• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

I thought the KoFXIV tutorial was pretty terrible. Some of it isn't even coherent if you're a newbie.

I don't think it's good. Decent, maybe. The stuff about cancelling moves into other moves need to be explained better is one thing off the top of my head that I would like to see improved. Still, it just shows how poor the implementation SFV tutorial system was.

I mean... it's pretty straight forward A B C D and a combination of stuff, right? Shouldn't be too difficult to be better than SFV.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

One day, I like a game to go into depth about the idea of spacing and hit boxes. Even though I know that most people have no perception of it and it wouldn't do most Fighting games good to make casuals aware of it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What was wrong with the tutorial in SFV, exactly? Short, gets people's feet wet, teaches them most of the basic mechanics, drapes it in some light story, doesn't throw walls of text at you (perhaps the biggest sin of tutorial modes; one of my few criticisms of Skullgirls' mode although I think that one takes pretty good care of phrasing things plainly), etc. I wouldn't say it's perfect, but I think it plays better to who it's intended to than some other allegedly good tutorials in games and is easily one of the better ones.

I get the feeling people (namely hardcore fighting game players) want these tutorials to be info dumps (for themselves), but I can't imagine any casual gamer staying awake through the Xrd tutorial.

Minecraft is the biggest game of all time and every single person who plays it has visited some wiki for crafting recipes, arguably more fundamental to playing Minecraft than anything in the SFV tutorial. Ditto for things like LoL for things you need to keep up competitively - IF you care that much. It's a smaller deal than people and reviewers make it out to be, and in my experience people tend to fit squarely into "I'm just dicking around and need someone to tell me what button does what" or "I want to get better at this and where I get that information doesn't matter (although it's YouTube guides 999 times out of 1000) or raise my blood pressure."

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I also feel like people forget about the demonstrations, maybe because they came later. They are actually pretty good and character specific.

20160720174201_1lgktm.jpg

Stuff like that.

Tripon

No, because the tutorial doesnt actually help you play a game against another person.

The demonstrations added later are even poorer since you can't even test out what they are telling you. It'll be easier or better to just put on a YouTube clip and rewatch that while you test stuff in training mode.

Edit: the actual stuff in demonstration might be interesting, but because there is no interaction, it's was hard for me to maintain interest.

_____

If you are still looking for a fight stick, the razor atrox 360 version is still $80(reg price $200), and the Madcatz TES+ is $150(reg price $200).

Edit: on Amazon.

Nuu

Banned
I'm not going to lie. After playing the game a few times at tournaments and playing the demo, I think King of Fighters XIV is pretty bad.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
No, because the tutorial doesnt actually help you play a game against another person.

The demonstrations added later are even poorer since you can't even test out what they are telling you. It'll be easier or better to just put on a YouTube clip and rewatch that while you test stuff in training mode.
What does this mean?

Related: I don't really buy the argument that people have zero intuitive sense of spacing and that advanced footsie knowledge is required to play a game against another person. That's what I mean when I think this often comes across as hardcore players wanting tutorial modes for themselves or to mold Joe Blow into them vs. giving them sufficient tools to start and begin learning via playing or seeking advanced knowledge which will always be better served by YouTube tutorials.

If fighting games want to have good tutorials, they need to link/index key community content from within the game like Rocket League. That's how people, even kids, prefer to consume their knowledge, not walls of text interrupting gameplay telling you about what a roman cancel is.

EDIT: And even still people would probably prefer loading that video up on their phone/laptop/tablet instead where they are logged into their YT account.

Line_HTX

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

One day, I like a game to go into depth about the idea of spacing and hit boxes. Even though I know that most people have no perception of it and it wouldn't do most Fighting games good to make casuals aware of it.

If people want to learn about hitboxes and spacing, that's the time to explain it to them. Otherwise, it'd be an influx of "the fuck that hitbox is OP!" etc etc

Tripon

What does this mean?

Related: I don't really buy the argument that people have zero intuitive sense of spacing and that advanced footsie knowledge is required to play a game against another person. That's what I mean when I think this often comes across as hardcore players wanting tutorial modes for themselves or to mold Joe Blow into them vs. giving them sufficient tools to start and begin learning via playing or seeking advanced knowledge which will always be better served by YouTube tutorials.

If fighting games want to have good tutorials, they need to link/index key community content from within the game like Rocket League. That's how people, even kids, prefer to consume their knowledge, not walls of text interrupting gameplay telling you about what a roman cancel is.

EDIT: And even still people would probably prefer loading that video up on their phone/laptop/tablet instead where they are logged into their YT account.

Tutorials in general don't tell you what to do when you whiff a move, if you can react or not when blocking above, or what is a hit confirm or combo is.

Hell, the trials in SFV assumes you know what combos are and ask you to do the standard one as the first trial for most of the cast.

If I was just playing this casually, it would have blown my mind that there was a way to chain moves together to form combos. Then you have to learn the right combination of button presses and timing in order to do it.

How many games that aren't Fighters that ask you to hit different buttons repeatedly in sequence with tight frame windows in order to succeed? Maybe rhythm games.

As for being able to understand spacing on an intuitive level, I might agree, but I see so many beginning level players not understand where the hotboxes are on a character to believe otherwise.

Perhaps if Street Fighter used hotboxes that wasnt squares and were formed around the model instead, it'll be easier for players to be intuitive guess what their moves can do.

Slaythe

I think Revelator set the bar too high for tutorials in fighting games.

If you expect that level of info and "hand holding" for every game, you're gonna be disappointed.

KOF 14 kinda shows you extreme basics and then lets you do your thing. It doesn't show show intuitive ways to build combos or defend yourself.

Heh. It's hard to gauge the demo because the AI is brain dead. The pacing feels off fighting it.

VariantX

I also feel like people forget about the demonstrations, maybe because they came later. They are actually pretty good and character specific.

Stuff like that.

They need to be interactive. It's easier to internalize things when you do them yourself. The content in the SFV tutorials aren't bad though, they're enough to get you started on a basic level.

Dahbomb

SFV "tutorials" are boring info dumps you can find better on YouTube where you can more easily stop and rewind stuff if needed. Tutorials need to be more interactive or even better, woven into the single player where you learn stuff piece wise in objective based game play.

The original Starcraft is a difficult multiplayer game but it's one of the biggest RTSes ever and was the gate way RTS for many people despite RTSes being as hard if not harder to approach than fighters. That game didn't have a tutorial because the tutorial was seamlessly woven into the single player campaign in piece wise manner.

Line_HTX

The ESPN top 8 for poverty bros who couldn't see it/Non-americans who got shafted

Also

Hey, apparently, there's a new docu about NYC Arcades with some NLBC names like Henry Cen. BibleThump

Nooo, that is missing what is arguably the best and most simplistic opening segment to get the majority of viewers who were uninitiated by Street Fighter before hooked in. You could not ask for a better opening segment by Mike and Seth.

Also, Long Island Joe's moment with the EVO music going to commercial:

Joe ‏@thisislijoe 40m40 minutes ago

So this is what it looked like on espn.

Wow....

https://vimeo.com/175569990

Huge ty to seth and mike....

mbpm1

Nooo, that is missing what is arguably the best and most simplistic opening segment to get the majority of viewers who were uninitiated by Street Fighter before hooked in. You could not ask for a better opening segment by Mike and Seth.

Idk why it's missing it, but here's some of the opening for people who want to see it by someone else

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210655467]I have no idea what I'm doing.

pYDjnQ.gif

I can end this in the dash hit throw but the oki seems terrible. The rekkas have weird juggles that don't seem to finish. The DP is ok I guess.
[/QUOTE]

After qcf B B you can go into rekkas with the kick ender but you have to delay it. If you want oki use the D version of the upkicks instead and end with rdp+B.
Also you'll want to cancel that close C into df+D regardless before any of that.

i caught up with cpt because i wanted to hear what they had to say about daigo and the way they spoke about him sounded like they've haven't been following the scene for the last 5 or so years.

they also love to circlejerk over justin wong so it doesn't surprise me but it was still embarrassing to watch.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
i caught up with cpt because i wanted to hear what they had to say about daigo and the way they spoke about him sounded like they've haven't been following the scene for the last 5 or so years.

You say that, but there's plenty on GAF, Reddit, etc. who talk about Daigo like he's still on his 2009-2010 era dominance.

But Daigo did do pretty well in the events he went to in 2015, as far as I remember

Losing to Lupe and then Justin Wong is pretty embarrassing, though

Crocodile

Tekken 7 had a really great Top 8, and Poongko was nothing but smiles and had the time of his life.

Pokken looked like doo-doo to me.

Morrigan winning EVO finally means I can stop caring. It was way long overdue. :p

I haven't heard a lot of buzz for Pokken. Is it at risk of not coming back next year?

I think a good way to balance Akuma's DPs in Tekken would be to pull an SFV, and make his recovery a counterhit state. That would enable characters to pull off absurd damage combos, which would be a fair trade I think.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I think a good way to balance Akuma's DPs in Tekken would be to pull an SFV, and make his recovery a counterhit state. That would enable characters to pull off absurd damage combos, which would be a fair trade I think.

It's not really needed, you can already get a full juggle combo punish off of a whiffed/blocked DP, it's super unsafe.

Line_HTX

I haven't heard a lot of buzz for Pokken. Is it at risk of not coming back next year?

I don't know and I'm not one to say whether it's at risk or not.

All I can say is that matches look like they take a long while, and it seems like complete ass to setup because you have to have two Wii U's to connect to each other, I think?

I dunno, it looks like one of those that's for fun casually and not for a quick tourney match.

Dahbomb

The ESPN Broadcast was the opposite of the twitch stream. The crowd is way too loud and is overbearing on the commentary can hardly hear the game sound or the commentary. But I think prefer this over the muted Twitch crowd.

mbpm1

Every blocked DP is already a free launch, which leads to the most damaging combos.

The ESPN Broadcast was the opposite of the twitch stream. The crowd is way too loud and is overbearing on the commentary can hardly hear the game sound or the commentary. But I think prefer this over the muted Twitch crowd.

listening to it on watchESPN is the ideal state I think. Crowd levels are balanced nicely in that version.

Line_HTX

SFV counterhit state on recovery is not necessary. Akuma is in for a big world of hurt if the DP is blocked. It looks like it's -17 or something so you can go for a big launcher to start off all that damage.

kirblar

Pumping the commentary into the crowd was an absolutely inane decision.

Beats

Maybe? EVO is one of the events in the competitive circuit that the The Pokemon Company is running for the game. Only way I can see it being there next year is if the TPC continues to keep the game in their tournament series. They're also still updating the game, releasing new characters and it didn't sell poorly. So I doubt they'll drop support for it. But I dunno.

If it's there next year I hope they work out the schedule issues. Pokken Top 8 almost took as long as SFV and ran over the time that it was given.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Pumping the commentary into the crowd was an absolutely inane decision.

It's doubly odd as I'm pretty sure Mandalay seats have headphone jacks, they use it to pump commentary to people at live UFC events, they should have just used that.

vulva

Commentary in the Manadalay Bay felt weird as hell. Not just because of it being commentary but because the sound was quieter as a result. This took away that sense of impact from previous years. When someone lands a CC, it should BOOM in the crowd.

The hassle with setting up tournament Pokken is a problem. Even if it gets a NX port, the perspective kinda necessitates one separate display per player.

Tripon

Eh, Tekken 7 also has the perspective change and allowing people to play head to head on two monitors. I'm sure with the NX version will allow you to do the same thing with only one console. It'll be fine. Namco-Bandai knows what they are doing.

Line_HTX

It's doubly odd as I'm pretty sure Mandalay seats have headphone jacks, they use it to pump commentary to people at live UFC events, they should have just used that.

This needs to be used so that players won't have to listen to the commentary, as much as they try to ignore it.

Please have UltraDavid and Sajam commentate SFV Top 8, DeKappa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom