• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may come off as an idiot, but is that young Grant Morrison as your avatar?

I assume this was aimed at me, and the answer is yes! Some people lose their head, and some just seem to get more and more

vertigo_zpsafd24d9d.png~original

Dahbomb

There's also a Competitive Smash thread and a Smash for 3DS thread. Though I think the competitive Smash thread is just for Melee.

Line_HTX

Smash Bros. Community thread in gaming, FGW still in community.

All of us staying free.

We are the Fighting Game Community at large though, DeKappa

I actually kind of prefer this so it's not so hectic every single week, I dunno. I find it's easier for me for some reason. I'm still laughing that Yams was a reason for the thread migration.

peter0611

Yeah, I don't understand that. There's a Smash 4 OT, a Smash Melee OT, and now literally a Smash "Community" thread that isn't in community.

There's also a Competitive Smash thread and a Smash for 3DS thread. Though I think the competitive Smash thread is just for Melee.

I don't know the rules behind making a thread here, but that never made sense to me. The competitive smash thread is not active outside of a few sparse posts when a major event is happening.

I thought you didn't care about Marvel.

Better to be hated than ignored! All the energy in the FGC is fueled by hate anyways.
I kid, I kid

miku

We are the Fighting Game Community at large though, DeKappa

I actually kind of prefer this so it's not so hectic every single week, I dunno. I find it's easier for me for some reason. I'm still laughing that Yams was a reason for the thread migration.

I want a Daigo Umehara Community Thread

Dahbomb

code geass is ass
Can't spell Geass without ass.

I had a dream:
*Marvel money hats a Marvel 4 with Capcom, new contract is signed that isn't total garbage. X-Men characters are allowed, Neoxon am cry unmanly tears.
*Capcom is allowed to port over MVC3 to current gen consoles with some changes. Mostly bug fixes, vastly improved netcode, no stage lag, hitbox viewer in-game and H&H being available offline. Some balance changes as well that fix unintended stuff. Released beginning of 2017.
*Marvel 3 extended to be played at EVO until 2018, after which Marvel 4 is released (unless Marvel 4 is released in 2018 before EVO). Only a new Marvel game can truly kill Marvel.
*Marvel 4 comes with proper single player and actual support with content/changes until the next installment in the VS series is released.
*Both Sony and Marvel drop down serious money hats for Marvel 4 in CPT, big prize pots, big exhibitions. International play skyrockets (even more so from Marvel 2 to Marvel 3), players like Infiltration get in on it. Marvel finally becomes e sports without being full e sports.
*Somewhere during this time Devil May Cry 5 releases and is godlike.
*Clockwork wins a Marvel EVO finally.

I-hate-u

Can't spell Geass without ass.

I had a dream:

*Marvel money hats a Marvel 4 with Capcom, new contract is signed that isn't total garbage. X-Men characters are allowed, Neoxon am cry unmanly tears.
*Capcom is allowed to port over MVC3 to current gen consoles with some changes. Mostly bug fixes, vastly improved netcode, no stage lag, hitbox viewer in-game and H&H being available offline. Some balance changes as well that fix unintended stuff. Released beginning of 2017.
*Marvel 3 extended to be played at EVO until 2018, after which Marvel 4 is released (unless Marvel 4 is released in 2018 before EVO). Only a new Marvel game can truly kill Marvel.
*Marvel 4 comes with proper single player and actual support with content/changes until the next installment in the VS series is released.
*Both Sony and Marvel drop down serious money hats for Marvel 4 in CPT, big prize pots, big exhibitions. International play skyrockets (even more so from Marvel 2 to Marvel 3), players like Infiltration get in on it. Marvel finally becomes e sports without being full e sports.
*Somewhere during this time Devil May Cry 5 releases and is godlike.
*Clockwork wins a Marvel EVO finally.

This all seemed plausible until I read the last sentence.
I love Clock, and I hope he breaks his 9th place curse.

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";211173306]I had a dream that DMC5 was made by Tomunobu Itagaki.[/QUOTE]
I had a dream that Itagaki made a game that was as good as NGB again.

Shackzam

I went to the Chicago redbull battlegrounds tourney today and got top 16 playing balrog. I only lost to cool kid and some bison. Had a lot of fun at the event. I got to get used to being on stream with all the matches I went through. I can probably do better next time with more practice with match-ups.

vocab

I've heard that Marvel 2 was all but dead prior Marvel 3's release. Is this true?

The last evo it was at was terrible. With only money matches and Season beatings being like the only thing worth a shit prior. No one cared about Justin winning, and the cannon brothers smashed a dreamcast to send Marvel 2 off.

vocab

Wasn't that the same year SRK joke voted Melty Blood in over Marvel and they still had a Marvel tournament anyway?

Marvel only had the tournament because Blazblue CS was still in japanese limbo, and no one really wanted to play Calamity Trigger. Melty was on the main stage that year.

Dahbomb

I've heard that Marvel 2 was all but dead prior Marvel 3's release. Is this true?
Yes and no.

It was a different time back then. Games kinda got played because there wasn't much else to play (for 2D fans, for 3D fans it was almost a peak), not nearly as many options as we had now. Marvel 2 was popular at start, then kinda waned down in the middle (especially when Justin was super dominant and you had stuff like Justin vs Ricky in GFs and people walking out) then surged back up again in its later years. Similar to what happened to Melee but on a lower scale. Then it topped off with the huge money match of the century.

Marvel 3 got damn near 800 entrants at EVO this year and that MAY NOT be enough to bring it back next year... that's how much the status quo has changed since the Marvel 2 days. Even though Marvel 2 technically wasn't dead until Marvel 3, it was dealt a huge blow when SF4 came out. People talked about how Sanford won over Justin because Justin was focusing on SF4 at the time over Marvel 2... though it don't matter because the GOAT still won the final Marvel 2 EVO. By the end of Marvel 2 it definitely waned off and it was mostly about exhibitions (money matches) than majors.

Marvel 2 is a lightning in a bottle type game. It came at the right time. A Marvel 2 type game released in today's age with no patching would die off really quickly once people realized what the game was actually like. People complain about tiers, character variety and busted mechanics in today's games... that's nothing compared to Marvel 2. You don't have stuff like Justin camping above the screen with Storm spamming j.HP then chipping them with Hailstorm for minutes on end. People just had way more tolerance for that stuff back in the day mostly because that's mostly what we had... a bunch of busted games that were fun. People have low tolerance for Marvel 3 and that's the MOST BALANCED AND LEAST BUSTED VS game released yet!

The last evo it was at was terrible. With only money matches and Season beatings being like the only thing worth a shit prior. No one cared about Justin winning, and the cannon brothers smashed a dreamcast to send Marvel 2 off.

It at least ended with a Justin vs Sanford grand finals which was a fitting end.

Dahbomb

For a Marvel 2 retrospective, this is an excellent audio log as narrated by Viscant and Skisonic (just before Marvel 3 came out):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFhXA83FWgM

It's 8 years of history and it's almost 3 hours long.

The part about Justin winning Marvel 2 in 2002 in a ONE GAME GRAND FINAL SET is always a hilarious concept in retrospective. He actually lost the first game and had the bracket reset but won after the reset.

Yes and no.

It was a different time back then. Games kinda got played because there wasn't much else to play (for 2D fans, for 3D fans it was almost a peak), not nearly as many options as we had now. Marvel 2 was popular at start, then kinda waned down in the middle (especially when Justin was super dominant and you had stuff like Justin vs Ricky in GFs and people walking out) then surged back up again in its later years. Similar to what happened to Melee but on a lower scale. Then it topped off with the huge money match of the century.

Marvel 3 got damn near 800 entrants at EVO this year and that MAY NOT be enough to bring it back next year... that's how much the status quo has changed since the Marvel 2 days. Even though Marvel 2 technically wasn't dead until Marvel 3, it was dealt a huge blow when SF4 came out. People talked about how Sanford won over Justin because Justin was focusing on SF4 at the time over Marvel 2... though it don't matter because the GOAT still won the final Marvel 2 EVO. By the end of Marvel 2 it definitely waned off and it was mostly about exhibitions (money matches) than majors.

Marvel 2 is a lightning in a bottle type game. It came at the right time. A Marvel 2 type game released in today's age with no patching would die off really quickly once people realized what the game was actually like. People complain about tiers, character variety and busted mechanics in today's games... that's nothing compared to Marvel 2. You don't have stuff like Justin camping above the screen with Storm spamming j.HP then chipping them with Hailstorm for minutes on end. People just had way more tolerance for that stuff back in the day mostly because that's mostly what we had... a bunch of busted games that were fun. People have low tolerance for Marvel 3 and that's the MOST BALANCED AND LEAST BUSTED VS game released yet!

HUFEF.png

pizzacat

Banned
Yes and no.

Even with patching no one would play that marvel 2 game

Look at skull girls (gone but not forgotten 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom