• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckx

I don't click on links. Usually leads me to DOA videos and that's the last thing I want to see.

i go one step further and browse with images off. i figure if there's something worth seeing, it will get quoted a few times and i've seen mjcry.gif enough to not miss it.

Seyavesh

The classic "I play this game even though I hate it becaus everyone else plays this game even though they hate it" response.

Imagine how much better life would be if people played the games they enjoyed (that or you may actually enjoy it, but can't bring yourself to admit that).
oh fuck off. can you not read? i said i think i like the game based of my short experience with it- just need to see how that holds out in the longer scope.
i only play games i enjoy, why the hell would i play a game otherwise?

hmm, what don't you like about it?
the big one is that i think the midrange game that sf5 seems to primarily focus on is questionable given the range and cancel-ability on normals/damage off stuff that does convert. a lot of what people state as 'the game focuses on hard reads' is specifically due to how that midrange game is built to allow strong footsies but not really heavily reward it. your pokes and antiairs are great but the damage is questionable on them so you get a lot of jumpy guessing as to press an advantage

besides that there's also the offensive aspect of the game which feels like it encourages mashing to interrupt pressure despite the existence of crush counters and the priority system (i'm actually betting the 2nd was put in place specifically bc of this). i'm not actually 100% sure on why it feels like this but looking at the frame data + remembering what i've seen on pushback makes me think that pressure strings tend to have gaps on them due to mostly being negative or +1 while anything above that tends to push your character out far enough to where you're not immediately threatening the other player?

the folks i've played with get the idea that defensive mashing is probably gonna end up being important too so i'm not too alone in that thought, especially since they're actually SF players while i'm just a marvel+random fuckaround fightcade guy

on a preference level the long range game seems to be sorely lacking as well but i didn't really expect it to exist and i don't think that's really something that affects competitive quality anyhow

as for what i like about it... i think they managed to actually get their overall pacing goal down extremely well despite what i said about the midrange game being a bit absurd. the way sticking to that range is encouraged over long range options and how the walkspeed doesn't feel like a great impediment at that range is surprisingly clever.

notworksafe

So PS3 sticks lag and probably won't be allowed at EVO? Guess I'll get that Brook installed in a second stick sooner than I thought.

shaowebb

This will be list heavy, but I feel like I have reached an end to a lot of the "study and take notes" side of my gaming that I've done for the past 4 years or so and I wanted to share a few things.

You know, I'm playing a lot of fighters right now. From old stuff, to new stuff. At this point I'm just in full production and design work is done so I'm just sorta playing and no longer seriously observing things and considering them from a meta standpoint...just finally having fun. Now that I'm reaching this point again its kind of fun for me to just sit back and reflect on just what I find the most fun things in each of the games I've been playing.

and YES I have been playing all these.

• SFxTekken-Tag combos. I fucking love tag combos. The double Heavy attack thing feels so good to tag in. I honestly prefer this to aerial raves, or TAC or any air equivalent Capcom has done for team games. Its just so fun to do these.
  • Tatsunoko vs Capcom-hard to nail down between just overall cast variety and movement. I love it. The way you move in this game just feels so good. Its super fast, but no wavedashes (they're rare if someone uses the trick to doin em). Just a great style of footsies and the movesets make it so entertaining.
  • UMVC3- I shit on it constantly because of how bad a fighter it was in balance and with busted mechanics. Doesn't mean it doesn't have fun stuff in it outside of eyeroll worthy shit. I really love the speed of the offense, and the visual style. I also love how good the moves look. Presentation and good impact to moves is awesome in this game.
  • Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition-Trump Cards and Neutral bursts! When you trump you get a pretty long meter that counts down that gives you more combo stuff you can do and the whole game feels more like UNIEL pacing...activate neutral burst and extend meter. You can blow one or two trump a round and if you lose a round you get one back. Its a great rhythm and its got great psychology to resource management. Plus Tomoka is one of the most fun fucking movesets I've ever played hands down.
  • Nitro Plus Blasterz Heroines Infinite Duel-Flashy combos. Just a lot of tools in this game with the two assist at once thing but besides that the options for combo extensions is just huge. Muramasa is like a Spiderman/Spencer mashup of great combo potential and I just love how stylish you can get. Plus the ability to short hop is something I adore. Instant overheads!
  • Under Night in Birth EXE Late- Everything. Its fast, its got great meter systems that force you to keep active, and I love how good the hits feel and flow. Best feeling game in terms of visual impact to moves and combat speed since Marvel. Just feels GOOD when you start using offense in this game.
  • Aquapazza-...I ...uhhhhhh...eh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Chaos Code-Hikaru's moveset. He's got two different rekka chains, Slayers punch that has him dash out then in, and some of the coolest projectile angles coupled with really good supers. He feels great to play and I'd love to see more characters like him.
  • Blaz Blue Chrono Phantasms Extend-The cast. Holy shit, every character is a treasure. Just so much care taken on their movesets and unique systems. I need to play more, but I obsess on story and can't stop watching the novel that is story mode.
  • Phantom Breaker Extra- I play it super casual because essentially you should really just zone in this game IMO. However, get folks together tell em to slug it out and it becomes chaos with all the clashes, counters, and cancels. Just flashing DBZ style fists. Fun for chaos but not for serious. You can tell that it almost had some kind of crazy in your face thing happening but it went too far and made it too difficult to control in the closeup game so folks really can't enjoy the slugfest it almost was. Still feels exciting to get into those bouts though.
  • Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!!- Everything save the aesthetic. Its got movesets as crazy as TVC and Blaz Blue, it has more customization than Marvel, its a combo sandbox moreso than Nitro Plus, it has homing dash cancel uniqueness to its great footsies, and its just overall one of the best things I've ever played.
  • Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm- I own this?
  • Guilty Gear Xrd- Speed and impact of offense. This game is as it was...fast, powerful and exciting. Love me some Slayer.
  • Vanguard Princess- huh...not sure if worse than or better than Aquapazza. Not sure if it matters.
  • KOF 13-Love it all, still dont have the execution for any of it. HD gauge still turns me on so hot. Also EX Kyo fo life.
  • KOF 11- Best roster? BEST. ROSTER. Sooooo much fun to play this game. I am in love with Oswald and Shion's stuff. Just too much fun.
  • Neo Geo Battle Colisseum- Kaede and Lee Pai Long on a team is so much fun to play. The roster in general feels great, and the action is FAST and in general its an idea SNK should revisit. Just one of the funnest rosters out there. Unique meter stuff.
  • CVS2- Grooves and Rock Howard.
  • Garou Mark of the Wolves- Love this game. Offense feels fast, but super footsy and the moves are so stylish. Plus the stages are great! Love me some Freeman, Rock, and Hwan bros.

These are the things I enjoyed the most out of these games. If I had to rank what games I have the most fun playing I'd say the top are:

1. Tatsunoko vs Capcom Ultimate All Stars
  2. Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!!
  3. Under Night in Birth EXE Late
  4. Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition
  5. *massive tie of BBCPE, NGBC,KOF11,N+ *

I still haven't received my copy of Koihime Enbu nor have I bought Twinkle Queen yet so there are maybe 2 or so more fighters yet for me to play on the consoles and PC before I go PS4 and Xbox One and give KI and SFV a try.

Most fun character's I've played:

This will be list heavy, but I feel like I have reached an end to a lot of the "study and take notes" side of my gaming that I've done for the past 4 years or so and I wanted to share a few things.

You know, I'm playing a lot of fighters right now. From old stuff, to new stuff. At this point I'm just in full production and design work is done so I'm just sorta playing and no longer seriously observing things and considering them from a meta standpoint...just finally having fun. Now that I'm reaching this point again its kind of fun for me to just sit back and reflect on just what I find the most fun things in each of the games I've been playing.

and YES I have been playing all these.

Three things I've come to love about Sol now that he ignited my GG obsession are first how he has basically no special ender to his blockstrings that's truly legit - close range DP is probably the only one. Everything else is gambles and shenanigans that works because there's just so much of it. The frame traps keep them scared so you can actually do things without getting blown the hell up.

The second is that the character's incredibly, incredibly freestyle. You can basically do whatever and it's legitimate. The silly conversions never end.

Third, whatever they're gonna do, Sol can blow it up, more or less.

It's a feeling player's nirvana.

shaowebb

Three things I've come to love about Sol now that he ignited my GG obsession are first how he has basically no special ender to his blockstrings that's truly legit - close range DP is probably the only one. Everything else is gambles and shenanigans that works because there's just so much of it. The frame traps keep them scared so you can actually do things without getting blown the hell up.

The second is that the character's incredibly, incredibly freestyle. You can basically do whatever and it's legitimate. The silly conversions never end.

You know its weird...ASW and French Bread consistently have the best feeling rhythm and pacing in their games. Just good solid action, fast, great looking animations on hit effects and flashy stuff. EXAMU though is extremely hit or miss yet they had one of my favorites.

I can see myself pushing BB or GG way higher on my fun list now that I'm just playing again though. Once I get into those games I get stuck hard. My XX Reload days were sooooooo long. I even got my wife into it. We both played a lot of Testament, and I used a lot of Bridget/Zappa too. New GG still feels weird to me without them.

Think I play some ASW and Frenchbread today between work and house hunting :)

Tripon

CbHCdnQUUAA6j0t.jpg

I don't understand what he means by freeform combos.

Beckx

19 pages on SF V OT already the thirst is real...

amazon game inventory now delayed

brook converters sold out everywhere

madcatz stick inventory now delayed

multiple threads on first page

game in steam top sellers list

Yeah, they're going to do alright with first week sales.

---------------

we interrupt your programming for a public service announcement. if you like old school platformers get strotchy (composer on Spelunky and other games) new game skorpulac. it's free.

Tripon

amazon game inventory now delayed

brook converters sold out everywhere

madcatz stick inventory now delayed

multiple threads on first page

game in steam top sellers list

Yeah, they're going to do alright with first week sales.

---------------

we interrupt your programming for a public service announcement. if you like old school platformers get strotchy (composer on Spelunky and other games) new game skorpulac. it's free.

Speaking of which, I'll likely make a thread for Lupe vs. Daigo exhibition match going on tonight later today unless somebody beats me to it.

Zissou

This is why I hate Sol, haha.

MechaX

I don't understand what he means by freeform combos.

I... kind of understand what he means (I think), even though I do disagree with it.

In Melee and Smash 4 at least, what you are going to be doing is a lot of strings and situational stuff that is going to really depend on your opponent's DI (or where your opponent will fall after being knocked back and what they will do in the process), as opposed to "Okay, I hit confirmed [x], so I can go into [y] link or combo." I'm assuming that the tech part of it does mostly come in DI and dancing and whatnot.

Beckx

People make an fgc thread for everything regardless of the content.

people launch reviews threads early all the time, and they get locked all the time, just like this one. not even fgc related, it's just the itch for the review thread shitshow.

xCobalt

people launch reviews threads early all the time, and they get locked all the time, just like this one. not even fgc related, it's just the itch for the review thread shitshow.

True. It seems like people are always itching to make a thread for everything that goes on in the fgc though despite how minor it may be.

It feels like no decision he makes can be objectively wrong, and I want every character to have the possibility of (situationally) incorrect decisons.
I'm articulating this poorly but I hope it makes some sense

Nearly every remotely smart decision in a fighting game is right or wrong only relatively - it depends on what the opponent does.

And actually, I'd say that is wrong: Sol is beautiful pretty much exactly because so many things he does are objectively bad - the cancels have huge gaps, revolver is a free throw on IB, etc. It only becomes viable because there are so many options that the opponent is kept guessing. They don't know what to expect so they can't blow it up. It, somehow, turns legitimate in a weird way. You just kind of have to get on the same wavelength as a silly little nerd-barbarian mashing his stick.

And I mean like. You look at Nage pressure and see things like button x 2S xx item, which is what, -20 or so? Yet it works at Mikado because they're scared of the 2H. That interaction is Sol in a nutshell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom