• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zissou

Japan caught on pretty fast. The difference, though, is that Seth Killian had months with the game - top Marvel players figured it out by then.

That's because everyone had an air dash in MvC3 Vanilla Beta.

That Ghost Rider change might have made him usable!

There was a build of ultimate in which She-Hulk had an air dash, IIRC.

JeTmAn81

I still think Haggar should've gotten a trash can to throw but overall his changes in Ultimate were exactly what he needed.

pixelish

reading up on the news about the orlando shooting, i was wondering how's the security usually like in fighting game tournaments especially majors in america? i remembered there was a potential shooting at pokemon worlds last year and it was very fortunate that the perpetrators were arrested before anything disastrous happened.

I still think Haggar should've gotten a trash can to throw but overall his changes in Ultimate were exactly what he needed.

I remember being at EVO 2011, where a panel for UMVC3 took place. At the panel, the team teased some balance changes for the cast. When they got to Haggar, I distinctly remember them saying that Haggar got a new move. THEY LIED.

You are right, though. Haggar got all the changes he needed.

shaowebb

Cvs2 is overrated.

I think it deserves all its praise and nostalgia, but it definitely had its top tier defined. Me and Q were just talking about that list the other day. Bison, Blanka, Sagat, Cammy a few Rock Howards. Basically SNK wasn't riding the top of that game lol.

I could care less though whats top tier. The game was super fun. Such good footsies and a stellar roster. Plus that custom color alt creation stuff and groove system was awesome.

Good memories. Makes me reaaaaaaaaally miss Rock Howard though. When's that dude ever gonna return? His moveset had everything!
There was a build of ultimate in which She-Hulk had an air dash, IIRC.

Sadly their wasn't one of Iron Fist with an air dash. He had a lot more problems than that, but with an air dash he'd have had a lot easier a time. IN HH mode it was the main thing I used as a perk. You'd be amazed at how hard you can stay on people and pressure them with Iron Fist with that single change. Still has the issues with his locked away rekkas and Crescent heel bouncing them thus making his only overhead cost him crumples and launchers but staying in and gaining crossup starters did a shitload with airdashing.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
vf movement rules

tumblr_nc2t14tiU41slig2vo1_400.gif

3tb & 5fs movement is way better than tekken sorry zts

vf movement rules

tumblr_nc2t14tiU41slig2vo1_400.gif

3tb & 5fs movement is way better than tekken sorry zts

LOL gif looks like shit. He does 2 side steps and a forward dash while Akira is side rolling, big whoop. That's nothing compared to what you can do in Tekken AND thanks for proving my point with a gif of SS and no spacing.

Seriously this isn't an argument. Anyone who has even watched both games knows Tekken's movement system is way better. Tekken is constantly played at different ranges with characters darting in and out of them. VF matches characters are literally face to face right next to each other the whole damn time.

Tripon

CEO Gaming Inc
25 mins · Orlando, FL ·

As many of you have heard, there was mass shooting in a a Downtown Orlando Nightclub late last night. https://twitter.com/NPR/status/742009514929557504.

I take the safety of everyone attending CEO very serious every year. We will take the necessary precautions to assure the safety of everyone in attendance to the best of our abilities. Your safety and enjoyment are our biggest concerns. CEO staff as well as the Wyndham Hotel Staff will also be on constant surveillance for any suspicious activity.

I have a meeting with the Wyndham Hotel this week to discuss CEO weekend's additional security. I will be transparent and let everyone know when I can after speaking to the hotel and local authorities on what we can do for the event so that everyone can have a great time.

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me.

Alex Jebailey
https://www.facebook.com/events/1453931008242748/permalink/1560877947548053/

Kalamari

Clearly never seen a VF match in your life.

LOL XD

I'm just talking about the smoothness and fluidity of movement, as in the movement animations of the body.

I think you're interpreting movement as it pertains to spacing and dashing and whatnot, the movement of the character with respect to the opponent in the game. Although some could argue that VF is superior in that respect as well, I'm not that familiar with either game to do so.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
spacing and footsies are definitely less important in VF. sidestep is much better in vf though, tekken has no real side turn game compared to final showdown.

Sayad

It is not faster. You need to have an actor or athlete sit in a room for hours and hours doing the same move over and over till it looks good. Then they need to take that animation upload it, modify it so it actually works in game and looks better, and then manually animate the characters return to neutral animation or transition into another attack.

NRS seems to mocap their cutscenes(way easier) mostly not as much for the animations. Just look at Super Girls walk eye laser. That shit is hella not motion captured. I know for a fact they use mocap for some things, have been for awhile, but they clearly don't put the time in to make it look great.
NRS/Midway have been mo-cap-ing in game animation since PS2 days(those games had a lot of behind the scene stuff), and Ed Boon teased some MKX characters by pictures of mo-cap actors doing their moves.

And mo-cap is faster, unless you're doing some really basic animation like Mighty No 9 or some shit, for realistic human movement, mo-cap is way faster than doing everything manually. There really is no argument there, the whole point of using mo-cap is that it saves time!

shaowebb

If Tekken is rock 'em sock 'em then what's MK?

Whatever the equivalent of block dash is. Even in Injustice where you didn't have MK9 style block dash stuff you had to block then dash in because walk speeds were so terrible and jumping from long distance just made you a target for interactibles and zoners as it'd be easy to pick you off and put you full screen again (see scrubs vs Deathstrokes).

Kind of makes me wonder if they'll have a run button, air dashes universal or faster walk speeds this time. I even seen air dodging suggested at one point in Injustice 1 because people wanted ways in (granted that guy was a jumping bean though from his vids).

More or less you either rode an attack, interactible or blocking then dashing in with the first game. Hope it gets better and faster this time around.

Sigmaah

To all my niggas who play Xrd, how do you think id like it?

I love Mahvel, that's all I can provide.

If I do get the game (which I'm most likely gonna) Ima play slayer cause he's named after fucking SLAYER. How is he? i will deff play other chars too since a lot of the chars are dope af imo but how is he?

Hype!

To all my niggas who play Xrd, how do you think id like it?

I love Mahvel, that's all I can provide.

If I do get the game (which I'm most likely gonna) Ima play slayer cause he's named after fucking SLAYER. How is he? i will deff play other chars too since a lot of the chars are dope af imo but how is he?
Every character feels like total bullshit and nothing is fair. So, a lot like Marvel. No team mechanics or anything, but in 1v1 gameplay it's probably the highest power levels out there. BlazBlue is much more fair in comparison, IMO (except for Carl - fuck him).

This Slayer mixup from Q's video is so goddamn typical it makes me salty:
https://youtu.be/F9wXY7B56Hw?t=3361

Oh yeah, and Raven has a tridash.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Hype!

Every character feels like total bullshit and nothing is fair. So, a lot like Marvel. No team mechanics or anything, but in 1v1 gameplay it's probably the highest power levels out there. BlazBlue is much more fair in comparison, IMO (except for Carl - fuck him).

Oh yeah, and Raven has a tridash.

Dont forget bedman the actual marvel character :p

Anne

Except that you have to fail several times in GG to lose.

BB you make two mistakes you're gone. Not unlike Marvel. Kappa

You actually got this backwards. GG is setplay city, one fuck up is half life into knockdown and setplay. In BB you can get snowballed too but it's not actually as crazy as it is in GG. GG is the grand daddy of ASW setplay.

Edit: A bit more in depth, that type of Slayer mix up is on the weaker end in GG btw, lots of ways to deal with that. The main thing in GG is that the game has a static knockdown state. "Anne, the characters have different wake up timings though." Yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that the same knockdown will force the same char to wake up on the same frame. Everybody in the cast can force a hard knockdown, everybody can force a mix up or safejump and most everybody can force a dumb one at that. The only thing stopping every game from ending in one hit is that conversions in GG get pretty specific and you can blow resources to try and get out of death. "Yeah, those defensive options make it so you can deal with GG offense." Kind of. They won't get you out of a mix up straight up unless you burst usually. Faultless Defense, Dead Angle, etc all stop people from continuing to extend on you.

Blazblue has a roll and variable wake up timings that the player controls. You can cover those options with pretty much everybody, but you give up a stronger mix up (usually) in order to do that. The characters that have setplay tools built into their kit can obv cover roll and mix you up, but it's not as universal a thing of knocking somebody down and running whatever bullshit you got on them. Blazblue has a lot of the same defensive options as GG (and Barrier is a free resource at that) so that's not too different. The difference in BB is that pressure is better on the ground and you can get easily mixed up out of pressure. Those defensive options help in that a lot, but it will still happen. Also BB combos tend to let you turn smaller hits into at least a conversion into knockdown. That type of knockdown tends to not be strong, but it can get at least pressure which is p good in BB.

End result is that in BB you can get oppressed from a small mistake, but you rarely get outright killed or vortexed immediately from a knockdown or something. In Xrd, damage is high enough that 2 hits can kill you and almost any knockdown can turn into some hilarious mix up. Both games are extremely momentum heavy, yeah, but GG is definitely more on the end of "fuck up once, end round on the next mix up" while BB is "fuck up once, end up in extended pressure that might end the round".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom