• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
#lettherockfree

278093.gif

282097.gif

286769.gif

The yomi throw sounds hilariously bad.

I understand Sirlin's idea, but I think the "yomi counter" should just be a simple throw break. Having your throw break be executed by just being in a completely neutral state is I think a good take on the mechanic, but the throw breaks themselves shouldn't act as a counter attack. Imagine if Gief just suddenly gave you a heavy SPD every time he broke a normal throw*

*Watch Capcom buff Gief this way in SF5.

mbpm1

Imagine if Gief just suddenly gave you a heavy SPD every time he broke a normal throw*

*Watch Capcom buff Gief this way in SF5.

That sounds cool though

Not heavy spd's tho but if he's a grappler getting grappler privilege might be fun

*wouldn't help his actual problems tho but still

thehadou

Neo Member
This goes back a few pages, but I enjoy in-house commentary. It hasn't been perfected yet for FGC events but the interaction between commentators and crowd (at least at events where they are near each-other) can add something to the overall experience. Joining this though, I think there has been a lack of mic'd crowd audio in the past year. There is a balance there that needs refinement.

I tend to argue for this mostly for event's with large game spreads though. Places where the general attendee might be there for game X and in-house commentary provides needed knowledge about game Y where familiarity might be lacking. This was actually pretty pivotal for Skullgirls at Combo Breaker the past 2 years. It helps that SG has seen commentators fall into "hype men" and " extended analysis" roles pretty naturally.

I think the expectation for commentators to be more subtle or sterile when commentary is piped in is the bigger issue overall. Too often it feels like they've been instructed not to interact with the crowd. The crowd at these events, like any convention, is part of the experience & part of the show. The viewer at home is only 1 of multiple targets that should be accounted for. As of today I don't think anyone other than Sajam laughing at the crowd laughing at segues has really gotten that part down.

Thanks to all of the above, live commentary pairings are hyper important. They take more than "good commentator A paired with good commentator B" most of the time. FGC wise thats a general objective that's not built on since budgets rarely allow for commentators to practice pairings/technique. There is a new style in the mix there somewhere though, and if its found I think it raises the overall experience up.

A good in-house commentator should feel like someone sitting on my couch making the match more interesting, giving me things to look for or get amped up about. This is why I tend to frown anytime any commentator starts doing play-by-play in a fighting game broadcast.

『Inaba Resident』;224451663 said:
so its essentially an auto throw tech if your inputs are completely neutral except you get full meter? And you just don't tech, you land a throw instead?

That's what the article says. Part of me thinks that Sirlin might tone that mechanic down, but Sirlin's also really big on the idea of hard reads, and the "yomi counter" will be the hardest of reads.

I'd like to see the game in action at the Playstation Experience, but I can't make the trip. I'll await first impressions.

Shouta

I feel like FGC in-house commentator should be more in line with regular sports rather than say e-sports or anything. Basically, no in-house commentary and having more crowd noise as part of the stream itself. FGs are fairly easy to understand even if one doesn't understand the intricacies of the game itself. Viewers can get into it without the extra. It also avoids the situation of the players having to hear the commentators talk about them.

I really don't think in-house commentary adds anything for the viewers in the venue itself. Sometimes it's nice for exhibitions or fun stuff but I don't think it's at all necessary for the main tournaments. It's actually sort of confused me why it's become a thing as I felt a lot of spectators didn't really ask for it. Commentary is great for watching at home, especially if it's a smart combination of commentary and actual play-by-play. When I watch a match in person, I want to be sucked into the atmosphere that's created by spectators just viewing and reacting. It's the experience of viewing it with others that makes the live experience unique, commentary for that isn't necessary.

Rhapsody

Banned
I feel like FGC in-house commentator should be more in line with regular sports rather than say e-sports or anything. Basically, no in-house commentary and having more crowd noise as part of the stream itself. FGs are fairly easy to understand even if one doesn't understand the intricacies of the game itself. Viewers can get into it without the extra. It also avoids the situation of the players having to hear the commentators talk about them.

I really don't think in-house commentary adds anything for the viewers in the venue itself. Sometimes it's nice for exhibitions or fun stuff but I don't think it's at all necessary for the main tournaments. It's actually sort of confused me why it's become a thing as I felt a lot of spectators didn't really ask for it. Commentary is great for watching at home, especially if it's a smart combination of commentary and actual play-by-play. When I watch a match in person, I want to be sucked into the atmosphere that's created by spectators just viewing and reacting. It's the experience of viewing it with others that makes the live experience unique, commentary for that isn't necessary.

I remember hearing James and David (not that they're in favor of it, I don't know) bring up how some people at Evo liked watching in the other room since some viewers really wanted to hear the commentary alongside the matches. So I guess some demand was there and it worked on up. I'm not the greatest fan of it. Not like I've been on the spot, but being in the player seat while hearing the commentators sounds a little weird.

shaowebb

HOLY SHIT! TVC Fans rejoice...LIVE ACTION HURRICANE POLYMAR MOVIE!
6miP6YK.jpg

http://animeanime.jp/article/img/2016/11/15/31337/100182.html

This fucker is amazing. His ancient anime was ridiculously violent for no reason and he is wonderful. Dude's favorite past time was hitting people long after they went limp, hitting normal ass dudes full tilt with super strength punches that kill for jollies, drowning fools and smiling about it, and frequently opening a fight with eye gouges, bone breaks, and groin shots. Dude would show up with a villain laugh for crying out loud!

And he was an amazing rushdown beast in TVC. Hit like a truck, had a command dodge roll, could rekka extend his AA into a full air combo into an aerial super for stupid high damage, had a lvl 5 move that hit like Raging Demon, and could stockpile 3 emblems off of posing to allow him to cancel a lightning leg move into either a high, a low or a grab. Legit as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Aaaaaaaaaaand its movie time!
:D

I'm stupid happy now. Have some gifs to build hype.

GOkvUIL.gif

GWgXy8N.gif

mQEU4Mr.gif

oH9DyhM.gif

4PIgFIh.gif

CO_Andy

This fucker is amazing. His ancient anime was ridiculously violent for no reason and he is wonderful./QUOTE]

I watched the first season of Lupin The Third a year ago. Boy was it violent, but i appreciate that aspect of old anime.

Make anime violent again!

pizzacat

Banned
Man that game looks like garbage plus making a fighting game incredibly easy will only make it boring within a night of playing even if it was super fun to watch and play. The reason people are into fighting games is because of the talent and work ethic it takes to be good.
Yeah but the reason that the fighting games that do sell (more than 60 copies) is because a baby can WIN at it

It's not so much that a dumb dumb can play it, but they have to consistently win.

CO_Andy

Yeah but the reason that the fighting games that do sell (more than 60 copies) is because a baby can WIN at it

It's not so much that a dumb dumb can play it, but they have to consistently win.
or at least be able to play on a team so they can have someone to blame for their losses

fighting games the biggest salt inducing genre

Tizoc

HOLY SHIT! TVC Fans rejoice...LIVE ACTION HURRICANE POLYMAR MOVIE!
6miP6YK.jpg

http://animeanime.jp/article/img/2016/11/15/31337/100182.html

This fucker is amazing. His ancient anime was ridiculously violent for no reason and he is wonderful. Dude's favorite past time was hitting people long after they went limp, hitting normal ass dudes full tilt with super strength punches that kill for jollies, drowning fools and smiling about it, and frequently opening a fight with eye gouges, bone breaks, and groin shots. Dude would show up with a villain laugh for crying out loud!

And he was an amazing rushdown beast in TVC. Hit like a truck, had a command dodge roll, could rekka extend his AA into a full air combo into an aerial super for stupid high damage, had a lvl 5 move that hit like Raging Demon, and could stockpile 3 emblems off of posing to allow him to cancel a lightning leg move into either a high, a low or a grab. Legit as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Aaaaaaaaaaand its movie time!
:D

I'm stupid happy now. Have some gifs to build hype.

GOkvUIL.gif

GWgXy8N.gif

mQEU4Mr.gif

oH9DyhM.gif

4PIgFIh.gif

Huh the most I know of Polymar is the Holy Blood song from the OVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1vOEkcNA-U

wELL that and Benimaru using some of his moves.

On Fantasy Strike:

I got my VODs up on Youtube in a playlist. They're not great quality as my streaming ability is very limited right now, but this should get folks an idea of how the game plays. The latter half of part 2 has some player vs AI battles, which at least show off the game's flow.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcudfMwQZ206dcsk3IHCxLknGz_-O0UTi

As it stands, I think the game is worth putting $5 in for. This is for two reasons:

1. I think the system is the best simplified 2D control scheme we've seen, with the exception of no crouching.
2. The character designs and art style have potential, even if they'll need a good amount of polish before I'd consider them acceptable.

There are a number of things I really like:

It is VERY quick to pick up and play - Divekick levels of quick.
The influence of SF2 is all over the game, and I love SF2.
It's designed to appeal to PC gamers first.

Onemic

His ground super is just Shin Shoryuken. Same animation.

Fantasy Strike is as bootleh as hell. I played some last night. OTOH it has an arcade mode and works with DI sticks, so it is still better than SFV.

...Did you just say that this game, with the world renowned Yomi Counter™, is better than SFV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom