• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

vulva

I...ummm...

Anyways, how do you guys get yourself pumped up to start training again in fighting games? I'm finding it hard to give up time to train in fighters over playing other games.
By getting my ass kicked badly and feeling lost against that ass kicking

I...ummm...

Anyways, how do you guys get yourself pumped up to start training again in fighting games? I'm finding it hard to give up time to train in fighters over playing other games.
I remind myself that beating the shit out of mindless AI is a hollow accomplishment.

I...ummm...

No clue, I find it hard too. Especially if the game's something like GG where you have to grind a ton to gain the right to do anything but sit in the corner and die.

With the exception that I don't find other games all that rewarding either.

I don't consider Doom to be maze-like. I just has actual level design, which most shooters don't.
Modern shooters. 90s first person PC games were all about level design and hidden rooms, and back tracking, and exploration. Mainly because everything was level based.

Most shooters these days don't have level design because people don't want it and technology is there that video games don't have to load the entire level at once.

NEO0MJ

I remind myself that beating the shit out of mindless AI is a hollow accomplishment.

I don't know about that. I still find a lot of fun in playing single player games. And besides, fighters aren't the only genre where you fight against other humans. I spent a good deal of time this year playing Splatoon.

No clue, I find it hard too. Especially if the game's something like GG where you have to grind a ton to gain the right to do anything but sit in the corner and die.

Oh yeah, this. And more than any other game anime fighters punish you hard for leaving them so whenever I come return to them I feel like I'm back to square one.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I...ummm...

Toy with opponents.

rtrtrtr.gif

Tripon

I don't know about that. I still find a lot of fun in playing single player games. And besides, fighters aren't the only genre where you fight against other humans. I spent a good deal of time this year playing Splatoon.

AI in other genres are generally written better than in fighters. Or maybe I just notice the patterns/glitches easier in fighters.

rookiejet

I...ummm...

Having players that I want to beat or that challenge me is a big motivator for me, and it's when I'm having the most fun playing. I don't have much of a training mode ethic, but a good butt whopping always sends me there for a time to figure out problems.

NEO0MJ

Toy with opponents.

You're too mean. And dear god at that lightning costume. Why burden Makoto with it?

AI in other genres are generally written better than in fighters. Or maybe I just notice the patterns/glitches easier in fighters.

Probably because fighters are meant to be played against humans and so AI isn't that big a priority. Plus it feels like a nightmare to get it right in this genre.

Having players that I want to beat or that challenge me is a big motivator for me, and it's when I'm having the most fun playing. I don't have much of a training mode ethic, but a good butt whopping always sends me there for a time to figure out problems.

That definitely helps. Too bad my group now only lays Smash.

I...ummm...

I generally go in training mode with something specific in mind that I want to try out or double check. It's like how you can develop the habit of looking up a word in the dictionary the moment you encounter it and realize you don't understand it. Sometimes I think about the game and just wonder "would X work?" then I go and see for myself.

If nothing comes to mind I actually find hit confirm practice enjoyable so I do that often regardless.

vulva

Is Trial mode on SFIV really worth doing? The links are so tough, especially on PS3. Is it really worth for the bnb?

I think it's fun to mess around with and get a feel for a character, but ultimately it's not a big deal.

I still haven't finished all of chun's trials despite playing her at a competent level for years.

That's a great deal but I'm not sure if it makes sense to buy it when I won't have much time to play until like spring next year which is when revelator comes out.

I know this is wishful thinking, but is there any chance of them releasing an upgrade patch for revelator?

Probably not, they update a lot more than just the characters + balancing between the main entries.

Shackzam

Is Trial mode on SFIV really worth doing? The links are so tough, especially on PS3. Is it really worth for the bnb?
Not really some of them are useful, but not really. Trials can usual help you understand the link timing for most character but a lot of the combos are impractical or not efficient.

Skilletor

Probably not, they update a lot more than just the characters + balancing between the main entries.

Revelator has, like, no changes to the old characters. I really don't get the thinking that story can't be added in a patch. It's so weird to me that people actually use this as justification for ASW's backwards business practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom