• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzacat

Banned
thats why you only got 2nd to kbrad's abel
vjsfsXl.gif

Nuu

Banned
If he really did that, what is the problem.

idk what he said, so idk. hehe.

It's just that everytime I manage to pop up an old thread, I see tons of quality posters names in faded gray. I look at their post histories and the bannings are often from the dumbest shit possible.

IDK, maybe it's because I'm used to the culture at Something Awful where mod and admin privilege is far more limited. But I feel that this site has basically suffocated itself into a shit safespace for likeminded circlejerks. Hence why I pretty much left this site.

Note: There are exceptions like people in this thread.

Dahbomb

Marvel wont be on Sunday next year that's for sure. Tekken will most likely get Marvel's spot & Injustass 2 will take MKX's.
I'll be ok with this especially if Marvel is on Saturday night.

They can make both Smash on Sunday for all I care.

But are they finally gonna drop KI next year? That's the question LMAO! Pokken probably getting dropped too.

Sat night Finals are fine. They just gotta treat them with more respect and give it the proper production values. I think marvel will be fine there. Cause T7 will be taking a Sunday slot.

The Sat night finals during the Cal Poly days were sweet.

I am cool with Friday night Finals as well. Knock it out while everybody is there.

Tripon

Hell, I changed my opinion and I think Friday finals are fine now.

If you're playing in a tournament, being able to finish in one day and making sure you have your fans still at the event is a good thing.

Prestige doesn't mean shit if you have a 8am final.

MrDaravon

I have no idea what they for Evo next year; unless they get significantly, and I mean significantly bigger venue space and/or go to 4 days there's no way that they can run as many games next year. Even if you assuming very modest growth it's going to be ridiculous, and at the same time you can't imagine that SFV, Melee, Smash 4, Tekken, and Injustice 2 aren't going to be there. KOF14 is also probably a lock along with whatever ASW game unless KOF replaces that.

Even in that scenario let's say they run with those 7 games and cut Pokken, KI and Marvel; I still don't think they've got the space/time to run those 7 assuming there's any sort of growth without going to 4 days or doubling the space or something crazy. Unless they make significant changes in that regard I honestly think Marvel is done and is the first cut probably. KI probably depends on whether or not there is a Season 4, and Pokken on what kind of support/turnout it gets over the next 6 months.

Too hard to speculate games without knowing if they intend to go to 4 days or double the space etc IMO. If anything gets cut I think Marvel is the first choice though UNLESS KI doesn't get a Season 4 and that drops hard.

4 Days should be a no brainer decision at this point for EVO. Also EVO regestration needs to end a month before the event so actual proper seeding & brackets can be made for the games. Saturday should evolve into a mini EVO Sunday.

MrDaravon

4 Days should be a no brainer decision at this point for EVO. Also EVO regestration needs to end a month before the event so actual proper seeding & brackets can be made for the games. Saturday should evolve into a mini EVO Sunday.

I feel like MrWizard has specifically said in the past they didn't want to do 4 days but I can't remember what the reasoning was. Honestly I think they need to do that PLUS getting much lager venues for pools to have a shot of things running more smoothly next year.

CurlyW

EVO 2017 Schedule Idea

-Thursday & Friday @ LVCC (or any convention area): Pools down Top 8 for all games
-Saturday @ Mandalay Bay Arena: Top 8 for 6 games (Runs from 9am-1am)
-Sunday @ Mandalay Bay Arena: Top 8 for 3 games (Runs from 10am-6pm)

EVO either needs to add a day or drop games. I'd prefer the former. Running Top 8s on Friday isn't enough when they're still trying to squeeze a 2,000-man Smash 4 tournament into 20 hours of tournament time.

I feel like many people arrive early anyway to experience Vegas. Ending earlier-than-normal on Sunday does two things: (1) It gives attendees a chance to leave Vegas on Sunday night so they don't have to take Monday off of work (as they would need to do in previous years). And (2) it will let the premier game (probably SFV) to finally finish in a time slot that's better for Europe and thus finally have peak online viewership.

I feel like MrWizard has specifically said in the past they didn't want to do 4 days but I can't remember what the reasoning was. Honestly I think they need to do that PLUS getting much lager venues for pools to have a shot of things running more smoothly next year.

The reason is money.

Line_HTX

IIRC he said the main reason, and I'm paraphrasing here, was scheduling for those venues would conflict with other things going on, more or less.

MrDaravon

The reason is money.

IIRC he said the main reason, and I'm paraphrasing here, was scheduling for those venues would conflict with other things going on, more or less.

They had over twelve thousand unique entrants this year, and sold more than four times as many day passes this year as they did last year, AND they sold out Mandalay Bay.

You gotta spend money to make money. If it's a money or scheduling thing every indication from what happened this year is that spending the money needed to get that extra day of space is going to be worth it. Only way I see them pulling it off in 3 days next year without making significant game cuts is to get literally double the venue space or something along those lines, and that's not without it's own complications and also isn't ideal for viewers at home who have to make choices about what to watch which a 4th day would alleviate a bit.

Edit: FWIW I don't feel super strongly either way but I'd probably prefer it stays 3 days since I'm HOPING to actually go next year. Logistically I'm not sure in Vegas if it was would be more feasible to get a location that's significantly larger or just get the one you already have for an extra day or not though.

Just run more stuff concurrently on Friday and Saturday. From what I understood there was more space available to rent out if needed. SF also shouldn't finish at 1 or 2AM for east coast though that may be subject to whatever spot ESPN will give them. If KI has lowest entrants next year and just gets moneyhatted in lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom