• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
smash.gg is another popular site to use for tournaments and brackets. I hate navigating it, but it seems to work well.

CurlyW

smash.gg is another popular site to use for tournaments and brackets. I hate navigating it, but it seems to work well.

The best and most important feature of smash.gg is that they can host the online tournament registration for you, whether you're running a big major or a small local. This alone makes them extremely worthwhile. However, there are some drawbacks to smash.gg, depending on your needs:

• You can't set up the tournament registration page yourself, you have to fill out their form and they'll set it up for you.
  • You can really only use their brackets if you host registration on their site. The main purpose is to connect the registration database directly to the brackets, but without A you can't use B. You can't just navigate to the site an make a new bracket like you can with Challonge.
  • Their bracket creation system lets you make extremely customizable brackets, which is nice, particularly for Smash tournaments that often have more off-beat formats. However, as a result their system can be obtuse to use, especially if you're only used to Challonge. In order to mitigate this, smash.gg has a detailed "how-to" site for tournament organizers, and they recently hired several "partner support" admins, so I believe they should be reasonably responsive when contacted about issues.
  • They're only now starting to make their online brackets printable. Not that Challonge's printable brackets are great either, but smash.gg's are more of a work-in-progress I feel.
  • No public API just yet. (I'm fortunate to have a direct line to their developers when I need to import brackets.)
  • It's not something that I've ever needed to do for them, but I'm pretty sure smash.gg doesn't have Swiss style functionality anyway.
Those are the main things. I could go on about some more quirks of smash.gg, but it'd be pretty inside baseball. There are certainly plenty of reasons to prefer smash.gg over Challonge, too. For instance, I much prefer smash.gg's result-entering method that lets you input scores with clicks, rather than typing.

It is also worth mentioning that unlike Challonge, which I'm pretty sure is a side project for its creators, smash.gg is a start-up currently on their second round of VC funding.

The best and most important feature of smash.gg is that they can host the online tournament registration for you, whether you're running a big major or a small local. This alone makes them extremely worthwhile. However, there are some drawbacks to smash.gg, depending on your needs:

- You can't set up the tournament registration page yourself, you have to fill out their form and they'll set it up for you.
- You can really only use their brackets if you host registration on their site. The main purpose is to connect the registration database directly to the brackets, but without A you can't use B. You can't just navigate to the site an make a new bracket like you can with Challonge.
- Their bracket creation system lets you make extremely customizable brackets, which is nice, particularly for Smash tournaments that often have more off-beat formats. However, as a result their system can be obtuse to use, especially if you're only used to Challonge. In order to mitigate this, smash.gg has a detailed "how-to" site for tournament organizers, and they recently hired several "partner support" admins, so I believe they should be reasonably responsive when contacted about issues.
-They're only now starting to make their online brackets printable. Not that Challonge's printable brackets are great either, but smash.gg's are more of a work-in-progress I feel.
-No public API just yet. (I'm fortunate to have a direct line to their developers when I need to import brackets.)
-It's not something that I've ever needed to do for them, but I'm pretty sure smash.gg doesn't have Swiss style functionality anyway.

Those are the main things. I could go on about some more quirks of smash.gg, but it'd be pretty inside baseball. There are certainly plenty of reasons to prefer smash.gg over Challonge, too. For instance, I much prefer smash.gg's result-entering method that lets you input scores with clicks, rather than typing.

It is also worth mentioning that unlike Challonge, which I'm pretty sure is a side project for its creators, smash.gg is a start-up currently on their second round of VC funding.
Thanks for the writeup. I'd looked at smash.gg but a lot of the stuff you mentioned sound like dealbreakers for me, at least until they get more functionality implemented. Guess I'll just have to bear with or find workarounds for Challonge's issues for now. Or bug the smash.gg devs about my extremely specific needs, haha.

That being said Challonge really is fantastic for what it is. The other two options I've looked at (Battlefy and burningmeter) aren't even closer in terms of functionality or usability.

Tripon

• You can't set up the tournament registration page yourself, you have to fill out their form and they'll set it up for you.
  • You can really only use their brackets if you host registration on their site. The main purpose is to connect the registration database directly to the brackets, but without A you can't use B. You can't just navigate to the site an make a new bracket like you can with Challonge.
  • Their bracket creation system lets you make extremely customizable brackets, which is nice, particularly for Smash tournaments that often have more off-beat formats. However, as a result their system can be obtuse to use, especially if you're only used to Challonge. In order to mitigate this, smash.gg has a detailed "how-to" site for tournament organizers, and they recently hired several "partner support" admins, so I believe they should be reasonably responsive when contacted about issues.
  • They're only now starting to make their online brackets printable. Not that Challonge's printable brackets are great either, but smash.gg's are more of a work-in-progress I feel.
  • No public API just yet. (I'm fortunate to have a direct line to their developers when I need to import brackets.)
  • It's not something that I've ever needed to do for them, but I'm pretty sure smash.gg doesn't have Swiss style functionality anyway.

Challonge sold themselves to xsplit a month or so ago.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
embden-geese.jpg

LET'S GOOOOO

Sayad

I was just thinking how you could make a school dance analogy comparing SFV and KoF XIV.

SFV is the most popular girl in school. Head cheerleader. Valedictorian. Perfect 10 body. Buuuuut, she's a total bitch. She goes to the dance with you, is even up for sex later but she's very demanding. Has you pay for EVERY little thing. Doesn't even treat you that well. After a while you wonder if it was all worth it JUST to have the most popular girl.

KoF XIV is the shy, nerdy girl next door. Not even close to a 10, but cute in her own down-to-earth kind of way. Much nicer and sweeter in person. She's a really clumsy and terrible dancer, and you'll have to deal with hecklers, but you have a great time and a lot of fun being with her.

Of course I'm not saying you HAVE to choose ONE, I just think it makes for a fun comparison. Just got the email from Best Buy that my Premium Edition is going to be ready tomorrow, but it'll be a lot longer before I can play it as I have no PS4 :( I just really wanted those great bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom