• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

volgihn

I've preordered Street Fighter V and got USF4 on the humble bundle. I'm looking for a stick can you all recommend me some. I need it to work on PC thanks.

notworksafe

Well it depends if you are set on having Sanwa (jp arcade standard) parts. If this is your first stick, then it won't really matter tbh.

The Hori HRAP 4 Kai will work on PS4/PS3/PC. It uses Hori parts but imo those are very solid, especially for a first time user.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SULMRI4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Mad Catz does make sticks that work on PS4/PS3/PC but they are regularly sold out and tbh more than a little overpriced.

Numb

Nah, I was originally gonna go, but I decided not to because I don't wanna run the risk of spending time with the anime community and I didn't wanna miss school.

David-Bowie-Feels-Your-Pain-In-Wince-Reaction-Gif.gif

ruthless

MechaX

lol

I watched a bit of sp00ky playing Disgaea 5 yesterday and I thought he said he was doing NBLC tonight, so not sure what's up.

I may have lost track of a large amount of time with FGC developments, but I thought Sp00ky said that he was stopping NLBC.

Anne

Man Valkenhayn has to be the hardest character I've ever tried to learn, I cant even do his basic shit.

If you really wanna learn him don't give up for a bit. There's a bit of a learning curve around controlling him and doing the mode switch, once you get over that hump and have those skills it gets much easier.

Marz

If you really wanna learn him don't give up for a bit. There's a bit of a learning curve around controlling him and doing the mode switch, once you get over that hump and have those skills it gets much easier.

Yea i figured as much. Theres been certain characters ive learned in the past like Zato and Magneto that were super overwhelming at first but then were relatively easy once i got over that initial execution barrier but goodness if Valk isnt on a whole other level 0_o

Edit: GREED SEVER

MrDaravon

I may have lost track of a large amount of time with FGC developments, but I thought Sp00ky said that he was stopping NLBC.

If you're talking about the Next Level issues a couple months back I think sp00ky said he would continue doing it until the place shut down in I think January/February (?) or so. He's certainly still been doing them, and sp00ky streamed the SFV beta earlier today under the title "Street Fighter V Netplay before NLBC". I hope nothing happened to sp00ky :(

Grokbu

Just wanted to ask. Is it known if the input buffer (for normals at least) in SFV is on button-hold? As in, is it enough to press the button for 1 frame to get the full buffer, or do you have to keep it depressed?

shaowebb

Been going over the Guilty Gear Xrd dissertation on how to achieve 3d that looks properly like 2d and trying to do some of it... Holy hell there is some brilliant stuff here, but man is it a lot of hard assed nonstop shader painting on the tint and normals. No way can I use this for my shit because its too many extra hours to get anything done and thats BEFORE the specialized UV structuring, carefully scripted pin lighting and frame by frame stop motion-esque keyframing.

To prevent shadows from flopping around and making ugly slashes on the model you gotta go and paint every individual feature's normals for each angle in some scenarios. Thats a lot of work. Its entirely necessary to achieve what they did though. There is no way to fake it with in game lighting covering for you.

Best thing I've found though is their mad scientist way of doing precision inner line shaders. They use the UV map. Instead of looking like a nice round pseudo shape like a peeled orange for stuff's UV maps you set them up as boxes and put black between each UV...then you can just tug the seams of the UV's more or less per vertex area into the black to increase or decrease lineweight to properly simulate hand drawn linework that will NEVER look bad even during extreme closeups where as normal maps and textures used for this would get grainy and jaggy.

So now...tons of extra UV work on top of multiple extra maps and multiple hours more on painting shaders...then you add TONS more bones than normal and use NO tween stuff and keyframe every frame by hand like stop motion.

Jeez man. Maybe for a reel or if I had a whole team lol . Respect knuckles though to them for doing all this. They took EVERY aspect of a model and went as far as they could with how those tools function to figure this out. Sooooooooo much extra work per character to get all that 3d stuff to look so clean. Just absolutely insane the amount of dedication they showed for this. You have nooooo idea how tedious this shit is to do the way they set it up. Definitely not a one man operation.

I'll have to just work with my shaders and make my own look work. Wish I could deal with all this but damn thats too much for me. I'd never get anywhere once the keyframing finally happened. May as well draw it at that rate.

ASW needs a fucking host of awards for what they achieved with that setup though. The UV map setup with Box shapes and overlapping seams on black was a major stroke of fucking brilliance...just crazy.

I'll have to just work with my shaders and make my own look work. Wish I could deal with all this but damn thats too much for me. I'd never get anywhere once the keyframing finally happened. May as well draw it at that rate.
Well that's why they only got so far as a proof of concept demo before starting development where they outsourced a lot of the asset creation work.

Obviously also why there won't be new costumes, might as well make a new character probably.

Of Course the best thing about all of this is that they seem still interested in refining this visual style with all of the improvements they made in revelator.

Edit: In honor of RoI closure being announced I played some EXVS today, yay! It's been a while.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I still got it folks. Time to get bodied at my local and rise as the phoenix that I am to slay fiends. The day I meet Combofiend, I'm going to show him the clip where I got a P on him and ask him for a rematch on top of the stage and get it streamed just for the lulz. Dreams can happen.

mbpm1

I still got it folks. Time to get bodied at my local and rise as the phoenix that I am to slay fiends. The day I meet Combofiend, I'm going to show him the clip where I got a P on him and ask him for a rematch on top of the stage and get it streamed just for the lulz. Dreams can happen.

Some dreams are too big.

And then there's this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom