• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
One hit kill dueling games don't seem to be that popular. The best one I've played was the MovieBattles2 mod for Jedi Academy. Truly the best dueling system I've spent 4 years on (well really it's the only one).

A modern day Bushido Blade would be excellent as long as they don't compromise on the core concept (of killing your opponents with a single clean hit).

Think the last 'instant kill' fighter I played that I enjoyed was the Deadliest Warrior game back on xbox live. It was rough as all heck and not remotely competitive but surprisingly fun and easy to get even some of the most staunchly anti-fighting game people to play. It's janky and definitely a budget title but if you want a silly game with some intensely fast deaths then it's not a bad thing to pull out from time to time. I wouldn't bother with the sequel though, as nonsense-filled as the original can be the rock paper scissors grappling system they added in the second one plus a few other changes really took what little illusion of their being skill to it out of the game :p

I've been playing some Kiai Resonance with a friend. It's a really fun game. Has:

Walk back, forward.
Run
Backdash (not invincible)
Block stance with slow attack
High stance with fast attack, can charge attack to UB.
Parry stance + parry.

Ends up as a fun footsies game.

I've been playing some Kiai Resonance with a friend. It's a really fun game. Has:

Walk back, forward.
Run
Backdash (not invincible)
Block stance with slow attack
High stance with fast attack, can charge attack to UB.
Parry stance + parry.

Ends up as a fun footsies game.
Heh, forgot about that game but i meant to try it. Maybe I'll pick it up sometime soon :3

If we're talking more 'indie' stuff Samurai Gunn and towerfall while being a bit different due to a stronger platforming aspect have always done well wherever I've taken them :3

Dahbomb

Evo trailer coming tomorrow! Get Hype!
ibnJhT5q4E21up.gif

WarRock

One hit kill dueling games don't seem to be that popular. The best one I've played was the MovieBattles2 mod for Jedi Academy. Truly the best dueling system I've spent 4 years on (well really it's the only one).

A modern day Bushido Blade would be excellent as long as they don't compromise on the core concept (of killing your opponents with a single clean hit).
There is an old ass Transformers fighting game for the GB(C?), only released in Japan, with a similar mode - first hit kills, no questions asked. Not sure if there is multiplayer, but it is kinda nuts and fun.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I bet some SFV DLC characters will be announced and playable for the first time at EVO 2016. Basically a given.

K.Sabot

So what was ya'll's highest rank you got in the beta? I didn't get to play sunday, but the highest I stopped at was like 201 with Mika and mostly Chun after they allowed her.

MrDaravon

Probably not until Jan/Feb.

We'll probably know location/date. Maybe there will be some hints on consoles of choice as well.

Offhand what game(s) are on multiple (console) platforms where that would really be any sort of question though? Only thing I can think of is whatever Netherealm puts out next year, and maybe Xrd if it makes it again? Everything else off the top of my head is a pretty obvious lock.

Tripon

Offhand what game(s) are on multiple (console) platforms where that would really be any sort of question though? Only thing I can think of is whatever Netherealm puts out next year, and maybe Xrd if it makes it again? Everything else off the top of my head is a pretty obvious lock.
KI: XB1
Melee: GameCube
Smash 4: Wii U
SFV: PS4
Ultra: PS4
Xrd: PS4
Blaze Blu: PS4
Tekken: Super Gun/PS4
MKX: XB1
Pokken: Wii U
KOF XIV: PS4

Of course, I have no idea of the games picked, but I would imagine most of the consoles picked for tournaments to be on PS4 going forward.

Dahbomb

MKX is the main one.

MrDaravon

MKX is the main one.

Yeah, I wonder if it would even be worth it for MS to moneyhat that one though? I'm sure KI will be back despite it's last-place playercount showing from this year, but that and MKX (or whatever Netherealm has next year) would likely be the only games across the board that would even be on Xbox One at all, doesn't seem like it would be worth their time or money. Anime games + Street Fighter V have pretty much locked down PS4 as the fighting game platform for this generation hands down.

.la1n

MKX works much better in a tournament setting on PS4. Xbox One has the annoying button configuration reset problem in versus.

Killer Instinct is always fun to watch but it doesn't have much player turn out. Don't see any reason for it to be main stage Sunday again. It's better suited for Saturday finals.

MKX works much better in a tournament setting on PS4. Xbox One has the annoying button configuration reset problem in versus.

Killer Instinct is always fun to watch but it doesn't have much player turn out. Don't see any reason for it to be main stage Sunday again. It's better suited for Saturday finals.

should be on friday

MrDaravon

should be on friday

Honestly I'm more interested in how many games they run next year; there was 9 this year which was kinda crazy, but when I look at what they could potentially cut/add choices get pretty hard to bring that number down.

Depends, can it still draw 1000 entrants? Because that what it would need in order to get back without publisher support.

It had 816 entrants this year with no publisher support lol.

I think Marvel makes it at least one more year at Evo. The harder and louder people beat the drum that Marvel isn't dead it convinces me more and more that it is lol. It still draws hype but I feel it's inarguable that it's winding down some. Barring something crazy happening in the immediate future (like Capcom/Disney specifically not wanting it there or something absurd) it's a lock for 2016 IMO, but I think it could meet the chopping block after that for sure without some community momentum or swings.

Dahbomb

Depends, can it still draw 1000 entrants? Because that what it would need in order to get back without publisher support.
It's not going to draw 1000 entrants because of the natural rate of decay. Probably somewhere around the 600-700 mark.

I can see it being in for EVO 2016 but beyond that it's unlikely. The tournament entrants for majors are still holding.

MKX, T7, SFV, Smash 4, Melee, Guilty Gear seem like the easy ones.
Tekken 7 is going to be releasing before EVO? I don't see Tekken 7 being at EVO if it doesn't release in early 2016. It being at EVO 2015 was already pretty miraculous and unprecedented.

I feel USF4 should get one more year as well. They can call it a send off EVO and hype it up as the last USF4 EVO or something. It would be too weird to end SF4's EVO line up when it was at its peak. I know Mr Wiz doesn't want it again but it really should.

MrDaravon

MKX, T7, SFV, Smash 4, Melee, Guilty Gear seem like the easy ones.

I think Ultra will hang on for one more year as a final sendoff and they'll run both games (I can't imagine Ultra makes it back for following years unless there is a significant community backlash against SFV which seems unlikely at this point). I'd say the locks for right now are:

SF4
SFV
Melee
Smash 4
MKX/Netherealm 2016 game
Marvel

I think Guilty Gear and Killer Instinct are virtually locks as 7th and 8th games; Guilty Gear seems to still be bringing the numbers, I think only maybe weirdness regarding Revelator's home/western release timing would be the only thing even potentially stopping it. Killer Instinct I'm also 99% sure will make it because $$$, and if the PC version (I didn't imagine that did I?) is out by Evo that will probably drum up some userbase to be fair. So that'd already be 8 right there.

Not sure what would even be out in time for Evo; Pokken is apparently Q2 with no firm date, but I haven't been following that at all so I have no idea on that game's reception or if that seems likely or not. Unless I missed major news I can't imagine KoF14 will be out by Evo. Tekken 7 definitely won't be out on console by Evo, and I don't know that I see them running that again on arcade boards, that almost seemed like a novelty/promotion thing this year.

Which version though? I've genuinely never met anyone who has preferred the genesis version, but I've seen enough of your beef to be wary.

The SNES version, naturally. I played enough of the Genesis version to know to throw it (and anyone who likes it) into the bushes.

I don't know what would make you think I like the crappy version lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom