• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzfO7vnMENw

Team Razer (Xian, Gackt, and Infiltration) vs. Fans at the Singapore launch event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE3NRwjk2hg

Infiltration (nash) vs Jianhao (laura)

---

Also, this guy has opinions on SFV.

CcU7l7qWwAAWbzA.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/Lamesama/status/704034440285134848

CcWy3n2UMAAkqRG.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/ScrubQuotesX/status/704165587094638592

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
here's a link to that round
you'll note that lion's throw doesn't do nearly as much damage - most throws in VF5FS do about 50-60 damage, or about 25% of a health bar. some characters - Taka, Akira, Goh, Wolf - can do 80 to 100 damage with their throws.

the throw in that round is situational - it's a back throw, which means it cannot be escaped, but it's also the slowest throw in the game (16 frames instead of 10). you really have to set it up. people turn around quickly so back throws are pretty rare. in that round the wolf player sets it up by reversing a low from the lion player, which guarantees BT and the throw.

Shouta

here's a link to that round
you'll note that lion's throw doesn't do nearly as much damage - most throws in VF5FS do about 50-60 damage, or about 25% of a health bar. some characters - Taka, Akira, Goh, Wolf - can do 80 to 100 damage with their throws.

the throw in that round is situational - it's a back throw, which means it cannot be escaped, but it's also the slowest throw in the game (16 frames instead of 10). you really have to set it up. people turn around quickly so back throws are pretty rare. in that round the wolf player sets it up by reversing a low from the lion player, which guarantees BT and the throw.

Goddamn, that reverse into the Burning Hammer was amazing, lol

oneida

As it happens I've got my first VF tourney of 2016 this upcoming Saturday at CECC3. after that probably nothing til toryuken.

N4Us

VF is the most satisfying game to land a command throw in since they're for more situational uses than in other fighting games.

Fraeon

I've always lamented the fact that throws are getting worse with every iteration of Tekken and Street Fighter. T7 throws are ridiculously bad at this point unless you're playing a character like King and even his throws would be nothing special in any other game.

ShinMaruku

So great to see the DOA activity at Final Round. As we can see the community is trying to build something. Big E has always seemed to be welcoming and fits the community in. :)

Shouta

I've always lamented the fact that throws are getting worse with every iteration of Tekken and Street Fighter. T7 throws are ridiculously bad at this point unless you're playing a character like King and even his throws would be nothing special in any other game.

Throws are generally pretty bad in most fighting games with the exception of VF and DOA. They're built into the game's core mechanics much more with those games.

But as Anne points out, SF5's throws are much better overall for a variety of reasons. Not just regular throws but command grabs are much better too.

Dahbomb

Throws are both better and worse than in SF4 when taken in isolation, however due to the overall system changes throws are WAY WAY WAY better (offensively) in SFV.

Also throws are insane in UMVC3. Some characters can kill off a 1 frame option selected 1 button throw.

Rhapsody

Banned
Watched the Winterbrawl X archives. Wow, so much great SFV play right there.

You can see all the matchup knowledge and mechanics are coming together.

NEO0MJ

"Wait, how did that throw do half bar damage."

Because VF is a game for adults who can handle that shit.

If VF is so good why isn't it successful?

Personally, I think it's the character design and lack of story. And how unpopular Sega consoles became by the time it launched on consoles. Tried to get my friends into it but they wanted to go back to Tekken ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!

Personally, I think it's the character design and lack of story. And how unpopular Sega consoles became by the time it launched on consoles. Tried to get my friends into it but they wanted to go back to Tekken ¯_(ツ)_/¯

It was successful until VF5? VF1 - 3 were revolutionary and the stuff they developed in those games have become standard in all fighting games that came after. VF4 is the reason why games like Street Fighter and all ArcSys games can use internet in the arcades. Sega forced it on all arcades for VF4. No other game at the time would've been able to do it.

oneida

VF is the most satisfying game to land a command throw in since they're for more situational uses than in other fighting games.
by command throw do you mean catch throw? like the unbreakable ones characters like wolf shun and el blaze get out of stances? if so idk if id call them situational, its just a matter of training your opponent to block. feels gr8 to land for sure but most don't do a lot of damage
if quality and success were cause and effect ex machina wouldve at least been nominated for BP and made more money than the martian

the martian sux

NEO0MJ

Success in the arcades isn't the same as mainstream success, though. Part if the series' problem was that it arrived on the wrong console. Saturn was a mess and 3 arrived too early on Dreamcast for the wow factor like SC did.

VF is so intimidating doe.

it's like, showing up to a table-top game competition, and you choose tic-tac-toe cause there are grandmasters present.

NEO0MJ

Why is Lau Chan the only character to age? I mean I appreciate the design more thanks to that change but it's so weird.

pizzacat

Banned
Rev is probably going to be jump in point for me and guilty gear. I remember getting it cheap for PS3 and getting started but then a week later I sold all the last gens for current gen and no cross buy smh :(

Thinking of buying online due to demo

As it happens I've got my first VF tourney of 2016 this upcoming Saturday at CECC3. after that probably nothing til toryuken.
Hope you do well

Looking at the shadaloo stage in sf5 i wonder who was i charge of the shadaloo uniforms.

Bison should give that person a promotion for the little tie decision on the female uniforms.

I like how on the Shadaloo stage all the NPCs slaute Bison if he wins. Do any of the other stages have touches like that?

Reminds me of the kid in Sakura's A2 stage who slams down the Super Famicom controller if she loses, lol.

pizzacat

Banned
I like how on the Shadaloo stage all the NPCs slaute Bison if he wins. Do any of the other stages have touches like that?

Reminds me of the kid in Sakura's A2 stage who slams down the Super Famicom controller if she loses, lol.
The kids in Brazil almost faint when Laura has her alt on

Manbig

Glad I watched Winterbrawl. Was a fun tournament that really re-enforced my sentiments from earlier. Crouch techs will only severely fuck up the offensive flow of this game and I hope any of them that get found end up getting removed promptly.

Beckx

I didn't get to watch as much of WB as I'd have liked but what I saw was good. Skullgirls top 8 was entertaining, wish SonicFox had run SoloBella farther than just the first match though. Champ v. Moons was good stuff in SFV (crush counters, everywhere) but I didn't get to see many other matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom