• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaythe

Can we stop using Naruto as good example of cell shading ?

Cutscenes look decent, mostly because of the animation and effects, but the models and shadows look bad.

In cutscenes. Ingame it looks like garbage.

Last one on ps4 :

50b0ea820f73c04d40fb9ad27d4eb222.jpg

ShinMaruku

The League of Legends fighting game will be the one to destroy SFV and probably everything we hold dear in the FGC.

Good. Maybe then the genre can evolve past being stuck in the past 15 years.

Riot and how they think would never give that game the space it needs to establish itself. And I don't think the genre is stagnant, but more these games don't lend themselves to the layman making Riot's attempt sheer lunacy but riot is a cult.

I'm a big fan of his character strength predictions.

SSF4: "Sagat is even stronger now"

MvC3: "Dante will be mid-tier at best"
I can forgive him on Dante, because the character was so free-flowing who could really know what the highest levels of Dante play would look like?

But then there's Vergil, and Seth Killian swore he wasn't top, either. I don't know how you can miss that.

SFIV for sure

You missed the secret correct answer, Gunslinger!

Dahbomb

I'm a big fan of his character strength predictions.

SSF4: "Sagat is even stronger now"

MvC3: "Dante will be mid-tier"
ROFL!

"Jill is secret top tier!"

"Vergil isn't top tier for sure"

Real answer is his work on MVC3 ensuring that MSS made it into the game especially Sentinel.

ROFL!

"Jill is secret top tier!"

"Vergil isn't top tier for sure"
That's why Jill got nerfed in Ultimate, and Zero got the buffs he needed.

I also remember Seth Killian talking about Dormammu's Ultimate buffs. "Did you wish that Dormammu could just stay back and throw pillars? He can do that now, because we've made them faster."

Final game has (IIRC) no frame data changes to Purification, and Dark Hole IIRC is -2 startup frames. I think Capcom's internal communication was just so bad the man didn't know what was going on half the time. On more than one occasion he has done a public test for a game, tried to show off a move or combo, and it isn't even there anymore.

Too punchy.
I'm glad we didn't get any punchy characters like Iron Fist. Oddly enough, both he and Ghost Rider are wastes of space!

CO_Andy

Can we stop using Naruto as good example of cell shading ?

In cutscenes. Ingame it looks like garbage.
The only reason why fighting games look better than your typical console games is because they don't have to render large scale environments with NPCs.

I can forgive him on Dante, because the character was so free-flowing who could really know what the highest levels of Dante play would look like?

But then there's Vergil, and Seth Killian swore he wasn't top, either. I don't know how you can miss that.

You missed the secret correct answer, Gunslinger!

A lot of people didn't think that at the beginning. Even a few months in I remember yipes still saying he thought Vergil was mid/high tier.

Another good seth one is: "Thor will have a lot of juice in this game."

Those Thor air grab mix-ups were truly too strong.

Dahbomb

Final game has (IIRC) no frame data changes to Purification, and Dark Hole IIRC is -2 startup frames. I think Capcom's internal communication was just so bad the man didn't know what was going on half the time. On more than one occasion he has done a public test for a game, tried to show off a move or combo, and it isn't even there anymore.
Yeah I can't even blame him for that, he was probably ahead or behind whatever build that was being displayed.

I remember he was showcasing Nova and tried to use his assist and was like "welp they changed it, it used to be his slide". Yeah, Nova used to have his Centurian slide as an assist but of course Capcom thought it would be too good so they removed it and didn't give Seth the memo.

Hearing about MVC3 build reports is some fascinating stuff. Some of my favorites:

*Dark Phoenix's feathers could go full screen.
*Wolverine's Dive Kick used to hit overhead.
*Vergil's Blistering Swords didn't used to cost meter.
*Ghost Rider's Heartless Spire move used to extend nearly full screen up (multiple confirmations including Based God Viscant himself)
*RR had a different trap assist that was found out to be cheap so they gave him that other one which no one uses.
*The infamous She Hulk air dash in UMVC3 (we had video evidence of this).
*Superior Iron Man mobility build.

I am sure there's a UMVC3 build out there where Iron Fist had an actual low attack and a non garbage launcher.

Actually most fascinating is the "use 1 meter to do a tag combo" TAC mechanic that was found in the game files not too long ago. It's fascinating because if hit stun scaling was adjusted for it then it would be a vastly superior mechanic to the current TAC mechanic.

Mizerman

Yeah I can't even blame him for that, he was probably ahead or behind whatever build that was being displayed.

I remember he was showcasing Nova and tried to use his assist and was like "welp they changed it, it used to be his slide". Yeah, Nova used to have his Centurian slide as an assist but of course Capcom thought it would be too good so they removed it and didn't give Seth the memo.

Hearing about MVC3 build reports is some fascinating stuff. Some of my favorites:

*Ghost Rider's Heartless Spire move used to extend nearly full screen up (multiple confirmations including Based God Viscant himself)
*RR had a different trap assist that was found out to be cheap so they gave him that other one which no one uses.

I am sure there's a UMVC3 build out there where Iron Fist had an actual low attack and a non garbage launcher.

Yeah, that would've been stupid good and Vergil didn't exactly need anymore stuff to be super special awesome.

I'm glad we didn't get any punchy characters like Iron Fist. Oddly enough, both he and Ghost Rider are wastes of space!

B-But...muh punches.

Line_HTX

lmao yeah
this game gonna get 5M in sales and GG not even gonna break 500k.
Hold dat L anime
next week's thread title

It just means that those 5 million have bad tastes, is all. triGiggle

NRS reminds of Telltale studios. All the money in the world and yet they refuse to fix their shitty engine.

Don't know why some of y'all are forgeting this dev

MKs9KA8.gif

I love those petals from Lili's Rage Attack.

Actually most fascinating is the "use 1 meter to do a tag combo" TAC mechanic that was found in the game files not too long ago. It's fascinating because if hit stun scaling was adjusted for it then it would be a vastly superior mechanic to the current TAC mechanic.
*Strider's Ouroboros being a 2 bar super.

Slaythe

The only reason why fighting games look better than your typical console games is because they don't have to render large scale environments with NPCs.

8cdeaf10c5403727a93ec0e10652aec2.png

Full cities with NPCs, and look at those ingame graphics...

Many games have a much cleaner cel shading look than Naruto games.

Dahbomb

Vajra used to cause a ground bounce as an assist.

Now imagine that assist being used by Terry Bogard and he would clip someone with Vajra then juggle them with Soul Fists full screen away with the ground bounce.

*shivers

They do? Could've fooled me.

MGSV has better character models and visuals than most fighting games and is open world environments running at 60FPS.

Sayad

Can SFV survive Injustice in the FGC? I know injustice will destroy it in sales but what about FGC? I always wonder how the heck SFV pulls so much viewers or entrants when most casuals (who make up 90% of the playerbase) hate the game and company with a passion....Let me know FGC GAF!
Only game Injustice 2 is going to kill is, by then, already dead MKX.

Motion capture is expensive and time consuming. They are selling millions without great animations, why change now?
NRS do use motion capture(motion capture is not cheap, but it's way faster than animating by hand, and end up being cheaper for bigger projects), their animation looks worse than PS2 era Tekken animation because Namco doesn't just use raw motion capture data, they spend a lot of time tweaking the mo-cap animation by hand for better dramatic/stylish effects.

CO_Andy

They do? Could've fooled me.

MGSV has better character models and visuals than most fighting games and is open world environments running at 60FPS.
It certainly rings true pre-360/PS3 era, but c'mon, it's a basic tech concept i expect anyone who surfs GAF to understand :p

Of course there are other external factors such as time, money, skill. Kojima had all three but couldn't deliver a finished product. That's what happens when you waste too many resources on aesthetics and presentation.

https://i.gyazo.com/8cdeaf10c5403727a93ec0e10652aec2.png

Full cities with NPCs, and look at those ingame graphics...

Many games have a much cleaner cel shading look than Naruto games.
Ni No Kuni was a console exclusive (not counting the DS game). Were it not then perhaps the dev would have had to make some sacrifices as multi-platoform titles typically do.

Sayad

But... They don't!
9ovvu0I.gif

Edit: Oh, you're just backpedaling to contrary examples now, nevermind.

Maybe Xrd is the best looking cell-shaded game, but other than that, FGs are nowhere near the top graphically now.

The new Injustice 2 trailer didn't show me much, but I'm glad the game is still 2D. I'm also glad to see footage of Atrocitus and Grodd. Both are big bodies, so I'm interested.

Hopefully we'll get some proper match footage from E3, so we can see walk speeds, damage levels and actually know some more details regarding the gear.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Fighting games don't even look as good as some games from previous generation. What a different time we live in. Fighters on arcades back then were worlds ahead on consoles.

Zissou

There's always room for mechanical innovation/refinement, but I think a lot of factors outside the core gameplay have the biggest room for improvement (netcode, tutorial content and other learning resources, integration with social media, better business models which are good for the game maker AND the players alike, etc.)

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure how people put so much faith into the Riot game after Rising Thunder. That game was SF4 with easier FADCs. If that's what they came up with after 7 years of SF4...

Sayad

Not sure how people put so much faith into the Riot game after Rising Thunder. That game was SF4 with easier FADCs. If that's what they came up with after 7 years of SF4...
It's all up in the air how their next game will turn out, but if there's one thing they learned from RT, it's that SFIV for dummies isn't the answer. The thing I'm curious about the most is seeing them trying to fit LoL characters and moves into a fighting game, done right, the game should be nowhere near as bland as RT.

Shun

Holy shit this happened earlier during a JP semi finals for Gundam EXVS Maxi Boost On.

The most hype and clutch Gundam Exia Repair match ending I've seen in a while.

https://twitter.com/morikken/status/741932793962192896

His partner was near death too and morikken went clutch separating his opponents and dodging a high tracking shot with a fuwastep, then catches one melee hit and cancels into Exia Repair's super before his EX ran out.

A lot of people didn't think that at the beginning. Even a few months in I remember yipes still saying he thought Vergil was mid/high tier.

Another good seth one is: "Thor will have a lot of juice in this game."

Those Thor air grab mix-ups were truly too strong.
Japan caught on pretty fast. The difference, though, is that Seth Killian had months with the game - top Marvel players figured it out by then.

That's because everyone had an air dash in MvC3 Vanilla Beta.

That Ghost Rider change might have made him usable!

.la1n

Why does Capcom keep employing FGC members if they aren't even going to communicate with them? Seems to be an ongoing issue even today.

Kalamari

Nothing can match the fluidity of VF, Tekken movement looks pretty janky in comparison.

I have a feeling the LoL fighting game might bomb unless they throw tons of money at the competitive scene, like the Moba. So, even if it is a shit game, it will still be popular because everyone will be chasing that paper.

not sure which asian players are going (except daigo who aims to attend to every premier event) but based on twitter chatter, i think pr rog and/or jwong are planning to go to dreamhack.
I hate how Dreamhack doesn't add to the prize pool for premier events. If it wasn't a premier, they would add money, but they cheap out on premiers because Capcom gives $15k.

Good. Maybe then the genre can evolve past being stuck in the past 15 years.

guess you don't care how ass shit can get as long as it "evolves"

There's always room for mechanical innovation/refinement, but I think a lot of factors outside the core gameplay have the biggest room for improvement (netcode, tutorial content and other learning resources, integration with social media, better business models which are good for the game maker AND the players alike, etc.)

funnily enough Yatagarasu lets people tweet combos

NRS do use motion capture(motion capture is not cheap, but it's way faster than animating by hand, and end up being cheaper for bigger projects), their animation looks worse than PS2 era Tekken animation because Namco doesn't just use raw motion capture data, they spend a lot of time tweaking the mo-cap animation by hand for better dramatic/stylish effects.

It is not faster. You need to have an actor or athlete sit in a room for hours and hours doing the same move over and over till it looks good. Then they need to take that animation upload it, modify it so it actually works in game and looks better, and then manually animate the characters return to neutral animation or transition into another attack.

NRS seems to mocap their cutscenes(way easier) mostly not as much for the animations. Just look at Super Girls walk eye laser. That shit is hella not motion captured. I know for a fact they use mocap for some things, have been for awhile, but they clearly don't put the time in to make it look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom