• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

You see this with MTG too, the main reason is to make sure the tournaments aren't cut off from minors.

Yup. None of this should be shocking to anyone. I'm pleasantly surprised the players from those sponsors can even still participate minus the tags.

People wanted esports/money. /shrug

I didn't find Injustice all that enjoyable. I don't care for most of the DC characters. Mortal Kombat's cast is classic to me, so I always have interest there.

Aha, it's the other way around for me. Even though i know rationally MK uses just the same old tropes as every other fighting game, somehow the classic characters feel really juvenile to me. Not enough to put me off the game, but i'm not gonna play any of those color coded ninjas. And i like ninjas in other games.

As to Injustice, i kinda wish they'd make a fighting game with just Batman characters (or at least his power level) instead of forcing some kinda explanation as to why folks can fight Superman. I'm not usually that big on lore, but jeez my brain felt like it was leaking out during the Injustice story bits.

onionfrog

Ed Boon just changed his Twitter Avatar to the Number 2 guys

Its happening. He tends to do things like this right before an announcement and E3 is right on us. Get ready guys...Injustice 2 looks like it will get announced soon. I cannot wait to see what comes next.

Possible things that seem likely to be on the list of tools that get tweaked:
  • Movement. Faster walk speeds was a big gripe in the old game and early gameplay had a lot of folks confused by how to deal with zoning. Folks adapted and Deathstroke zoning got a nerf but I wouldn't be surprised if we see new stuff so nerfs arent something they have to resort to as often just to get people in on folks. Whether its runs, or dashes, rolls or whatever I couldn't guess.
  • Meter. Its no secret this always gets a change as new mechanics approach. Given the last game had meter burn on soooo many things from Interactibles to moves to B3 stuff alongside of a wager system that used it I wouldn't doubt the meta gets hugely shaken by this alone.
  • Character Gimmicks. I couldn't even begin to count the number of TYM threads on character gimmicks whether it was bitching about a dull one or praising a good one or even proposed different ones. I'd easily believe we see something new here. Could mean variation styles like MKX, could mean custom pick a gimmick, could just be a changed one. Who knows? I bet its getting shaken up.
  • The breaker/comeback system. Wagers were shit. They served as the dullest breaker ever and generally didn't act as a comeback mechanic at all. I'd guarantee changes here above all else.
  • Interactibles/stage transitions. These were even being tweaked in patches in the original. Whatever they do with meter will be a large factor here.
  • Wakeups. I wouldn't doubt with all the 50/50 talk and with all the salt us Bane mains poured on that they wouldn't be working in new wakeup options.
  • Single Player minigames. Yeah yeah yeah...folks LOVE NRS single player bonus content. Last time though these minigames were pretty hit or miss. Here's hoping we see some new variety in there :)
I just want:
1. A PC version that is actually good and not abandoned a few months in.
2. Cross platform online multiplayer.

zuR9ss0.gif

As to Injustice, i kinda wish they'd make a fighting game with just Batman characters (or at least his power level) instead of forcing some kinda explanation as to why folks can fight Superman. I'm not usually that big on lore, but jeez my brain felt like it was leaking out during the Injustice story bits.

I'm with you on that one

kirblar

Ed Boon just changed his Twitter Avatar to the Number 2 guys

Its happening. He tends to do things like this right before an announcement and E3 is right on us. Get ready guys...Injustice 2 looks like it will get announced soon. I cannot wait to see what comes next.

Possible things that seem likely to be on the list of tools that get tweaked:
  • Movement. Faster walk speeds was a big gripe in the old game and early gameplay had a lot of folks confused by how to deal with zoning. Folks adapted and Deathstroke zoning got a nerf but I wouldn't be surprised if we see new stuff so nerfs arent something they have to resort to as often just to get people in on folks. Whether its runs, or dashes, rolls or whatever I couldn't guess.
  • Meter. Its no secret this always gets a change as new mechanics approach. Given the last game had meter burn on soooo many things from Interactibles to moves to B3 stuff alongside of a wager system that used it I wouldn't doubt the meta gets hugely shaken by this alone.
  • Character Gimmicks. I couldn't even begin to count the number of TYM threads on character gimmicks whether it was bitching about a dull one or praising a good one or even proposed different ones. I'd easily believe we see something new here. Could mean variation styles like MKX, could mean custom pick a gimmick, could just be a changed one. Who knows? I bet its getting shaken up.
  • The breaker/comeback system. Wagers were shit. They served as the dullest breaker ever and generally didn't act as a comeback mechanic at all. I'd guarantee changes here above all else.
  • Interactibles/stage transitions. These were even being tweaked in patches in the original. Whatever they do with meter will be a large factor here.
  • Wakeups. I wouldn't doubt with all the 50/50 talk and with all the salt us Bane mains poured on that they wouldn't be working in new wakeup options.
  • Single Player minigames. Yeah yeah yeah...folks LOVE NRS single player bonus content. Last time though these minigames were pretty hit or miss. Here's hoping we see some new variety in there :)
It really, really needs to not be Makoto: The Game like the first one was.

It really, really needs to not be Makoto: The Game like the first one was.
I don't follow.

Aha, it's the other way around for me. Even though i know rationally MK uses just the same old tropes as every other fighting game, somehow the classic characters feel really juvenile to me. Not enough to put me off the game, but i'm not gonna play any of those color coded ninjas. And i like ninjas in other games.

Every fighting game has that going on, though. I mean, name one where the canon matches the actual fights taking place.

Xevren

Injustice 2 sounds pretty cool. I just pray it's not going to be so 50/50 heavy like mkx was, I can't put up with that crap again.

Kalamari

I bet Redbull made a deal with Capcom to restrict sponsors that it can't compete with, namely alocoholic beverage companies.

pixelish

daigo will make a big announcement on his beast tv stream later. any guesses?

DaigotheBeasTV ‏@beas_tv 24h
BeasTVは明日です!ゲストはふ~どとガチくん!
ウメハラから大発表があります!お見逃しなく!
Big announcement from Daigo tomorrow!
http://twitch.tv/DaigotheBeasTV

Every fighting game has that going on, though. I mean, name one where the canon matches the actual fights taking place.

Sure, but it's a sliding scale i guess? It's like Injustice goes out of its way to find the biggest power disparity possible by stuffing Catwoman and Superman in the same game.

And then looks for some way to make that work within the lore. Please. I'd rather they just handwave it then.

I hope injustice will be good. I can't get into NRS games usually. The gameplay feels too stiff. Hopefully they change it up with this one.

I will wait and see what Injustice 2 has to show, should it be revealed next week.

I really enjoyed the first Injustice, so I want to see how NRS improves upon it. Injustice was a big improvement over MK9 in terms of fighting mechanics, and MKX was another big improvement on Injustice in terms of mechanics and (eventually) online.

With all the strides that MKX brought to NRS from a development standpoint, the prospect of an Injustice 2 excites me.

The Light

I never understood why people had a problem with it and why NRS had to come up with a terrible reason to do it. It's like people never read a comic or watched cartoons based on these characters before.

Sure, but it's a sliding scale i guess? It's like Injustice goes out of its way to find the biggest power disparity possible by stuffing Catwoman and Superman in the same game.

And then looks for some way to make that work within the lore. Please. I'd rather they just handwave it then.
I get annoyed when Dormammu is shot by Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom