• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Arguably Star Wars has enough weapons/modes/maps/vehicles to pass the bare minimum for multiplayer shooter. Just like SFV with its stages and roster just passes the minimum.

But the bar has been raised and other games just deliver far more for the same or less price. SF4 on day 1 was more complete than SFV is, that's just how it is. Hell MVC3 on day 1 was more complete than SFV (it didn't have spectator mode on launch too!).

It really is a shame Capcom rushed SFV out just for the sake of the Pro Tour. They definitely have to know such a barebones package isn't acceptable. For the sake of the health of the game I hope people still buy and stick with it, but it really doesn't deserve it right now.

K.Sabot

Two player lobbies gonna set the correct precedent for online sets in SFV before they patch in the 8 player lobbies.

Fuck large lobbies and fuck waiting!

It's a damn shame because I personally really enjoy the flow and feel of SFV. I enjoy playing it quite a bit.

But reviewers definitely need to pop off against the product because it's unacceptable in today's market. This wouldn't be an issue if this was like a F2P product or even $20 like Killer Instinct.. but at $60 you need to put out more stuff on release than that. If reviewers can dock points off of Star Wars Battlefront (and I can tell you many of them have very strong feelings for Star Wars plus bias) then they can definitely got to town on SFV.

lol principles

Dahbomb

Two player lobbies gonna set the correct precedent for online sets in SFV before they patch in the 8 player lobbies.

Fuck large lobbies and fuck waiting!
That's a silly argument when lobbies can be set to the player amount. You are not forced to run the full 8 man lobbies.

lol principles
Yeah man, god forbid people have principles and standards, and not just lap up whatever new product a company is hustling.

K.Sabot

No but people need to be coerced into the superior way of playing online, too many SF4 lobbies were 3-4 players, hopefully it sticks well after they add in higher player count lobbies.

Yeah man, god forbid people have principles and standards.

I value my convenience over those

No but people need to be coerced

sZImFnbw_400x400.png

Dahbomb

No but people need to be coerced into the superior way of playing online, too many SF4 lobbies were 3-4 players, hopefully it sticks well after they add in higher player count lobbies.
This is where ZTS and/or Marz will come and tell you that you are a scrub because you hate waiting because you aren't good enough to stay on top of the Lobby.

Or something.

vocab

I don't like 8 man lobbies, but I usually run 3-5 man lobbies with the people I always play fighting games with. We chill in mumble and talk shit, and teach each other. It's just fucking shit. Sure we can take turns play each other, but if we all want to play something, we might as well play dota.

I wish they made it so you could fight other people in the lobby, instead of king of the hill. But sounds like it might be SF4 style lobbies...

GorillaJu

You got a game earlier than expected with all the core features that make it a competitive game, and a guarantee that they'll continue to add bells and whistles.

"Slap in the face"

Nah, gamers aren't entitled at all.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
8-player lobbies are good for certain kinds of training but you can get pretty much the same "I actually give a shit about winning this match" psychological effect by playing ranked matches.

I hope they eventually add in a mode where you can only play by using RM tokens. Kinda like that one Tekken F2P. Win, get a free game. Lose, put up another quarter.

Capcom plans on supporting the game for the rest of this generation with regular updates. I'd like to think we can look past the shortcomings on release if it's a given that they will be repaired in short order.

CurlyW

vocab

You got a game earlier than expected with all the core features that make it a competitive game, and a guarantee that they'll continue to add bells and whistles.

"Slap in the face"

Nah, gamers aren't entitled at all.

Your standards are incredibly low if you think it's okay to ship a bare bone fighting game product when other companies have consistently put out a product with better value. It's okay to criticize a game man. If we don't criticize a company/product, it will never get better. It's 2016, and we aren't even getting the bare minimum of standards that should be in any fighting game at launch.

I understand the model they are going for, but $60, and minimum effort up front is pathetic. You can call me entitled all I want because I have expectations of what should be in a fighter in 2016.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Like I said before I don't think too many people seem hype for SFV outside the usual suspects. MKX is the mainstream fighter. You're going to release a fighter with the bare minimum at launch when competition is going all out.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Like I said before I don't think too many people seem hype for SFV outside the usual suspects. MKX is the mainstream fighter. You're going to release a fighter with the bare minimum at launch when competition is going all out.

I definitely think all the betas have diminished the hype. NRS was smart to test out their new netcode on a game that has already been out for a while. People have been praising NRS so much for supporting a game this far out from launch. And while it is definitely cool that this is coming to MKX so long after launch, it's like, nah, they wouldn't be doing that shit if they weren't gonna use this new rollback netcode for Injustice 2/whateverthefuck.

Plus, yeah, MK is def more mainstream than SF.

it's nice to have a lobby where several people can rotate in and out. A lot of times I want minute or two to think about the matchup, not just grind it repeatedly. Might as well have someone else play in the mean time

NRS was smart to test out their new netcode on a game that has already been out for a while.

uhhh They're shrewd I guess.

it's like, nah, they wouldn't be doing that shit if they weren't gonna use this new rollback netcode for Injustice 2/whateverthefuck.

it's more like they need to take attention away from sf5. if sf5 becomes a huge online focused game then they at least need to clean up their current product so it doesn't look as bad in comparison.

GorillaJu

Your standards are incredibly low if you think it's okay to ship a bare bone fighting game product when other companies have consistently put out a product with better value. It's okay to criticize a game man. If we don't criticize a company/product, it will never get better. It's 2016, and we aren't even getting the bare minimum of standards that should be in any fighting game at launch.

I understand the model they are going for, but $60, and minimum effort up front is pathetic. You can call me entitled all I want because I have expectations of what should be in a fighter in 2016.

I never said you can't criticize it. But if your criticisms equate things like lacking a feature that you know is coming less than a month in, on a game that you're planning on playing long term regardless to a slap in the face or capcom coming to your house and strangling your dog or whatever, don't bee surprised to be called out on it.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
it's more like they need to take attention away from sf5.

Game came out a year ago so NRS already made their money from MKX. They're not gonna squeeze many more dollars out of it by being all like "Hey ignore that shiny Street Fighter 5 over there, MKX has non-garbage netcode now!"

I mean they definitely benefit simply from having a better online experience for the game, but it's more about testing out a new kind of netcode for future titles because they probably recognize rollback is the future. Hard for me to believe that they'd dedicate dev time to something like rollback, which only a minority of players actually give a shit about (currently), purely to steal shine from a game that came out a year after theirs. It's about making their FUTURE titles not look like shit by comparison in the netplay department.

NRS was so smart they decided to give the platform with the largest install base the middle finger.

NRS smrt. WB dum.

Coda

MK bores me though. I'd much rather have a barebones SF game than a full MK one. It's the same reason why I liked KI so much, it was barebones at launch but was an amazingly well made fighting game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom