• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Sabot

Kalamari

I have tried watching Mobas, but I just don't see the appeal from a spectator point of view. Nothing compares to fighting games in my opinion, they are simple enough for a newcomer to understand, yet complex enough for seasoned experts.

Taking the consistently big damage out of SFV that it had early on in the Betas/demos was an enormous mistake imo.
I agree they should have kept the super high damage from beta one. Where one mistake could cost you the round. Would have kept things exciting.

kirblar

I agree they should have kept the super high damage from beta one. Where one mistake could cost you the round. Would have kept things exciting.
The problem w/ the game and casual play now- when you have to get 4 things right to win, it's a lot easier to get a win vs a better player than when you have to get 10 things right.

The game punishes skill gaps harshly now.

Throws being super scary re: stun was fantastic.

Damn, I thought I didn't like SF5 but fucking Henry Cen makes me look like a fan in comparison. Dude hates SFV, salty as fuck at the fact the scene in NY is less active than during Ultra.
Nlbc has grown stale. It's the same shit week after week.It sucks, but I was growing tired of it during Ultra.

They need to mix things up.

Nuu

Banned
Not surprising given the insane shitshow last year was, and then this year it's being run by Bifuteki ( L O L ) and largely (completely?) other people who had nothing to do with saving it last year. And it's a week before CEO which forces a lot of people to choose. And it's previous bad reputation with the co-owner who I feel like I'm still seeing conflicting reports on whether or not he's involved etc.

They probably should have just let the name die and start something new if they were gonna do anything at all.

Knew this would happen when I saw their dates on the schedule. No surprise here given what happened last year plus being held the week before CEO plus the change in management.

Hope the event goes well.

What happened at Apex last year?

I have tried watching Mobas, but I just don't see the appeal from a spectator point of view. Nothing compares to fighting games in my opinion, they are simple enough for a newcomer to understand, yet complex enough for seasoned experts.

Not to mention watching MOBAs in general is boring as shit.

Just like playing them.

CO_Andy

Nlbc has grown stale. It's the same shit week after week.It sucks, but I was growing tired of it during Ultra.
Art's unpopularity, Sp00ky gone, all the star talent barely going (like Sanford and Die), Marvel being dead, lack of fresh talent like Smug... NLBC may not be long for this world.

Infinite

Art's unpopularity, Sp00ky gone, all the star talent barely going (like Sanford and Die), Marvel being dead, lack of fresh talent like Smug... NLBC may not be long for this world.

That's biggest problem with NLBC right now from a viewer perspective. Honestly I don't think it's anything Henry and company can do to remedy the issues with this.

That's biggest problem with NLBC right now from a viewer perspective. Honestly I don't think it's anything Henry and company can do to remedy the issues with this.
I enjoyed the inside baseball they had of the New York players and made the rando you see have even a tiny bit of back story. Same goes with churning the butter in SF. Magus123 did a good job telling a little narrative to almost all the not cal players.

Malice215

What happened at Apex last year?

Issues with the venue/issues with one of the previous organizers.

NLBC fell off a cliff because SFV is cheeks and NY isn't showing up for it. Now with Spooky living it up in the Philippines, big names no longer showing up, no new rivalries developing, and the stream going stretches without commentary, it becomes hard to watch.

I love how so many people on GAF are adamant about SFV "great gameplay" yet the response from a lot of players I'm talking to out here is mixed to say the least.

yhpcgSf.jpg

Current Smash 4 tier list by ZeRo? I guess.

The best 3 chars aren't from Nintendo franchises lol

Tripon

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1soon60

Apparently, the reason KI players aren't showing up for CEO is because of no pot bonus.

https://twitter.com/CEOJebailey/status/739271746856050688

Also TheKeits and Jebailey feuding over this.

https://twitter.com/TheKeits/status/739255575897341952

Alex Jebailey
‏@CEOJebailey
.@Filipinoman sigh figured that was the case. I tried to get support to no avail. Will just drop it next year once a community turns on CEO.

The NERFinator
‏@TheKeits The NERFinator Retweeted Alex Jebailey
This is how you lose the support of a community.

Alex Jebailey ‏@CEOJebailey 1h1 hour ago Cocoa Beach, FL
Alex Jebailey Retweeted IBUKI
@TheKeits @Filipinoman this isn't how you lead a community and indirectly make my event look bad

.la1n

To be honest filipinoman instigated this whole thing by making it sound like the views of one KI player represented the entire community.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1soon60

Apparently, the reason KI players aren't showing up for CEO is because of no pot bonus.

https://twitter.com/CEOJebailey/status/739271746856050688

Also TheKeits and Jebailey feuding over this.

https://twitter.com/TheKeits/status/739255575897341952
KI "only" had a $15,000 pot bonus last year?

I love how so many people on GAF are adamant about SFV "great gameplay" yet the response from a lot of players I'm talking to out here is mixed to say the least.
I hear this a lot from you, but never concrete reasons.

Sayad

I mean, let's ignore that it's bringing more players than any version of SFIV(or any other fighting game) ever did to most tournaments and use NLBC as a metric for the game's popularity, that and the people ZTS talk to.

Nightii

Banned
Or we can ignore the white noise and continue with our lives :p

NLBC is definitely boring for me now, though, needs a serious injection of interesting players.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
SFIV was a better spectator game. SFV has less BS but is much much less flashier. Doesn't translate well to spectating.

I agree with Valle when he said the game will get old fast if they don't add some other mechanic and I personally would like some combo extender. The game is still early in its life so Capcom has some time to make it better. Vanilla SFIV is worse than vanilla SFV, I just hope SFV gets the same treatment and gets as big as Ultra ended up.

I mean, let's ignore that it's bringing more players than any version of SFIV(or any other fighting game) ever did to most tournaments and use NLBC as a metric for the game's popularity, that and the people ZTS talk to.

That has nothing to do with whether it is a good fighting game or not. Peoole see Bayformers & they are garbage movies. We are talking about whether SFV is a great fighting game or a bellow average fighting game that people are just accepting.

Chris G won WNF last week & took his time to talk about how the game isn't honest, footsies are neutred, & it's a game were you are rewared for going ham. Snake eyes complains about the game, lots of players do but you guys seem to have selective hearing. It's far from universally praised.

Dahbomb

Taking the consistently big damage out of SFV that it had early on in the Betas/demos was an enormous mistake imo.
Considering how the game is very "two combos into stun" heavy, I don't know how many people would actually believe with that. Games go by pretty quick and most characters hit like a truck.

Skab

That has nothing to do with whether it is a good fighting game or not. Peoole see Bayformers & they are garbage movies. We are talking about whether SFV is a great fighting game or a bellow average fighting game that people are just accepting.

Chris G won WNF last week & took his time to talk about how the game isn't honest, footsies are neutred, & it's a game were you are rewared for going ham. Snake eyes complains about the game, lots of players do but you guys seem to have selective hearing. It's far from universally praised.

And it's far from hated.

Like most games, it has people whole enjoy it and those who don't. There's a lot of people on gaf that enjoy it. You don't. Move on.

Tripon

And it's far from hated.

Like most games, it has people whole enjoy it and those who don't. There's a lot of people on gaf that enjoy it. You don't. Move on.

Or don't. I'm sure in a year from now, we'll talk about the good aspects of Tekken 7 FR, KOF 14, and whatever other Fighting game people are playing.

Or not. Because, you know, Bandai Namco is perfectly fine keeping Tekken 7 away from the masses.

It was definitely the right move. High damage is fun, but beta 1's damage was just ridiculous.

SFIV was a better spectator game. SFV has less BS but is much much less flashier. Doesn't translate well to spectating.

I agree with Valle when he said the game will get old fast if they don't add some other mechanic and I personally would like some combo extender. The game is still early in its life so Capcom has some time to make it better. Vanilla SFIV is worse than vanilla SFV, I just hope SFV gets the same treatment and gets as big as Ultra ended up.

V-trigger cancels don't count?

Nuu

Banned

SFIV is one of the most boring fighting games to watch, period. SFV is way more entertaining.

What fighting game isn't regularly criticized?

Zissou

Capcom's bungling is hurting the game, but I think the game will stick around because (in order of descending importance):
1) It's simple enough game to be enjoyed by people new to the genre and there aren't other active fighting games with the same level of accessibility to new players
2) The name
3) Capcom/Sony dumping money into the game and tournament scene

Tripon

Capcom's bungling is hurting the game, but I think the game will stick around because (in order of descending importance):
1) It's simple enough game to be enjoyed by people new to the genre and there aren't other active fighting games with the same level of accessibility to new players
2) The name
3) Capcom/Sony dumping money into the game and tournament scene
Just as long the game doesn't go F2P before Feb. 18th, 2017. You know, for reasons.

CO_Andy

SFV just needs more characters.

Longer combos would be nice, but you know less combo intensive characters like Gief can be even more entertaining with good reads. Mika was pretty hype in the beginning but then everyone realized she's a derpy top tier.

Neoxon

SFV just needs more characters.

Longer combos would be nice, but you know less combo intensive characters like Gief can be even more entertaining with good reads. Mika was pretty hype in the beginning but then everyone realized she's a derpy top tier.
More characters will come in due time, like with any other fighting game. SFIV started out with around 16-19 characters for its initial arcade launch, it ended up with 44 characters by the end of its 7-year run.

Dahbomb

Nothing in SFV is more exciting as Evil Ryu combos. Don't kid yourself.
Minus the Umehara-gah moment, I don't remember any exciting Evil Ryu combo moment. Seems like once that character took off his combos became standard affair at tournaments just like every single combo on a character that ends up being despite technical requirements.

SFIV is one of the most boring fighting games to watch, period. SFV is way more entertaining.

To each his own. I love playing SFV and I also really enjoy watching SFV. But I find SF4 a lot more fun to watch IMO and I don't think that will ever change. The long combos, set play, character specific stuff, wonky hit boxes, and just sheer wackiness made for a infuriating experience but it was a amazing to watch at high level.

A few days ago I decided to watch Daigo vs Momochi GF at stunfest and winners, losers, and grand finals of EVO. Still very fun to to go back and rewatch. I know SFV has a lot more room to grow, with more additional characters, balance changes, and maybe even additional mechanics. But I think they'll keep it more simple and straight forward so that's a big part of the reason why I don't think it'll ever surpass SF4.

I honestly think if SFV was not the main CPT game people would have gone back to SFIV and SFV would of had the same fate as SFxTekken. The best SFV build was the beta one build. They should have kept it like that. The game was fast, super damaging, one mistake could cost you the round, jabs linking into bigger damage. Right now this game is just super one note. When Chris G said this game is not honest and rewards you for just going ham and pressing buttons I agree with him. SFV is a game of pressing buttons and just do things. While it's entertaining to play its not as fun to watch as SFIV. Also while SFV is still young I feel like this game not as good as SFIV. Which was more varied. But it also had 7 years to develop. So who knows maybe after patches SFV will get better. To me in a game where your best anti air is st.jab is trash mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom