• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Tekken helps with moving the stick around.
Also finish Dark souls with it like we all have. For real tho play Tekken.

Are there any other things I could do to speed up my learning process when it comes to stick play? Like, any fighting games with slow and very deliberate inputs?

The bolded isn't necessarily going to help you get comfortable with a stick, it's rather a matter of being able to still do precise motions while doing them faster. Whatever game you're playing, turn on input display in training mode to see what exactly you're doing wrong when you don't get special moves; when you do get them, check for any unnecessary inputs and try to clean up your motions. Do practice general movement as well, even if you can do specials, moving around can feel awkward for a while too.

I don't know how lenient Skullgirls is in terms of inputs and buffer, it's probably fine though, IIRC they mostly focused on making the motions themselves simple enough. The thing about SFIV is it doesn't require an actual "forward" input for DPs, so that wouldn't help regarding what I just explained if you're practicing that. SFV is the same though, so that wouldn't matter too much to you since that's you intend on playing.

I still really wish they'd fix that though :/

Astarte

Sako's daughter putting seals on his HRAP. Then practicing with him

CSsb87BU8AAoPjj.jpg:large
CSsdFUZUsAA3CxT.jpg

D'aw that's really sweet. She's going to sweep everyone with BB Loops

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Hey there, people. First time posting in here. Having played the PC Beta of SF5 and really enjoying it I went ahead and ordered a Qanba Q1 arcade stick and I'm really liking the feel of it so far. The thing I enjoyed about SF5 in particular was how clean and relatively slow-paced the inputs feel, but as that beta is currently down I can't practice there and have instead resorted to Skullgirls (which I am decent at with a Saturn gamepad) and... oh boy.

Now, obviously almost none of my muscle memory carried over to the stick, but I'm having a really hard time even finding where to get started and have instead resorted to playing platformers and others game instead to get used to it.

Are there any other things I could do to speed up my learning process when it comes to stick play? Like, any fighting games with slow and very deliberate inputs?
Virtua Fighter has a 12frame input buffer, execution is mostly easy

Off-stage shenanigans require a lot of confidence in your character, and they are pretty high risk. Also, most of the top tier characters are almost impossible to gimp. You have zero chance of gimping Pikachu, Mario, ZSS and Sheik. While recovery distance is fine, some recovery moves need invincibility nerfs so the character is more vulnerable.

People are still learning the ledge trump game, too.
Mario is easy enough to gimp, but I agree with the others. Sonic in particular needs an invincibility nerf to his UpB.
If you could actually edgeguard like in any other entry in the series i would agree. But in this game where you cant hog the ledge and the offstage game is severely weak i wouldnt sacrifice stage position.

Offstage game isn't weak, people are just bad at it. You can force people off the ledge by grabbing it after them and they're put in a mini "stun" state when they're forced off, which is enough time for most characters to capitalize with a hit. Nobody does it though because I don't fucking know.

For anyone who thinks that people recover too well, just play Villager. You'll learn how easy it is to keep people offstage.

MrDaravon

Finally loaded for me. Kinda weird that it's in Vegas (no surprise) but no hotel or location info provided. Good trailer, and now you don't have to watch Marvel at Canada Cup for it kappa

Maybe I've been out of the loop but I was hoping the trailer would at least have the venue.

Yeah they have dates so they obviously have a venue, maybe they're still working out room deals or something.

Hey there, people. First time posting in here. Having played the PC Beta of SF5 and really enjoying it I went ahead and ordered a Qanba Q1 arcade stick and I'm really liking the feel of it so far. The thing I enjoyed about SF5 in particular was how clean and relatively slow-paced the inputs feel, but as that beta is currently down I can't practice there and have instead resorted to Skullgirls (which I am decent at with a Saturn gamepad) and... oh boy.

Now, obviously almost none of my muscle memory carried over to the stick, but I'm having a really hard time even finding where to get started and have instead resorted to playing platformers and others game instead to get used to it.

Just keep grinding out specific motions in training mode that require tight timing. When I got my stick, I practiced Blackheart infinites in Marvel 2 until the opponent died (read: a long long time).

Mario is easy enough to gimp, but I agree with the others. Sonic in particular needs an invincibility nerf to his UpB.

Offstage game isn't weak, people are just bad at it. You can force people off the ledge by grabbing it after them and they're put in a mini "stun" state when they're forced off, which is enough time for most characters to capitalize with a hit. Nobody does it though because I don't fucking know.

For anyone who thinks that people recover too well, just play Villager. You'll learn how easy it is to keep people offstage.
Not everyone has a bowling ball to drop on his head. :p He can up B right through Bowser's Fire Breath

Numb

No chip kills is one of the best addtions aswell. Giving up with life on deck cos you know you are dead either way. Dang.
Gotta spend all that meter now.

pixelish

i think the main problem is how segregated fg discussion has become after we were moved to community. like if i want to discuss about the characters in sfv, i can either go to sfv roster discussion, the sfv beta thread or here but obviously, the former two threads are more active than this thread.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Let's not forget people leaving because "reasons"

There are many reasons why the thread has become slow.

1. People left the thread because they deemed community thread as bad thing for some odd reasons.

2. Some posters has become more active in fighting threads

3. Tripon's Weekend Fighting Tournament Threads.

MrDaravon

Ace posted the current standings (SRK updated theirs as well) here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/3r5wsb/updated_capcom_pro_tour_standings_through_nov_1/

If I'm looking at things right 7 of the 8 currently qualified players for CPT Asia are already locks except MOV, so the only potential upset there would be is if MOV secures the Premier spot there, or if the last person to qualify is someone who also isn't currently a lock and secures the Premier spot. Dreamhack Winter is slightly more potentially open in that things won't ultimately change if say Luffy wins, but theoretically someone who isn't already a lock could win/secure the Premier spot and knock Misse or Dakou off.

Rog at least has apparently confirmed he's going to both the final CPT Asia qualifiers as well as Dreamhack; I don't know that I see him both winning the qualifier tournament then also getting top 4 or better (depending on where MOV places in that instance) though. Dreamhack he might have a better shot at. There's still potentially room for someone to squeeze in at either event though.

Sayah

Anyone living in or near NYC can go play Pokken at Dave & Busters in Times Square.

Got my hands on it for a bit the other day, but I was mostly there for Tekken 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom