• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skab

Hm, so my kof doesnt get here until thursday. ive never really tried learning a kof, so this will basically be my first.

so basically you guys should let me play with you!

Tripon

Well, if streamers keep accepting one bar matches like Floe right now, of course it will look bad ^^

The real test for me is with 4 or 5 bar connection.
How many 4 or 5 bar connections are there? I was watching the SDR stream and hellpockets accepted a supposed 4 bar that turned into a 1 bar when the match started.

Hyun Sai

How many 4 or 5 bar connections are there? I was watching the SDR stream and hellpockets accepted a supposed 4 bar that turned into a 1 bar when the match started.

I won't buy the game until this weekend anyway, so I have all week to see the feedback on those. Game is not out yet, nobody is online, so it's too early to judge even if I'm pessimistic cause delay based.

Tripon

https://twitter.com/JasensCustoms/status/767906576564785152

Jasen showing off his new stick prototype. Panzer Stick 3

Cqgm3l3UkAUk9kM.jpg

Line_HTX

He does but it's called the Star Dunk Volcano now and it's his Climax DM (XIV's Neomax equivalent).

What are the different classifications of moves again? There's Climax, then there's Max Climax, and there's something even beyond that like XIII's Max Cancel.

K.Sabot

Yeah, not gonna reward 3 busted netplay KoFs in a row. I may have bought every KoF since 11 on launch day (yes even 12), but I've decided not to touch it this time and focus my efforts into games that care about their netplay.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm too excited about KOF for the netcode to get me down, if I'm being honest. There's some guys in Boston who will always play KOF with me so offline is always an option.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
If there's debate that the netcode is bad this early on, that unequivocally means it's bad.

Upside is that if they're working on a PC version they have reason to fix the netcode.

....It's bad.

Are we sure a PC version is coming?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Isn't there supposed to be a day 1 patch for the netcode

The day one patch came out last night. Did nothing for the netcode.

Well, if streamers keep accepting one bar matches like Floe right now, of course it will look bad ^^

The real test for me is with 4 or 5 bar connection.

Connection bars are meaningless in this game-- you'll play someone with 1 bar and feel like you're sitting next to them, then play a 5 bar and feel like you're playing underwater.

BadWolf

More than anything the day 1 patch seems to be a very significant balance update with jump/run speed increases for characters across the board and numerous character buffs, nerfs and fixes overall. They have taken into account tournament performance and what people unearthed in the demo.

BadWolf

An actual netplay patch will probably come post launch, they said they need to see how it performs when it's fully released to make changes.

XIII also had issues with displaying proper bars at first and was fixed via patch.

If people are having smooth matches then solid netcode is in there, they just have to make it more consistent.

*fingers crossed*

plus SNK cited Steam sales of XIII as encouragement to continue the series.

No official confirmation yet, but a lot of folks think it's a safe bet

Yup, and they have referred to it as a 2016 PS exclusive since it was revealed at TGS.

Still hoping for cross play.

mbpm1

More than anything the day 1 patch seems to be a very significant balance update with jump/run speed increases for characters across the board and numerous character buffs, nerfs and fixes overall. They have taken into account tournament performance and what people unearthed in the demo.

So it is faster then

Line_HTX

An actual netplay patch will probably come post launch, they said they need to see how it performs when it's fully released to make changes.

XIII also had issues with displaying proper bars at first and was fixed via patch.

If people are having smooth matches then solid netcode is in there, they just have to make it more consistent.

*fingers crossed*

Yeah, it's only THE FIRST DAY and people are calling this a complete disaster as if SFV was any better. If indeed that's what SNK said, then that means they'll do what's necessary to make the netcode better.

Tripon

Yeah, it's only THE FIRST DAY and people are calling this a complete disaster as if SFV was any better. If indeed that's what SNK said, then that means they'll do what's necessary to make the netcode better.
I've been saying the netcode for SFV has been bad for a while.

Skilletor

The vast majority of my matches in SF5 have been supremely playable. Very, very few have tons of rollback. But I dunno...maybe I'm lucky.

Input delay netcode in 2016 is already two strikes. I don't know why we're giving SNK the benefit of the doubt when exactly zero of their games have had solid netcode.

So yeah, SF5, for me was and continues to be playable.

Why shouldn't we expect shit to work THE FIRST DAY when the userbase has the potential to be the largest? Like fixing the game later is going to matter at all when relatively few people are going to buy KoF in the first place, and even fewer will care that these things get sorted out later (which, honestly, I doubt will happen).

Also, why, in these conversations, do people act like only SF5 exists. Whenever anything bad happens, every hops on shitting on SF5 when there are a fuckton of other fighters doing things right out there.

I know you have. I'm saying it's not an exclusive thing and other games seem to get a harsher reaction than SFV.

1. Less people are going to play other games (unless you're MK or Smash), so it's even more important to have your best foot forward.
2. Harsher reaction? Have you not been around for the past 6 months with a weekly thread lamenting whatever current complaint people have about SF5? lol.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like we had this exact same discussion before, but their last KoF release was XIII on Steam and that had a new good netcode. They must've learned something from that atleast.

You have to realize that these issues is typically manifest themselves as one-sided. If you don't experience any, that doesn't ensure your opponent isn't witnessing teleporting and rollbacks.

Skilletor

You have to realize that these issues is typically manifest themselves as one-sided. If you don't experience any, that doesn't ensure your opponent isn't witnessing teleporting and rollbacks.

Could be. I stopped playing ranked once I hit gold and only do battle lounges with gaffers and friends.

But who cares? I play pretty much every fighting game. I don't need to compare a game to SF5 for just because everybody else wants to. :p

Why not compare it to MKX? Skullgirls? TTT2? SC5? VF5? ASW games?

I feel like we had this exact same discussion before, but their last KoF release was XIII on Steam and that had a new good netcode. They must've learned something from that atleast.

I think KoF13 has barely passable netcode that, combined with the execution requirements of the game, made it unplayabe except in the absolute best of connections.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think KoF13 has barely passable netcode that, combined with the execution requirements of the game, made it unplayabe except in the absolute best of connections.
I'm talking specifically about the Steam version of the game which had much better netcode. I really can't say I had a difficult time doing my combos online. The biggest problem was actually the tiny community and how long matchmaking took.

vocab

I'm talking specifically about the Steam version of the game which had much better netcode. I really can't say I had a difficult time doing my combos online. The biggest problem was actually the tiny community and how long matchmaking took.

Ya, it has slightly better net code, but like it was said previously, the games too fast and difficult for its own good that no amount of improvement is saving it. I have seen people hit 1 frame links pretty consistently, and corner loops online, but I drop easy shit because the delay is too obvious in a fast game like this for me.

Skilletor

I was, too. :) Console KoF13 isn't worth talking about.

But people have different tolerance for these kinds of things, especially in a game like KoF13. Online is a lot of YMMV.

I've seen people claim to have 1000s of games in T6 and SC4, which, imo, have netcode just as bad as KoF12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom