• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelish

juri preview on winnerstayson sessions in about two hours at https://www.twitch.tv/capcomfighters

CoTCCXQWAAAiHXh.jpg

Dahbomb

The FEELS in the LI Joe interview...

Man why can't America be godlike in SF??? WWWWHHHYYY??????

I wish the players would get inspired by LI Joe's performance and ramp up their play. Get that extra motivation to be up on the big stage.

I wish the players would get inspired by LI Joe's performance and ramp up their play. Get that extra motivation to be up on the big stage.

Because instead of playing, they're busy complaining.

I don't think the difference in talent is that huge, but more of the top Japanese players play together more often. A lot of that is a geographical thing, but having something like we used to have with FGTV would go a long way.

mbpm1

America is not meant to be

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";211464546]I don't think the difference in talent is that huge, but more of the top Japanese players play together more often. A lot of that is a geographical thing, but having something like we used to have with FGTV would go a long way.[/QUOTE]
But the winner of SFV is a Korean who plays and thinks mostly by himself...

Kumubou

Honestly, the issue now is that every top American player is stuck working a 9-5 while the elite Asian players are spending 10+ hours a day playing, practicing and studying matches. That's going to be a tough difference to make up.

mbpm1

Honestly, the issue now is that every top American player is stuck working a 9-5 while the elite Asian players are spending 10+ hours a day playing, practicing and studying matches. That's going to be a tough difference to make up.

Nemo isn't

Sayad

Is this the new "but, but... Arcade release" thing?

Infiltration is already the master. The stuff he practices is way above what other people need to work on. He's figuring out stuff like what the best thing to do after a throw tech is or branching options on how to respond to his opponent's response when he throws a fireball, or the most optimal pause before neutral jumping to throw off his opponent's punish timing.

Most people are still working on matchups and frame data.

It's kind of a joke how good Infiltration is.

Kumubou

Is this the new "but, but... Arcade release" thing?
It's the same stuff that's happened in every other competitive videogame. You can call it an excuse if you want, but it's just what I think -- and it would apply to players in all regions. Some of that can be mitigated if you are insane (with people working, playing, studying the game and doing nothing else with their life) but at some level you have to do it full-time. I know where I work my bosses would kill me if I tried to go to the number of CPT events that professional players go out to.

The more I watch Infiltration play, and the more I see his interviews in Korean, the more I think Infiltration was already both the talent and the brains, and Laugh was just his interpreter.

Dude has had six Evo top 3 placings since 2010, with 4 wins. If you consider the number of people entering these tournaments compared to say when Justin was winning every MVC2, that's crazy.

Atleast NA won a TI, Japan ain't got shit on us
aegis2015.gif
aegis2015.gif
aegis2015.gif
aegis2015.gif

It's actually interesting how Japan just doesn't play non-FG esports games, I wonder how good they'd perform in other things.

Atleast NA won a TI, Japan ain't got shit on us
aegis2015.gif
aegis2015.gif
aegis2015.gif
aegis2015.gif

It's actually interesting how Japan just doesn't play non-FG esports games, I wonder how good they'd perform in other things.
Don't think I've seen many Japanese in team based games. They seem to excel primarily in skill based games.

Producer

kinda got Chris T flashbacks from this post heh

Sayad

It's the same stuff that's happened in every other competitive videogame. You can call it an excuse if you want, but it's just what I think -- and it would apply to players in all regions. Some of that can be mitigated if you are insane (with people working, playing, studying the game and doing nothing else with their life) but at some level you have to do it full-time. I know where I work my bosses would kill me if I tried to go to the number of CPT events that professional players go out to.
Nah, being a pro vs having a full time job is a real thing. When used to explain why US isn't performing on the same level as international players though then it's just another lousy excuse, especially with it being much easier to get sponsored in the US than anywhere else, and you wont be able to get a sponsorship that allow you to play 10+ hours a day, unless you already made it on your own without the sponsor.

That and, aren't the players who attended the most CPT events so far Americans? Who showed up to more events than Justin Wong and K-Brad? Them 9-5 jobs doesn't seem to be holding them back much!

Pretty sure EG pays for their travel. The amount of tournament travel combined with results kbrad is getting these days would be a lot out of pocket if he weren't getting EG to pay.

There's theoritically a handful of US players that could do full time without being complete poverty status but it's still not lucrative unless you win one of Evo or capcom cup.

But why are the elite Asians able to have that luxury, and not the Americans?

Nuu

Banned

Perhaps if GGPO quality online becomes the standard we will start seeing some. Even more likely if in the future, by some miracle, we can get quality connections between U.S. and Japan.

That's the point though. He's in training mode all day. He studies what other characters can do, as well as his character, finds out what he his problems with, and runs it through training mode over and over until he solves it. It's an option but the reality is most people want to play against other people.

Unless you live in New York, the only way to play against others is online. And if your games isn't Killer Instinct or Skullgirls, chances are you won't be able to find many top tier players to play against with reliable netcode. This is why stories of "online player who has never been to a local before is in the top 8 at EVO/CB" is such a common thing in those two games, when it is unheard of in any other game. Being able to get less than 100 ping when playing between Chicago and New York can go a long way.

Infiltration has a full time job. As does Daigo. Only so much practice can make a difference.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";211468311]The more I watch Infiltration play, and the more I see his interviews in Korean, the more I think Infiltration was already both the talent and the brains, and Laugh was just his interpreter.

Dude has had six Evo top 3 placings since 2010, with 4 wins. If you consider the number of people entering these tournaments compared to say when Justin was winning every MVC2, that's crazy.[/QUOTE]

Yea I think Floe had it right last week on pro talk when he said Infiltration is the Daigo of the new generation.

mbpm1

Infiltration has a full time job. As does Daigo. Only so much practice can make a difference.

Dago has a bunch of things like book/manga deals and promotional stuff, but I don't know how they would qualify into a full time job atm.

What does infiltration do?

Sayad

Dago has a bunch of things like book/manga deals and promotional stuff, but I don't know how they would qualify into a full time job atm.

Daigo doesn't have a full time job, but according to him, he play like 4 or so hours a day, which is manageable even with a full time job.

Nuu

Banned

IIRC, Infiltration said something like he works and 8 hour shift and comes home and is in training mode most of the remaining day.

Daigo doesn't have a full time job, but according to him, he play like 4 or so hours a day, which is manageable even with a full time job.

He said he's in SFV 8 hours a day, and only manages to play 4 hours a day because of matchmaking.

Personally I think 3 hours is the absolute most the average adult can play a game, assuming they do nothing else with their freetime and are still responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom