• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Looking at the Steamspy data it looks like SFV only sold about 5000 copies in the past month.

I imagine the sales completely flatlined on PS4 as well.

Beckx

SFV failed to make the Top 20 download list for PSN North America in March
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1205886

it's also out of the top 20 in Japan weekly sales.

I would feel bad if fighters go back to the dark ages for another 10 years.

the things that didn't bother people during the "golden era" *really bother* people now. comparative graphic quality, jankiness, limited features. my favorite ps1 fighters (Bushido Blade, Tobal 2) would get flat out murdered for everything that was wrong with them.

BiggNife

Still convinced Capcom is too invested in SFV at this point to not at least do season 2. Would not expect anything beyond that.

And yeah, it's a big ol bummer, but at least the competitive scene is as active as ever.

Someone please explain Overwatch and why its character designs are all over the place? It looks like someone threw up a bunch of designs from completely different games. On one hand you've got Tracer, and on the hand you've got these other characters that look like they don't even belong in the same game universe.

I watched this cinematic trailer, and thought it was cheesy bad. I rooted for the sniper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXUJJDfTj3I

notworksafe

I'll admit I don't give a fuck about the lore of the game, because lore and story in every game is shit and not worth paying attention to, but my understanding is there were multiple factions of good and bad guys in the years before the game happened and that might be why people look so different.

Also the sniper is a playable character, so rooting for her is nothing bad.

Someone please explain Overwatch and why its character designs are all over the place? It looks like someone threw up a bunch of designs from completely different games. On one hand you've got Tracer, and on the hand you've got these other characters that look like they don't even belong in the same game universe.

I watched this cinematic trailer, and thought it was cheesy bad. I rooted for the sniper.

It's like Blazblue or League of Legend. It's coherent in its lack of coherence. They just give people what they want (character archetypes) and most of them don't see the larger picture.

I'll admit I don't give a fuck about the lore of the game, because lore and story in every game is shit and not worth paying attention to, but my understanding is there were multiple factions of good and bad guys in the years before the game happened and that might be why people look so different.

Also the sniper is a playable character, so rooting for her is nothing bad.

D.va sold me.

Blizzard sold me on buying a non-fighting game. Jesus Christ.

notworksafe

D.va is the second most fun tank imo. She's a blast to play and surprisingly easy to use well as long as you get some basic knowledge of the levels

What dark ages exactly? The only time I remember things not being too great for fighters was 2005-2008 unless you were really, really into Tekken and Guilty Gear.

notworksafe

didnt know we had 2 vulvas in here. Shoulda realized

vulva is right. anytime a game story is "good" it's always accompanied by "for a game" because the bar for game stories to be good is so low compared to almost any form of media. But that's okay, games are consumer products first and foremost so it's to be expected.

vulva is right. anytime a game story is "good" it's always accompanied by "for a game" because the bar for game stories to be good is so low compared to almost any form of media. But that's okay, games are consumer products first and foremost so it's to be expected.
and yea, thats just fucking wrong

notworksafe

please tell me about all the excellent, heart wrenching stories behind your favorite mario or anime game and i'll continue to roll my eyes and not care

I agree, but I can also think of game stories that are like, legitimately good, but they're usually based entirely around story. Usually adventure games or horror. Like, I think Silent Hill 2 or Grim Fandango have legitimately good stories, especially in the case of Silent Hill 2 because it takes advantage of gaming as an interactive medium, but I also agree that games are mostly targeted as being consumer products and nothing more.

notworksafe

horrid, lmao. fuck outta here with that.

sorry i insulted your targeted nerd consumer products for being consumer products engineered to get people of a specific demographic to purchase them.

horrid, lmao. fuck outta here with that.

sorry i insulted your targeted nerd consumer products for being consumer products engineered to get people of a specific demographic to purchase them.
You act like I'm taking it personal, which why bother when your opinion is too asinine to do so.

Shits gotta sell, but that doesnt stop developers from putting care or effort into it all. Same as books and movies.

D.va is the second most fun tank imo. She's a blast to play and surprisingly easy to use well as long as you get some basic knowledge of the levels

Dash in (you can get into the top areas) Get in, smack some glass cannons around, dash out.

Really good on offense and defense.

I could care less about lore. I see my team, see their team and try to fill the gap/exploit their weaknesses or find counters.

You act like I'm taking it personal, which why bother when your opinion is too asinine to do so.

Shits gotta sell, but that doesnt stop developers from putting care or effort into it all. Same as books and movies.

I dunno. Books and movies have their share of crap, but they also have more variety. Movies has popcorn teasers like comic book movie stuff, but it also has stuff like Lawrence of Arabia and shit. Video games are mostly sold and made to appeal to for the purpose of consumption. There's nothing wrong with it, but game stories that are actually made to tell something special are rare because developers rarely get that opportunity and it takes years and tons of people to make a single game.

It's not that games can't achieve more than being consumer products, but that's what the majority of them are made for.

And to be fair, until recently, movies weren't such a consumer nerd targeting business. Movies are actually taking cues from comic and video game industries to the point where Hollywood doesn't fund films with something important to say as much anymore. Today's Hollywood really reminds me of video games.

You could chalk it up to video games' age, though. I definitely think there's potential in the medium but I don't see how it's a controversial statement to say that most games are treated as consumer products first. I mean, with stuff like GTAV costing near 300 million, who can blame em?

pizzacat

Banned

So overwatch is the culmination of a project that was restarted a couple times and has been in the works for a while. Because of this the designs are "everywhere", they kept so much from their old projects that this is what they give.

I feel like the designs mesh well, but the alt costumes are tacky

It's funny because from what I've played, my favorite character is soldier 76 and meatflag (?, not his name but I don't remember t), soldier 76 is a CoD soldier in the battlefield stuck with these insanos and meatflag is basically demoman from TF2

I dunno. Books and movies have their share of crap, but they also have more variety. Movies has popcorn teasers like comic book movie stuff, but it also has stuff like Lawrence of Arabia and shit. Video games are mostly sold and made to appeal to for the purpose of consumption. There's nothing wrong with it, but game stories that are actually made to tell something special are rare because developers rarely get that opportunity and it takes years and tons of people to make a single game.

It's not that games can't achieve more than being consumer products, but that's what the majority of them are made for.

And to be fair, until recently, movies weren't such a consumer nerd targeting business. Movies are actually taking cues from comic and video game industries to the point where Hollywood doesn't fund films with something important to say as much anymore. Today's Hollywood really reminds me of video games.

You could chalk it up to video games' age, though. I definitely think there's potential in the medium but I don't see how it's a controversial statement to say that most games are treated as consumer products first. I mean, with stuff like GTAV costing near 300 million, who can blame em?
video games limitation is that they have to create a story in a world thats also enjoyable to play. This often means action. That doesnt stop action from having good stories (Mad Max: Fury Road, The Last of Us), but there are still games that branch into other styles to reach and have great stories (Life is Strange, which I compare favorably to one of my favorite movies: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind).

Games also have an added advantage over both books and movies in that they can explore their lore in a non-linear fashion. Final Fantasy XI has some of the best lore of any world ever, and discovering it all is completely organic within the game.

The other benefit of games is exploring characters in a non-linear fashion. Games like Persona have amazing looks at characters and great writing in a way thats just not possible in other mediums.

notworksafe

Meatflag, lmao. I think you meant Junkrat? He's got hella grenades and the exploding tire as his Ultimate.

Also I'm not dissing games as a medium. Enjoy what you want but pretending they are high art is a bit premature. Hell, I like and watch WWE but I'm not delusional about the quality of the stories it tells.

Also I'm not dissing games as a medium. Enjoy what you want but pretending they are high art is a bit premature. Hell, I like and watch WWE but I'm not delusional about the quality of the stories it tells.
Im also not trying to claim all games stories are great works of art. Its the absolute dismissing of all of them that I take issue with. The best games have to offer in the story department has served some amazing experiences.

Shouta

Arguing something can't be good because it's a consumer product is pretty much nonsense. They're not mutually exclusive things. Even the most acclaimed material was created to be digested by someone. If it wasn't meant to be viewed by someone then it wouldn't be produced or released at all.

If something is bad or something is good then it should be based on what it actually does instead of what it is.

Meatflag, lmao. I think you meant Junkrat? He's got hella grenades and the exploding tire as his Ultimate.

exactly how I feel. entertaining but you know its silly fun.

I loved Yakuza because its like a gangster soap opera.

Im also not trying to claim all games stories are great works of art. Its the absolute dismissing of all of them that I take issue with. The best games have to offer in the story department has served some amazing experiences.

There are other ways to tell a story through gamplay and art design vs actual dialogue. Perfect example is environment design like certain parts of The Division or Fallout and worse are audio tapes, text files.

That said, comicbook movies and free to play mobile games are the highest grossing/popular in their respective genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom