• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dm2AVdl.jpg

Injustice 2 looking a lot better than I thought it would.

Village

They're nothing alike

Mechanically sure? Although even in that department I actually prefer killer instinct

Thematically, Dark Stalkers and Killer Inistinct are monster mash fighting games. They took a bunch of myths legends and movie schlock and put them in a fighting game. And that's the appeal of it all, that. Its a common trope and its going to continue to persist because for whatever reason this premise continues to a thing someone wants to make. Thematically they are different takes on the exact same thing, unless you are doing that " its different because japan did it " shit then we can end this now.

Theming and design , while gameplay is super important, is what I value most. And I think killer instinct is better at that, and the gameplay thing.

Tripon

That story is Fox not Disney. Fox is making a show not Disney making a comic or game or film using mutants. That is what folks mean by mutant ban. Fox can do what they like with Xmen and Mutants because they got the media rights to most. To make a Marvel game would involve Disney, Fox and possibly a few others depending on who they wanted to use. Anything done would require gaining approval from the respective property owners in how they represented the characters used in the licenses. Thats a touchy thing because unless the Fox and Disney properties ( or whatever property owners come into play) never actually interact in story then its likely the two companies would butt their heads together over whose properties were coming out stronger looking or weaker in the game and story.

There are concerns all over with this sort of thing, but honestly its more possible now than it has been in a long while. Not very possible...but more so given Disney acknowledging the VS fans and with them licensing the product again.
Marvel is co-producing the show.

Village

Eh...thinking something is better because it is new definitely a strange sentiment, and not one I agree with at all.

That and they play nothing at all alike. I wouldn't bother comparing them. I don't get the things I want from VS in KI.

I don't think its better because its new. I think its better because its better, and as the genre evolves I think it would be great if newer fighting games were better than older ones, so the genre doesn't regress.

And thematically I think KI is a better version of a lot of monster mash fighting games, they do the one thing that a lot of them fail to do, which is make them conistant with one universe in terms of design. Bring the visual design of the world together into one well designed game.

I think dark stalkers fails at that utterly and results in a bunch of unmemorable design elements from that game.

They play different, this is true. Although invterms of what those games are, I much prefer how KI plays. But above all else I play fighting games, because I want to be a cool guy fighting a cool guy. Visual appeal is tops for me. Its one of the reason I continue to support skullgirls, but don't actively play skullgirls. That fighting game system is magic, I hate most of the designs in that game and it pushes me away from it.

Skilletor

I don't think its better because its new. I think its better because its better, and as the genre evolves I think it would be great if newer fighting games were better than older ones, so the genre doesn't regress.

And thematically I think KI is a better version of a lot of monster mash fighting games, they do the one thing that a lot of them fail to do, which is make them conistant with one universe in terms of design. Bring the visual design of the world together into one well designed game.

I think dark stalkers fails at that utterly and results in a bunch of unmemorable design elements from that game.

They play different, this is true. Although invterms of what those games are, I much prefer how KI plays. But above all else I play fighting games, because I want to be a cool guy fighting a cool guy. Visual appeal is tops for me. Its one of the reason I continue to support skullgirls, but don't actively play skullgirls. That fighting game system is magic, I hate most of the designs in that game and it pushes me away from it.

I mean...okay, but you literally just said, "A fighting game that came out this generation is better than one that came out in the 90s."

I don't care about arguing a bunch of super subjective things. I agree with you on zero of what you've said.

Just saying that new isn't better than old.

Line_HTX

Honestly, what the hell was the point of having Hsien-Ko in Marvel anyway?

She was completely useless and hardly did any meaningful damage.

NEO0MJ

BBHood is the only good female design in DS.
Can't believe they put Hsien Ko in MVC and not her.

Nah, Hsien Koand Q-Bee are good as well. Though I'mwith you in that BB is the best female character in the gameand one of the best overall.

I'm sure there was a way to make her work in Marvel, they just didn't apply her right.

They tried to make her work by giving her more items to toss in Ultimate, but it didn't work. :(

Real answer: in Marvel, the better your assist, the worse you are on point. Unless your name is Dante, Vergil, Magneto, or Dr. Doom.

Marvel this mahvel that

where's the thirst for a new DankStalkers?
The only thirst people have is to prove they're hardcore and knowledgeable by pretending to like Darkstalkers when it's in. Most people ain't trying to deal the intensity of that game and it walked a fine line between soul breaking and fun anyway.
What thirst? Capcom released that HD collection with GGPO and it sold like 2 copies. Message received loud and clear.
Yep lol

I bought it and I'm not exactly sad nothing came of it. I just want a steam version, so I can play resurrection on PC.
I feel like designs sell a fighting game, Dark stalkers designs aren't... that strong to be quite honest. They wanted to do this monster thing, and while the stages came out great the characters just came out way too separate and weird. Skull girls as much as I will throw criticize at it for having a lot of designs that would work way better if you made them less sexual is still kind of coherent in whatever the vision that had was. Dark stalkers is all over the place, i don't feel on a design aspect sticks in the memories of people.

Tbh I think I think the new killer instinct is a better everything Dark Stalkers ever tried to do in the entirety of its life.
I wanna shake my head so hard my brain will come loose, but I haven't played KI much at all. I just can't see any fighting game today outclassing Vampire Savior in gameplay or design by any great measure. Games like VSav and Melee just got it so right and have aged so well that they just continue to sit at the top. That few people play the former compared to the latter just doesn't mean much to me at all. The Darkstalkers designs have endured in a way most fighters wouldn't if given such few opportunities and such an impossible brand to keep up with (Street Fighter).
Under Night In-Birth PC unlocks in 4 hours. Anyone else looking forward to it? I've always wanted to play this game but I didn't have my ps3 any more.

The response seems pretty quiet compared to the recent PC anime fighters. No new dustloop posts since the release date and the GAF thread disappeared instantly lol. I'm worried it might have these kind of numbers
http://steamcharts.com/app/370460
UNiB was probably my most anticipated release from them this year and I didn't know it was coming out until I read your post today. That should tell you enough about ASW's ability to market games.

You could make literally any character suck on paper no matter how good they were before. Eighting lobotomized her and it's not her fault. No pendulum cancels, no ground shockwave on Tenrai-Ha and no forward or backward momentum on air dash cancelled normals. Her transition to Marvel vs Capcom 3 has to be one of the worst transitions any character has made in any modern fighting game. It was worse Ryu without his Tatsu, Chun Li without lighting legs or Zangief without his SPD/Green Hand. I made a name for myself around minions in here for my opinions on her (probably might be brought up sooner or later), but it's been a while and looking at this with a clear head I think they'd agree with me on this. Vampire Savior is proto Mahvel and they took a character with most of the necessary tools built into her gameplan 19 years ago and took them OUT for a modern Mahvel. No wonder she is booty butt cheeks.

I really like most of the designs in the new KI. I think it's a good extension of what Darkstalkers was doing. Problem is, I really dislike how KI plays.

I wish those designs could be in a darkstalkers game, haha. I still love that series to this day. I love the designs and how the game moved and played.

New KI is closest in design to something new in that vein to me. But like I said, I just personally really hate the gameplay competitively and how the engine/hits feels.

Nightii

Banned
I actually like how KI plays, but hate most of the redesigns and new designs. They're so lifeless and overall bland, especially now that the game has some of the most boring guest characters possible.

Hisako is pretty cool, but she is such a straightforward design that I can't be bothered to give much credit for it.

shaowebb

I really like most of the designs in the new KI. I think it's a good extension of what Darkstalkers was doing. Problem is, I really dislike how KI plays.

I wish those designs could be in a darkstalkers game, haha. I still love that series to this day. I love the designs and how the game moved and played.

New KI is closest in design to something new in that vein to me. But like I said, I just personally really hate the gameplay competitively and how the engine/hits feels.

KI is definitely unique. Auto combos, damage only coming in the form of "potential damage" that only counts if you use an ender, constant breakers and locking people out of breakers, scaling on combos is a visible meter on the screen you watch fill and try to cash out before it fills, and instinct modes drop some of the most insane new moves and buffs I've ever seen. Plus they decided that visual confusion in a fighter, since they can't remove it without killing the spectacle of dem particles, would become incorporated as a legit tactic by making shadows, invisibility and the crazy particle explosions clouding things a part of how they design the balance of characters. Sucks that you can exploit this in game visual confusion with silly shit like picking certain outfits and dark stages to hide (cough cough fulgore EVO 2015 cough cough), but it is its own thing.

KI is so alien to normal fighting game meta that I'd put it as an outlier like Pokken, NRS stuff, and Gundam Fullboost.

NEO0MJ

I actually like how KI plays, but hate most of the redesigns and new designs. They're so lifeless and overall bland, especially now that the game has some of the most boring guest characters possible.

I rather like what they did with a lot of returning characters like Spinal, Fulgore, Cinder & Shadow Jago. Some of the new characters like Sadira, Aganos, and Ken-Ra are also great IMO and not just when it comes to gameplay.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Joey Cuellar ‏@MrWiz 1h1 hour ago

I've just been informed that they are secret Pokemon roaming around the LVCC and Mandalay Bay at Evo! Gotta catch em all! #Evo2016

Everyone's gonna be doing it when they're not playing their matches, DansGame

Everyone storms the stage at once during grand finals for a pokemon

Tripon

On VSav, I'll just settle on the recent collection to be ported to PS4/XB1 and PC.

Some games aren't meant for mass appeal. Some games should stay as part of the niche area that they can thrive in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom