• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marz

If he wasn't doing anything that's 7 years of no school and no career advancement. Since the whole SF4 thing didn't pan out I can understand him being really frustrated. This happens a lot in eSports where the end of a rope comes and people are left with nothing :T

Was he treating this like a full time job? Was he working a 9-5 grinding it out 8 hours a day, or was he like oh maybe ill go hang out with Yipes and Sanford today we'll play a couple sets then we'll get drunk and mess around.

Even if hes treating it like a job thats no excuse for no education. Enroll in 6 credits a semester at your community college, get a part time job, network, maybe start streaming and getting more active on social media etc.

Like what has he been doing with his time in 7 years that he feels he has accomplished nothing?

Infinite

Was he treating this like a full time job? Was he working a 9-5 grinding it out 8 hours a day, or was he like oh maybe ill go hang out with Yipes and Sanford today we'll play a couple sets then we'll get drunk and mess around.

Even if hes treating it like a job thats no excuse for no education. Enroll in 6 credits a semester at your community college, get a part time job, network, maybe start streaming and getting more active on social media etc.

Like what has he been doing with his time in 7 years that he feels he has accomplished nothing?
He's probably just being really dramatic but who knows.

MrDaravon

Yeah, I feel bad for Die, seems to have realized he's unfortunately not one of the astronomically few players that can get paid enough to do this full-time really. Stuff like this is why even though I'm sad not to see him around as much I really respect people like PR Rog doing the working man thing.

He spent a bunch of time in France!

Also wonder what on earth is going on over at CCG:

Air (エア) ‏@CCG_Air 27m27 minutes ago
I am no longer a part of @CanadaCupGaming. I have to thank you for all the support they have given me for my sf4 years.

Chi-Rithy ‏@ChiRithy 28m28 minutes ago
Sad to announce that I will no longer be part of @CanadaCupGaming. These past few years have been amazing and I will be forever grateful!

Applying for a job with a 7-year gap in your resume is much harder, even if you don't look for work in a particularly prestigious or demanding field.

The sad part is that spending the whole time on the East Coast and being tied to non-professional organizations like EMP and Yomi probably hasn't given him too many networking opportunities from his FGC success. He's not going to end up working for Twitch/Capcom/Iron Galaxy/etc. as a developer or community manager like a lot of FGC illuminati are doing right now.

I don't think he's asking for a job. He's just questioning whether playing fighting games at that level is worth the time and effort if it doesn't amount to anything tangible. He can't look back at his trials and think at one point he was the best, won X championship, etc.

It's like the opposite of Poongko's recent sentiment about his experiences.

Getting in through development is hard. Not a lot of spots and you have to offer more than just being a top player.

One of the hardest things to explain to gamers is that you have to contribute more in development besides being good at games. Also taking criticism and knowing what states games are in and what needs to be done vs what you want to be done.

I know Die is a grown-ass man but I feel bitter how Triforce strung along his friend/player.

I don't think he's asking for a job. He's just questioning whether playing fighting games at that level is worth the time and effort if it doesn't amount to anything tangible. He can't look back at his trials and think at one point he was the best, won X championship, etc.

It's like the opposite of Poongko's and recent sentiment about his experiences.

he isn't, I'm just saying that if he effectively spent his 20s pursuing professional gaming and didn't even get the peripheral rewards of participating in the community, I don't think he'd be unjustified in feeling like he wasted his time.

However I don't feel like that should be an indictment on professional gaming or pursuing your dreams in general, Dieminion just had probably the worst possible path for it by refusing legit sponsors in favor of the FGC wu tang clan. A lot of people have had success through their work around fighting games, even if they didn't win tournaments or have a massive social media following.

ShinMaruku

Getting in through development is hard. Not a lot of spots and you have to offer more than just being a top player.

Presicely why I have never given it a shot, however I think somebody like Dieminion could give something on the CM side then transition into somewhere else in develeopment. I don't think the time he spent is wasted, he could convert it in many different ways.

It's like the opposite of Poongko's and recent sentiment about his experiences.

What did Ponngko say?

K.Sabot

So is XRD $29.99 with the 20% already off? Or will it be $24 with the 20% off?

This dictates whether I buy two steam cards or not cause my bank transfers are gonna take too long.

K.Sabot

We're at the turning point where fighting games are finally intersecting with the big esports explosion that has hit the newer games, so it's entirely possible that "pro gamer" becomes a viable occupation in the future.

I believe SF4 was just a bit too early (like 3 years) to catch that same esports wave that hit the other games. The community also wasn't ready, but I think we are now.

Base price is $30 and it's 20% off for the first week making it $24.

1 card it is.

mbpm1

Who the fuck is Triforce?

Wow, I forget you don't know these things

Exploitative dude who sold people the dream about becoming a pro gamer back in the 90s and took way more than he should have of their cut of winnings. Left players out in the cold as he liked; he had nuckledu at 16 fly to a major tourney by paying for his air fee and didn't pay for his hotel or travel from the airport. Delusional, megalomaniacal, and somehow managed to get people like Justin Wong and Sanford into his little cult.

Here for an Ex-EMP's account of his time with TriForce

Or here for random humour related to him (cut from an actual documentary)

Shouta

Yeah, I feel bad for Die, seems to have realized he's unfortunately not one of the astronomically few players that can get paid enough to do this full-time really. Stuff like this is why even though I'm sad not to see him around as much I really respect people like PR Rog doing the working man thing.

He spent a bunch of time in France!

Also wonder what on earth is going on over at CCG:

Looks like Lapchi is stopping his sponsorship plans in general.

Shackzam

Who the fuck is Triforce?
The real fgc chef boyardee illuminati
original.jpg

ShinMaruku

Jamaica had to have a balance in their massive contributions to the world of Bob Marley, reggae, Cool Runnings, reefer culture. The jamaican Yin to all that Yang were Triforce and DJ.

why you getting command grabbed so much!!?

Phase 4 is unsafe. I was trying to open him up and that throw came out. Also he can garentee some command grabs. He's very solid.

ShinMaruku

I know sometimes it's funny to bag on triforce, but the man had the run of the place for sometime, that makes you think about how the community or lack there of was structured back in those days.

Wow, I forget you don't know these things

Exploitative dude who sold people the dream about becoming a pro gamer back in the 90s and took way more than he should have of their cut of winnings. Left players out in the cold as he liked; he had nuckledu at 16 fly to a major tourney by paying for his air fee and didn't pay for his hotel or travel from the airport. Delusional, megalomaniacal, and somehow managed to get people like Justin Wong and Sanford into his little cult.

Here for an Ex-EMP's account of his time with TriForce

Or here for random humour related to him (cut from an actual documentary)

Justin Wong is with this dude??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom