• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I thought enough people sub or donate to Arturo so that he goes deep in the bracket.

I guess sponsoring would be for more recognition.

Streaming is Art's job, the subs/donations go towards paying for rent/food/necessities, whatever little is left over is what he gets to use to enter tournies.

A sponsor would at the very least cover his travel expenses which would allow him to enter far more tournaments, instead of just the ones he's been hired to stream.

Which games are you playing lately and which characters are you using? And why?

Tekken (6, Tag2 and Rev) - Lili and Alisa. Both of those i gave another shot because Jun and Kunimitsu aren't in T7 (or 6 for that matter) but those two are. Lili mostly because she is cute and i finally feel like i can sorta do well with her. Alisa because on paper her pokey style should be good for me. Not entirely convinced yet though.

Xrd R - Jack O so far. She's complicated but kinda fun and if you can get your servant lockdown train going it seems extremely tough to get out. Looking forward to Kum, since she seems to have good buttons and simple strong options that can deal with most situations.

SFV - Karin. Good buttons, good movement, looks pretty cute though i wish they improved her face at least. Also Ohoho. Looking forward to Juri and Ibuki but apparently that'll be July and August. =/

Nitroplus Blasterz - Al Azif + zombies. Fast movement, well-rounded character than seems able to deal with a lot of stuff. Zombies are the best lockdown ever and are especially dangerous since i can zip over to the opponent so fast.

Shun

I didn't believe you on that Bravers Revel team name and sure enough their player profiles combine to read マリーローズちゃん バレーしにいきます。

I did put that that is serious their name. It really is their name, Team Soft Engine and their tagline was I want to play volleyball with Marie Rose.

Am I a bad person for wanting Infiltration to win every premiere event, if only to force everyone else to grind like mad for points?

Start forcing them big name players to show up at smaller ranking events.
They're going to show up regardless due to the rules and point structure.

SF5 - Rashid: easy to learn, looks cool, and suits my playstyle for the most part.
MKX - Kano (Cutthroat): not complicated, suits my play style, and has options for everything.

Also, I'm one of the few that still plays Street Fighter x Tekken. Message me if ever down for 360 XBL matches.

SFV - Learning Laura because BJJ and she'll help me up my offensive game.

Originally Posted by stn

SFV: Birdie, Rashid, and Laura are my mains at the moment. They seem easy to play and I'm not very good. I like most of the cast.

KI S3: Jago, Riptor, Sadira, and Rash are my mains. Again, easy to play is big for me. I can play most of the characters but some like Cinder, Combo, Glacius and Thunder I have a hard time getting going. I do have my buttons mapped weird and have to play with the stick so I accidentally get motions I don't want.

MKX: Raiden, Erron Black, Dvorah and Leatherface are my mains. Easy mode guys. I love the variation system so like half the cast I've put a good amount of time into.

GG Revelator: Slayer, Axl, Faust, Ino and Chipp are my mains. Game is so gorgeous and I need to play a lot more, the combat is so fun.

Smash 4: Pac-Man. I've never settled for a single character in a fighter my entire life but Smash is such an odd duck that when I decided to not be totally awful I stuck with Pac-Man. I love the alt with mits, the hydrant, the items and everything makes him so weird. "If you can't beat them, annoy them" was my motto at the time but sticking with him I can hold my own against most of my session friends.

It's such a great time for fighting games right now, been playing a ton and did like a 100 game SFV session last night locally. My left thumb is throbbing, haha.

That's like saying you're picking up Ken because you practice Karate :p

If you read it like that, I guess. :p I mean, I'm using her because she uses BJJ and her moves look cool as shit. But also because I think she's helping me become more offensive/take advantage of situations.

shaowebb

Nitroplus Blasterz - Al Azif + zombies. Fast movement, well-rounded character than seems able to deal with a lot of stuff. Zombies are the best lockdown ever and are especially dangerous since i can zip over to the opponent so fast.

I have faced this exact loadout on an Al Azif and it is indeed really fucking scary. As you say though, the zombies are ridiculous lockdown. Plus they let her combo her super into her super into her super. They last forever, hit multiple times and cover your animations up a lot confusing folks on blocking. Plus there are gaps in them so you can try for high low if you know when to fish. Hell it even allows you to extend combos looooooong after they should drop because of the delay being so easy to time given how long they'll stay out once they make it onto the screen.If someone rocks Zombies and Locusts prepare to take a nap...this combo gonna be here awhile.

Only loadout I see more is Locusts and Dragon because Dragon assist holds them in the air long enough for locusts to hit with easy timing.

PhilTCasual

Neo Member

SF5 - Rashid: easy to learn, looks cool, and suits my playstyle for the most part.
MKX - Kano (Cutthroat): not complicated, suits my play style, and has options for everything.

Also, I'm one of the few that still plays Street Fighter x Tekken. Message me if ever down for 360 XBL matches.

SFV: Cammy/Dictator. Cammy for when I want to be a little more aggressive and dictator for when I want to take my time.

Shun

Oh, why is Koko considered so bad now in BB? She was so dominant in CP.

The number of participating characters do not necessarily mean the character is bad. Amane is a good example of that. Amane is a pretty strong character but not many plays him.

Kokonoe is not Kagura tier. She is not as dominant as her CP version but that does not make her bad.

You are competitive, for the most part, so long as you are not Kagura tier. The talent and competition pool for qualifiers were just that deep. There are a ton of top and high level players who did not qualify. And that is attributed to the 2v2 format.

Watching Juicebox's new video. He says to pick a character that's more limited, and that's why I switched to Laura. Chun is too strong in V. I'll go back to her when I'm a better player.

K.Sabot

Finally a big sponsor enters the FGC.

Been a long time since.

Last one was what... Winterfox sponsoring 801Strider? And they're a tier 3 esports org at best.

Been a while since the days of Complexity and EG swiping up dudes.

Her fighting style in game I mean, is it like bjj irl?

There's similarities but of course, it's turned up to 100 and sometimes the subtleties aren't there. Like when she does a rear naked choke during her CA she does what looks like an S-grip but the second arm is supposed to be behind the head to stabilize and pressure.

So it's definitely BJJ, but being a video game with people who shoot lighting and fireballs, it has its liberties.

mbpm1

bjj users have been known to throw electric balls of energy and electrocute you while rolling you around the room

BJJ confirmed for braindead martial artists? Kappa

There's similarities but of course, it's turned up to 100 and sometimes the subtleties aren't there. Like when she does a rear naked choke during her CA she does what looks like an S-grip but the second arm is supposed to be behind the head to stabilize and position.

So it's definitely BJJ, but being a video game with people who shoot lighting and fireballs, it has its liberties.

Cool. Just curious

mbpm1

My feeling is that if there is tech...JP probably knows it way before us. Our secrets probably aren't guaranteed to be secret and if in fact JP knows it they probably are already practiced in using and countering the tech.

In which case secrecy and prevention of actively utilizing said tech except in limited trial runs is actually a disadvantage.

Top player collaboration is cool though

El Sloth

Banned
"Brazilian players hoping to win a Pro Tour event in their home country might have to wait a while. There will be three more events in the country this season, but two of them do not have dates yet. The only one that does is SANA, which will run from July 15 to 17, the same weekend as Evo."

oof that's a bit of a rough choice the good Brazilian players have to make. Stay for the easy points without having to worry about foreign invaders, other than maybe from other South American countries, or go to Evo to compete on the biggest stage?

from http://www.dailydot.com/esports/justin-wong-cacomp-jam/

Line_HTX

That's terrible scheduling. Were there any weekends in last year's Capcom Pro Tour where there where two different premieres on the same weekend?

That's terrible scheduling. Were there any weekends in last year's Capcom Pro Tour where there where two different premieres on the same weekend?
Hypespotting and ncr.
Scr and brazil

The schedule conflict just goes to show what a shitty point system there is for the cpt. 4th place at evo gets the same amount of points as 1st place at the brazilian ranking event.

When was the last time STSFN worked?

It worked when Justin pulled out his counter team on ChrisG in Grand Finals of EVO. He had been saving for almost a year, even sand bagging his losses to ChrisG earlier in the tournament season.

I can't think of another example in more recent times though.

I mean infiltration pulled that shit pretty much every time he pulled out a new character in SF4.

MrDaravon

I can't believe this wasn't already posted? SHOCKING NEWS:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/...h-no-word-peripheral-maker-yet-term-renewals/

Team Spiritzero: Although this time you entered SF5 Crash as Team Topanga, is it alright if we ask you about what's going to happen between you and your sponsor Mad Catz?

Tokido: Well, I can really only speak for Mago and myself, but basically our sponsorship contracts with Mad Catz had already expired back in March.

The contract was for a one-year period, and we think at the moment they (the folks at Mad Catz) are probably still discussing over whether or not they are going to renew the contracts.

Team Spiritzero: Will you still continue to make appearances on Topanga, then?

Tokido: With regards to Topanga TV, if Toyota-san (the president of Topanga) would still have me on, I would definitely come on the show.

Team Spiritzero: What about you, Mago? Has your contract with Mad Catz expired as well?

Mago: Yes, that's correct. It's just like what Tokido said, the contractual period reached its conclusion in March. As to what we're going to do from here on out, I don't fully know yet. Maybe we'll get our contracts with Mad Catz renewed. Or maybe we'll part ways with them.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
RIP Madcatz

place your bets on whether Madcatz will survive into 2017

Well with SFV being a colossal failure I'm going to assume their sticks/fightpads aren't selling anywhere near projections. Their plastic instrument business already failed, and god knows nobody buys regular Madcatz gamepads.

So yea I'm pretty sure they are done. I just hope Saitek manages to survive it.

shaowebb

RIP Madcatz

place your bets on whether Madcatz will survive into 2017

Everyone warned them that doubling down on Rockband stuff wasn't wise. Thing is, with the strong gamer movement to just use plugins and make it so old sticks run on new gen systems it wasn't looking like sticks and pads would be as big as it used to be even if it remained steady.

Not certain if they could have changed anyone's minds about the quality of their gamepads for regular stuff if they had put heavy effort on improving it as a cheaper alternative to 1st party controllers. Their casual gaming controller reputation was legendarily bad.

It hurts really...they did some good work there for the FGC. But it took a resurgence of a genre to really put them up as high as they got honestly. I really don't know what they could have ventured into to secure a sustainable base for their revenue with next gen. Not like cel phone controllers, are big. Maybe gaming mice and keyboards?

I noticed, KidA
qyK7Y3E.jpg

Thores

Street Fighter V: Birdie. First off, I love his personality and aesthetic. He's ridiculous, hilarious, and disgusting, and helps fill the void left my my main man Dan Hibiki in IV. And it helps that I love his playstyle. If you can establish control of the fight's pace and flow, you keep that control for the entire match. And his food mechanic and variety of grabs and semi-grabs mean you have the tools to gain that control from any range. He's super scary and more importantly, super fun.

Pokken Tournament: Braixen. I really like Braixen's design and I think it's great that Bandai Namco looked at that and made her basically a magical girl. She also has fun zoning tools and a satisfying Fire Spin > Fire Blast combo, but I'm really all about the flair and style with which she uses them. I've been learning Pikachu Libre as a secondary, and I love her too. Her super alone is what got me on board, but I also like her in-your-face playstyle and quick command grabs.

Nitroplus Blasterz: Saya. She's probably the hardest of this batch to get the hang of, but I really like her "hi I'm a cute anime girl JUST KIDDING I'M MADE OF MEAT" aesthetic and unsettling-looking moveset. Mostly I just get my ass kicked, but when I pull off a fantastic looking combo with her at mid-range it's just so satisfying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom