• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

4r5

Trust me, I know the value of never giving up unless it's something I know I got no chance in, then I know what time it is to fold.
How convenient that you know so much about yourself that you know you can't win, and so you choose to lose.

The reality is, you don't decide who wins and who loses. Winners and losers are for the game to decide. As long as the game hasn't given you the L, you keep playing. It's as simple as that. This ain't got nothing to do with hope or skill, it's just plain ol' playing the game in front of you.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
How convenient that you know so much about yourself that you know you can't win, and so you choose to lose.

The reality is, you don't decide who wins and who loses. Winners and losers are for the game to decide. As long as the game hasn't given you the L, you keep playing. It's as simple as that. This ain't got nothing to do with hope or skill, it's just plain ol' playing the game in front of you.

Honestly for me the lower my life gets the harder I try.

ShinMaruku

Who else knows me better than I? :E

There are some points in the game that when you are in a certain situation, your turn is over. Like say if you get stunned and somebody has some bar to burn, you are gonna take that L, game has told you that the L is coming. Of course it's never so clear cut but there are situations where you can tell you can't win. You are down 30% you are completely outclassed and they are in your head, you are done. Only thing can be done is information gathering unless you can't get any.

Of course I blame myself, I can't get hits outta FSE so I can't come back.

You saw what Daigo did to Xian, Sim ain't got shit.
Xian beat him last year with Sim, tried to do the same thing this year and lost because Daigo leveled up. Sim vs Evil Ryu isn't a bad MU for Sim IMO. Regardless of character if Sim gets put into the corner, he's screwed.

Shin coming through with the #PEAK scrubquotes rn

ShinMaruku

Xian beat him last year with Sim, tried to do the same thing this year and lost because Daigo leveled up. Sim vs Evil Ryu isn't a bad MU for Sim IMO. Regardless of character if Sim gets put into the corner, he's screwed.

Shin coming through with the #PEAK scrubquotes rn

I understand the logic behind Xian's thinking in that moment but it was obvious Daigo leveled up. But would you not agree if you are as sim and in corner and has 30% life to 80% are the chances of him coming back good? Probably almost negligable.

Grakl

I understand the logic behind Xian's thinking in that moment but it was obvious Daigo leveled up. But would you not agree if you are as sim and in corner and has 30% life to 80% are the chances of him coming back good? Probably almost negligable.

why would this stop you from trying to win a round

WarRock

A good Elena can be a Yun killer, it's one of the more troublesome matchups for him.
I'm not a good one lol

But truth to be told, I discovered Elena is his kryptonite. Only character of his that gives me some trouble with her is Gouki and even then that's because my defense sucks. Then I pick Healing and he gets madder than Sanford :V

It's possible though. There's many factors as to how you can come back.

1. U1 stocked
2. Super stocked.
3. Manage to get out of the corner and reset the sitation
4. Opponent makes a mistake (Jumps in and gets AA ex Upflame then eats a hard knockdown)

There's more too, yes, your chances are slim, but why give up? Who thinks like that? lol

ShinMaruku

There's more too, yes, your chances are slim, but why give up? Who thinks like that? lol

An utter pessimist

Of course I am working on fixiing that mentality by taking a hella long break and playing other games I understand. Then after the right time I jump back in. I must obliterate the old thoughts. Also needs to not go into it pissed. If I get pissed I put it down, scale up better that way.

Tularensis

Neo Member
KOFXI, and that's Jyazu from Kizuna Encounter.

Probably because their core fan base seems to prefer the classic style.

Which is a shame because XI had all the pieces in place to really shake the series up. As much as I love the classic style, the tag system in XI was an absolute breath of fresh air. With the crazy improvements they made from 2003 (trash) to XI, I can't even imagine the refinement they could have brought with another iteration of their tag system. Instead, we got KOF 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPc5hY8kT8Y Linking this vid because it was the first one I saw and it had a Silber/Tizoc team wrecking shop and eventually some Vanessa action. They really need to make a KOF XI UM with the 2003 and XI cast.

Especially with Comeback Engine tho?

I'd say that ultra is the 2nd best in the game for comebacks right behind Healing.

One knockdown, throw a meaty fireball, and you're in there. 2 resets off of strings and that's like 80% of the opponents life gone.

Against a character without a good reversal? Das it mane

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You should get mad at yourself but only in the why don't I know how to stop such a thing or why am I still doing this type way. If you give up you can't push yourself to handle stress in tense situations and you can't developed the ability to
mentally slow down time in tense situations

Gotta push yourself to always give it 110% in the worst moments

ShinMaruku

Especially with Comeback Engine tho?

I'd say that ultra is the 2nd best in the game for comebacks right behind Healing.

One knockdown, throw a meaty fireball, and you're in there. 2 resets off of strings and that's like 80% of the opponents life gone.

Against a character without a good reversal? Das it mane

I'm sure that Ultra is really good. But I don't get dem knock downs or the resets. That is where I start. Can't really mount a comeback if you can't get the part that starts it. I mean sure I could win by luck, but I never try to rely on luck, I try to mitigate it.

Grakl

I'm sure that Ultra is really good. But I don't get dem knock downs or the resets. That is where I start. Can't really mount a comeback if you can't get the part that starts it. I mean sure I could win by luck, but I never try to rely on luck, I try to mitigate it.

do you do research or hit training mode?

There is always the option of quoting Sun Tzu I guess.

The good fighters of old first put themselves beyond the possibility of defeat, and then waited for an opportunity of defeating the enemy. To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself. Thus the good fighter is able to secure himself against defeat, but cannot make certain of defeating the enemy.

Shin, I think a big part of the reason you may be losing is you aren't adapting. If something isn't working, don't keep doing the same thing over and over.

In the Vega fight I posted last page, I got my ass beat in the first round. In the second round, I adapted and applied my game knowledge. I went for a risk. It paid off and I got the second round despite having a major life deficit compared to Vega at one point.

How are you analyzing your tendencies? I realize that I struggle with getting thrown a lot, so I've made it a goal to work on my teching.

I realize I had light pressure in my offensive game, so I've studied on how to improve it.

The more you learn the game, the more you learn what your options are in any given moment, allowing you to adapt.

I remind you, I used to not be able to touch Vulva.

Now I can do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqX2cAoe46M

One thing I suggest doing is remember your thinking on any move at any particular moment, and sharing it with people you play with and ask them for a better alternative if it didn't work out in your favor. If you have no one like that, find some. If you still can't, I highly suggest watching and analyzing your own replays and doing that very thing. Try to correct those tendencies you have and analyze why you made what move at x moment.

Grakl

Shin, I think a big part of the reason you may be losing is you aren't adapting. If something isn't working, don't keep doing the same thing over and over.

In the Vega fight I posted last page, I got my ass beat in the first round. In the second round, I adapted and applied my game knowledge. I went for a risk. It paid off and I got the second round despite having a major life deficit compared to Vega at one point.

How are you analyzing your tendencies? I realize that I struggle with getting thrown a lot, so I've made it a goal to work on my teching.

I realize I had light pressure in my offensive game, so I've studied on how to improve it.

The more you learn the game, the more you learn what your options are in any given moment, allowing you to adapt.

I remind you, I used to not be able to touch Vulva.

Now I can do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqX2cAoe46M

One thing I suggest doing is remember your thinking on any move at any particular moment, and sharing it with people you play with and ask them for a better alternative if it didn't work out in your favor. If you have no one like that, find some. If you still can't, I highly suggest watching and analyzing your own replays and doing that very thing. Try to correct those tendencies you have and analyze why you made what move at x moment.

your chun playstyle is so cute omg

It doesn't look aggressive at all, looks like you move very carefully. You don't backdash and you press some odd buttons at odd times, but they're not necessarily wrong. You're new to SFIV?

Is playing it seriously for 6 months "new"? I may not be pressing the right buttons at the right time because I'm still new to frame data and don't necessarily know how to implement it into my game yet.

vulva

There are tons of examples of this happening with low damage characters. Ever seen the JWong Cyclops comeback?

I only give up when I'm just plain tired of playing. I have made many comebacks, and I have been enraged by many comebacks made against me. :p Especially in Marvel...

Totally agreed on the TAC infinites, but the game has been called broken long before those were discovered.

It is inappropriate to apply the word broken to things that are working as intended.

So if I made a game where one button infinites were part of the design document and someone called the game broken, you think that'd be incorrect?

You don't need to get into those situations, it just helps getting the ball rolling in your favour. If you don't put the time in, don't expect results.

And having a defeatist mentality like that isn't going to get you anywhere.. in anything.

I think I can beat you.

Anyway.. back to this. Now that you have it on PS4, let's see what that Chun can do

Grakl

Is playing it seriously for 6 months "new"? I may not be pressing the right buttons at the right time because I'm still new to frame data and don't necessarily know how to implement it into my game yet.

yeah, that's new. it's like you're trying to play footsies but stumbling the whole time, dunno. Not to knock you or anything, I like it

ShinMaruku

You play the game different than others would is probably his meaning. Think of it how Du plays. Playing different can be a good thing. Espcially when people think it should be X or Y way.

Works hella well in DOA where people are like "He won't do that it's unsafe"
Nah then you DO do it and then they realize they ran into the stupidest mix up party they never knew they were invited to.

While SFIV has a lot of hard knockdowns, it also has a lot of ways to avoid bad situations. Backdash invincibility for example. If SFIV scares you, I'm not sure how you're going to play SFV when it comes out.

Playing FGs seriously for 6 months is fresh out the womb :>

:3

I'm a baby.

tumblr_n5qu6314111s8ybr9o1_500.gif

yeah, that's new. it's like you're trying to play footsies but stumbling the whole time, dunno. Not to knock you or anything, I like it

:(

ShinMaruku

My only isue with SFV was I would hate most of the cast but Cammy and Karin are fine. Oh and Since Juri and Ibuki are in, I don't care about the rest of the cast. Nobody else speaks to me.

hitsugi

I usually start matches off fairly casually until I have an "oh shit" moment. Or I play overly aggressive until I hit a point where I need to tone it down. The lower the life bar gets, the more conservative I get.. which is probably a bad trait.

Grakl

I always start conservative and see how the opponent starts

I don't really play online though, shit isn't fun or particularly interesting unless it's endless

Just because stuff remained from Vanilla doesn't mean that it was intentionally kept in ie. TAC infinites or Skrull infinite. Capcom had very little time to actually detect and change everything wrong with the game.

When I say stuff like "Firebrand unblockable" I don't mean that the actual move was unintended but rather its application was unintended. Pretty sure no one at Capcom intended for Firebrand to wipe your team off of one touch.

There are other random glitches in the game too like bouncing the assist character multiple times with the down TAC. Stuff that would've gotten fixed quick if it was detected in time.

Also word from MarlinPie is that he discovered the TAC infinites in the game early and then talked to Seth Killian about it. He got the impression that Seth knew about it but Capcom ran out of time before they could fix it. I wish I had that stream on me, it was pretty educational.
I totally believe that TAC infinites are an accident, but not Skrull's infinite. That's an easy fix, and it was common knowledge. I remember a Niitsuma interview where he said they found some things in the game that they felt was beyond human ability, so they didn't bother to change them. Skull infinite was probably in that category, along with the C. Viper infinite.

I completely believe that Firebrand is intended to destroy your entire team off of one touch. Just like Zero.

TAC down bounce on assists was used here and there in Vanilla tournaments, wasn't it?

I think you can call Marvel broken due to TAC infinites, but people have been calling it broken since the day of release just because of its design decisions. I find that irritating.

KOFXI, and that's Jyazu from Kizuna Encounter.

Probably because their core fan base seems to prefer the classic style.
Too bad, because that looks like a lot of fun.

So if I made a game where one button infinites were part of the design document and someone called the game broken, you think that'd be incorrect?
Working as intended, so clearly not broken. It may not be a game you like, and it may not be a good game, but the label "broken" is unwarranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom