• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarna

I actually kind of wonder how many people actually love SF4. I get the impression that a lot of high level players like the game (to varying degrees of like) but if every game was equally viable for competitive play (when's the Examu Cup or Hydra GP with a $500,000 purse), I really wonder how many people would pick SF4 over everything else. And out of those people, how many of them pick SF4 because it's the only game they have any real competitive experience with?

Asking the real questions. Why does any of this matter? Don't worry, dude. I'm sure people would rather play random anime game #42 if that big meanie SF4 wasn't on the block with the fat stacks. The kids are playing SF4 to look cool and keep social status but your game is so much better.

I think the Stockholm Syndrome analogy is more accurate to use on fans of other fighting game franchises, frankly. NRS online am cry. ArcSys release schedules. lol @ trying to play Tekken 7 in the west. KOF fans in flat-out denial or on suicide watch. Maybe the problem isn't with people playing SF4 but rather with the fighting game genre being spear-headed by sheer incompetence in general?

The absolute best SF4 players all love the game. There is no denying that. The ones that don't have dropped off that top echelon (not a coincidence). It's become like work for some of them but that's what happens with anything that starts making you money.

SFV is gonna crush everything when it comes out.

I don't think it's going to kill everything but it's going to change a lot of the expectations when it comes to fighting games. Rising Thunder got people to question it but I think SFV is going to make people less tolerant of having to put in gratuitous amounts of homework before actually being able to play the game.

Not good for tekken 7.

Asking the real questions. Why does any of this matter? Don't worry, dude. I'm sure people would rather play random anime game #42 if that big meanie SF4 wasn't on the block with the fat stacks. The kids are playing SF4 to look cool and keep social status but your game is so much better.

I think the Stockholm Syndrome analogy is more accurate to use on fans of other fighting game franchises, frankly. NRS online am cry. ArcSys release schedules. lol @ trying to play Tekken 7 in the west. KOF fans in flat-out denial or on suicide watch. Maybe the problem isn't with people playing SF4 but rather with the fighting game genre being spear-headed by sheer incompetence in general?

The absolute best SF4 players all love the game. There is no denying that. The ones that don't have dropped off that top echelon (not a coincidence). It's become like work for some of them but that's what happens with anything that starts making you money.
I enjoyed reading this.

Numb

I don't think it's going to kill everything but it's going to change a lot of the expectations when it comes to fighting games. Rising Thunder got people to question it but I think SFV is going to make people less tolerant of having to put in gratuitous amounts of homework before actually being able to play the game.

Not good for tekken 7.
When trying to make the game easy doesn't exactly work. Rising Thunder's ease of use is one of it's greatest strrengths.
Really liked SFV compared to SF4 tbh. In the minority most likely.

Dahbomb

Maybe the problem isn't with people playing SF4 but rather with the fighting game genre being spear-headed by sheer incompetence in general?
Agreed.

SF4 was decently made but more importantly it was well supported and they learned with each iteration. Then Capcom went all in with the Capcom Cup pro tour.

It's not like Capcom didn't try to support another fighting game... I mean yeah we all know they didn't do much to support Marvel 3 but they definitely tried to make SFxT a thing and it was part of the inaugural Capcom Cup. If the community and interest isn't there then there is only so much Capcom themselves can do.

Whether someone likes or loves a game isn't important... it's how much time they put into it. And many top USF4 players put a lot of time into it.

gutabo

Just got home from sleeping two hours, taking NGL Brentt to the airport, then going to my first day at a new job. So fucking tired but Brentt's visit was a huge success. It was worth all the crap. Now all is left is to sell that jetBlue credit.

PSX will be where the reveal is. I doubt it's gonna be tommrow.

Ono said we'll know the entire roster by a month or two. He said that in Brazil. I think we'll know the roster before PSX. PSX could reveal story mode stuff and next year's Capcom Cup stuff (during Capcom Cup).

Kumubou

Purely anecdotal, but I know from my experience at every type of event (from small locals to the biggest majors) over the years that people will opine that they really wish they could play whatever game but they end up playing SF4 or UMvC3 because that's where the comp is. It's not a static thing though, and I suspect that most people at least enjoy the games and the competition enough to play it over playing a game they may like marginally more but would require way more work to play. (Outside of insane edge cases like Mike Watson playing 3S even though he hated that game with the fury of 1,000 suns.)

Why does it matter if people play one thing over another? In the end, it really doesn't matter. Even within the scope of videogames, fighting games (even the biggest ones) are a nothingburger compared to something like CoD or LoL. If people are looking for the most competition in a videogame above all else, they're going to play one of those games. It's just frustrating when you have a game that you really like and the biggest reason that other people won't pick it up is because no one else plays it.

(On that note, I do think more people would play something like Arcana Heart if it was an actual viable option for more people. Not that people would be leaving SF in droves for it -- even I'm not insane enough to think that. I think the relative success of niche games in the genre like Skullgirls or KI help drive that point home, and specifically how their best-in-class netcode make playing the game viable for more people.)

However:

Maybe the problem isn't with people playing SF4 but rather with the fighting game genre being spear-headed by sheer incompetence in general?
This I will agree with you on 1000%. It's ridiculous how much clownshoes bullshit this genre has to put up with.

ShinMaruku

Paris Games Week is the European conference for Sony this year. That is too big of an event for Capcom to skip.

https://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin/status/658591746486464512

Like I said I expect something, the Paris thing is still a big event.

It's not a panel, Ono is not rehearsing to go on stage and answer questions about Alex for 2 minutes.

Ono said we'll know the entire roster by a month or two. He said that in Brazil. I think we'll know the roster before PSX. PSX could reveal story mode stuff and next year's Capcom Cup stuff (during Capcom Cup).

Capcom have have a presentation for other games and have nothing for Street Fighter.
I just feel that it seems too soon. Also no leaks is a good look.

Lulubop

Capcom have have a presentation for other games and have nothing for Street Fighter.
I just feel that it seems too soon. Also no leaks is a good look.

But we will know the final two chars by psx. Which isn't far, and they can start actually detailing single player content there.

In any case we'll see, it's only 12 or so hours away.

DunpealD

I'm sure people are too busy playing P4U 2.0 to worry about the big meanies. While EU is busy playing the newest version of Xrd and buying the DLC characters. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

EDIT: The dengeki fighter sequel timing is also quite something.

Whether a community dies or not that's something we will see afterwards and probably irrelevant for now. The biggest success for Capcom would be retaining USFIV playbase like Smash with Melee, but Melee so far has been the biggest and probably only exception so far.
I am actually glad that SFV at least isn't plagued by the "incompetence" you mentioned whether the gameplay can hold its own is another question.
Though to be fair neither Tekken nor ASW have move past Arcades yet, unlike Capcom. Not really an excuse, but it is what it is.

ShinMaruku

There are certainly a sizeable group of people who will only play the big game because that's where people are. However the main thing is not that SF4 is taking away or stunting other games groups but it's just that SF's legacy allows it to grow and maintain it's player base and the other games have always never had a place to grow like SF due to either being niche or having poor support or being tied to the general FGC to grow.
Terrible option, you should NEVER look to the general FGC to grow your game, you are better off doing it with outsiders.

Purely anecdotal, but I know from my experience at every type of event (from small locals to the biggest majors) over the years that people will opine that they really wish they could play whatever game but they end up playing SF4 or UMvC3 because that's where the comp is. It's not a static thing though, and I suspect that most people at least enjoy the games and the competition enough to play it over playing a game they may like marginally more but would require way more work to play. (Outside of insane edge cases like Mike Watson playing 3S even though he hated that game with the fury of 1,000 suns.)

Why does it matter if people play one thing over another? In the end, it really doesn't matter. Even within the scope of videogames, fighting games (even the biggest ones) are a nothingburger compared to something like CoD or LoL. If people are looking for the most competition in a videogame above all else, they're going to play one of those games. It's just frustrating when you have a game that you really like and the biggest reason that other people won't pick it up is because no one else plays it.

(On that note, I do think more people would play something like Arcana Heart if it was an actual viable option for more people. Not that people would be leaving SF in droves for it -- even I'm not insane enough to think that. I think the relative success of niche games in the genre like Skullgirls or KI help drive that point home, and specifically how their best-in-class netcode make playing the game viable for more people.)

However:

This I will agree with you on 1000%. It's ridiculous how much clownshoes bullshit this genre has to put up with.
Clownshoes bullshit is mainly due to the scene trying to grow too fast and the fallacy of there being some fighting game community

Kumubou

Clownshoes bullshit is mainly due to the scene trying to grow too fast and the fallacy of there being some fighting game community
I don't think the playerbase can be blamed for all of the bullshit that the developer causes. There's plenty of dumb shit that people cause, but let's be honest -- that shit happens everywhere. It's just that bigger games have the budget to pay to train players on how to handle media and for PR handlers.

Swarna

The biggest success for Capcom would be retaining USFIV playbase like Smash with Melee, but Melee so far has been the biggest and probably only exception so far.
I would classify that as a failure for Capcom since if you want to compare it to the Smash situation Melee is as popular as it is because the competitive community never adopted Brawl (there is very little overlap between Melee and Smash 4 players today as a result). They clearly want everyone to move on to SFV. There are definitely not as many Street Fighter players as there are Smash players in total so there's no scenario in which you'd want SF4 to remain as a big game since it would fragment a playerbase that isn't too big to begin with. I don't see much to worry about. SFV is looking to scoop up the SF playerbase quite easily as long as they don't fuck up monumentally from here on out. It took a dying arcade scene and SF3 New Gen to fail that task once.

ShinMaruku

I don't think the playerbase can be blamed for all of the bullshit that the developer causes. There's plenty of dumb shit that people cause, but let's be honest -- that shit happens everywhere. It's just that bigger games have the budget to pay to train players on how to handle media and for PR handlers.

It could be argued that if the player base keeps interacting with shit developers they could be complicity with tacitly endorsing shit behavior.

Of course developers could do much better, but I think some issues could be headed off if there was a bit more oversight by the community.

Kalamari

If anything, SFV anime influences may make anime a bit easier to digest for some people. Players may become so accustomed to Karin and Mika pillows that Makoto and Litchi pillows won't seem so offensive any longer.

It could be one game to unite the FGC.

mbpm1

If anything, SFV anime influences may make anime a bit easier to digest for some people. Players may become so accustomed to Karin and Mika pillows that Makoto and Litchi pillows won't seem so offensive any longer.

No...it can't be....

Eh. The guy who wrote a Vega guide on reddit continually mentioned how he hopes it helps people beat up the "waifufags". You could be right, but I am skeptical. It isn't like SFIV didn't have these kinds of characters.

Data mining is crazy. I remember I used to put my coworkers faces in unused uv areas or put silly text fields that get reduced to nothing. And the names of the files...
We even put a normal map face on the calf of a character. But that was a long time ago. Hot coffee fiasco and better compilers prevent a lot of the shenanigans.
The more I think about the data mining the more I think about how much people starve for new/hidden info.

Kalamari

Eh. The guy who wrote a Vega guide on reddit continually mentioned how he hopes it helps people beat up the "waifufags". You could be right, but I am skeptical. It isn't like SFIV didn't have these kinds of characters.

Ya, I could be wrong but it seems to me that SFV has stronger anime influences than SFIV. That dude on reddit clearly needs to get over his fear of anime fans and just enjoy playing the games he enjoys.

Kumubou

Data mining is crazy. I remember I used to put my coworkers faces in unused uv areas or put silly text fields that get reduced to nothing. And the names of the files...
We even put a normal map face on the calf of a character. But that was a long time ago. Hot coffee fiasco and better compilers prevent a lot of the shenanigans.
The more I think about the data mining the more I think about how much people starve for new/hidden info.
I'm not going to lie, I really enjoy reading stories about the dumb stuff that gets hidden in game data at times. Unused content, developer rants, random stuff, whatever. The two craziest examples that I remember was when someone found the entirety of the source code to Beatmania 5th Mix on the release CD itself (ooooooooops) and the entirety of F-Zero AX being found on the F-Zero GX Gamecube disk (not just the data used for the AX cup -- the arcade modes and everything).

That game must still be making decent money to keep investing in it. I wonder will it last til a potential Injustice 2.

I wonder what would happen if we got the Alpha art style again in these current times.
I really like that art style.

Perro

Mika is not more anime than Juri and people are still on denial.

Hey guys I currently have a Madcatz Tatsunoko vs Capcom stick, but it doesn't work too well with the PS3 Skullgirls driver on PS4 games using my Wii CC Pro to USB converter.

I was thinking about modding it, but it looks like it will cost $110 locally. Would it be worth buying another stick instead? I had my eyes on the Hori Fighting Stick Mini 4 but I might get something better instead.

Most people just aren't going to play something that isn't Street Fighter.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I would classify that as a failure for Capcom since if you want to compare it to the Smash situation Melee is as popular as it is because the competitive community never adopted Brawl (there is very little overlap between Melee and Smash 4 players today as a result). They clearly want everyone to move on to SFV. There are definitely not as many Street Fighter players as there are Smash players in total so there's no scenario in which you'd want SF4 to remain as a big game since it would fragment a playerbase that isn't too big to begin with. I don't see much to worry about. SFV is looking to scoop up the SF playerbase quite easily as long as they don't fuck up monumentally from here on out. It took a dying arcade scene and SF3 New Gen to fail that task once.

Gotta call bullshit on this, maybe, mayyybe in the US? But the rest of the world streetfighter is way more popular.

Tizoc

Sim done powered up his YOGA
CSUc0IcWcAAmbkA.jpg:large

Tizoc

After playing the Beta and seeing that they could've taken up Sim's YOGA fire powers up to 12 I'm already
5RtWlFz.gif

For him to be revealed.

The only thing I want for Sim is for Yoga Tower to not be the V-Skill. Really not a fan of old moves becoming V-Skills, makes Cammy feel stale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom