• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzacat

Banned
Yea junkrat, he's crazy.

And I think video games can tell stories other media can't but developers are too busy trying to make movies in their video games.

Nier is a good example of what I'm trying to say.

It takes full advantage of being a video game even if the writing is suspect.

Oh hey we are back in the shitty opinions about stories cycle of the thread.

Or maybe I am conflating two different conversations because all of the players are the same.

Shouta

Yea junkrat, he's crazy.

And I think video games can tell stories other media can't but developers are too busy trying to make movies in their video games.

Nier is a good example of what I'm trying to say.

It takes full advantage of being a video game even if the writing is suspect.

That's sort of a separate discussion though. I think most people will agree that videogames don't take full advantage of the medium.

Seyavesh

somehow the thing that drives me nuts about kof14's graphics are the particle effects like fireballs, hitsparks and whatnot

the models aren't that big of an issue when the animations are fine but watching iori's uppercut and fireball in that nemo preview vid pained me

also did anyone else notice the MAX system being used like a roman cancel or whatnot? they were using iori's st.D and MAX cancelling into his claw rekkas into his regular rekkas into dp (i guess it works like the old custom combo thing) from pretty far out

Oh, no I am sorry. That was the conversation two months ago about just dismissing video games as worthless in comparison to other media. Story was just a thing that got dragged up during the conversation. I guess I really do have some negative biases against some posters.

BadWolf

somehow the thing that drives me nuts about kof14's graphics are the particle effects like fireballs, hitsparks and whatnot

the models aren't that big of an issue when the animations are fine but watching iori's uppercut and fireball in that nemo preview vid pained me

also did anyone else notice the MAX system being used like a roman cancel or whatnot? they were using iori's st.D and MAX cancelling into his claw rekkas into his regular rekkas into dp (i guess it works like the old custom combo thing) from pretty far out

It's a pretty low quality vid and it's also an old build (from January). A newer build with 24 characters will be shown on April 25th.

They were using far normals to activate into max mode, it's similar to how you could do HD activation in XIII.

The difference this time is that there is no separate gauge in XIV for activation, instead the cost of activating Max mode is one power bar. You also can't cancel from special move to special move in XIV's max mode, like you could with XIII's HD.

its pretty damn good, and i normally don't give a fuck for shooters and haven't liked one since OG TF2. i've become addicted since i got into the closed beta. there's an open beta next month for every platform if you want to try it for free

http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/blog/20055970
As someone that played arena/team shooters when they had bunnyhopping and crazy air physics, the pace of most modern shooters (including TF2) feels boring. Those were the days.... Time to install TFC again and Natural Selection 1 again...

its pretty damn good, and i normally don't give a fuck for shooters and haven't liked one since OG TF2. i've become addicted since i got into the closed beta. there's an open beta next month for every platform if you want to try it for free

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll give it a try as well.

I wanted to try that new TPS-DotA game from Epic Games, but there's no way to try it for free. -_-

notworksafe

It's funny, Overwatch has characters that pander to different shooter demographics. D.va feels like Heavy in some ways, Pharah reminds me of Quake 3, Soldier 76 is very much a COD character. Junkrat is definitely influenced by Demoman, etc.

I don't understand why game players get so mad as if you personally insulted the core fabric of their being when you critique games for their lack of quality storytelling. As if we find the medium to be completely useless even though we are posting on a video game forum. I find it to be one of the most ludicrous over the top and self important manners of making a retort and it never fails to happen whenever this discussion occurs. Gamers acting like you hurt their feelings because you personally don't think most games have good writers or are in the business of telling good stories. They can't even respect it. All of a sudden you're enemy number 1 and you've insulted their entire life apparently. Large part of why I mostly don't socialize with gamers.

Thanks.

Nightii

Banned
Ehh, people can call out pretentious wanking without being offended lol.

I do agree that there are no truly great video game stories so far, though. But that's a matter of the medium not being used to it's true potential, since the people trying to make actual stories seem to go about this trying to make their games less gamey, and it generally receives praise so lol.

Not to mention that a truly great game is the sum of it's parts and how they work together, not just story.

I don't understand why game players get so mad as if you personally insulted the core fabric of their being when you critique games for their lack of quality storytelling. As if we find the medium to be completely useless even though we are posting on a video game forum. I find it to be one of the most ludicrous over the top and self important manners of making a retort and it never fails to happen whenever this discussion occurs. Gamers acting like you hurt their feelings because you personally don't think most games have good writers or are in the business of telling good stories. They can't even respect it. All of a sudden you're enemy number 1 and you've insulted their entire life apparently. Large part of why I mostly don't socialize with gamers.
Who here is insulted, you are projecting a response onto people that no one here has actually succumbed to.

Considering I'm the one who deflected the original statement I can only imagine thats directed at me, but it doesnt work. I'm not insulted and I dont really care. Especially when its from NWS since hes nothing but bad opinions anyway.

And who are you talking to with "Most" and "lack". The argument was being made against "All". Which is the same argument for most mediums. Most stories are garbage.

There are great stories in games, deflecting the entire medium is flat wrong. The original argument had nothing to do with quantity or relative percentages.

notworksafe

Games like Persona have amazing looks at characters and great writing in a way thats just not possible in other mediums.
That quote plus the suggestive avatar, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put together the pieces. But please, continue to take personal offense at every opinion that disagrees with yours and lashing out for no reason.

That quote plus the suggestive avatar, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put together the pieces. But please, continue to take personal offense at every opinion that disagrees with yours and lashing out for no reason.
I'm not lashing out, im trying to figure out what you are even talking about. Still don't have a clue

pizzacat

Banned
Soo overwatch™

It's pretty good, try the beta soon cindi. D.Va is perfect for people starting out, she has good ways to escape, enough health to stay in the fight against even the big guns and has a get out of jail free card with her jumping out of her robot before it explodes

Beckx

Games with good stories...depends on what you find good I guess

games, comic books and genre fiction still reside a ghetto where the bar for being good is set at "the greatest thing ever written" and if you don't hit that, it's treated as juvenile escapist trash.

Nightii

Banned
Is Overwatch demanding on PC? would a laptop with an i3 and 8GB of ram be able to run it at the lowest acceptable settings for online?

mbpm1

Did it make you cry or think about bad stuff in the real world? if so, congrats, you just experienced certified Art™.

Everything makes me cry tho idk

Undertale is p good tho

games, comic books and genre fiction still reside a ghetto where the bar for being good is set at "the greatest thing ever written" and if you don't hit that, it's treated as juvenile escapist trash.
too right

pizzacat

Banned
Is Overwatch demanding on PC? would a laptop with an i3 and 8GB of ram be able to run it at the lowest acceptable settings for online?
Idk about specs but it's not that demanding. Very easy to run from what I've seen. My friend told me my laptop can run it and that's a pos
Everything makes me cry tho idk
If that's all it takes SFV sales numbers are the best Art™

Yeah the mode is different but the properties of the activation itself seem to work like XIII. 02/02UM would let you cancel but leave you where you were so you had to run up manually.

mbpm1

Idk about specs but it's not that demanding. Very easy to run from what I've seen. My friend told me my laptop can run it and that's a pos

If that's all it takes SFV sales numbers are the best Art™

Except for fighting games, those make me laugh/hype/rage/dood

notworksafe

should be fine, blizzard games tend to run on whatever pc you have. in the beta right now it's a little hard to tell since performance jumps up and down a lot as they are patching and fixing things.

Beckx

You mean Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. That game had a great world and story.

1990s White Wolf was the shit. Still don't understand why they blew all that up.

dwarf fortress has the best story cos you make it yourself

my favorite games tend to have a lot of "white space" that I fill in while I play. when i played Phantasy Star I and II back when they came out, i'd make up stories about the characters while grinding. i love doing that, for me it's a sign the worldbuilding was solid and really clicked with me.

Numb

dwarf fortress has the best story cos you make it yourself

everytime i see that game

giphy.gif

jerry1594

Too right. The Sonic chronology gets unfairly disparaged by pompous hacks.

Perro

MK has the best story/lore, they know this is some dumb comic book shit and don't try to be more than that. Ed Boon should be the director of the JL movie.

lmao at mkxl being PSstore top 20, rip sfv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom