundown piece of shit hotels in existence before it was literally condemned on the first day of the tournament and they had to relocate to a tournament on the other side of New Jersey. There might not even be an APEX 2016 because of how dumb a decision (among others) the owner of the APEX brand Alex Strife made. Sandstorm in Arizona was run by a shady Org that canceled the grand finals of Project M just to end the tournament. And then MacD ended the tournament by pulling the switch. Kappa. Just about every other major for Smash are still run out of hotels, or anime cons. They're still living the struggle like every other fighting game scene are.

Besides, FGC events are growing into their own right as well. Paragon (recent Smash tournament) and SCR will both be at the Ontario Convention Center, and events in Asia and Europe are hosted at areas separate from the Hotel. And Paragon wasn't run well at all. I fully expect Alex Valle and the rest of the Level Up crew to blow the Paragon staff out of the water in terms of organization and professionalism.

Yeah, renting ballroom space at a hotel is low rent on some level, but the scene is slowly moving on, and Smash isn't doing it any more quickly than the the FGC scene is.

All of the improvements in the smash scene have been incredibly rapid post-documentary, while FGC has grinded it out for so long. I just want to go to a nice place for once when I go to a tournament.

Of course the stream freezes as they show Gief's Super....
So it's still a really strong suplex?

I think the gimmick behind Gief's super is that he's pinning you for a pro wrestling three-count. He's pinning you so hard that you break through the floor at the count of three.

It's like Shermie's old super from KOF 2002, only more ridiculous.

Got around to watching this.

All right. Gief does damage, and he looks really fun to play. His v-skill is not only absorbs a single hit, but it also significantly reduces the damage that move would do. Gief takes like less than a jab's worth of damage in gray life by absorbing an attack with v-skill.

Not only that, apparently in his v-trigger he can absorb an infinite amount of hits with his v-skill? Also, his v-trigger tornado is basically Seth's tandem engine. Holding the tornado is Seth's super, just executing the tornado is tandem engine. Holy cow, Capcom made Gief look really fun to play.

Only downside I see with him is that he seems to lack combos, but he doesn't seem to be built for combos.

Horseress

Got around to watching this.

All right. Gief does damage, and he looks really fun to play. His v-skill is not only absorbs a single hit, but it also significantly reduces the damage that move would do. Gief takes like less than a jab's worth of damage in gray life by absorbing an attack with v-skill.

Not only that, apparently in his v-trigger he can absorb an infinite amount of hits with his v-skill? Also, his v-trigger tornado is basically Seth's tandem engine. Holding the tornado is Seth's super, just executing the tornado is tandem engine. Holy cow, Capcom made Gief look really fun to play.

Only downside I see with him is that he seems to lack combos, but he doesn't seem to be built for combos.

He does looks fun to play. As for his combos, it was the first thing that came to mind when I realized there was no green hand. Maybe he can combo into lariat? Can't see other combo possibilities

ShinMaruku

The damage has been done... Hoping that ArcSys+Sanwa releases a new set of Guilty Gear buttons.

Wish Ibuki came back in earlier so I could use their discount code...

jUkV5bX.png

Ibuki YEEEAAAHHH!

Some great DOA matches I have with GAF folks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q6QLlEnsa0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLcCo-XhqIY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMqMoiW8uoE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpuE-tuXhS8

Soon I'll get back on the sf4 horse again and make everybody love my Ibuki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzacA6VZddg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom