• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayad

I really don't remember it that way
EVO2015 results:

I mean...
SFV Top 16 was actually pretty good in term of variety, it's the three Nashes in top 8 that ruined it:
1. RZR|INFILTRATION (Nash)
2. RZR|Fuudo (R. Mika)
3. yukadon (Nash)
4. HM|GO1-3151 (Chun-Li)
5. LI Joe (Nash)
5. MOV (Chun-Li)
7. HM|Eita (Ken)
7. AW|Nemo (Vega)

9. Kenneth Pope (Necalli)
9. GGP|Kazunoko (Cammy)
9. GamerBee (Necalli)
9. RZR|Xian (F.A.N.G)
13. Tokido (Ryu)
13. ESR|Wugo Oil King (Rashid)
13. EG|JWong (Karin)
13. YP|Filipinoman (Chun-Li)
You could say, more than half the cast made it to top 16, that's better than SFIV's actually. :3

Dahbomb

People were more scared of the potential of Elena mirrors rather than there actually being Elena mirrors.

There were more Evil Ryus in USF4. In the end even Momochi had to character swap to get that win.

I think what most people believed was that if USF4 was continued to be played then more Elenas/Evil Ryu would take over. USF4 was taken out of the circuit before it fully matured.

It's too bad we never had an Edition Select big tournament for USF4.

Dahbomb

Stream monsters also thought Dr Doom TAC combos were swag and hype.

Once you see the same combos a thousand times then they cease to be hype. We just weren't used to two years of Evil Ryu combos yet.

That said it's a bit unfair to be comparing SFV to USF4. Probably better to compare Vanilla SF4 to Vanilla SFV. Those non cross up cross ups pale in comparison to some of the non sense in Vanilla SF4.

Sayad

That said it's a bit unfair to be comparing SFV to USF4. Probably better to compare Vanilla SF4 to Vanilla SFV. Those non cross up cross ups pale in comparison to some of the non sense in Vanilla SF4.
Don't think there's a version of SFIV without 50/50 cross-up setups actually.

Sayad

So if you wanted to compare current tournament sfv to sf3 would you say, ken=ken, chun=chun, nacali=yun, mika=makoto?
SFV Chun is clearly the best, but in a tier list based on match ups, she'd be lower than 3s Ken, not to mention 3s Chun and Yun. Also welcome back. :D

We also saw some SFV top 8s without any Chun, Ken or Necali, that would never happen to 3s trio.

Hyun Sai

I'm all for character diversity, nice to see a high level Fang in those tournaments. We got already Chris G and Du covering for Guile.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, that's a bummer. Stunfest always sounded amazing for attendees. Not so much for those watching its streams, though.

MechaX

I made the mistake of watching an LTG rage montage this weekend (and say a vid where a 14yr old Bison got a win, and his subsequent salty response), because I never really paid attention to him except for the Viscant stuff.

... My goodness, it's like a salt deposit gained sentience. The guy is trying really hard to make DSP look like Maximilian in demeanor.

Tripon

Wonder if that means that Capcom will push Red Bull Kumite to be a premier next year. There is nothing in the rules that state that invitionals are banned from CPT rules.

Capcom Pro Tour Asian Finals were round robin invitationals for two years before the current change in formats.

The current regional finals are invitationals tied to ranking event winners.

Wonder if that means that Capcom will push Red Bull Kumite to be a premier next year. There is nothing in the rules that state that invitionals are banned from CPT rules.

Capcom Pro Tour Asian Finals were round robin invitationals for two years before the current change in formats.

The current regional finals are invitationals tied to ranking event winners.

How would they hand out points though? Or maybe they just don't hand out points, but the winner qualifies for Capcom Cup.

Yes, let's all go back to SF4...oh wait:
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015...ps-gaku_0_8s-ultra-street-fighter-4-tutorial/

Geez, modern day Capcom doesn't know what they're doing with hitboxes.
Let's go play some old school SF, instead. Oh wait:
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016...ust-be-glad-you-dont-play-t-hawk-super-turbo/

Screw Capcom, I'll just play games from another company that understands how to properly handle hitboxes...err, hold on:
https://twitter.com/gakudesuyo/status/781170748186435584
https://twitter.com/benbender339/status/782585765029031936

Hmm...I guess hitboxes doing weird sh•t is common in this genre.

Welp...I hear FPS are really popular...
I'm sure nothing weird ever happens in those...

Dahbomb

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015...ps-gaku_0_8s-ultra-street-fighter-4-tutorial/

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016...ust-be-glad-you-dont-play-t-hawk-super-turbo/

Screw Capcom, I'll just play games from another company that understands how to properly handle hitboxes...err, hold on:

This is why people should be playing Tekken, no cross ups to worry about.

True honest working man's fighter.

Line_HTX

I made the mistake of watching an LTG rage montage this weekend (and say a vid where a 14yr old Bison got a win, and his subsequent salty response), because I never really paid attention to him except for the Viscant stuff.

... My goodness, it's like a salt deposit gained sentience. The guy is trying really hard to make DSP look like Maximilian in demeanor.

Your mistake was giving him any further attention.

Wow, that's a bummer. Stunfest always sounded amazing for attendees. Not so much for those watching its streams, though.

It's an amazing event but it was very hard for the volunteers that made it work. It grew so big so fast (from 100 to 10k entrants in 10 years) that each year the preparations were never enough. It's also our EVO with its own flavor, I'm really sad it won't happen this year. :(

The SF4 example is off a setup and not a random jump in like this. In SF4 you at least had defensive mechanics to deal with it instead of just hold that shit gg. In SFV it makes a much bigger deal to get hit by a random jump in that crosses up but stays in front (?) because of how fast a match can snowball out of your favor into a damn near instant L since there's insane damage output for some characters and barely any defensive mechanics outside of prayer V-Reversals (more characters should have faster V-reversals like Chun/Ken's tbh).

In regards to ST, it's one of the most busted games out there but people love it anyways lol.

How much is Capcom paying you to deflect any negative comments towards 5 and then to throw them at other games so that 5 doesn't look like it's in the condition that it's currently in? Your defense for this is to give shit to other games instead of looking at the problem with 5 lol

mbpm1

The SF4 example is off a setup and not a random jump in like this. In SF4 you at least had defensive mechanics to deal with it instead of just hold that shit gg. In SFV it makes a much bigger deal to get hit by a random jump in that crosses up but stays in front (?) because of how fast a match can snowball out of your favor into a damn near instant L since there's insane damage output for some characters and barely any defensive mechanics outside of prayer V-Reversals (more characters should have faster V-reversals like Chun/Ken's tbh).

I feel like you've said this three times but made no impact every time lol

I feel like you've said this three times but made no impact every time lol

I know lol, I bring footage of tom foolery, I get the response "oh but sf4 had this, st had this, this random call of duty game had this and zelda had this!" I respond and then there's no response until the next video of tom foolery then I get the response of "oh but sf4 had this" etc

Dahbomb

It's no secret that SFV has a very lop sided jump vs anti air game especially in terms of risk vs reward.

Just load up SF4 then try to anti air with Balrog's cr.HP and try to do the same in SFV... that's a massive difference. Charge characters need great normals like that yet they forgot that in SFV (except for Chun I guess).

When people are landing jumps more often it means that you are put in more 50/50 situations. That means more guessing which is always in favor of the aggressor. They guess right, you are probably in another bad situation against certain characters. Two wrong guesses can see you close to stun. And blocking isn't good enough either with white damage build up. It's no wonder that what people consider to be the top 5 characters in the game have good V reversals, light AA, 3 framer and/or invincible reversal.. that's the entirety of the defensive options available in the game.

I also think dash up grab is way too good in the game especially for someone like Nash. Always god damn free to it.

Most of these are very easy fixes though so I am not too concerned. But we do need to call out the issues as we see them so they can be fixed. Pretending everything is fine helps no one.

ShinMaruku

Juri made top 16, she's coming for your jimmies
tumblr_o9nqv7TtNN1qj5jqso1_500.gif

It's no secret that SFV has a very lop sided jump vs anti air game especially in terms of risk vs reward.

Just load up SF4 then try to anti air with Balrog's cr.HP and try to do the same in SFV... that's a massive difference. Charge characters need great normals like that yet they forgot that in SFV (except for Chun I guess).

When people are landing jumps more often it means that you are put in more 50/50 situations. That means more guessing which is always in favor of the aggressor. They guess right, you are probably in another bad situation against certain characters. Two wrong guesses can see you close to stun. And blocking isn't good enough either with white damage build up. It's no wonder that what people consider to be the top 5 characters in the game have good V reversals, light AA, 3 framer and/or invincible reversal.. that's the entirety of the defensive options available in the game.

I also think dash up grab is way too good in the game especially for someone like Nash. Always god damn free to it.

Most of these are very easy fixes though so I am not too concerned. But we do need to call out the issues as we see them so they can be fixed. Pretending everything is fine helps no one.

I just don't understand their beef with making slower AA's solid. Rog's cr.FP used to stuff out the sun and now it barely stands a chance against some jump ins. Meanwhile a st.LP has the hitbox of Rog's SF4 cr.HP while being much faster and leads to mixups.

I just don't understand their beef with making slower AA's solid. Rog's cr.FP used to stuff out the sun and now it barely stands a chance against some jump ins. Meanwhile a st.LP has the hitbox of Rog's SF4 cr.HP while being much faster and leads to mixups.

gotta let those guys that jump in all day feel good about themselves. can't have them getting mad and stop playing when they get anti aired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom