• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VariantX

Have Street Fighter games ever been technically impressive though?

Just SF3 as far as I know. That's the only time I saw a Street Fighter game blowing the competition out of the water. In terms of capcom fighting games in general, X-Men CotA and Darkstalkers.

Tripon

Pretty sure people were blown away with SFII back in the day.

Also, original Street Fighter. A game that focused on big sprites and detailed backgrounds stood out from the rest.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Just SF3 as far as I know. That's the only time I saw a Street Fighter game blowing the competition out of the water. In terms of capcom fighting games in general, X-Men CotA and Darkstalkers.

SF2 was one of the best looking games, character models and backgrounds were impressive at the time. SF3 is still has the best sprite animation to this day.
stylistically, sure, but these games were not powerhouses in 1991 or 1996 respectively. there were far more technically demanding games on PC and in the arcade during these times when 3D technology was in its awkward teenage years.

Sayad

stylistically, sure, but these games were not powerhouses in 1991 or 1996 respectively. there were far more technically demanding games on PC and in the arcade during these times when 3D technology was in its awkward teenage years.
In 1991, I actually can't think of a better looking game than SF2, especially on PC, PC games at the time were still having trouble with side scrolling screens! And by that metric, only two fighters were truly at the top around their release, VF3 on arcade and SC on Dreamcast.

oneida

In 1991, I actually can't think of a better looking game than SF2, especially on PC, PC games at the time were still having trouble with side scrolling screens! And by that metric, only two fighters were truly at the top around their release, VF3 on arcade and SC on Dreamcast.
Look at the specs of the Model 1 compared to the CPS1
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System#Technical_specifications
http://segaretro.org/Sega_Model_1#Technical_Specifications
this is just the first thing that comes to mind, i highly doubt that the CPS1 was the most technically demanding hardware in 1991. and the CPS3 was very good at one thing but in terms of processing power was nowhere near the throne in 1996

anyway, I'm actually defending SFV here. it's not trying to be technically impressive

notworksafe

do you think they should've run TV ads instead of sponsored tournaments? it was anything but a halo 3 marketing campaign but i can't imagine the budget was very big.

as someone who pays attention to fighting game news, even for games i don't play, i didn't know about these events. at least some targeted advertising might have helped there.

as much as i appreciate their help with our NM charity tournament, i was surprised when sega sent us as much stuff as they did. i figured that a lot of the stuff they sent us could have been used in much bigger events. it's almost like no one had ever asked them for swag before lol.

oneida

as someone who pays attention to fighting game news, even for games i don't play, i didn't know about these events. at least some targeted advertising might have helped there.

as much as i appreciate their help with our NM charity tournament, i was surprised when sega sent us as much stuff as they did. i figured that a lot of the stuff they sent us could have been used in much bigger events. it's almost like no one had ever asked them for swag before lol.
we got them to donate 2 hori sticks for prizes at toryuken last year and i think 16 3DS game codes for Canada Cup, but that was 3 years after the game's launch so it doesn't really count for much here. i think you'll find coverage of the 3 sega cups in the usual places, SRK EH etc, trailers on YouTube and stuff. dunno if it ever hit the big names like kotaku or w/e, that would be better. I'm sure the game's release got coverage there, and there was the launch party event, fwiw

Tripon

All the tournaments for this week for Capcom Cup spots.

Capcom Cup 32 spots:

Won Premier Tournament: (7 players)

Infiltration (Final Round, NCR, EVO) (1668 global points)
Tokido (CEO, SEAM) (1048 global points)
Gamerbee (Japan Cup, EGX) (732 global points)
Xiao Hai (G League, SCR) (676 global points)
Daigo Umehara (EU CPT Regional Finals) (555 global points)
Momochi (Stunfest) (524 global points)
Phenom (Dreamhack Summer) (482 global points)

With Infiltration, Tokido, Xiao Hai and Gamerbee winning multiple premier tournaments, it opens up 5 more spots to the Global Rankings from the original 8.

Qualification via Global Spot: (13 at the moment)

Justin Wong (984 global points)
Fuudo (804 global points)
Nuckledu (613 global points)
MOV (600 global points)
Julio Fuentes (548 global points)
Xian (518 global points)
Haitani (492 global points)
Eita (482 global points)
Luffy (455 global points)
Mago (426 global points)
Go1 (414 global points)
FChamp (398 global points)
CCL (397 global points )

Outside looking in on global points:
Chris T (384 global points)
Mister Crimson (361 global points)
Kazunoko (349 global points)
Yukadon (346 global points)
KBrad (328 points)

Minimal change to the global rankings. With MOV winning the Asian Online Ranking Event II, he gains another 128 points and moves up the global boards and further securing is place in Capcom Cup. Chris T didn't attend any event this weekend, so he is still on the outside looking in, and needs to get at least 14 points to past CCL. Chris T can also hope if somebody above him wins Canada Cup or one of the last regional finals, or a person who already has won a global spot wins Canada Cup or regional finals as well. If that happens, it opens another global spot for Chris T.

The following players can move up the global rankings as well and affect regional boards if they place well at Canada Cup.

Mister Crimson, Kazunoko, and Yukadon need to get 3rd at Canada Cup to get the last global spot.
Mister Crimson: (361 + 64 = 425 global points)
Kazunoko: (349 + 64 = 413 global points)
Yukadon: (346 + 64 = 410 global points)

Kbrad: needs to get at least 2nd at Canada Cup to get last global spot. (328 + 128 = 456 global points)

Participates qualify via global spots before Regional ranking spots:

Qualification via regions: (8 spots)

Asia: Kazunoko (247 Asia points), Sako (137 Asia points)

Outside looking in: Tse4444 (132 Asia points), Yukadon (90 Asia points)

Sako is in. Not officially in. But he's pretty much in. The only scenario where he's not in is if AceKingoffsuit senario happens at Canada Cup of a random sorting of Top 5 of Random/K-Brad/Chris T/FChamp/Go1 can knock Mago off of Global boards and back into regional rankings. Very Unlikely to happen, but if it does, that means Mago gets 1st place in regional rankings, Kazunoko gets 2nd, and Sako gets 3rd.

Both Tse4444, Yukadon (and Bonchan) are all unlucky losers, with all of them traveling to FV Cup and just couldn't stop Sako from winning FV Cup. Tse4444 can still make it in if Kazunoko or Sako wins Canada Cup's premier spot, which would bump everyone up one spot.

Europe: Mister Crimson (321 Europe points), Problem X (218 Europe Points)

No change here. Europe is done with ranking events, and Chris T needs at least 14 points to jump CCL. Chris T would need a 5th place finish at Canada Cup, and CCL is not going to Canada Cup.

Latin America: Brolynho (305 LA points), Misterio (203 LA points)

Outside looking in: KBrad (196 LA points)

Misterio was able to get the 2 points he needed at TRETA to pass KBrad. He gets the 2nd spot, and KBrad needs to win the CPT LA Finals in order to qualify for Capcom Cup.

However, the TO of Treta says that Misterio has visa problems and may not be able to travel to Capcom Cup. If that is true, then KBrad gets the 2nd LA spot.

North America: Ricky Ortiz (247 NA points), XsK_Samurai (202 NA points).

Outside looking in: Chris T (190 NA points), John Takeuchi (144 NA points)

XsK_Samurai getting 2nd at The Fall Classic gives him enough points over Chris T and John Takeuchi, securing the second NA spot.

-----
That's 28 spots, which leave 4 left to be grabbed.

Spots that still need to be determined:

Premier tournaments:

Canada Cup (Oct. 28th to Oct. 30th)

Regional Finals:

Capcom Pro Tour NA Regional Finals: Red Bull Battle Grounds at Seattle, Wash. (Nov. 04th-Nov. 06th)
Capcom Pro Tour Asia Regional Finals at Busan, South Korea (Nov. 17th-Nov. 19th)
Capcom Pro Tour LA Regional Finals, Sao Paulo, Brazil (Oct. 30th, Nov. 2nd)

Sayad

Infiltration: Nash
Tokido: Ryu
Gamerbee: Necali
Xiao Hai: Cammy
Daigo Umehara: Ryu
Momochi: Ken
Phenom: Necali

Justin Wong: Karin
Fuudo: Mika
Nuckledu: Mika, Nash, Guile
MOV: Chun Li
Julio Fuentes: Ken
Xian: FANG
Haitani: Necali
Eita: Ken
Luffy: Mika
Mago: Karin
Go1: Chun Li
FChamp: Dahlsim
CCL: Chun Li

Qualification via regions: (8 spots)

Asia:
Kazunoko: Cammy
Sako: Chun Li

Europe:
Mister Crimson: Dahlsim, Lura
Problem X: Alex

Latin America:
Brolynho: Necali
Misterio: Karin

North America:
Ricky Ortiz: Chun Li
XsK_Samurai: Ryu
Fixed: That's 3 Kens, 5 Chuns and 4 Necalis. Chris T will probably make it, so 4 Kens.

Are the multiple characters that big of a deal? There are 32 spots. Even if the players were selected like Street Fighter Noah's ark, you would end up with doubles.

Other games can handle mirror matches just fine. I think people counting characters is indicative of a bigger problem with the game, in terms of spectator appeal.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It could be better, but it's actually not that bad compared to most fighting games. And this one hasn't had a single balance patch yet. We were a little spoiled with the character variety in USF4.

It could be better, but it's actually not that bad compared to most fighting games. And this one hasn't had a single balance patch yet. We were a little spoiled with the character variety in USF4.

what character variety? I thought usf4 was elena mirror matches all day

NEO0MJ

Are the multiple characters that big of a deal? There are 32 spots. Even if the players were selected like Street Fighter Noah's ark, you would end up with doubles.

For new game with 22 characters to end up with 3 characters dominating half the entrants of CC is pretty disappointing, especially when some characters have reps.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
haha yeah
I really don't remember it that way
EVO2015 results:
1. EG|Momochi (Ken, Evil Ryu, Elena)
2. AVM|GamerBee (Elena, Adon)
3. INFILTRATION (Evil Ryu, Chun-Li, Abel, Juri)
4. BE|NEMO (Rolento)
5. r/Kappa|aiai (Juri)
5. MCZ|TOKIDO (Akuma)
7. EG|PR Balrog (Balrog)
7. Liquid|NuckleDu (Guile, Decapre)

9. Zv|Kazunoko (Yun)
9. YBK|SANTAROU (Sagat)
9. MCZ|Daigo Umehara (Evil Ryu)
9. Filipinoman (Rose, Poison)
13. QANBA.DOUYU|Xiao Hai (Cammy)
13. Kindevu (Elena)
13. Snake Eyez (Zangief)