• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

I don't believe for a second that Capcom intended Firebrand to destroy your whole team off of one touch with an unblockable set up just like I don't think Capcom intended SF4 to be played with hard knockdown into unblockable set ups.

If that's a design feature of the game then there was no point in assigning nerfs in UMVC3 to begin with, stuff like Magneto's EMD is a joke compared to that. And games where stuff like that is in fact a feature then they are definitely not worth their time because it shows that the developer has no idea how to make fighting games.

My most anticipated titles for 2016, from the Gaming side thread; thought it would be interesting to talk about this over here:
1) Street Fighter V: I love fighting games, and this is going to be a big one.
2) The Last Guardian: when the trailer for this came on, my wife pulled the car over and we watched it together on my phone. Hype.
3) Persona 5: I still haven't finished P4G, but I have loved what I have played.
4) Dark Souls III: I still have to play DSII and the BB expansion, but I enjoy this series.
5) Odin Sphere Leifthrasir: the best story ever with good combat? I'm in!
6) Final Fantasy XV: hopefully this stores the series; I'll wait for reviews.
7) King of Fighter XIV: hopefully they make the game decent before release. I have my eye on this, which is a compliment in-of-itself.
8) Tekken 7: I'm unsure as to whether I'll get this, because we might get a new BlazBlue and Guilty Gear along with Street Fighter V next year. That would be a lot to focus on. I'm open to the game, though.
9) Valkyria: Azure Revolution: I have to a lot more to be convinced of a purchase, but I find the world interesting.
10) Killer Instinct Season 3: this is assuming that KI comes out on PC at some point next year. I will definitely pick this game up. I put it at #10 because its status is uncertain in my mind.

Special mention to wondering how Scalebound will turn out.

I don't believe for a second that Capcom intended Firebrand to destroy your whole team off of one touch with an unblockable set up just like I don't think Capcom intended SF4 to be played with hard knockdown into unblockable set ups.

If that's a design feature of the game then there was no point in assigning nerfs in UMVC3 to begin with, stuff like Magneto's EMD is a joke compared to that. And games where stuff like that is in fact a feature then they are definitely not worth their time because it shows that the developer has no idea how to make fighting games.
The FIRST thing I did when I found out that Firebrand has an unblockable is test it in combination with every pinning assist in the game. How could Capcom have not done the same?

I think they knew about Firebrand's unblockable loop. What they might not have known about is the hard tag Doom combos and Doom infinites. Firebrand's design by himself doesn't break the game.

El Sloth

Banned
Aww man :(

Kevin Landon ‏@Di3mini0n 24m24 minutes ago

The last 8 years are timeless to me & most memorable experiences of my life. Meeting new people & making valuable friends around the world.

Kevin Landon ‏@Di3mini0n 20m20 minutes ago

I started SF4 when I was 22. Quit my job and decided to follow my dream. I'm 29 now and I'm not so sure if I can do it again.

Kevin Landon ‏@Di3mini0n 8m8 minutes ago

Anyway just had to clear this topic. Thanks for hearing me. And again thanks to everyone who followed me and watched me playing for years.​

10) Killer Instinct Season 3: this is assuming that KI comes out on PC at some point next year. I will definitely pick this game up. I put it at #10 because its status is uncertain in my mind.

Killer Instinct comes out for PC in March of next year. Unless something changes, then that should be the date.

Dahbomb

How could Capcom not have figured out that when you turn on DT with Vergil in XF3 he gets XF5? That's one of the first thing I figured out in the game when I put it in my console.

The answer is that Capcom did not have time to balance test 50 characters in less than a year especially the newer ones when combined with other mechanics and synergies.

Just like how characters like Elena had messed up hurt boxes in USF4 when they first launched. And in that version they were only adding 4 characters, UMVC3 was adding 12 in less than 10 months.

Viper actually had a standing non TAC infinite in Vanilla that was nerfed/removed in UMVC3 (she got a new one in UMVC3 though). Capcom tried to remove/nerf as many long combos as they could find (they reduced the loops in the Dante combos for example, they also nerfed Magneto and Sentinel combos). They didn't get all of them of course. Fact of the matter is that game was not even close to being figured out in Vanilla for them to put out a complete balance patch. Hell the community didn't really figure out the game until a few years later.

Killer Instinct comes out for PC in March of next year. Unless something changes, then that should be the date.
Oh, great! Almost the entire cast appeals to me visually, so I just have to figure gameplay out. I always thought it would be Glacius, but Cinder and the mummy dude look pretty fantastic, and I was a Sabrewulf main back in the day.

How could Capcom not have figured out that when you turn on DT with Vergil in XF3 he gets XF5? That's one of the first thing I figured out in the game when I put it in my console.
Why assume they didn't know that?

Just like how characters like Elena had messed up hurt boxes in USF4 when they first launched. And in that version they were only adding 4 characters, UMVC3 was adding 12 in less than 10 months.
She was a lazy port.

Viper actually had a standing non TAC infinite in Vanilla that was nerfed/removed in UMVC3 (she got a new one in UMVC3 though). Capcom tried to remove/nerf as many long combos as they could find (they reduced the loops in the Dante combos for example, they also nerfed Magneto and Sentinel combos). They didn't get all of them of course. Fact of the matter is that game was not even close to being figured out in Vanilla for them to put out a complete balance patch.
But we knew stuff that was left in.

Dahbomb

Oh, great! Almost the entire cast appeals to me visually, so I just have to figure gameplay out. I always thought it would be Glacius, but Cinder and the mummy dude look pretty fantastic, and I was a Sabrewulf main back in the day.
Breh how you going to play it on your PC though?

The only thing I recommend is learning the game's combo system and how it works. The footsies are very much like Street Fighter. Only difference is that successful footsies can start a combo in KI.

Everything else is very character specific.

Also, you need to upgrade to Windows 10 to play KI when it releases.

Beckx

All these missed toaster opportunities.

Personally I would have went with something like "Well if phones can run win10, why not toasters"

There will be more than enough time for that while he's reinstalling all his drivers, rebooting, and asking Clippy for help.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Nobody retires from Street Fighter forever. He'll be back.

I mean hell, we just saw a tournament won by Graham freaking Wolfe.

Yeah I love it.

SRK's wiki on it is fantastic btw.

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Super_Street_Fighter_2_Turbo

Playing the game reminds me it's still probably my favorite fighting game due to nostalgia alone.

KOF02 is HARD. Despite having less moves than SF (I think?) I have no IDEA how to get in or what the game plan is for ANY of these characters besides Terry and the old Fatal Fury gang. I wanna learn my girl Yuri. Game is tough and I should stick to arcade mode single player for the time being.

I love the pacing of both ST and 2002 (UM anyway) to bits. Got to play UM pretty much the whole evening at the weekly \o/

...my confirms were nonexistent ;__;

Yeah, it is. A shame my friend who has some knowledge on the game hasn't been in the mood to play KoF for months )=

I really want to learn at least the bare bones basics. The pacing of the fights is just amazing.

And Vanessa is love.

2k2 pacing is just amazing. Wish it was The Big Game.

Personally I would do the opposite. Guile for life. Though if you want akuma level stupidness play chun.

Chun and O.Ryu. Mmm, those hitboxes.

ChunLi_crfrwrd2.png

ORyu_djrh3.png

https://twitter.com/STRhanasu/status/649740324882001924

There are a lot of inescapable situations that just murder you, or are close to inescapable anyways. If they go off you die pretty much instantly. Like Negative Edge throw OS is cute, Dee Jay Touch of Death, the entire existence of Claw, etc. Then there's the just silly shit like Chun Li having super and walking at you. No respectable ST player will tell you that game isn't the most busted, cheapest shit at this point lol you gotta at least learn how all that works to play the game.

Gief can stun you in one hit. Old Zangief's reversal SPD hits fullscreen. The game can randomly rob you of the right to do a reversal. Fireball pressure in the corner is evil. Throw loops galore. Fei can pretty much keep Chun stuck in almost gapless blockstun forever (3 reps of loop, Chun can gamble for a throw but Fei can counter with DP. If Chun misses, 3 loops again, eating ST-grade - that is to say, ridiculously high - chip damage).

Old Shotos (O.Ryu, O.Ken, Akuma) air tatsus' first active frame has a 50% chance to be unblockable.

The list goes on, and on, and on. ST is a really fun game to play, but it's also hilariously broken.

just play vega. You are gonna lost a lot b/c ST is more footsie and matchup oriented to sf4 so if you don't know how to play the matchup or your buttons you'll just get bodied

I don't know if Vega is good advice even. He just flat out loses the ground game in many of his matchups, and pretty much has to play as a walldive machine because his buttons' strength is in frame data and reach, not priority or payoffs from landing them.

I hope KOF becomes big again. At least big enough so we don't have 2 Smash titles at EVO.

This usually puzzles me a lot because KOF (2k2, 13) and Melee at least have a ton in common.

Meet Floof:
KqlC550.gif

it kind of puts a new perspective on Triforce, where he's not just a clown who says dumb quotable things, but also someone who probably wasted years of several peoples' lives through vague promises and chronic mismanagement.

Nevermind how viable it is to quit your job to play games professionally, it's just super unfortunate that dieminion probably had a much harder time of it than most people who tried. Imagine where Justin would be right now if he didn't bail early on EMP and join EG as soon as he could.

hitsugi

I always start conservative and see how the opponent starts

I don't really play online though, shit isn't fun or particularly interesting unless it's endless

Online play is mostly trash. A lot of play style modifications find their way in, or simply taking Ls if you insist on trying to play the same as you do offline. With the right connections, though, SF4 had some good moments online.

SFV has fared better so far from a netcode perspective, so I look forward to that despite the fact that being in LA means I'm not far from good matches pretty much whenever..

They actually wrote Mike "mike ross" ross.

I guess that's the end of papatiwawa's nico streams.

He hasn't been on his show recently. I've seen a couple of people hosting it which I found strange at the time. His show has drinking on it sometimes as it's a talk show with a relaxed atmosphere. He also has a show with KSK and Sentosu.

Kevin Landon ‏@Di3mini0n 31m31 minutes ago
I loved Guile as a character and I believed if I put the time and effort into mastering him, that I could be a champion. It's been 8 years.

Getting 5-0'd to Kuckledu that night must have shaken him to the core.

Dahbomb

Dieminion getting a bit dramatic there with the 8 years comment. Sounding like the old lady from Titanic.

tumblr_inline_mru6pebj0e1qz4rgp.gif

He's not the only one who spent that long dedicated to a single game. There are people who played a lot but didn't even make it to Capcom Cup. It's a tough situation but this was the life that was chosen.

Mizerman

Dieminion getting a bit dramatic there with the 8 years comment. Sounding like the old lady from Titanic.

tumblr_inline_mru6pebj0e1qz4rgp.gif

He's not the only one who spent that long dedicated to a single game. There are people who played a lot but didn't even make it to Capcom Cup. It's a tough situation but this was the life that was chosen.

That last sentence sounds like a typical line in shonen anime directed at the main character.

Marz

What job did he quit to pursue his "dream"? pretty sure he wasnt working anywhere significant so its not like he couldnt have gotten a similar job in 7 years he just chose not to.

Anne

What job did he quit to pursue his "dream"? pretty sure he wasnt working anywhere significant so its not like he couldnt have gotten a similar job in 7 years he just chose not to.

If he wasn't doing anything that's 7 years of no school and no career advancement. Since the whole SF4 thing didn't pan out I can understand him being really frustrated. This happens a lot in eSports where the end of a rope comes and people are left with nothing :T

ShinMaruku

This is why I will never say e-sports is some viable career path like some people like to pretend. Only for the high end and for a few. I'm sure he'll be back when he gets settled again.

Dahbomb

Until they start giving out scholarships for e sports... Nah stay in school/don't quit your job.

And Dieminion didn't waste his 8 years if he was pursuing his dream. He may have not succeeded now but maybe later on he can win at a different game using the fundamentals he acquired over this time.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea there isn't enough money in esports (especially FGC) to reliably pursue it as a career. You really gotta be on top to make any bread.

notworksafe

Until they start giving out scholarships for e sports... Nah stay in school/don't quit your job.

And Dieminion didn't waste his 8 years if he was pursuing his dream. He may have not succeeded now but maybe later on he can win at a different game using the fundamentals he acquired over this time.

Heroes of the Dorm paid for the players' college career (or gave them $25k to pay student loans if they were seniors). Something like that for the college-going FGC would be super cool.

Applying for a job with a 7-year gap in your resume is much harder, even if you don't look for work in a particularly prestigious or demanding field.

The sad part is that spending the whole time on the East Coast and being tied to non-professional organizations like EMP and Yomi probably hasn't given him too many networking opportunities from his FGC success. He's not going to end up working for Twitch/Capcom/Iron Galaxy/etc. as a developer or community manager like a lot of FGC illuminati are doing right now.

Shouta

A lot of folks getting hired right now are also FGC personalities far more nowadays. Die is still a player so it's harder to get in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom