• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

2v2, no assists, instant tag, and possible selectable xfactor type mechanic all sound good to me. of course we'll have to see what actually happens but so far so good.

notworksafe

i think driving people away is the opposite intended effect :p

in the end those folks will still be around as long as the game is fun to watch and/or play and that's cool. but with a year or w/e til it comes out who knows what will happen.

Dahbomb

2v2, no assists, instant tag, and possible selectable xfactor type mechanic all sound good to me. of course we'll have to see what actually happens but so far so good.
None of these are objectively good things. They aren't bad things either in a vacuum but we had SFXT not too long ago that had that stuff.

We don't know how combos work for example. It could still be a game where you get hit once and die, which is going to hurt more because there are only two characters so less decisions to make. And combos could still be very long, hell the focus of all the trailers was to show flashy combos.

Right now what makes me have SOME faith in the game is that Marvel is backing up Capcom big time here and that they are finally making this game internally. Other than that I don't really know much about the game to form a valid opinion. I am excited for it because it's a new Marvel game but just because it's new doesn't mean it will be as good or better.

notworksafe

i kinda do hope this turns out like sfxt in a way. i really enjoyed all the time i spent with sfxt early builds before it got too weird and they added pandora, etc. if mvci plays like those early sfxt builds but with airdashes and super jumps and other crazy shit, i'm in.

also reminds me of the early mvc3 builds where everyone had an airdash. now THAT was a crazy ass game to play.

quick, name a game that were made completely from re purposed assets and was better than the original

trick question, monster hunter. a capcom title. come at me.

Sayad

i think driving people away is the opposite intended effect :p

in the end those folks will still be around as long as the game is fun to watch and/or play and that's cool. but with a year or w/e til it comes out who knows what will happen.
Nah, something like this could easily drive a subset of the community away, especially old heads, without hurting the overall user base, see SFV and r/kappa.

Pompadour

The nascent portion of the FGC wishing for SFXT: The Good Parts might finally get their wish

The fact that people treat SF4 and SFxT like releases in a halcyon period of Capcom fighting games tells me that the FGC is full of shit. Everyone hated SF4 for years and SFxT was a goddamned mess at launch that became a somewhat decent game later. Considering how often people try to promote old Capcom fighting games or games like GGXrd and KOFXIV that convinces me the FGC only likes games they don't play.

notworksafe

if anything the old heads are more likely to stick around imo. if anyone would be likely to drop off it'd be the "mvc3 was my first competitive game" set cause they think THIS IS NOT MY MARVEL. i can see it happening to a few folks in my local scene.

re: sfxt - game was ass imo but there were 100% salvageable parts in there.

The fact that people treat SF4 and SFxT like releases in a halcyon period of Capcom fighting games tells me that the FGC is full of shit. Everyone hated SF4 for years and SFxT was a goddamned mess at launch that became a somewhat decent game later. Considering how often people try to promote old Capcom fighting games or games like GGXrd and KOFXIV that convinces me the FGC only likes games they don't play.
I think Floe put things simply when he referred to UNIEL as his side bitch compared to SFV

There's a pejorative nickname in the Japanese FGC that refers to it as "Duty Fighter V", a game they play out of obligation rather than actually enjoying it

mbpm1

I think Floe put things simply when he referred to UNIEL as his side bitch compared to SFV

There's a pejorative nickname in the Japanese FGC that refers to it as "Duty Fighter V", a game they play out of obligation rather than actually enjoying it
All must pay the capcom debt

Seyavesh

quick, name a game that were made completely from re purposed assets and was better than the original

trick question, monster hunter. a capcom title. come at me.

mvc2

also the hate boner in this thread for marvel is pretty hilarious. i would ask if this is recent to mvc3 but ive seen the same shit dating back to actual oldheads so i guess it's the nature of the franchise itself, haha.

are these the same old heads that complained about the complexity of SF4 and mahvel and how these youngins need to learn proper "footses" and mind games and all the flash and glam on screen was a proverbial cyanide pill to the enlightened button mashers?

i'm of the belief that sometimes you need a dose of "STUPID SHIT ON SCREEN" to add to the flair of entertainment watching.

Seyavesh

are these the same old heads that complained about the complexity of SF4 and mahvel and how these youngins need to learn proper "footses" and mind games and all the flash and glam on screen was a proverbial cyanide pill to the enlightened button mashers?

i'm of the belief that sometimes you need a dose of "STUPID SHIT ON SCREEN" to add to the flair of entertainment watching.

nah, actual competitors for tekken, cvs2 and 3s. they love the cheap shit and wish modern games had that stuff but they just got that hate for marvel for p. much no rational reason. some of em even really like sf4 (well, one of em anyways) and still got that attitude, haha.

i'm probably in that category of "first competitive game was mvc3" dudes who have the risk factor of dropping modern fgs altogether if mvc4 lacks the fast movement, strong tools and open environment for style/creativity, unfortunately.

probably the most bizarre thing to me from mvc4 are the dudes who are saying 2v2 is taking the series back to a more fair and honest time. i get preference for different types of cheap shit but that kind of statement is like... absurd to me. i really wonder about the experience and skill of those dudes, even though that falls into the usual bullshit elitism trap.

i guess it's typical of the series for absurd and insane expectations anyways, haha.

Dahbomb

The further you go back in the VS series the more broken they get.

Just because a game is 2v2 doesn't mean it's going to be less broken than Marvel 2/3. Though there are certainly far less factors to consider and balance around.

Line_HTX

The Time Stone might give different combo routes that couldn't be done normally, who knows...

Morrigan with Time and throws more soulfists onto the screen, mmhmm...

Dahbomb

The Time Stone might give different combo routes that couldn't be done normally, who knows...

Morrigan with Time and throws more soulfists onto the screen, mmhmm...
We already see in the trailer that the Time gem allows you to break the normal rules of the magic series chain combos. Captain Marvel is continuously going back from heavy to lights and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom