• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glix

Anyone going to I Got Next at Solus Bar tonight?

I'm thinking about going for SFV but:

1. My game needs to be leveled up BADLY

2. I have never really interacted with the NYC FGC.

Will it be fun? I'm pretty social but I feel like I may be intimidated.

Kumubou

No it's the service in arcades that serves as a leaderboard and all that stuff. It's been online since like 2001.
They at least had the decency to patch the VF5:FS cabinets to run offline and made it so that most of the VF.net functions can be done through offline terminals (as much as could be practical, anyway). Most companies would have just pulled the plug and let the cabinets rot.

The whole concept was way ahead of its time. VF5 let you upload matches to YouTube in what... 2007 or so? Years before most games even dreamed of including such functionality.

Clawww

Anyone going to I Got Next at Solus Bar tonight?

I'm thinking about going for SFV but:

1. My game needs to be leveled up BADLY

2. I have never really interacted with the NYC FGC.

Will it be fun? I'm pretty social but I feel like I may be intimidated.

I've never been to that spot, but in general, the scene is pretty chill in NYC. Never really had a bad experience. Go for it. As for being bad at the game, lol, there might be some good players but no one's going to care if you suck

Tripon

Just make a tournament thread on the weekends where a big tournament is taking place. Don't need to make a thread every week because on weekends where there isn't much going on, people won't see it.
Yeah, that's my intention. Just telling people why there won't be a thread until Final Round.

Glix

I've never been to that spot, but in general, the scene is pretty chill in NYC. Never really had a bad experience. Go for it. As for being bad at the game, lol, there might be some good players but no one's going to care if you suck

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

If anyone is going... I'm the old guy, lol.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
VF is the most satisfying game to land a command throw in since they're for more situational uses than in other fighting games.

I won two matches at the EVO 2012 VF tournament off of the most gimmicky half-brained setup I've ever come up with.

Aoi has this punch that turns her around so that her back is left exposed to the enemy at the end of it, and it's +0 on block. If the opponent is sharp then it's easy to just murder her while her back is turned (seriously it's a terrible idea for her to do this and you have no defensive options when the opponent is behind you), but no one in America knows shit about this game so you can get away with some dumb stuff.

Anyway, Aoi has this specific throw that she can only do while the opponent is behind her. It puts the opponent in some kind of staggered/turned state where they have limited defensive options instead, and while they're panicked you can just launch them into a 50% combo that carries them to the edge of the ring in some stages.

The entirety of my "prep work" for that tournament consisted of watching UltraChen's 2 hour intro to VF with LA Akira, then 30 minutes of training mode (where I came up with that one setup and basically nothing else), then not touching the game for a month, then playing it at EVO. For the entirety of my first game, I was basically just trying to remember the half dozen worthwhile moves I had forgotten, but by the end of the match I was beating up on the guy with sabakis and that one troll back-turn setup. Dude said he played the game semi-seriously before we started playing and he was furious at the end of it. lmao

mbpm1

I won two matches at the EVO 2012 VF tournament off of the most gimmicky half-brained setup I've ever come up with.

Aoi has this punch that turns her around so that her back is left exposed to the enemy at the end of it, and it's +0 on block. If the opponent is sharp then it's easy to just murder her while her back is turned (seriously it's a terrible idea for her to do this and you have no defensive options when the opponent is behind you), but no one in America knows shit about this game so you can get away with some dumb stuff.

Anyway, Aoi has this specific throw that she can only do while the opponent is behind her. It puts the opponent in some kind of staggered/turned state where they have limited defensive options instead, and while they're panicked you can just launch them into a 50% combo that carries them to the edge of the ring in some stages.

The entirety of my "prep work" for that tournament consisted of watching UltraChen's 2 hour intro to VF with LA Akira, then 30 minutes of training mode (where I came up with that one setup and basically nothing else), then not touching the game for a month, then playing it at EVO. For the entirety of my first game, I was basically just trying to remember the half dozen worthwhile moves I had forgotten, but by the end of the match I was beating up on the guy with sabakis and that one troll back-turn setup. Dude said he played the game semi-seriously before we started playing and he was furious at the end of it. lmao

Situational gimmicks are very fun to think up and use.

I always try to save one for every new opponent I fight.

Kumubou

That setup isn't actually as bad as you think it is. It's a back turned throw that she has, but it's also a fourteen frame catch throw. So if you hit them with 44P (which is even on normal hit) and they try to do a 16-frame launcher (or anything other than a jab or elbow, really), you'll grab them out of it in most situations. As an added bonus, 44P's animation recovers absurdly fast so it's one of those moves that people actually have trouble reacting to properly, so that gives you some pseudo frame advantage. If they start wising up, she can then just 2P which is an 11 frame low (not special low, but a legit low that has to be crouch blocked) that will beat out elbows when 4P or 44P are blocked. When the throw lands, she's +12, and with the three frames required to turn around mean you get a guaranteed 64P+KP... or you could just do the first hit, end back turned (at -2) and do it again.

She actually has a bunch of dumb gimmicks with regards to that... and a whole bunch of other stuff. It's more solid than I think you realize. All that dumb stuff is what makes her fun to play. :3 (And that's why she tends to get blown up against top players, because they're all seen all of that shit before.)

It's pretty funny that you managed to blow up a couple of people that way, though. Although if he didn't know the match-up at all, that's not terribly surprising.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

to be fair the game came out exactly 1 month before evo'12 :p

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Aris thinks the Champ thing was staged. Marvel is dying so they had to come up with something to breathe life into it. Everybody knows deep down inside Champ isn't that bad of a person but he has no problems doing what he did to get attention.

MechaX

I just got caught up on all of the major events at Winter Brawl.

I for one am glad that I have seen with my own eyes that karma actually exists in this cruel world.

Aris thinks the Champ thing was staged. Marvel is dying so they had to come up with something to breathe life into it. Everybody knows deep down inside Champ isn't that bad of a person but he has no problems doing what he did to get attention.

I have thought this at times... but then I remember shit like the plane ticket fiasco(s), Pelican, and the entire Cody/Sherry thing and... it's hard.

Anne

A lot of local players and people who actually travel and do scene building around here are really not happy with that whole WBX fiasco.

Anne

Good.

Seriously, is there no actual way to make it so this kind ofshit stops being a thing?

TOs need to not promote it. Shit's going to happen no matter what you stand for, I'm proof of that. The thing is the people who have the ability to put their foot down and prevent it moving forward have to do that. It's pretty clear when it gets promoted rather than stopped that it's not changing soon, some people want it.

I know people think I'm like some super nazi about this but I figured this was the kinda shit we were heading towards and specifically wanted to prevent. Now a few others feel like the line has been crossed and it's really showing in my scene and some neighboring ones.

Edit: Tbf, when that first started I was hoping to see some fun stuff but like right when it got going you could tell what was up and it got real sad and uncomfortable real quick. Before somebody calls me out I'm not entirely innocent.

mbpm1

It was dumb, The line had been crossed between something fun and something...Maury show like.

Neither had their heart in it and you could tell

Nightii

Banned
The line was crossed a long time ago, people are just too into it to notice.

I would like it so much if there was a real pushback against it after this, but bah, just pipe dreams.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It's a grassroots east coast tournament. Like Yipes said why is it always this game. But everybody was obviously into it, all the actors played their roles. It got people watching and talking about it which is all that matters. I don't think that stuff would fly if it were part of the CPT though.

jerry1594

It was dumb, The line had been crossed between something fun and something...Maury show like.

Neither had their heart in it and you could tell
The ft15? Yeah cause fchamp realized he was making himself look like an ass toward the end, and kbr didn't care at all and just took the opportunity to download him lol.

mbpm1

It's a grassroots east coast tournament. Like Yipes said why is it always this game. But everybody was obviously into it, all the actors played their roles. It got people watching and talking about it which is all that matters. I don't think that stuff would fly if it were part of the CPT though.

Fchamp interviewing and bragging about how he knocks Daigo up every time they fight

lmao

Nightii

Banned

Nah, I'm pretty sure there are way more important things in life than that.

Not acting like scum, for an example.

Dahbomb

If that was staged then I have to give the hats off to everyone in that tournament bracket.

Everyone lost to FChamp and KBR on purpose in the tournament starting from pools, then FChamp made sure to knock KBR into losers, then orchestrate a close 3-2 finish in grand finals. Bravo man, that's a lot of people you have to convince to sandbag.

The exhibition should never have happened. Neither players were even trying all that hard. It was a bad joke that just went on and on. Plus FChamp putting hands on KBR and Cosmos, not cool man.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Fchamp interviewing and bragging about how he knocks Daigo up every time they fight

lmao

Saying something on a random stream is completely different than saying something while on a CPT stream. Combofiend would bust that ass if anybody got out of line.

mbpm1

If that was staged then I have to give the hats off to everyone in that tournament bracket.

Everyone lost to FChamp and KBR on purpose in the tournament starting from pools, then FChamp made sure to knock KBR into losers, then orchestrate a close 3-2 finish in grand finals. Bravo man, that's a lot of people you have to convince to sandbag.

The exhibition should never have happened. Neither players were even trying all that hard. It was a bad joke that just went on and on. Plus FChamp putting hands on KBR and Cosmos, not cool man.

Or just Fchamp and KBR are that good.

Saying something on a random stream is completely different than saying something while on a CPT stream. Combofiend would bust that ass if anybody got out of line.

I know, I'm just imagining

CurlyW

Big E paid to fly out KBR (and maybe FChamp too) to have the match at Winter Brawl, I believe. Don't know how else KBR would've got there.

On an unrelated note, I think this person might be insane: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/48atn3/xanadu_will_be_to_today_without_a_computer/

supershears said:
Recently there was some drama in the 64 community about people complaining they didn't have the resources to run their own tournaments or the knowledge on how to do so. I explained to everyone that the only necessary resource to run tournaments is a fully operational human being. To demonstrate this and show what tools a person needs to run tournaments at a bare minimum I will be running the 64 bracket at Xanadu today without the use of a computer, pen/pencil, paper, or speaking. TOing is not a difficult job reserved for only a few people. It doesn't take any special qualities or skills. You don't need special software or excessive knowledge. Anyone can do it as long as they have basic motor functions and a working brain. With this comes an announcement, since there are so many trolls or people that have a conflict with authority, if anyone wants to be a wiseass or becomes purposefully defiant I will not hesitate to DQ them since during this exercise my tolerance for insubordination will be very low. Tune into http://twitch.tv/vgbootcamp or come out to Xanadu to see 64.
EDIT: Some guy in the comments wanted insurance on this challenge and I thought it was a good idea, you're welcome to dig through this mess called reddit to find it. If I happen to make a mistake with the bracket I will be refunding all the players their entry fee. I set the over/under for mistakes made to 0.5, I'm taking the under.

TOs need to not promote it. Shit's going to happen no matter what you stand for, I'm proof of that. The thing is the people who have the ability to put their foot down and prevent it moving forward have to do that. It's pretty clear when it gets promoted rather than stopped that it's not changing soon, some people want it.

I know people think I'm like some super nazi about this but I figured this was the kinda shit we were heading towards and specifically wanted to prevent. Now a few others feel like the line has been crossed and it's really showing in my scene and some neighboring ones.

Edit: Tbf, when that first started I was hoping to see some fun stuff but like right when it got going you could tell what was up and it got real sad and uncomfortable real quick. Before somebody calls me out I'm not entirely innocent.

though to be fair it's not necessarily an FGC problem, since boxing/MMA has always been about promoting manufactured rivalries and ridiculous shittalk. It cheapens the competitive aspects of the game and isn't doing anything besides promoting players at the expense of the scene, but I don't see how the scene can get rid of it.

Atleast if you have the Marvel tournament and exhibitions on a designated timeslot and channel the monsters will know when marvel is

F Champ vs. KBR was awesome.

No chance it was staged and no chance F Champ is acting or playing a heel. He's just an asshole(at least sometimes). He's a passionate, hyper competitive, alpha male type. Competition can bring out of the worst of those people. I don't understand why people are surprised, it's gotta be common in competition.

Nightii

Banned
Well it wouldnt surprise me to get no entrants to this sham tourney trial run he's trying anyway lol

"See? the tournament went super smoothly! I didn't had to tell any players what to do, because there weren't any!"

F Champ vs. KBR was awesome.

No chance it was staged and no chance F Champ is acting or playing a heel. He's just an asshole(at least sometimes). He's a passionate, hyper competitive, alpha male type. Competition can bring out of the worst of those people. I don't understand why people are surprised, it's gotta be common in competition.

Many things are common in competition, doesn't make them right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom