• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

FYI, I'll be making the Dreamhack thread tonight instead of Thursday night because it actually starts at 5AM thursday (EST) in Sweden.

Smash Melee has a whopping $30,000 prize pot split between singles and doubles, while USFIV has $15,000 prize pot offered by Capcom.

According to this, I believe Smash is more eSports than Street Fighter. That is how it works right?

Numb

I think that's one of the few games where I let how popular it's become here alter my opinion on it. Before I just thought it was bad. Now I hate it.

Gotta learn how to put stuff in your ignore zone. No matter how popular they are.
Stuff like MOBAs for example

vulva

Gotta learn how to put stuff in your ignore zone. No matter how popular they are.

Tbh, I'm fine hating it since I already didn't like it. MOBA stuff I just have no opinion on since I've never touched them and know nothing about them. They're like cricket to me.

Numb

Tbh, I'm fine hating it since I already didn't like it. MOBA stuff I just have no opinion on since I've never touched them and know nothing about them. They're like cricket to me.

It does depend on if you even played them in the first place.
Otherwise all these mobile games would have taken over.
Played The Last of Us and it was alright. Like the Uncharted stuff more.

FACE

Banned
I think that's one of the few games where I let how popular it's become here alter my opinion on it. Before I just thought it was bad. Now I hate it.

Playing that game just reinforced how much I hate those cover shooters.

I've played around 2.5k hours of Dota 2, here's my expert opinion on that game: Fuck Dota 2.

I want shooters to return to Doom-style combat, where you could see bullets and dodge them.

<3 DotA. Amazing game. I stopped playing because each match is time-consuming (~45 minutes), and the team-based element just pisses me off. If you get stuck with an idiot or two, you're in for an hour of misery and lost time. I love that fighting games are all on me.

I've played around 2.5k hours of Dota 2, here's my expert opinion on that game: Fuck Dota 2.

There's less than half the amount of hours of another guy named FACE on my friends list

face_DOTA2.png

I think we played TF2 a few times back in 2012, but ever since I seriously think this is the only game he's played for 3 years. Every day he's on there, DOTA2.

FACE

Banned
I don't consider Doom to be maze-like. I just has actual level design, which most shooters don't.

One of the reasons why doom still is the GOAT.

There's less than half the amount of hours of another guy named FACE on my friends list

http://s3.postimg.org/qoissz0j7/face_DOTA2.png[IMG]

I think we played TF2 a few times back in 2012, but ever since I seriously think this is the only game he's played for 3 years. Every day he's on there, DOTA2.[/QUOTE]

For his sake I hope he plays with friends.

I feel like I want to like MOBAs, since it's a genre that reminds me of fighting games. It's versus gameplay with a lot of cool characters, but I can't get into the isometric RTS gameplay, and the games take way too long for my liking. I do enjoy Smite, but that's about it.

I look forward to this new wave of "hero based FPS" games like Overwatch, Paragon and LawBreakers. Those should be nice to play alongside the new fighting games next year. I need games that scratch my "versus character action" itch...for lack of a better term.

LoL is the DOA of mobas

I remember a post in a Smite thread, when Smite recently came out with a hero who is basically a giant beetle, and the post said something to the effect of "Wow. DOTA, Smite and Heroes now have a giant beetle hero. I guess LoL doesn't because you can't put tits on a beetle".

how much difference is there between one moba and another one? is it comparable to one fg to another like sf to gg or something?

the core batch of DOTA successors (LoL, DOTA2, HoN) are fairly close, with HotS making more drastic gameplay changes. The gameplay differences between them are less than the differences between numbered SF sequels, to be honest. Those changes can snowball into really substantial differences at the highest level but for the average person I don't think it's a huge deal. MOBA players have blinders when it comes to that sort of stuff, 99% of the game is exactly the same but they'll focus on the 1% that distinguishes their game from the competition.

Stop the anti-Last of Us circlejerk!

Nightii

Banned
Oh boy, this debate here? umm....can we talk about anime?

Also, I miss Soul Calibur's custom weapons, but well, the reality is I just miss Soul Calibur in general, that shit needs a reboot, yo.

shaowebb

I want shooters to return to Doom-style combat, where you could see bullets and dodge them.

<3 DotA. Amazing game. I stopped playing because each match is time-consuming (~45 minutes), and the team-based element just pisses me off. If you get stuck with an idiot or two, you're in for an hour of misery and lost time. I love that fighting games are all on me.

That reminds me...a long while back someone showed early indie alpha footage for a 3d game they were making with the mobility and speed of Vanquish, but you could flip to top down view and all the bullets were bullethell patterns that enemies put out. You were all cybernetic with some neat looking robotic tail I think. Very bitching and very fast looking. A great melding of bullethell and Vanquish style stuff.

I need this in my life...

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Oh boy, this debate here? umm....can we talk about anime?

Also, I miss Soul Calibur's custom weapons, but well, the reality is I just miss Soul Calibur in general, that shit needs a reboot, yo.

I loved playing soul calibur 2 on my gamecube and just unlocking all those cool weapons in story mode. I miss those days.

Shouta

how much difference is there between one moba and another one? is it comparable to one fg to another like sf to gg or something?

The differences are small but accumulate to make the whole product feel different.

I think of LoL as an arcade beat-em up. Designed to be easy to get into and get you into the action real quickly in matches. DOTA2 is more akin to a game like Dark Souls or Bloodborne where you can easily jump into it and mash buttons but you won't get far until you learn how to play the game properly.

The differences are small but accumulate to make the whole product feel different.

I think of LoL as an arcade beat-em up. Designed to be easy to get into and get you into the action real quickly in matches. DOTA2 is more akin to a game like Dark Souls or Bloodborne where you can easily jump into it and mash buttons but you won't get far until you learn how to play the game properly.

i feel LoL as sf4 and Dota 2 as ST in fgc terms

I wonder if there's a limit on how many spells can be in use at once though. I guess we'll find out in a week.
There has to be something in play, otherwise I think you could loop that laser-shooting spirit forever and it would be insanely good.

what sparked this?
The post above mine.

What makes a game? Visual Novels have more interactivity than most QTE sequences commonly found today.
Games have rules and mechanics that you participate in to reach a goal. Visual novels are called what they are for a reason.

That reminds me...a long while back someone showed early indie alpha footage for a 3d game they were making with the mobility and speed of Vanquish, but you could flip to top down view and all the bullets were bullethell patterns that enemies put out. You were all cybernetic with some neat looking robotic tail I think. Very bitching and very fast looking. A great melding of bullethell and Vanquish style stuff.

I need this in my life...
I'd love to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom