• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

You gotta go E-Sports. League of Legends, Dota, Counter Strike all have in-house commentary so Fighting Games just has to copy.

Nobody knows what the fuck is going on in those games so that's why they have to pipe in commentary

Broadcast stream commentary over like a thing you can plug headphones into

2.5 months and counting to be precise. They announced the change log on MKXL and PC MKXL and let it rest awhile to promote that. Next reveals will likely start a steady stream since this is kind of how they rolled last time as well.

BTW I just got my copy of BB Central Fiction picked up. When I get home from work it'll be time to grind some Mai Natsume and get my shit packed in online :D

Between that and KOF 14 I should be good for next gen for a good while. Keep wanting to hop back on PC and play some more Melty and Arcana Heart though. So much unique and fast stuff there. Gonna be a fighty fighty month.

Let me know when you want to play.

You gotta go E-Sports. League of Legends, Dota, Counter Strike all have in-house commentary so Fighting Games just has to copy.

This is the FGC, not e-sports. We don't have the #s of players that those games have. The FGC needs to become a product that the consumer enjoys watching to make up for it. Part of that is crowd noise. Every major successful sporting event or competitive event does not have in-house commentary. From Chess, to Spelling Bees, to the NFL, NASCAR, and Soccer, NONE OF THEM HAVE IT and none of them want it.

If you got to the tournament you should be more than competent enough to understand what is going on in the game that you don't need hand holding play by play. People at tournaments are competitors themselves. Do you really think Aaron Rogers watches Tom Brady play football and thinks to himself "Man I need the insightful commentary of Phil Sims right now so I can make sense of what's happening"

It's hurting the product period. The FGC needs to be exciting and draw eyes and if you remove hype you are hurting that period.

Nobody knows what the fuck is going on in those games so that's why they have to pipe in commentary

Broadcast stream commentary over like a thing you can plug headphones into

Aren't the people that actually pay and travel to be at the venue going know about the games to some degree (minus the actual competitors of course, who do know about the game)? Especially a focused event?

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
Here's your weekend JoJo:

Diavolo VS Mista:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYlk1NsCf1A

This time, I think I’ll talk about the characters a bit so that you guys can understand what’s going on better.

Diavolo is considered by many to be the best character in the game. He’s a brass-tax type of character where if you know the basics of the game well, he has all the tools he needs to intimidate and punish the hell out of people. What makes him so unique is that it’s his defensive options that make him so good.

In Stand-Off, he has a counter that activates on frame 1. If he’s hit by anything that isn’t a throw or a super, the screen turns red and the opponent is stuck. Diavolo gets a few seconds to run in and do a free set up. This ‘deleted’ time segment ends when Diavolo presses a button, and the opponent is free again. It’s effectively impossible to zone out Diavolo or try and sneaky business with unbockable attacks or set-ups. This move effectively rips the momentum of the match out of the opponent’s hands and gives Diavolo full control. What’s even worse is that this move can be used as a combo breaker if you spend 2 bars of meter. On top of that, the combo breaker version recovers almost instantly, giving Diavolo a free whiff punish combo. It’s not uncommon for a Diavolo player to wait until his opponent combos into ultra, uses the combo breaker to have the ultra whiff (making them waste 2 bars), then do a 30% or more punish.

His ultra is also a counter active on frame 1. This time he trades countering projectiles with being able to counter supers and ultras. Without rage it does a little over 40% health.

So you see, if Diavolo has 2 bars of meter, his opponent is walking on egg shells for the rest of the match. What really ties the whole thing together is that he has a meterless BnB combo that does 30% and builds a chunk of meter. So he doesn’t have to sacrifice damage at all to build up for those crazy options. Furthermore, his main combos are from Stand-off. If he gets knocked down, he gets back up at his most threatening state. Other characters have to get up, find a way to get Stand-On, and then do their big combos.

Another thing of note is his super: ‘Epitaph’. It’s a multi-buff fixed to a timer. It makes it so that Diavolo auto-parries all attacks except throws, so long as he’s not pushing buttons or jumping. It also locks out the opponent form parrying. The third bonus is that his dash, which is a command mini-teleport with invincible frames, can be wave dashed and recovers super fast.

Combine all of this with great set of normals, and you have your top tier character. His S-On stance isn’t as good because he loses his combo breaker and damage output, but his new moveset makes him a grappler. He has an anti-air throw, and a command throw with invincible frames that can be roman cancelled into a combo. He has nasty set-ups after taunts too. Maybe in the future I’ll post a match-vid where the Diavolo player exploits this.

Mista, on the other hand doesn’t have Stand-on/off stances. He uses the style button to charge up his gunshots or to place his stands around the stage as ricochet points. His big damage comes from loading his stands into each bullet to do big damage per shot. You’ll see the Mista player do combos that look like cheap damage, but keep in mind he’s pressing the style button 3 times before he shoots every time. To compensate for this, you’ll see character specific controller settings where the Mista player will set all the shoulder buttons to ‘style’. There are other characters optimised with button layouts, but that’s for another time.

Anne

I hate in house commentary, but it's not for all the same reasons as y'all. I just feel like it's a waste compared to other things we can be doing. Nothing worse than a waste that just introduces more problems anyways.

The worst is letting players hear it. Fuck that. So the next step is to force headphones on them. Cut them off a bit from the venue. Fuck that.

Kalamari

Hearing the crowd noise in commentary adds a lot of liveliness the the stream, seeing the crowd getting hype helps too.

I think this was the biggest issue for stream viewers at Evo, the commentary booth was far too removed from the crowd, it really needs to be down near the stage and crowd in order to absorb the crowd noise and hypeness.

This is the FGC, not e-sports. We don't have the #s of players that those games have. The FGC needs to become a product that the consumer enjoys watching to make up for it. Part of that is crowd noise. Every major successful sporting event or competitive event does not have in-house commentary. From Chess, to Spelling Bees, to the NFL, NASCAR, and Soccer, NONE OF THEM HAVE IT and none of them want it.

The rabid atmosphere at FGC events is one of the biggest edges we have over other games from an esports perspective. It's a bad, bad thing to undercut that in any way.

And besides the technical reasons that in-house commentary can devalue the way that atmosphere comes across on stream, I also feel that in-house commentary can also mute the spectators themselves to some extent, if they are focusing on listening to commentary rather than just the experience of being there live.

Some of these other sports mentioned do have a 'hype man' at the venue that pipes in occasionally with pertinent info. The corollary to FGC would be the guy lathering up the crowd, introducing the players pre-match, etc. which has been done at EVO and some other events in the past. That is fine and there's no real downside to that. But none of those sports have commentators yakking nonstop over the action and I think there's many good reasons for that.

Played my first USF4 online matches in probably 9 months. Just wanted to test my new 4K TV and decided to see how well I could hit Evil Ryu links. But I decided to venture online, something I haven't done in a long time. First match I played Evil Ryu vs Cammy, I got destroyed because I had too much muscle memory from SFV. I did wake up st. Jab, I tried using st. Jab as a anti air, I did st. MP as a hit confirm, etc. That was a terrible idea so in my 2nd match I used Yun instead since I figure those muscle memories wouldn't carry over because the character is so different.

Next up I played a Honda which was best of 5 rounds. I did my Yun bull shit, he did annoying Honda stuff and we traded rounds. Finally it went down to the final round and we both went from playing crazy to playing safely because we wanted that win badly. I barely pull it off with less than 5% of my life left. That was one of the most exhilarating and stressful matches I've had this year. And very satisfying to.

He might have been waiting for a rematch, but I was like "Nah, I'm outta here". Back to playing Domination in Modern Warfare Remaster where if you're on the losing end of a game in Shipment you'll probably die 13 consecutive times from a Chopper or Air Strike.

kirblar

Hearing the crowd noise in commentary adds a lot of liveliness the the stream, seeing the crowd getting hype helps too.

I think this was the biggest issue for stream viewers at Evo, the commentary booth was far too removed from the crowd, it really needs to be down near the stage and crowd in order to absorb the crowd noise and hypeness.
The crowd noise had to be piped down to avoid a feedback loop.

cj_iwakura

For anyone interested, the high stakes Catherine tournament will be streamed tomorrow at 2PM(PST I assume).
twitch.tv/afkbnet
https://twitter.com/KingOfCatherine

Competitors will be competing for $5000 USD paid out through Top 5; 1st - $2000 2nd - $1500 3rd - $750 4th - $500 5th - $250
I think it's happening a bit abruptly, but no one else involved seems to mind, so I hope it goes well.

tumblr_ogidb7bZ0x1u6jjy9o1_1280.png

Yipes just said he's planning on calling out a west coast player in the near future for a Marvel grudge match. And he said it's not FChamp. It's obviously not ChrisG cause Yipes would never call ChrisG a west coast player.

So maybe it's Clockwork, Apologyman, or Neo? Or hell, Priest?

Also he said he doesn't play Dr. Strange anymore? I haven't seen Yipes play in ages so I don't know what his new team is.

Dahbomb

Yipes just said he's planning on calling out a west coast player in the near future for a Marvel grudge match. And he said it's not FChamp. It's obviously not ChrisG cause Yipes would never call ChrisG a west coast player.

So maybe it's Clockwork, Apologyman, or Neo? Or hell, Priest?

Also he said he doesn't play Dr. Strange anymore? I haven't seen Yipes play in ages so I don't know what his new team is.
Yipes calling someone out in Marvel 3? Sure it wasn't Marvel 2?

He plays Mag/Doom/Vergil or Spencer/Vergil/Hawkeye if he plays nowadays.

Yipes calling someone out in Marvel 3? Sure it wasn't Marvel 2?

He plays Mag/Doom/Vergil or Spencer/Vergil/Hawkeye if he plays nowadays.

It sounded like he was talking about Marvel 3.

Also, we got Spider-Man vs Viewtiful Joe, both backed up by Doom/Dante. Some fun marvel going on now!

Yipes is hinting at a new Curleh Mustache as well!

shaowebb

Starting to settle in on favorites in KOF 14 now.

• Love Heart
  • Kukri
  • Mian
  • Zarina
  • K'
  • Andy Bogard

Mian and Love Heart are just easy to wreck folks with and to get in with. Love Heart has an advantage from long range though since she has the huge hitboxes and projectile stuff. Both are easy to get baited by. Kukri I'm just an ass with. I zone and I abuse max mode teleports and setups with his sand tools. So easy to start shit with him. Zarina is my counterpoke punish character. K' and Andy are still bros for being K' and Andy.

Thinking my team will may go with Love Heart, Kukri , Mian with the others as back pocket folks.

Been testing out a few things in Blaz Blue CF today. My God is Mai Natsume everything I'd hoped. Decent speed, GREAT hitboxes, has a "lightning leg" tool, everything is a quarter circle motion, 100% heat move is a simple down down down+D motion with a good hitbox, and her D button in general is super abusable for both followups and zoning as its an aimable Spear throw. Tons of familiarity thanks to my time with Nemea in Orochi. The combos just make sense. So easy to do anything. Can't wait to try out trials with her.

Naoto was as rough as I expected vs Nine in arcade BTW. His qcf to HCB motions suck for me because apparently my stick PCB aint working with PS4 so I'm pad warrior-ing things. Seems like a dude whose a mix of Carmine and Sol Badguy and most his shit started off of B for me. Once he's in his pressure is great but I've been here before with Bullet...staying in with some folks can be hard in BB.

Gonna lab awhile. Definitely gonna need to try to main me some Mai Natsume though.

shaowebb

Because it's a great game?

This really. The main character Hikaru is a blast. His rekkas and toolset of neat projectiles make him sorta a mix between Slayer and ...lord i dont even know. His in and out game kinda sorta reminds me of KOF Ramon, but those projectiles are all over the place. Kagari is ninja-riffic too. Definitely good if you're a fan of Ibuki kunai, Akuma dash porting and just general pressure. Got a bit of old school Alpha Charlie Nash in there too really.

Its not just one cool moveset though. The whole cast is good but you get to custom pick your mobility and a few specials making it a very good time for tweaking a character and its got chaos states that do stuff like remove combo limits letting you do some really wild stuff.

Here's some tourney play of Chaos Code
Cannot wait for the sequel to finally come out. Its gonna have online this time
Thank GOD!

EDIT: Lol...I play way too many fighters. I just tried to neutral jump into Ranbu a reversal in Blaz Blue like it was DFCI. I was trying to pressure Nine with Naoto again and I did jump B into a full HCB +BC in case she burst. This aint DFCI though...Time to slow down and practice less games for a bit.

DOUBLE EDIT: Wow...slow day for posts. Anyhow been playing more Mai Natsume in the lab. Suuuuuper easy double jump combos and throw combos. Plus her lance is a corner mixup. Jump overhead, hit D to throw off screen, hit D again to make it home in and hit opponent in the back.Hoping I can setup a throw combo in the corner by jumping D+D directly over folks on wakeup. If it works it'll shoot the lance behind them, then it'll try to cross up as the second D makes it come back at the enemy with its homing property. If they block I hope to land, go with throw into either the cr.C launcher or the upward lance into jump cancel stuff. If they don't block on wakeup I'm hoping it stuffs their wakeup and I'll see if I can do jump C into whatever standard combo afterwards or something.

This character is shenanigans in the corner and at full screen its worse than facing the weird angles of Al Azif zoning in Nitroplus with all the zig zaggy projectiles. That lance redirects towards the opponent so you can bury them easy off of mid to full if you setup right with her dash attacks. Hell naked QCF actually IS a dash with this character and it cancels into other dash attacks like some kind of Beowulf/John Talbain dash attacker moveset. So easy to pressure folks.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
According to Eventhabs there's a big announcement tomorrow for SFV. Christmas costumes? A new character?

The article says it's a collaboration.

So best case scenario, guest character from Tekken like Hiehachi or something.

Most likely scenario, sponsored costumes like the Redbull ones.

shaowebb

What in the actual shit man. I'm on chapter 79 ep10 of Blaz Blue Central Fiction's story mode and believe it or not after all these games IT ALL ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE.

Still a tangled mess of overly elaborate terminology and backstory on everyone and everything, but disregarding all that you pretty much hit episodes 8-10 and thats the explanation for all the convoluted bullshit right there you'll ever need. You can sleep through the rest of all the weird and between those episodes and recap at the beginning of the game you'll have all the "true plot" that has always remained intact and mattered. The rest of all that
just a distraction. Its more complicated than just time loops, alternate time lines, time travel, and other worlds. The reveal for just what the fuck has actually occurred to cause ALL the game stories is revealed. Focus on that fact about The Embryo, The Azure, Noel, and all possibilities and thats all that matters.You can ignore the rest because its literally just shockwaves and symptoms happening because of the real issue at hand.

Eager to see the ending at this point. :D
Been a decade of waiting for this shit to come to a head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom