• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I thought too.

But that's easier said than done when risk and reward ratio is skewed towards risk.

I would say quite a few V-Skills are like that.

Make reads. Some would equate reads with "skill". If you're always looking to minimize risk, SFV will be quite painful.

ShinMaruku

You're not worthy of Karin or Ibuki for using that shit gif. According to this gif, your head doubles in size when you turn SS. Fuck out of here with that shit.

FD3QWdm.png

You do know that his family had normal head size. Also Deladova had a huge head too. :E

Watching King of Wolves archives. The amount of randomcharacter/K'/Nameless teams is out of control. The gameplay itself is amazing, though. The movement is just frantic and some of this pressure the better K' players run is just plain ridiculous.

shaowebb

Wow I am ass at confirming into damage in Arcana Heart 3 Love Max. Hadn't realized just how ridiculously bullethell oriented I had been playing with Maori/Dorothy in it till I shuffled along to a cancel based rushdown character earlier with Zenia. I got no rhythm for converting things into combos right now.

Time to lab out some fundamentals and launcher combos across the board. I can get mixups like mad in this game, but I aint making them count enough. With launchers putting folks so far away I really need to get down the timing on launcher combos for homing dash cancels or I'm gonna whif big time.

Its pretty fun learning this game. Its an entire different mindset on some stuff. From throwing shit to clash out moves to pacing your shit instead of machinegunning marvel style its pretty different.

Glad we are probably getting Juri. Just need Akuma and I have every character I could care about in this game. Feels good.

Wonder if alpha counters will work against his long range normals.
They will, but they might not actually hit him due to range.

Isn't Sim like top tier with ALL of his ISMs in Alpha 3? Sounds better than just alight bruh.
I would love some top tier Alpha 3 Sim play if anyone has a link.

Upon playing more Skullgirls I gotta say that I wish Doom worked more like Robo fortune. Fucker should really have to earn that many missiles.
Wait, does Robo have a Hidden Missiles assist?

shaowebb

Glad we are probably getting Juri. Just need Akuma and I have every character I could care about in this game. Feels good.

They will, but they might not actually hit him due to range.

Wait, does Robo have a Hidden Missiles assist?

She can summon more and more heads and she can use them in various ways. Once you get enough she can pretty much hidden missile your ass with them. Upon playing her she made me feel soooooooo much that I would love Dr. Doom as a character whose missiles functions in a manner where he only has a couple but can increase them by doing one move over and over, but once he spends them they all get spent at once. Still have a hidden missile, but not as many shots unless he works for them.

Robo Fortune is amazing. Basically she can summon up to 3 heads and she can use them as fireball(L)), mines (M) or Hidden Missiles (H) and with 3 heads and H version she fires 9 missiles that shoot up and track till they come down. This coupled with her beams , multihit moves, and magnetic stuff and she's incredible. Coincidentally the way they did her head drone moves reigns her in as an assist too so you don't end up with the same kind of "every team could use that" thing that Dr Doom sorta had with his missile assist and overall good shit.

Also check her color alts! (18 FTW)
6X0lSmU.jpg

Zissou

Question of the day: how dead would general interest in SF4 be right now if the pro tour didn't exist?
we'll find out in December after it's over I guess

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Question of the day: how dead would general interest in SF4 be right now if the pro tour didn't exist?
Probably not dead because enough blood pacts have been signed with SF4 over the years, but I think excitement would still probably be a net raise, like MvC2 @ WCW leading into Marvel 3 kinda.

Fighting a Robo Fortune keepaway team is the worst. It's like trying to fight a modded version of Melee Falco that can shoot his slightly stunning beams at two to three times the normal rate. The extremes of keepaway and rushdown are both pretty evident if you put together the right teams.

DunpealD

I would say quite a few V-Skills are like that.

Make reads. Some would equate reads with "skill". If you're always looking to minimize risk, SFV will be quite painful.

It's not about playing safe, but rather the educated guess aka read factor of it's usage. I'm not even sure if you can parry heavy big range attacks and punish them, i.e. attacks like Chuns st.HP, st.HK and st.MK.

Let's look at the characters V-Skills

Chun-Li
Angled jump with hitbox difficult to use, but gains V-Gauge at use even without hitting.

Nash
Can combo into V-Skill, can be used as poke and absorbs single projectiles gaining a lot of meter.

Dictator
Comparable to Ryu. Not sure about usage since I didn't test it.

Cammy
In first beta. Goes past projectiles, is safe on block, switches sides close up and can link into a combo when hit close.

Birdie
Can eat donuts to charge V-Gauge. Can roll projectile and Banana trap.

Ken
Can be used as special cancel and max distance step kick is safe.

Necalli
Ground pound can hit 3 different distances. Even point blank it is safe on block. Can combo into it with target combo.

Claw
When using with claw big range, safe on block at max distance and you can combo into it.

R.Mika
Has armor, buffs command throws and mic can enable combo.

Rashid
Can cancel HK/EX tornado for pressure, can roll under projectiles and can also be combo'd into with st.HP.

Karin
Can charge up for more distance, negates projectiles and can be combo'd into as well of hop kicks.

Now from all the available characters in beta only dictator is comparable in terms of usage and in comparison more utility. The defensive V-Skills right now are all guess based sans projectiles.
In Ryus case most punishes after a parry aren't even max damage, but more in the range of 200 unless you have CA available. Obviously in theory it can be really strong, but considering the multiple ways of it failing reality looks quite different.
I don't see much reason to use it at all. Maybe you can make more sense of it once you try out SFV Ryu.

Rhapsody

Banned

YKO Dhalsim
B4 Alpha 3 tourney
Tokido Evo 2k2

You'll see why Dhalsim's really good in the first vid. 2nd vid is just for fun, lots of familiar names for people in that one. Also a lot of Sim. Evo 2k2 playlist is actually a really fun watch. Shows America vs Japan in that game and Apoc destroying people iirc. Tokido played Dhalsim instead of Akuma in Alpha 3 for those that didn't know. It's sort of why seeing him play Dhalsim in SFXT was a cool little throwback.

Unrelated to Sim, an amusing thing about the Battle by the Bay/Evo tourneys was Valle vs Bas that I can't find right now. Bas baited Valle by doing a reset into teleport back and punishing Valle's tech roll. The year after they did a rematch and the exact same setup happened and worked. You could hear a guy on the video scream "It happened again, just like last year!" or something of that sort lol

There are a lot of people who only play street fighter.

That is the sentiment right now. Even if some want to play 5 and would drop the current game without a second thought, they rather play 4 in the meantime than try a different franchise. It will be that way after december because, honestly, how many people have a shot at the money? A handful of people.

shaowebb

Fighting a Robo Fortune keepaway team is the worst. It's like trying to fight a modded version of Melee Falco that can shoot his slightly stunning beams at two to three times the normal rate. The extremes of keepaway and rushdown are both pretty evident if you put together the right teams.

Oh God yeah. Three land mines and beams all day means I'm pretty much considering at the select screen whether I should dump all normal tactics and just go with Double assist and Peacock teleports. I honestly feel like I'd rather fish that way with Peacock than try to counter zone because though she may win its a war of attrition to go that route.

I keep thinking of running Fukua Robofortune and then either Valentine or Peacock to have someone of my OG team left. I'll probably go in on Skullgirls harder after I get a few more Arcana Heart fundamentals down.

jerry1594

Even tho these characters have as much rigging and are high poly as the playable characters? Okay dude.
Isn't Nadeshiko in there too
Watching King of Wolves archives. The amount of randomcharacter/K'/Nameless teams is out of control. The gameplay itself is amazing, though. The movement is just frantic and some of this pressure the better K' players run is just plain ridiculous.
Is KoF normally run in teams format? It took forever lol

Zissou

Probably not dead because enough blood pacts have been signed with SF4 over the years, but I think excitement would still probably be a net raise, like MvC2 @ WCW leading into Marvel 3 kinda.

Is is really the same though? MvC2 was a game driven entirely by community love/support that seemed kind of one-of-a-kind. I dunno.

There are a lot of people who only play street fighter.

That is the sentiment right now. Even if some want to play 5 and would drop the current game without a second thought, they rather play 4 in the meantime than try a different franchise. It will be that way after december because, honestly, how many people have a shot at the money? A handful of people.

If only people with a shot at the money cared about pro tour, Capcom wouldn't do pro tour. It's a marketing thing to build general interest in the game/franchise. Valve/Riot/whoever put big money into tournaments for the same reason- they expect to profit in the long run from more people playing/watching their games.

Is KoF normally run in teams format? It took forever lol

Player teams? Nah. Characters? Yes, and the effective Bo5 rounds per game setup does cause matches to take longer than Bo3 setup games like GG and SF.
One of Japan's biggest (if not the biggest) KOF tournaments, Duelling the KOF is traditionally a 2 player teams event, though.

If only people with a shot at the money cared about pro tour, Capcom wouldn't do pro tour. It's a marketing thing to build general interest in the game/franchise. Valve/Riot/whoever put big money into tournaments for the same reason- they expect to profit in the long run from more people playing/watching their games.

You realize you're talking about the number one entered game at evo for 7 years straight right?

Even if you don't like SF4, even if others don't like SF4, it's position in the entire scene is the goto game if you want to be competitive in the genre. That has a lot of pull by itself.

Zissou

You realize you're talking about the number one entered game at evo for 7 years straight right?

Even if you don't like SF4, even if others don't like SF4, it's position in the entire scene is the goto game if you want to be competitive in the genre. That has a lot of pull by itself.

'Go-to' game is also kind of a self-sustaining thing though. Everyone assumes there will always be competition -> lots of people play the game knowing there will be an active scene for a long time -> everyone's initial assumption correct (self-fulfilling prophecy/network effect).

It's a placeholder game, though. If it's what everyone plays because it's where the most/best competition is, then nobody is attached enough not to move on to the next game that they think everyone will play. Unless something catastrophic happens with SF5 I think SF4 will die pretty quickly

Watching that Robo-fortune stuff.

YKO Dhalsim
B4 Alpha 3 tourney
Tokido Evo 2k2

You'll see why Dhalsim's really good in the first vid. 2nd vid is just for fun, lots of familiar names for people in that one. Also a lot of Sim. Evo 2k2 playlist is actually a really fun watch. Shows America vs Japan in that game and Apoc destroying people iirc. Tokido played Dhalsim instead of Akuma in Alpha 3 for those that didn't know. It's sort of why seeing him play Dhalsim in SFXT was a cool little throwback.

Unrelated to Sim, an amusing thing about the Battle by the Bay/Evo tourneys was Valle vs Bas that I can't find right now. Bas baited Valle by doing a reset into teleport back and punishing Valle's tech roll. The year after they did a rematch and the exact same setup happened and worked. You could hear a guy on the video scream "It happened again, just like last year!" or something of that sort lol
Thank you!

Swarna

It's not enough to simply not like SF4. You have to rationalize to yourself why it's more popular/cared about about than whatever your favourite game happens to be. The CPT represents forward thinking in a genre where publishers generally don't know what the fuck they're doing with regards to marketing and selling their games. Especially from the Japanese side. So for Capcom to have the most popular game (and with a bigger one coming) is more a case of them being less retarded than the others by default along with ownership of a strong IP like SF.

But to answer the question: it would be less popular, sure. If you want to gauge "how dead" I doubt it would be as "dead" as most other games in this genre tend to be. Smash would be the definitive face of fighting games for one thing. :D MKX could be in a distant 2nd place ahead of SF4 at best. It's still very feasible that SF4 would be ahead of MKX, though.

Also, SF3 is the only game in the franchise's entire history that was not instantly adopted over its predecessor. It would be an anomaly if SF4 wasn't dropped for SF5. And SF5 is pretty bangin' right now, so....

Numb

It's a placeholder game, though. If it's what everyone plays because it's where the most/best competition is, then nobody is attached enough not to move on to the next game that they think everyone will play. Unless something catastrophic happens with SF5 I think SF4 will die pretty quickly

Still have more people entering it at events than other fighters especially depending on how SFV does.
Even if it somehow manages to shit the bed it would get patched with the quickness and people would be back for it more so than with other fighters.
Looking to see if we get a Smash situation with 2 fighters aswell.

Dahbomb

We should've had more Edition select tournaments for USF4 before it hit the bucket.

I am a big fan of that mode, just too bad most players don't care about it. Maybe when there's no more big money attached to SF4 and the main game has been figured out more or less then the players who remain can give it a go. I personally had the most fun with Omega SF4.

I think you're better off playing 3S on FightCade.
Hmm might check that out
please don't ban me

We should've had more Edition select tournaments for USF4 before it hit the bucket.

I am a big fan of that mode, just too bad most players don't care about it. Maybe when there's no more big money attached to SF4 and the main game has been figured out more or less then the players who remain can give it a go. I personally had the most fun with Omega SF4.
TBH I wish there was a way to seperate Omega mode from edition select. Whenever I'd try to host an endless lobby with edition select with hope of facing previous SF4 characters it's always omega characters..

Dahbomb

Hmm might check that out
please don't ban me

TBH I wish there was a way to seperate Omega mode from edition select. Whenever I'd try to host an endless lobby with edition select with hope of facing previous SF4 characters it's always omega characters..
Yeah because Omega characters are fun. Also no one frame links and fewer hard knockdowns.

Option to ban specific editions would be cool though.

'Go-to' game is also kind of a self-sustaining thing though. Everyone assumes there will always be competition -> lots of people play the game knowing there will be an active scene for a long time -> everyone's initial assumption correct (self-fulfilling prophecy/network effect).

Yeah...your point being? It's worse with the leaders of other genres. What does this have to do with your question?

Will SF4 still be that game after Capcom Cup finals? Yes. Until SF5 can be played on computers legitimately.

Are you trying to imply that SF4 is the only game guilty of this, when reality, any sort of multiplayer game exhibits this to some extent?

this is why i like robo fortune

I haven't played Skullgirls in a while though, need to get on that again someday.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is is really the same though? MvC2 was a game driven entirely by community love/support that seemed kind of one-of-a-kind. I dunno.
I think so, you'd just have to swap "love" in the MvC2 scenario for "Stockholm syndrome" in the SF4 one.

Kumubou

I think so, you'd just have to swap "love" in the MvC2 scenario for "Stockholm syndrome" in the SF4 one.
I actually kind of wonder how many people actually love SF4. I get the impression that a lot of high level players like the game (to varying degrees of like) but if every game was equally viable for competitive play (when's the Examu Cup or Hydra GP with a $500,000 purse), I really wonder how many people would pick SF4 over everything else. And out of those people, how many of them pick SF4 because it's the only game they have any real competitive experience with?

I actually kind of wonder how many people actually love SF4. I get the impression that a lot of high level players like the game (to varying degrees of like) but if every game was equally viable for competitive play (when's the Examu Cup or Hydra GP with a $500,000 purse), I really wonder how many people would pick SF4 over everything else. And out of those people, how many of them pick SF4 because it's the only game they have any real competitive experience with?

I would think that the current top Japanese players who play SF4 genuinely enjoy the game because it's not like they don't have alternatives. You also have cases like Infiltration, a player who plays SF4 with barely any local comp, over playing the fighting game that's the most popular in his country, Tekken.

In the west, where a lot of influence comes from twitch, I think it's different. Street Fighter 4 and Marvel 3 wouldn't be what they are right now without streams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom