• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coda

Been watching a bunch of Pokken Tournament videos on youtube these past couple days. I gotta say it looks pretty damn fun.

Numb

I don't even know what a Hawlucha looks like

tumblr_n6gcgzUVGn1rsrk2xo1_500.gif

cool

Keiji N dropped Fang. God damn. A former DJ main dropped him. The list of Fang graduates includes Nemo, Kindevu, and now Keiji N. We'll see what happens with Sonicfox and Kusoru.

You can't stand watching it? Priority should be on the players and accommodating them. People feel comfortable on different setups.

Even back at the older evos before they went full console they accommodated the japan guys alot of times with japan setups and didn't make them use our standard happ stuff.

I think its better now for player preference on what they want to use, which is most important. Not for people watching.

Yup. Tournaments should accommodate actual players instead of spectators.

Rocwell

Went 2-2 at Saturday slugfest. Lost to Cammy and Necalli. Not too upset since it's my first time at a tournament in like 3 or 4 years. Shoutout to Shouta wherever he is.

DunpealD

Been watching a bunch of Pokken Tournament videos on youtube these past couple days. I gotta say it looks pretty damn fun.

It's interesting at least. But it supposedly has anti-rage quitting measures and is even mentioned when starting the online mode, my condolences to you.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nice, Blaziken looks dope to me.

Blaziken actually air airdashing by pushing block when jumping and can be even done close to instant air dash.

Now about Pokken in general.

16 characters so far, 1 of them is a story unlock and Shadow Mewtwo seems to be amiibo card unlock but cannot be used in story mode. Haven't finished "story" mode yet, but it might be possible that Shadow Mewtwo is another normal unlock.

The game is really light on content. Story mode is just a "league mode" running a gauntlet of 5 opponents on you until you hit rank 8 and up and then it goes to 8 man bracket tournament, finishing of with rank up exam. Actual story is even less than current SFV. Which consists of the Shadow Mewtwo story is actually more like a side story that happens on your rise. The rise itself has 0 story outside of Shadow Mewtwo it seems.

Practice mode is actually good and tries to explain all system mechanics and offers combo trials with 6 combos for each character. The free training seems to be standard fare and is below SFV at least.

No Arcade mode, but VS CPU offering 2 type of battle types. Normal and Extra battle, I know that at least in Normal you can do the standard options like 3 difficulties and time limit. Extra battle spawns items on the field that can buff and debuff.

Haven't tried Local MP but it is there and according to the information about it, it is not recommended to play on the same console due to 30fps downgrade. But supposedly there is LAN mode to connect 2 Wii Us. Haven't checked it yet

Online modes are very barebones too. No lobbies. No Replays. Only matchmaking in Ranked and Friendlies. Both are kinda the same, with the exception you can use a password to invite a friend to play in friendlies. Haven't found anyone to play so I don't know whether there is a rematch option or not, but you have to choose your character right after starting the matchmaking. When in matchmaking after 10 seconds of searching a vs CPU battle is automatically forced on you, while it keeps searching.

In short, in terms of content it seems dangerously close to SFV, lol.

Shouta

Went 2-2 at Saturday slugfest. Lost to Cammy and Necalli. Not too upset since it's my first time at a tournament in like 3 or 4 years. Shoutout to Shouta wherever he is.

Oh, you should have said something. I was in the orange Evo shirt.

Online modes are very barebones too. No lobbies. No Replays. Only matchmaking in Ranked and Friendlies. Both are kinda the same, with the exception you can use a password to invite a friend to play in friendlies. Haven't found anyone to play so I don't know whether there is a rematch option or not, but you have to choose your character right after starting the matchmaking. When in matchmaking after 10 seconds of searching a vs CPU battle is automatically forced on you, while it keeps searching.
So in other words, regional search filter likely being excluded from yet another Nintendo game. After Splatoon and Smash Bros. 4 rarely matching me up with Europeans, pass.

Rocwell

Oh, you should have said something. I was in the orange Evo shirt.

Ah I think I saw you when I first got to the venue but I didn't know your face and I didn't even know if you were going to be there until I saw your name in the bracket lol I was trying to keep an eye out for when the to's would call your name but I never quite caught it.

Anyway I ended up losing to Dave O and Bitq who ended up getting 3rd and I took games off both of them so I'm satisfied over all, although I still have more work to do on those matchups. Got some casuals in with Riki Oh and got some Bison/Rashid practice in too, so I had a good time.

Also ran into another Laura player who recognized me because he was subscribed to my youtube channel which was kind of a trip lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom