• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

C1ZGeRQUoAAN0B1.jpg

no

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Echo Fox era will coincide with the death of fighting games, I'm sure.

They were mistake, they're nothing but trash.

shaowebb

Chair broke. Time to get a decent gaming chair now...lucky for me there are a bunch on sale on Amazon that rate high on PC gamer charts right now. Dont know what everyone prefers, but putting it out there that if you want one now is a good time to go in apparently. Saved $90 on a nice yellow and black ergonomic gaming chair due to a sale. $130 is a good price for a quality chair that should be mid 200's after shipping. Link

Lucky thing is apparently yellow and black is the cheapest model since everyone buys reds, but those are actually the colors I used in my room so they were what I needed.
Can't wait to sit in this thing.

shaowebb

Im just happy its arms aren't connected up near the front of the seat. I'm 6'2' and like to stretch out so most chairs just sorta have the arms ram into the outside of my thighs. Looks way cozier than the mesh back office depot style chairs or cloth/leather combo office chairs I've had in the past.

My current office chair arm broke on the left from the chair back and the left side of the chair swung open trying to dump me. Here's hoping the PC gaming chairs really are better than office chairs like they advertise.
I just bought a racing chair. It's really comfortable. Mine came with a ottoman too.

I remember that!
:)
Your quest is kinda what made me think to look into gaming chairs to begin with. You seemed so happy that I thought I'd read into it some when this one broke.

Tripon

I got the Markus from Ikea. It was $175 and then there was a $25 coupon that Ikea was running for the holidays.

I know I will keep it for at least 2 years and possibly use it at my work office because they are being slow at getting me a new office chair.

But if you are willing to spend $350-600, I'd just get an Aeron Herman Miller chair, either used or new and be set for the next 5-10 years.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
They are for long sessions and great for posturing. I wouldn't use them for anything but. Using them as office chairs, nope.

shaowebb

They are for long sessions and great for posturing. I wouldn't use them for anything but. Using them as office chairs, nope.

Yeah, that big lower lumbar pad looks like if you tried to sit upright you couldn't and you'd essentially be forced to recline. Since I use my intuos on my knees instead of my keyboard tray ( I tend to rest my feet on the back of my desk rail leaving my knees tucked...I'm tall) it looks cozy for animation sessions since I recline anyways.

Being tall at a desk suuuuuuucks. Helps to just recline and lay your gear on your lap. This week I've either been long playing Shadowverse or trying to animate effects and hitsparks so I'm pretty eager for anything that helps. My shoulders are killing me. They tense up easy on me anyways. I took a brainbuster wrong back when I wrestled for CPW in 2001 in practice and it makes lefty knot up quick. Fucker should've called his spot. We had never even practiced that one. Thought he was going for a vertical suplex so I arched back instead of tucking when I felt the drop begin. Ever seen a dude's heels go toward his shoulders from a 6 foot drop? Good thing my shoulder blade was all that took the bump wrong. It absorbed most of the impact and since my back was pretty strong and flexible it was fine. Makes long sessions of leaning over stiffen quick though because it probably resulted in small tears that force puffed areas in the back muscles underneath that blade.

I got the Markus from Ikea. It was $175 and then there was a $25 coupon that Ikea was running for the holidays.

yep. Shit is great, even for tall people, and you don't look like an overgrown child in a amusement park ride like the Racer Chairs popular on TWitch

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I know I will keep it for at least 2 years and possibly use it at my work office because they are being slow at getting me a new office chair.

But if you are willing to spend $350-600, I'd just get an Aeron Herman Miller chair, either used or new and be set for the next 5-10 years.
Markus chair is the GOAT.

Dat ease of recline.

Line_HTX

SFV continues to have insane fuck ups yet players refuse to play other games, and meanwhile it gets awarded with Fighter of the Year undeservedly.

petran79

Banned
SFV continues to have insane fuck ups yet players refuse to play other games, and meanwhile it gets awarded with Fighter of the Year undeservedly.

SFV turned into an MMO. With even slower loading times. Lobbies are so bad. Instead of implementing something like Guilty Gear or Skullgirls, I am forced to wait in a row till the matches end. At least SFIV lobbies had only 1 match till it was your turn. Here they can play up to 5 matches in a set. In a lobby with 8 players I have to wait at least 20-30 minutes for a match.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
Here's some weekend JoJo:
Yoshikage Kira VS Will Zeppeli:
http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm28463679

Yoshikage Kira is a rushdown and okizeme character, as opposed to his Kosaku counterpart (zoning and okizeme). I’m not sure if you see him use the coin in this set, but his coin is unblockable. This leads to some seriously scary wake-up situations. Combine that with 60-70% combos, and he can finish people pretty quickly. On top of that, his ultra, Sheer Heart Attack, is unblockable and can be cancelled into out of a blockstring. This means if he has 2 bars and you’re low on life, you can’t let him touch you at all or it’s a guaranteed win for him.

Will Zeppeli is a well rounded character capable of both rush down and keep out. His tools give him debatably the best neutral game in the game. In fact, this character is pretty unique amongst fighting games in that he has full control over positioning in a match. This is due to EX Sunlight Yellow Overdrive (63214S), which stuns the opponent long enough to dash forward twice for wall carry, side-step to go from side wall to back wall, or even jump over to change sides, and THEN finish the combo. In addition to this, he has different ways to change his air trajectory after a jump for mix-ups. He’s also one of the characters that can cancel normals into a super jump for both safety and pressure. Despite all this, he was considered lower tier because of his low damage output. This changed after it was discovered that you can convert almost any hard knockdown situation into an extended combo by chaining instant TK’d air Tornado Overdrives to get a bunch of extra damage and meter. He’s pretty great and fun to play.

I recently had the chance to play the PS1 version of the Capcom JoJo game. The story mode in that game definitely puts ASB to shame. One thing I will say, however, is that after the first time it becomes a big pain to unlock the hidden characters. Some of those story missions are super hard, and if you don’t have a guide it’s almost impossible to figure out the secret factors to get your scores up.

After a while of playing I think one isn’t necessarily better than the other. The Capcom one is definitely more poke heavy and the KOF styled movement is interesting. You dash forward and the character hurls themselves across the screen. Combos are notoriously hard in that game. Links out the butt. Meanwhile ASB has 3D movement with Virtua Fighter styled side step, different weight classes for juggles, and roman cancels. Capcom has the ‘dash through’ and ASB has a parry system. Capcom has ‘tandem attacks’ and ASB has stand rush. Both have ways to cancel into stand-on. They’re as similar as they are different, and I think it comes down to preference -- kind of like choosing between Tekken 6 (ASB) and TTT2. One is more slow and deliberate, yet solid. The other is much more fast and loose. One thing that I do appreciate about ASB is that the roster seems much more balanced. Poor Young Joseph in Capcom’s game… the hit-box for his clackers is pretty much in his fist…

shaowebb

Eh...even I got SFV now. My thoughts are that when it launched, oh yeah it was a ripoff. Its developed into a nice title though. The roster is decent enough in size and it does dangle the carrot to get folks to keep playing. I find it very dull in its system mechanics as it is very very very bare bones, but many purists want as few things as possible to strategize around so they can focus on pure spacing and play I guess. Its frames and online are okay in some areas but if you are playing cross country there are better out there. Balance is good enough to say its a happy land for players casual and competitive alike and entry level skill bar is low to start having fun.

Should it have been best fighter of the year? Subjectively I feel that KOF 14, MKXL, Blaz Blue Central Fiction and KI are all more fun, and that out of all of them likely KOF 14 or BBCF is the best fighter of the year. However KOF 14 still has a decent entry level barrier though it is waaaaaaay smaller than ever it still isn't as easy a game as SF. BBCF is gonna always get turded on in the west because anime is the most divisive there ever was,most divisive there ever is, and the most divisive there ever will be aesthetic to market here. Had it been filled with western looking muscle bound action heroes, comic book dudes, sci fi, fantasy or whatever guys it'd been a massive thing, but as it is folks wont give it a chance. Plus its storyline is all visual novel based and still requires an encyclopedic log of references, footnotes and terms. Overall package for gameplay, excitement, online, modes and content though...well...it cant even be touched. Its way ahead of the rest this year in all areas.

SFV is sorta what I see as the best game by default because overall it just doesn't alienate anyone and has enough of the essentials to satisfy folks who play it. Best game though is in reality either KOF 14 or BBCF. I'm thinking BBCF honestly.

SFV turned into an MMO. With even slower loading times. Lobbies are so bad. Instead of implementing something like Guilty Gear or Skullgirls, I am forced to wait in a row till the matches end. At least SFIV lobbies had only 1 match till it was your turn. Here they can play up to 5 matches in a set. In a lobby with 8 players I have to wait at least 20-30 minutes for a match.
Why not just go into ranked or casual then instead of sitting in a lobby? That's on you, buddy.

shaowebb

Honestly, because of how big a deal alienating players is in deciding a fighter of the year I see SFV being the fighter of the year for a good while till at least MVCI comes out and maybe after. Whether you are alienating players by entry level skill barriers, or aesthetic its the same result. You just have less folks able to enjoy it. My wife HATES listening to the anime fighters I play because of waifu whines moaning out all over the fucking place in Arcana Heart and Nitroplus and weird noises all the time in DFCI and others.

If a game alienates players or aggravates bystanders either by visuals, audio or mechanic bloat it just cant be a game of the year. SFV is super safe. It'll be the game of the year for awhile and likely again due to this IMO.

There are better games, but they just aint for as wide an audience.

That's a silly complaint when you just create your own lobby with whatever rules you prefer. And I think you can even filter lobbies by the number of matches in a set.

Honestly, because of how big a deal alienating players is in deciding a fighter of the year I see SFV being the fighter of the year for a good while till at least MVCI comes out and maybe after. Whether you are alienating players by entry level skill barriers, or aesthetic its the same result. You just have less folks able to enjoy it. My wife HATES listening to the anime fighters I play because of waifu whines moaning out all over the fucking place in Arcana Heart and Nitroplus and weird noises all the time in DFCI and others.

If a game alienates players or aggravates bystanders either by visuals, audio or mechanic bloat it just cant be a game of the year. SFV is super safe. It'll be the game of the year for awhile and likely again due to this IMO.

There are better games, but they just aint for as wide an audience.

*Cough*Tekken*cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom