• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perro

SFxT was worse:
On disc DLC
Cross Assault
No 2 v 2 mode on 360
Auto block gems
Gems in general
JabXTimeout
BBMegaman

Dahbomb

i dont see how anything can be worse than the way sfv launched for a fighting game
It could've been A LOT worse.

They could've launched a reality show alongside the game and that could've resulted in massive controversy that could've tarnished the scene and the game.

Game could've been broken fundamentally like how the PS4 port was at launch for USF4.

Game could've launched with no spectator mode (although they damn near did that too again).

There could've been gross character imbalances or crazy exploitable bugs that marred the competitive scene.

Some of the DLC could've been on disc and that would've caused people to lose their collective minds.

Game could've been terrible from a spectator point of view where every game ended with a timeout.

Game could've launched with unfinished menu and just plain bad UI that the developer didn't think was important enough.

I am not even pulling these things out of butt, these are things that not only have happened before but Capcom themselves have pulled.

Honestly the only fighting game that Capcom didn't botch at launch in the previous generation was SF4.

I don't get why people are so ready to pounce on SF5 for having 1.4 million.

Well...I mean, I get it, because all most of GAF does is complain about fighters without actually playing them. But I don't really get it, ya know?

I-hate-u

And while we quibble over 1.4 million sales and 5000 entrants... DOTA 2 is going to have a $20 million prize pot for TI.
Baby steps and all, but I am curious how come Capcom stayed at the 500k prize pool like last year.

Was I the only one who thought it was a given that they were going to double it to 1 million for this year's Capcom Cup? Sony not having enough faith maybe?

Dahbomb

Well...I mean, I get it, because all most of GAF does is complain about fighters without actually playing them. But I don't really get it, ya know?
Every time Capcom makes a fighter that does poorly financially that hurts prospects of future fighters.

SFV being bare bones as it is because SFxT sold only 1.8 million... which is still higher than what SFV has now. SFV performing poorly is going to have its effect in whatever Capcom puts out next in the genre.

So yeah it's a cause for concern.

Now people jumping on SFV performing poorly as sort of a "I told ya so haha game is ass" is pure schadenfreude. But that's not exclusive to SFV on GAF and exactly why Neoxon was admonished in the thread for complaining that SFV gets crapped on too much. You should visit the weekly BO thread in the OT especially when BvS was releasing... oh man what sight to behold.

Then there's the camp that is happy the game sold that bad because Capcom is being punished for producing a rushed product. Which is generally a good thing in my book because A LOT of games and companies are left unpunished for releasing subpar products. But no need to continually kick a dead horse, point has been made loud and clear at this point.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's Cross Assault man...

Congrats, this is why the game you like is dead. Stuff you think is irrelevant is relevant to a lot of people.

Well yeah most people dont play the games they buy to completion either

I have near 0 respect for people who bandwagon and don't take time to figure things out on their own, even less for people that make uneducated blanket statements.

edit: launch sfxt was a mess regardless

Baby steps and all, but I am curious how come Capcom stayed at the 500k prize pool like last year.

Was I the only one who thought it was a given that they were going to double it to 1 million for this year's Capcom Cup? Sony not having enough faith maybe?

500k is the base prize, it will actually be higher than that. Part of the money from the CPT bundle and the individual items themselves(I think) will go to the prize pot for Capcom Cup. I think last years Capcom Cup had a total pay out of 250k. It might be more like 400-500k this year.

Line_HTX

Ver. 2013 was like the final resuscitation with one big final gasp and then fell back and laid dead forever.

They should never have introduced the Gem system to begin with. There was not possible way to have that be non-gimmicky and practical in tournament play.

pizzacat

Banned

If it doesn't sale gaf can't like it, that's why some people in this forum are stanning certain things

NEO0MJ

They should never have introduced the Gem system to begin with. There was not possible way to have that be non-gimmicky and practical in tournament play.

Capcom really overestimated how much bullshit people can take from them. Same thing happened with SFV.

pixelish

poongko got mad while playing sfv and punched his stick till it's broken.

PhpwnJw.png

edit: he injured his hand too lol

ymIcO7l.png

GorillaJu

Capcom really overestimated how much bullshit people can take from them. Same thing happened with SFV.

Not really the same thing. They thought they had a really cool new system that would merge the mobile style micro-transactions with home consoles with gems. SF5 just needed more time to develop and they didn't have that.

Infinite

A lot of flawed logic in there.

Melee had to "toil for its spot" on Sunday but in the history of EVO a most games have been given Sunday simply for being the latest game in the series. In fact, Melee being given priority over the latest game is an anomaly... historically Smash 4 would've been the main event and Melee would've been the game on Saturday. I can't think of an example where an older game was given priority quite like this, MAYBE all the way back in 04-05 when TTT and Tekken 4 were both active.

The whole point about Smash 4 doesn't have enough content creators, personalities, stories etc. is lousy and unwarranted. Again, plenty of games with far less going for them externally have made the cut in the past.

Fact of the matter is that Smash 4 is competing in its own microcosm against Melee. For whatever reason Mr Wizard believes Melee will put up the better show despite the entrant numbers. There's this weird balancing act that they are trying to do where they want to give props to legacy/lineage titles (Marvel is included in this, it's the game with the most EVO titles in that line up right now) yet also promote the newer games like Pokken.

I do not know what the Smash 4 community can do to get their game on Sunday. And I think most people don't know either which is where this frustration comes from and from frustration comes speculation and the blame game.
Yeah. That article is a joke. The only reason smash 4 isn't on Sunday is because the powers that be feel it would be a bit redundant with melee also on Sunday. Anyway most people aren't complaining about it not being on Sunday they are upset with how the tournament ran

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
SFxT really felt like they just threw a bunch of half baked mechanics at SFIV, not really sure how they might affect the game in the long run, but hopefully something will stick.

.la1n

poongko got mad while playing sfv and punched his stick till it's broken.

edit: he injured his hand too lol

ymIcO7l.png

Come on man your better than that. When I reach that point in fighting games I take a nice long break because I always feel really stupid afterwards. Yesterday I played about 15 straight matches with a player on KI and could not win a single match even when using my main. It's days like that can be demoralizing. Going back to watch the replays I can see all the mistakes I was making because of frustration.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SFxT really felt like they just threw a bunch of half baked mechanics at SFIV, not really sure how they might affect the game in the long run, but hopefully something will stick.
Been saying this forever, and it really did come across when you played it.

Poorly thought out everything.

Rhapsody

Banned
SFxT had some interesting ideas and some not so great ideas for me.

Prepatch alpha counters were a bad idea. You shouldn't be doing that much damage off of 2 bars. It was like 50 percent health with some teams lol. It blew up people that thought they could get away with walk jab xN on me at least. Pandora was very meh to me. They knew people in the community had knee-jerk reactions to comeback mechanics, but they were too careful on this one. Really bad that activating into Pandora and going straight into super wasn't viable all the time because of how long some supers were.

Charging moves until they flash and then dash canceling to make your next hit a Counter Hit was cool in SFxT (especially when spending 1 bar to make it fast in pressure). Made characters like Juri so much fun. Only issue was you'd lose it if you ended up whiffing any normal/special. They fixed that in SFV with Alex V Skill which is nice.

Game got much better in 2013 patch, but I felt like it was 1 more patch away for it to get me to really really like it. It was fun post patch, but i was too late for me to invest lots of time.

NEO0MJ

Not really the same thing. They thought they had a really cool new system that would merge the mobile style micro-transactions with home consoles with gems. SF5 just needed more time to develop and they didn't have that.

True. I just meant that they thought people would accept the games in the state they were when first available. That they'll let the flaws slide.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Never understood the love for the GC controller. I think the left analog and the face buttons are the only good thing about it. From the placement of the start button, weird asymmetry with the Z button, triggers that depress weird, how far down the c-stick and d-pad are from the analog and face buttons, etc. Everything always had a cheap build quality to it too, which is probably the biggest con (especially with the triggers).

N64 controller to Wiimote are dark times for Ninty controllers. They sort of got their heads together for the nunchuck, gamepad and pro controller using more ergonomic designs and sensible button placement.

Kumubou

Bandai-Namco just said early 2017. That can be Jan. to all the way to June if they really wanted to.
I think people have been guessing March 2017 as they figure that Bamco wants it out before the end of their fiscal year, and that would give them the most time to get the game out while still doing that. Not sure how well that plays with regards to release timings, though.

Neoxon

Never understood the love for the GC controller. I think the left analog and the face buttons are the only good thing about it. From the placement of the start button, weird asymmetry with the Z button, triggers that depress weird, how far down the c-stick and d-pad are from the analog and face buttons, etc. Everything always had a cheap build quality to it too, which is probably the biggest con (especially with the triggers).

N64 controller to Wiimote are dark times for Ninty controllers. They sort of got their heads together for the nunchuck, gamepad and pro controller using more ergonomic designs and sensible button placement.
But the problem is that the Pro Controller isn't wired, hence why it's not used as often at tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom