• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Marvel 2 is unpatchable. If you try to patch that game:

1) You will make a game that is ten times worse than the original. Like when I say it's a lightning in a bottle I do mean that... game is really only PLAYABLE because it has a bunch of unintended mechanics/bugs/glitches that allow you to combat some of other insane stuff in the game. Only reason why people can even defend against Magneto in that game (who has a 1 frame crouch light mind you) is because after advance guard you can't be instant high/lowed which is a BUG.

2) You will change the game so much that it becomes completely different. Like the changes you would have to make to that game to make it fair/balanced would be so drastic and wide reaching that you are better off just making a new game instead.

Dahbomb

Listening to Viscant talk about Marvel 2 EVO 2008-2009, things were looking hella grim for that game with the coming of SF4. Viscant said that most of the people at EVO in the year that SF4 came out were going to their first EVO and only for SF4 which meant that they didn't know about or care about Marvel 2. Marvel 2 was just another game for EVO that year when it was main stage before.

Fast forward to now and we have a similar situation with Marvel 3 and SFV. Though now instead of SFV we have a bunch of other games competing too. It's actually really hard to fill out the 8-9 EVO game line up slot without shafting a bunch of games.

I hope we have a Marvel 3 retrospective from Viscant and co when the time is right. SO much stuff to go over in its dense history, you can easily go 5 hours on it.

Line_HTX

It's what they get for not having a Top 8 full of Morrigans!

Besides, their offensive 50/50 rushdown derpiness like Zero was full of shit anyways. I'm reminded of that Max video 4 years ago talking about the Soul Fist lockdowns essentially turn what Marvel is not away from the rushdown shiet. That's too bad, the game needed to be slowed down anyway!

Numb

No need to take it all on d̶u̶l̶l̶ Skull girls just cause there will never be another Mahvel ever.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
This EVO felt weird to me. Salty suites weren't as good and probably the worse ever. No epic money matches or anything. Dead games are truly dead games. Too much focus on the main games that there wasn't many time or resources for the side ones. I mean it was still good but it definitely felt less homegrown than ever.

Sayad

This EVO felt weird to me. Salty suites weren't as good and probably the worse ever. No epic money matches or anything. Dead games are truly dead games. Too much focus on the main games that there wasn't many time or resources for the side ones. I mean it was still good but it definitely felt less homegrown than ever.
ESPN broadcast was the highlight of the events, I know top FGC streamers put a lot of effort already, but compared to a professional broadcast there's still a lot of room for improvements.

I went to the Chicago redbull battlegrounds tourney today and got top 16 playing balrog. I only lost to cool kid and some bison. Had a lot of fun at the event. I got to get used to being on stream with all the matches I went through. I can probably do better next time with more practice with match-ups.

good shit man

notworksafe

The good thing is that he proved the point for the rest of eternity and no one should be making that mistake again.
Its funny, I bitched and moaned about HDR like no other game. I also played the hell out of it at weeklies cause there wasn't anything else lol. In NM there was that, Tekken, and Marvel 2 (on american sticks ONLY) all day long.

MrDaravon

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";211172697]Speaking of bringing people here, I've been on this website for a decade and the mods still haven't freed demi yet.

Goddamn.[/QUOTE]

I'm still mad that JackFrost turned out to be DrinkyCow when they finally got rid of allowing people to have multiple accounts.

Line_HTX

ESPN broadcast was the highlight of the events, I know top FGC streamers put a lot of effort already, but compared to a professional broadcast there's still a lot of room for improvements.

The ESPN broadcast production alone, especially on replays of critical moments, was so well done far beyond any of the other streams.

Speaking of replays, I liked that the Tekken stream decided to do replays as well, showing different points of interesting trades or momentum swings. They need to do that more often in future tournaments.

Didn't mr.wizard confirm that the ESPN broadcast was produced by EVO people?

Nuu

Banned
The last evo it was at was terrible. With only money matches and Season beatings being like the only thing worth a shit prior. No one cared about Justin winning, and the cannon brothers smashed a dreamcast to send Marvel 2 off.

Like how many people participated at the last two EVOs?

Yes and no.

It was a different time back then. Games kinda got played because there wasn't much else to play (for 2D fans, for 3D fans it was almost a peak), not nearly as many options as we had now. Marvel 2 was popular at start, then kinda waned down in the middle (especially when Justin was super dominant and you had stuff like Justin vs Ricky in GFs and people walking out) then surged back up again in its later years. Similar to what happened to Melee but on a lower scale. Then it topped off with the huge money match of the century.

Marvel 3 got damn near 800 entrants at EVO this year and that MAY NOT be enough to bring it back next year... that's how much the status quo has changed since the Marvel 2 days. Even though Marvel 2 technically wasn't dead until Marvel 3, it was dealt a huge blow when SF4 came out. People talked about how Sanford won over Justin because Justin was focusing on SF4 at the time over Marvel 2... though it don't matter because the GOAT still won the final Marvel 2 EVO. By the end of Marvel 2 it definitely waned off and it was mostly about exhibitions (money matches) than majors.

Marvel 2 is a lightning in a bottle type game. It came at the right time. A Marvel 2 type game released in today's age with no patching would die off really quickly once people realized what the game was actually like. People complain about tiers, character variety and busted mechanics in today's games... that's nothing compared to Marvel 2. You don't have stuff like Justin camping above the screen with Storm spamming j.HP then chipping them with Hailstorm for minutes on end. People just had way more tolerance for that stuff back in the day mostly because that's mostly what we had... a bunch of busted games that were fun. People have low tolerance for Marvel 3 and that's the MOST BALANCED AND LEAST BUSTED VS game released yet!

Good post. I wonder how the Neo vs Clockwork manage to bet so much freaking money on the money match?

For a Marvel 2 retrospective, this is an excellent audio log as narrated by Viscant and Skisonic (just before Marvel 3 came out):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFhXA83FWgM

It's 8 years of history and it's almost 3 hours long.

The part about Justin winning Marvel 2 in 2002 in a ONE GAME GRAND FINAL SET is always a hilarious concept in retrospective. He actually lost the first game and had the bracket reset but won after the reset.

I'll watch this. Thanks.

Even with patching no one would play that marvel 2 game

Look at skull girls (gone but not forgotten 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸)

Skullgirls:

#1 Play not much like Marvel 2
#2 Is very healthy considering its size

No need to take it all on d̶u̶l̶l̶ Skull girls just cause there will never be another Mahvel ever.

People wish there would be a Marvel game as good as Skullgirls.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
arguing over two dead games

0180_9axf9.gif

Kalamari

Wait, so is there some conspiracy theory out there that the stream was shit on purpose so people would be more apt to watch EVO on ESPN2?

Sounds like a load of shit.

Dahbomb

It's what they get for not having a Top 8 full of Morrigans!

Besides, their offensive 50/50 rushdown derpiness like Zero was full of shit anyways. I'm reminded of that Max video 4 years ago talking about the Soul Fist lockdowns essentially turn what Marvel is not away from the rushdown shiet. That's too bad, the game needed to be slowed down anyway!
Morrigan play (and also Vergil) has been more harmful to the game than Zero. Zero does not deny out entire teams especially lower tiered teams. I have lost count of the times ChrisG denied an interesting team from winning a major just wanted cause that team lost to ChrisG's team at the character select. That phenomenon doesn't exist against Zero. As much as I hate Zero and think he's god damn broke... he is not as harmful to the health of the game as Morrigan is. It's not about "slowing down" the game, characters just don't have options against that. It's the polar opposite of the rushdown/mix up playstyle... if Firebrand doesn't allow you to play when you get hit then Morrigan does not allow you to play in neutral when AV is up (unless you are using a select few characters). It doesn't matter how good or smart you are... your point Felicia team isn't doing crap against Morrigan.

Vergil has a different problem where Vergil denies non Morrigan zoning teams to be very good. You can't fight an anchor Vergil team if your team doesn't have good mix ups on incoming. A point Vergil team like Clockwork also denies any solid neutral game play because he can force himself in via teleports, Spiral Swords or projectile destroying normals. It was a problem in Vanilla Marvel because of Wolverine and Phoenix being good, no one could play zoning in that game because Wolverine could Berserker Slash through everything and Phoenix couldn't be denied bars by just zoning because of better meter gain.

All of those reasons why Morrigan is "harmful" are why I love Chris G's team. It changes the game from mindless rush down and forces people to start thinking about how to beat it. And since your average Marvel Minion can't think, they just fall apart instead.

Dahbomb

All of those reasons why Morrigan is "harmful" are why I love Chris G's team. It changes the game from mindless rush down and forces people to start thinking about how to beat it. And since your average Marvel Minion can't think, they just fall apart instead.
There's not much thinking involved, your team can either deal with it or it can't.

Game hasn't been mindless rushdown for quite some time now. In fact, hardly anyone plays a team that is all in rushdown anymore.

I still laugh when someone who hasn't seen the game in a while and comments on how defensive/lame it is and it's not what they thought Marvel is about. Even in Marvel 2, lame play was a big part of it. The best teams are those that can do both and that's good.

NEO0MJ

Never liked the comparison of Skull Girls to Marvel 2. One game was fun for 10 yrs while the other wasn't even fun for 10 minutes.

0180_9axf9.gif

The problem is not that it just shuts down rushdown it seems to shut down the game period. Like Dahbomb said not many characters can get past it once it starts going.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

You know he uses vergil right

Dahbomb

For the record, KBR team also heavily punishes mindless rushdown. Between those two (KBR and Chris) it's hard times for Wolverine mains. It's why both Justin and Angelic were forced to swap out Wolverine for Vergil in top 8.

And if you aren't playing Dormammu, Morrigan shuts down other zoners too. But that doesn't matter because Vergil counters Dorm.

Sayad

Didn't mr.wizard confirm that the ESPN broadcast was produced by EVO people?
Oh, that's great, it was still far more professionally done than anything the FGC did on their own including EVO's twitch stream. Though I understand that not every event could afford such production.

If that were the case then we never wouldn't have ever gotten SF2 Hyper Fighting (to which Capcom USA was in charge of rebalancing).
He said "legacy game," though. SF2 wasn't considered one back when Hyper Fighting came out.
The problem is not that it just shuts down rushdown it seems to shut down the game period. Like Dahbomb said not many characters can get past it once it starts going.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You know he uses vergil right

Nobody is perfect. Aside from The Rock, maybe.

Tripon

Kof 98 and 2002 not considered legacy games?

When 98um and 2002um came out, people gravitied to those as the definitive versions.

I think it might just be a Capcom thing about keeping old Fighters "pure".

I-hate-u

Y'all forget how amazing Chris was pre-MorriDoom? He would eat Marn for lunch when they played (Marn was hyped in the beginning of MVC3 life). He was the greatest EC player, rivaling PR Rog, at the time.

Chris G is JWong's successor in Marvel.

Sayad

Oddly enough ChrisG has a pretty bad record against other Morrigan players (as in worse than you would think).
Considering the time other Morrigan players spent studying Chris' team, make sense that they fight him better than most other players.

For the record, KBR team also heavily punishes mindless rushdown. Between those two (KBR and Chris) it's hard times for Wolverine mains. It's why both Justin and Angelic were forced to swap out Wolverine for Vergil in top 8.

And if you aren't playing Dormammu, Morrigan shuts down other zoners too. But that doesn't matter because Vergil counters Dorm.

So what you're saying is is that Hawkeye/Vergil is the best anti-rushdown, anti-zoning combo out there.

combo2ucu85.gif

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";211210629]So what you're saying is is that Hawkeye/Vergil is the best anti-rushdown, anti-zoning combo out there.

combo2ucu85.gif
[/QUOTE]

That team wasn't able to defeat mine though :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom