• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Z8hbhna.gif

.la1n

The IG streams are notorious for trolling the hell out of people so I'm not going to read too much into a MvC 3 stream. We will see.

I forgot that it's still 2016 so I can only imagine this is the one of the most elaborate Trolls to cap the end of this year. Even the Big Mac creator passed away :(

shaowebb

I remember Keits dumping on Ryu on vanilla

tbf Ryu wasn't very good there but there were better characters to dump on

Easier targets doesn't mean that Ryu wasn't worth mentioning a lot. I mained him in Vanilla and it was a wreck. He was pretty much air Light Tatsu all day for crossups, and struggling vs zoning. Guy had ZERO otg for his combos it made his only friend really Wesker for stuff because you essentially high low pressure with gunshot assist and OTG off the same. He was a struggle and with a few changes he could have been alright and thats what bugged a lot of us. Had Iron Fist not came out I'd have stuck with him. Had Iron Fist not had his own problems that is...I originally loved Ryu/Iron Fist for the DHC synergy and the OTG assist synergy with Ryu.

Sadly though even after the buffs in Ultimate Ryu still had issues in spite of Denjin mode,as you saw from the infamous Chris G breakdown vs PR Balrog later in Ultimate that the input leniency increases were a problem waiting to happen. Chris G went for one super and Shinshoryuken came out instead due to leniency keeping the forward input registered too long. Could've maybe tiger kneed it I guess, but still it happened and in one of the tightest Grand Finals to date 3 bars disappeared and Chris G was taken out of the zone and into one of his crippling mental spirals. Took his hands off the stick and was just looking at em saying thats not what was supposed to come out. Painful...and it led to his labbing the cast and Morridoom happening shortly after but I digress.

Vanilla Ryu was rough. He couldn't effectively slow down run away zoning nor could he thread the needle in the air easily enough to super jump in. He couldn't pressure on his own and his combos were too short without very particular OTG assist options. Best I found was Wesker plus a zoning friend. Magneto and Wesker was probably the best options to use since the DHC glitch was super powerful in that game with Magneto and since Wesker gunshot was by far the best utility assist for Ryu hands down. Honestly my team just put Ryu second because he required soooooo much meter that on point he just died and was a better DHC. Sadly his assists were mediocre though. I ran either Chun Li/Ryu/Sentinel which didn't work much due to Chun having similar OTG woes plus damage problems or Storm/Ryu/Sentinel which was pretty decent on damage and DHC and had Iron Fist not come along would've likely stuck around for me.

Seyavesh

Vanilla Ryu was rough. He couldn't effectively slow down run away zoning nor could he thread the needle in the air easily enough to super jump in. He couldn't pressure on his own and his combos were too short without very particular OTG assist options.

more important than all of this is ryu can't actually wavedash/plinkdash in vanilla
same with chris. those were the biggest buffs they got by a long shot, though the rest of their buffs were also quite substantial.

you know how iron man's umvc3 dash has 16~f where you can't do anything? those guys had it too in vanilla for no discernible reason.

chris and ryu are theoretically the 2 worst chars in vanilla because of this. maybe a strong tie with hsienko, idk.
edit: wait no hsienko can finish the DHC glitch, so lol

also remember how vanilla ryu couldn't cancel his overhead into anything (except XFing)? that was pretty tight

Seyavesh

I remember Keits told Mike Ryu was bad because he couldnt do cr.ABC Launcher, cuz the C was a sweep...

uhhhh, what?

that's like literally his most consistent starter because his standing normals are extremely inconsistent for comboing based on spacing (max distance cr.m->st.H->f.H can whiff for example) while cr.lmh f+h always hits due to the sweep putting them into a launch state and making their hurtbox grow to the launch hurtbox size (which is fucking massive because it doubles in size effectively)

that's a real strange statement to make

Dahbomb

Ryu in Vanilla Marvel 3 was actually legit bad (bottom 3 free). Didn't have a proper wave dash and couldn't cancel overhead except with XF.

ChrisG would just get up to people, overhead then XF to confirm it. I can't believe ChrisG used to take games off of people with Ryu/Amaterasu/Wesker... man was the FGC bad at the game back then.

I am not buying any of these IG stuff, seems like taking advantage of the Marvel rumor hype going on. But if there's a Marvel port, I hope IG does it.

Dahbomb

I just hope that the next game relies more on fundamentals and footsies than gimmicks.
You can't win in Marvel 3 without fundamentals and footsies.

And gimmicks are what make these games endearing. No matter what they release, the first 1-2 years people are going to be winning off of gimmicks anyway.

But they do need more emphasis on the neutral over "I'm gonna get the first hit and go from there". I think over time neutral became super important in Marvel 3 but it took a long time for it to get to that stage and that's because the bulldog strategy worked too well for most of the game's life cycle.

peter0611

Will anyone be attending CC? I'd like to possibly hook up with some people from Gaf. I went to CC 2014, and it was pretty lonely by myself. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom