• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuu

Banned
Kof 98 and 2002 not considered legacy games?

When 98um and 2002um came out, people gravitied to those as the definitive versions.

I think it might just be a Capcom thing about keeping old Fighters "pure".

This isn't totally accurate. While Americans prefer the newer versions of those games, in Latin America (and I believe China I'm not sure) they prefer the vanilla versions.

I do agree that "pureness" isn't the best way to view things. If a game is improved with a new version, then it is improved.

ShinMaruku

All this marvel talk, I don't know enough to judge what is minless and what is not, nor if the game is not being taken seriously, the only think I know is it is in decline which is a natural decline that perhaps 2 games ever got out of (Smash and Counter Strike) time for something else to take that spot.

Dahbomb

Counter Strike got new version with GO so that's a lot different. Plus it's supported and updated.

Melee is definitely an anomaly (exception to the rule), not just in fighting games but across all types of games in general.

Neoxon

Counter Strike got new version with GO so that's a lot different. Plus it's supported and updated.

Melee is definitely an anomaly (exception to the rule), not just in fighting games but across all types of games in general.
Honestly, it was pretty much the stars aligning that helped Melee thrive over a decade after it came out.

shaowebb

Yeah, and the craziest thing is once folks connect with it they REAAAAAALLY connect with it. Like they wont play anything else. A big problem I have with my local FGC is that you show up, you setup venues and the Smash crowd will just never play or do anything other than smash. I see overlap from NRS folks to DOA and KI, I see overlap from Poverty fans between AH3, AP, DFCI, N+ and more, I see overlap from GG to BB with the ASW folks and Capcom guys tend to play all capcom games.

Smashers...just play smash period. Its weird. Even if they show active interest in other games rather than play even casuals locally they'd rather hover and WATCH casuals of smash than ever actually play another game.

Sucks for me. The nearest scene for me outside of there is 3 hours away. Given I work swing shift I'm usually the "every 2 weeks to a month" kind of dude so hosting is rather ass for me as a startup. I could easily host monthlies which would be fun but how would I even get the initial crowd trained up and regular enough to show?

Low population backwoods FGC problems right here man.

ShinMaruku

Go had a decline and a bit of growing pains until it began to take off.

Nuu

Banned
I managed to watch this entire video that Dahbomb linked, that covers the entire history of Marvel 2. What stood out to me were two things. That Ricky Oritz managed to consistently get 2nd place even though he never played the game, even though that some people literally played the game all day. And the fact that MegamanDS was mentioned a fair bit. The latter is because he is currently in the Skullgirls community and was just in a tournament I watched yesterday.

Sucks for me. The nearest scene for me outside of there is 3 hours away. Given I work swing shift I'm usually the "every 2 weeks to a month" kind of dude so hosting is rather ass for me as a startup. I could easily host monthlies which would be fun but how would I even get the initial crowd trained up and regular enough to show?

Low population backwoods FGC problems right here man.

Just start small like rent out a room somewhere for a few hours and post the event on facebook. There will always be a few people hungry for matches. Hell, there is one guy who has managed to start a scene in my area by just randomly posting on facebook that he has a Sega Dreamcast at his workplace and invites anyone to come play, and things have gone from there. Now he is beginning to have to have Marvel 2 and Killer Instinct locals.

All this marvel talk, I don't know enough to judge what is minless and what is not, nor if the game is not being taken seriously, the only think I know is it is in decline which is a natural decline that perhaps 2 games ever got out of (Smash and Counter Strike) time for something else to take that spot.

People seem to forget that Super Turbo took a long as time to die in terms of locals. Street Fighter II could still be alive today if HD Remix didn't fuck things up so badly.

CO_Andy

The last port of ST was for the NESICA system. Capcom got some weird priorities if that's getting a port rather than SFV for arcades.

Kumubou

The issue with making a balance patch for very old games is that at some point, the only people sticking to a game are the people who want to play the game as it currently is. That and companies generally don't have a good track record when it comes to balancing old games -- is there even a single instance of a fighting game getting a long-after-release update actually making the game significantly better?

The last port of ST was for the NESICA system. Capcom got some weird priorities if that's getting a port rather than SFV for arcades.
The big issue there is that ST can actually run on those cabinets. You're not getting SF5 running on arcade cabinets using PC hardware that wasn't cutting edge a decade ago.

tumblr_mpe1r8ntFI1r2du9bo1_500.gif

Kirblar RIP in peace

ShinMaruku

People seem to forget that Super Turbo took a long as time to die in terms of locals. Street Fighter II could still be alive today if HD Remix didn't fuck things up so badly.

Not quite sure if that too could be a execption, how engaged and outgoing were the players of ST?

Kumubou

Kirblar got banned for thuggery

KOF 98UM? Project M?
Is 98UM an improvement? I'm under the impression that it replaces one set of broken characters with another and that where the game was played the most (China and Brazil) they continue to prefer 98 over 98UM (although who knows how much of that is due to availablity).

And Project M is just something else. That would be like me taking SF4, modding it to play like SF3 and calling it a balance adjustment. They effectively made a new game (that plays like an older game in the series) using the assets and engine from an older game -- it may as well be a bizarro world sequel.

Is 98UM an improvement? I'm under the impression that it replaces one set of broken characters with another and that where the game was played the most (China and Brazil) they continue to prefer 98 over 98UM (although who knows how much of that is due to availablity).

It's mostly availability, while 98UM does that it's still an improvement over the original game overall. It's not even the game's latest version too, that's 98FE (a shitload of adjustments that basically amount to Christmas for everyone not named Krauser and Lucky ending up amazing but still overall further compressed tiers).

Project M is basically Melee UM lol.

MrDaravon

Kirblar got into an argument with EvilLore and told him to EAD.

Fucking seriously? L O L

RIP Kirblar, I remember how in the (final?) SFV Beta thread you insisted that you playing on Wifi was perfectly smooth/fine and then I ran into you twice and you were literally the only laggy matches I had in like 8 hours of play that day

pizzacat

Banned
You can't say anything till a year is over. But I doubt by Feburary 2017 a top player is going to look at their bank account and say "it's time to focus attack again"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom