• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I know shaowebb is on board for this game with how TvCish it looks lol

I don't know yet. I've already accepted it as an experimental offshoot of MvC that's meant to be more casual friendly (something the franchise sorely needs), but I don't know if the skill ceiling has been lowered so far that this is now an unsalvageable product.

The visuals will undoubtably improve and get more consistent (or at least I'm not sure why there is a white glow sometimes, but I doubt it's a gameplay indicator), but I really like the SFxTK-esque instant switching (which can function as an assist... kinda) and it also seems like they've yet to spill on some of the other mechanics like the second ability each Infinity Stone has.

Capcom probably should have come up with a different name if it is not going to have staple features of the series. Branding trumps all.
but this is what they did, and the branding is still being put to use here

I hope Capcom work on the graphics but the game looks like a Wii/Wiiu game AKA TvC. Down to the graphics and gameplay. Is Avengers 3 coming out next year? If so seems like a movie tie in game. The movie is about Thanos and infinity stone too.

The interview said that the team wants people to be able to swap characters whenever you want, so my guess is that tagging costs no meter - no reason for it to mid-combo anyway.

I didn't see it yet but everyone is saying Marvel I looks like trash.
It's Donald Trump levels of bad.

There needs to be a risk of some sort.

However we have no idea about what enables you to tag as of yet.
Risk = removing 2 features from previous games and calling it a day?

petghost

Banned
im actually digging the gameplay trailer and the gems seem like could maybe be cool.

anyone have any clue what determines how many times you can tag between partners? will it be meter dependent?

edit: Nvm karst got it

but rwith the gems i could imagine 1 or 2 becoming the only competitively viable ones that will be tough to balance

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's Donald Trump levels of bad.
whoa.png

CO_Andy

Graphics remind me of the PBAS blandness.

I hope Capcom work on the graphics but the game looks like a Wii/Wiiu game AKA TvC. Down to the graphics and gameplay. Is Avengers 3 coming out next year? If so seems like a movie tie in game. The movie is about Thanos and infinity stone too.
you should get your eyes check if you think Wii and Wii U are in the same generation. also TvC got way more style than MVCi

Dahbomb

We already have numerous tag switching games on the market, Marvel was one of the very few games with assist based fighting that defined it. If I wanted to play a 2v2 fighter with no assists and mid combo tag combos then I would play SFXT and Tekken Tag 2.

Man the prophecy really has come to fruition. Marvel 2 fans complained about how casual Marvel 3 is and now Marvel 3 fans will say the same about Marvel I. The fighting game cycle continues.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
When I asked them about the rumor that the game’s roster would not include as many (or any) characters from the X-Men or Fantastic Four series due film rights issues (the current film series for those franchises are owned by Fox and not Marvel Studios) and would instead favor characters already in the Marvel cinematic universe, Creative Director of Marvel Entertainment Bill Roseman didn’t tense up the way PR folks tend to when you ask them a difficult question. While Marvel wants to take a forward-thinking stance with the characters they include in the game, he wants to make sure fans of all of Marvel properties, including X-Men, were happy. “That heritage is not lost,” he told me

The patterns say otherwise

DRE Fei

A MvC branded game with no Xmen seems weird to me. Isn't Magneto basically the face of the franchise at this point or something?

RIP Dormammu and Phoenix. We won't be able to have awesome shit like both of you in a game like this.

A MvC branded game with no Xmen seems weird to me. Isn't Magneto basically the face of the franchise at this point or something?
I'd say Wolverine, but Magneto is #2 no doubt.

petghost

Banned
team composition gonna really be streamlined which is a bummer.

was very exciting seeing people invent shit for like 3 years into the games life.

The Light

you should keep complaining, i'm sure they'll tell the devs immediately
Not complaining at all. I'm pretty fine with what they are trying to do. I just think that having mvc in the name and not seeing seeing assists aren't syncing for some people which is the cause for the negative reactions some are displaying.
I know shaowebb is on board for this game with how TvCish it looks lol

I don't know yet. I've already accepted it as an experimental offshoot of MvC that's meant to be more casual friendly (something the franchise sorely needs), but I don't know if the skill ceiling has been lowered so far that this is now an unsalvageable product.

The visuals will undoubtably improve and get more consistent (or at least I'm not sure why there is a white glow sometimes, but I doubt it's a gameplay indicator), but I really like the SFxTK-esque instant switching (which can function as an assist... kinda) and it also seems like they've yet to spill on some of the other mechanics like the second ability each Infinity Stone has.

but this is what they did, and the branding is still being put to use here
I agree with this. I am very interested in seeing this game version of the groove system.

Dahbomb

team composition gonna really be streamlined which is a bummer.

was very exciting seeing people invent shit for like 3 years into the games life.
Team composition is going to be the two best characters on the same team with the best gem.

That or a point character that can open people up really easily and a secondary that can do massive damage. So whoever is best at neutral and whoever has biggest damage/anchor potential with resources.

I don't think team synergy is going to be the focus of this game. They probably want you to play whatever 2 character pair you want and make it work.

There's already a lot of misinformed stuff being spread on gaming side. People think that because it's 2v2 and has no assists that the combos wouldn't be crazy or long and you aren't going to get wasted fast. They also think this game is going to magically be well balanced on launch.

I got news for people:

*Bad people will still get thoroughly wasted in a flash in this game.
*You will still get hit by long ass combos for big damage.
*At launch some broken stuff will be discovered and will be abused to death until people get sick of it and Capcom has to patch it.
*This is still going to be harder to play/learn than SFV because you still have to learn 2 characters and you still have to practice combos/set ups/situations in lab. You are going to be punished even harder for dropping combos.

CurlyW

According to the website that tracks these things, Nuckledu is now the 2nd-highest earning fighting game player of all time, #176 overall.

Sayah

Look at all this salt. I guess the people that were looking forward to drinking fan tears at the prospect of no MvC4 announced still got their wish fulfilled.

I liked MvC3 but it was filled to the brim with bullshit. It was a fun game but not what I would call a good, honest fighting game. I would have been fine with more of that style I guess but the direction Infinite is taking is also exciting.

Dahbomb

If people wanted to play an honest fighter they would be playing Tekken or VF.

And this game is not going to be that honest either. Expect to get hit and be put in a long combo. Or random comeback with Infinity stones while the character teleport around you and then puts you in a pseudo infinite with the speed gem.

NEO0MJ

Be careful what you wish for, etc.

For those that want their assist based game fix you'll have to turn to anime games like Skullgirls and Arcane Heart. shaowebb can help you out.

There needs to be a risk of some sort.

However we have no idea about what enables you to tag as of yet.

Pretty much. Tag in is only useful for combos vs assits can be used to extend combos AND use in neutral or make unsafe moves safe. There is a risk when calling an assist vs dropping a combo.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yeah I don't remember them showing off combos that long and dumb in marvel 3's early gameplay videos.

If early stuff is that long I can only suspect it will get dumber later on

pixelish

ono's doggie died the day he revealed the gameplay trailer for marvel

please pay respects to the martyr.

Yoshinori Ono ‏@Yoshi_OnoChin 16m
Finally...I apologize that its my private,my lovey daughter is gone in CC final ceremony time.She's 14years old.I cant date of Today.Thanks!

This honestly feels like some corrupt a wish shit.

"I want a new Marvel vs. game!"

"Granted but there are no x-men, no assist, it's 2v2, looks like shit, & has gems"

Anne

Clockwrok's twitter impressions seem like the reasonable attitude. RTed something like "sucks assists are gone" but is still saying it could be a good game anyways. Literally the only real thing we have to go on mechanically is gems are like grooves and assists are gone.

The minion tears are kinda ridiculous.

I-hate-u

Clockwrok's twitter impressions seem like the reasonable attitude. RTed something like "sucks assists are gone" but is still saying it could be a good game anyways. Literally the only real thing we have to go on mechanically is gems are like grooves and assists are gone.

He worked a game. He knows.

Shouta

I had tons of fun with the pre-MVC2 games and TvC so I'll be fine with this. Assists were a much bigger deal with the 3v3 games than they were with the 2v2 ones, IMO. So I don't think the lack of them will be as a big of a deal aside from the history aspect of it.

This honestly feels like some corrupt a wish shit.

"I want a new Marvel vs. game!"

"Granted but there are no x-men, no assist, it's 2v2, looks like shit, & has gems"
2 days ago, I had a thought: "Finally, something good in 2016."

I had tons of fun with the pre-MVC2 games and TvC so I'll be fine with this. Assists were a much bigger deal with the 3v3 games than they were with the 2v2 ones, IMO. So I don't think the lack of them will be as a big of a deal aside from the history aspect of it.
But MvC1 and TvC had assists.

It could be a good game but it still wouldn't be Marvel. I guess we'll have to see just how important the things missing are to the monolithic concept of "Marvel hype"

Shouta

2 days ago, I had a thought: "Finally, something good in 2016."

But MvC1 and TvC had assists.

I said they weren't as big of a deal in the 2v2 not that they didn't exist. You should probably focus more on grading papers if you're not reading what I wrote correctly. =P

MSHvSF had Assists as well. I think XvSF did too but it's been so long since I played that game, I don't remember.

Anne

I said they weren't as big of a deal in the 2v2 not that they didn't exist. You should probably focus more on grading papers if you're not reading what I wrote correctly. =P

MSHvSF had Assists as well. I think XvSF did too but it's been so long since I played that game, I don't remember.

MSH was the first game to feature the "variable assist" mechanic. The assists weren't nearly as central of a thign until MvC1 right? And in MvC1 it was a pretty poor implementation of just a few hyperly powerful ones? I don't even know how people knew how to select assists back then tbh. I just look up the codes. I guess if you only needed to know like 3 of them it was p easy.

I was focusing on you saying you had fun with TvC, which had assists. It isn't clear to me how you enjoying TvC is relevant here. I read what you wrote just fine.

Shouta

MSH was the first game to feature the "variable assist" mechanic. The assists weren't nearly as central of a thign until MvC1 right? And in MvC1 it was a pretty poor implementation of just a few hyperly powerful ones? I don't even know how people knew how to select assists back then tbh. I just look up the codes. I guess if you only needed to know like 3 of them it was p easy.

Makes sense MSHvsSF was the first. It's been so long since I played XvSF. It came out when I was in middle school, lol.

It wasn't as central until MvC2 as I recall. MSHvSF had one flavor of assist per character as I recall and it could be used to extend combos but it really didn't revolve around it. MvC1 had a ton of assists and extremely powerful ones at that. So it started to become part of the meta but because assists were limited usage. That made it hard to center your entire gameplan around. MvC2 was real paradigm shift in regards to them because of multiple varieties, unlimited usage, and two assists available to you if all your chars were still alive.

I was focusing on you saying you had fun with TvC, which had assists. It isn't clear to me how you enjoying TvC is relevant here. I read what you wrote just fine.

How is not clear? Everyone is moaning about losing assists and I point out that the 2v2 games, where assists are not as central, are still really fun to play. TvC is one of those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom