• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is one of those 16 commentators at the Redbull event Seth Killian?
Zh6BEYt.jpg

pizzacat

Banned
re: the "i don't want this" conflict, i saw Bleed For This at the CIFF and thought the inversion of that conflict was the best part of the movie
it's like if peter parker really wanted to be spiderman but no one else wanted it and it made everyone really uncomfortable
I saw a trailer for that, seems real hard to watch with how that guy is setup sometimes

CO_Andy

Yeah. I had a good long chat with him today. He's super fun to talk to.
It's been so many years since i heard SKill commentate, but i still regard him as the best Street Fighter commentator. Gonna be good, unless they lock him behind some paywall again.

Dahbomb

Someone wrote a love letter to Dahbomb on gaming side. :D
I feel sorry for people like this who have been molded by pre-order culture.

Also:

Personally, I say "Don't pre-order games if you feel you need a specific aspect to be represented before you play. Pre-order if you feel confident in the teams or excited about the notion and feel your money is well spent on day one or day 31."

Ain't no one got time to say that.

NEO0MJ

Man writing this much about games and not getting paid in full

Holy shit

This one of the things companies love about geek culture. So many of them are fucking zealots who will stand by any decision a company makes, no matter how unfavorable it is to consumers.

Dahbomb

I'm having a hard time trying to decipher the mental gymnastics involved over the thought that pre-ordering is somehow screwing over the customer.
You work at Best Buy/Gamestop?

The problem is much bigger than "pre-orders screw over customers." Pre-order themselves are harmless but game companies develop games based around the pre-order putting in and taking away features based around it. Probably a bigger issue is the whole Season Pass non sense but all of this falls under a single umbrella stemming from the same issue. Rabid fanboys who have no self control feed into the greed machine of the corporations and it indirectly affects others who have more self control and can make rational decisions.

Ie. Bad game gets a ton of pre-orders because rabid fanboys don't know any better. Companies continue to make bad games because they get the pre-orders and keep providing more incentives to pre-order and it just continues the vicious cycle.

notworksafe

I'm having a hard time trying to decipher the mental gymnastics involved over the thought that pre-ordering is somehow screwing over the customer.

it assumes the customer is fully and completely retarded and incapable of making an independent decision. That is surely the case for some folks but not the majority.

pizzacat

Banned
Like this preorder or don't shit goes down to if you want to spend your money or not

I'm an adult I'll spend money on whatever dumb shit I want

Microtransactions are kinda nasty sometimes but i ignore it.

Some people will never understand you can ignore a majority of the things devs do these days to keep you paying

Dahbomb

Like this preorder or don't shit goes down to if you want to spend your money or not

I'm an adult I'll spend money on whatever dumb shit I want

Microtransactions are kinda nasty sometimes but i ignore it.

Some people will never understand you can ignore a majority of the things devs do these days to keep you paying
Everyone is entitled to spend money however they want but realize that the decisions of a few indirectly affect others on a more macro level. The issue is more insidious than just pre-orders screw over customers.

Getting mad because your next favorite game is loaded with microtransactions, pre-order exclusives and expensive as hell season passes? Blame it on pre-order culture. The most hilarious thing is them adding microtransactions and pre-order DLCs to remasters of old ass games than never had them to begin with!

I guess it's more appropriate to say that poorly informed and lack of self control people screw over others but the only way to get them to change is to make them more aware of pre-orders in general. That's where the whole "don't pre-order" thing comes from, because most of these people don't have the attention span to read anything bigger than that.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Not everyone is as informed about developers and publishers like this board (and even here...). They completely control the messaging up until launch and sometimes that doesn't actually match up with the game.
Not sure why some gamers are so outraged about the mere warning...

Dahbomb

Not everyone is as informed about developers and publishers like this board (and even here...). They completely control the messaging up until launch and sometimes that doesn't actually match up with the game.
Not sure why some gamers are so outraged about the mere warning...
Right and this issue has started to come to a head with publishers withholding review copies until release date so no one can actually get an accurate idea of how a game will be like. You are going in blind, you are expecting the pedigree of a company or the franchise to carry.

Another issue is pre-ordering a game to play the game earlier. Again, more incentives to pre-order and it was really successful for BF1. I am actually surprised more companies don't do this, they can make some extra bank from it because the whole $60 premium is to play it day 1. There are people who would pay $100 to play a game day -10. Or in the case of BF1, pay $20 extra to play it a few days earlier.

Hell I will god damn admit it... if I could play DMC5 day -10 at $100 I would ALMOST FLINCH.

Alright enough pre-order rants for the day.

notworksafe

I don't think so. Gamestop has quotas on their membership program, but not preorders...though you are supposed to push them from what I understand.

Lemstar

preordering games is cheaper than waiting to buy them and is practically risk-free; I don't understand why you wouldn't preorder a game you're remotely interested in

Preorders, PowerUp/PUR Pro membership signups, and used games are all metrics that GameStop uses to evaluate employee performance.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
their edge card is worse than best buy GCU, i basically have no reason to go there anymore. i guess i bought blue dragon there last month though.

Dahbomb

I really hope we see someone use this phoenix wright tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvw_nBcy75c
ROFL LMAO!

Seems like it's the combined capture stat of the hit grab moves of Spencer Grapple assist and Kidnap (on second try).

Doesn't seem worth it because you are playing two mediocre neutral assists and Phoenix Wright/Firebrand need all the help they can get in the neutral. Maybe this tech is possible with other combinations.

ROFL LMAO!

Seems like it's the combined capture stat of the hit grab moves of Spencer Grapple assist and Kidnap (on second try).

Doesn't seem worth it because you are playing two mediocre neutral assists and Phoenix Wright/Firebrand need all the help they can get in the neutral. Maybe this tech is possible with other combinations.

So far the levitate glitch can only be done with firebrand/spencer, and it only works vs certain characters. But yeah maybe more stuff will get discovered.

shaowebb

So far the levitate glitch can only be done with firebrand/spencer, and it only works vs certain characters. But yeah maybe more stuff will get discovered.

Heh. I'd like to see that become a thing honestly. Its on its way out, and who knows we may just have had a legit rumor though likely it was just bait. Be kind of fun if the last thing that was broke as hell to meta that came out was Firebrand/Spencer/ P.Wright becoming the most OP tactic in the game.

Heh. I'd like to see that become a thing honestly. Its on its way out, and who knows we may just have had a legit rumor though likely it was just bait. Be kind of fun if the last thing that was broke as hell to meta that came out was Firebrand/Spencer/ P.Wright becoming the most OP tactic in the game.

I kinda doubt it will be all that viable but it could be a fun gimmick team.

Dahbomb

An Ono-helmed Marvel 4 would have me at least pay attention as opposed to if Shiitsuma were heading it.
You would pay attention even if Keiji Inafune was making it. Because it's god damn Marvel.

And obviously it's not Marvel 4 tomorroe.
Because Marvel 4 will be unveiled at PSX along with DMC5 AAAAYYYY!

Dahbomb

What did Inafune make?
Megaman games, Mighty No. 6, Dead Rising 1 and REcore.

Also started the initiative at Capcom to make more Western outsourced games that Capcom has now scaled back on because it was a god damn disaster.

He no longer at works at Capcom.

He's not even a real game director, he's like a producer and a businessman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom