• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Best Fighting Game
Dragon Ball FighterZ
(Arc System Works/Bandai Namco Entertainment for PC, PS4, Xbox One)

It's kind of a no-brainer.

Edit: Just saw this on kappa. Pretty damn cool.

YvOqgoq.gif

shaowebb

It's nice that they have a reference point from the manga. Easier to create.

Pretty certain capcom could've pulled a few choice references for MVCI characters in terms of lighting, shading, and anatomy that would've turned out better than what they had at E3. Its like they hardly used references on a lot of details while ASW used references for even the most miniscule details.

Best fighter of show by a clean and undisputable margin...Dragonball Fighter Z.
Wasn't even a surprise.

Here's hoping capcom waits to show us anything else until after they put some serious polish on this thing. It could use the relaunch of teaser media to try and restir interest. Hell I'd even reshow some clips of the story demo with polish so folks with the demo can clearly compare and hype the improvements.

BadWolf

From the actual game itself to the way it was received, DBF was the easy winner.

Here's hoping capcom waits to show us anything else until after they put some serious polish on this thing. It could use the relaunch of teaser media to try and restir interest. Hell I'd even reshow some clips of the story demo with polish so folks with the demo can clearly compare and hype the improvements.

Chances of a pre-launch upgrade are very low.

A post launch graphical upgrade patch is an option but has Capcom ever done such a thing? Any examples of them significantly upgrading a game's visuals with a free patch after launch?

Shouta

Do you remember the place? I'm going back this winter. Would love to try it.

I tried karaage at a few places and at a outdoor food festival to try and eat from a spread f places. It was good and I liked the flavor variations between the spots, but there was a kick missing there for me from all of them.

I don't remember exactly where, just that it was in Shinjuku near the Taito station everybody went to for SF4. I could ask but I don't know if they would remember, lol.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm hype for DBZ because ASW.

I tried watching the show after E3.

What a mistake.

DBZ was never good. It was just hype.

I got hooked on that show in high school in the late '90s, back when it was first getting popular in the US, and I think a major reason for its popularity was that long-running serial epics just weren't a thing on TV at the time. It filled a pretty unique niche. Any other action cartoon that I remember watching from back then was more of a monster-of-the-week type of affair, where continuity was minimal and the stakes were reset to 0 with each episode. DBZ was the only show I watched that always ended on a cliffhanger and always compelled me to tune in the next day to see how the heroes escaped increasingly dire situations.

So there were lots of cool, dramatic moments, but they were spread thin across lots of terribly paced, often poorly dubbed garbage that eventually buckled under the weight of its own tired, silly tropes. I still look back on it fondly (and am actually catching up with Super due to renewed interest from DBFZ), but the idea of binge-watching the original American run in 2017 with no prior knowledge of the series sounds like a pretty horrible slog.

I honestly think that the fan-made abridged series is the only genuinely good version of the show, but even then, it took forever for those guys to hit their stride as well and a lot of the jokes don't even work unless you're familiar with the source material that they're riffing on.

DBZ was never good. It was just hype.

I got hooked on that show in high school in the late '90s, back when it was first getting popular in the US, and I think a major reason for its popularity was that long-running serial epics just weren't a thing on TV at the time. It filled a pretty unique niche. Any other action cartoon that I remember watching from back then was more of a monster-of-the-week type of affair, where continuity was minimal and the stakes were reset to 0 with each episode. DBZ was the only show I watched that always ended on a cliffhanger and always compelled me to tune in the next day to see how the heroes escaped increasingly dire situations.

So there were lots of cool, dramatic moments, but they were spread thin across lots of terribly paced, often poorly dubbed garbage that eventually buckled under the weight of its own tired, silly tropes. I still look back on it fondly (and am actually catching up with Super due to renewed interest from DBFZ), but the idea of binge-watching the original American run in 2017 with no prior knowledge of the series sounds like a pretty horrible slog.

I honestly think that the fan-made abridged series is the only genuinely good version of the show, but even then, it took forever for those guys to hit their stride as well and a lot of the jokes don't even work unless you're familiar with the source material that they're riffing on.

The Funimation dub of DBZ is the worst way to experience the series imo. English DB Kai, Japanese DBZ or DB Kai, and the manga are all better. It had some good music though.

NEO0MJ

DBZ is one of those things that I loved when I was young but don't want to watch these days because I know it will be crap, so it's better to just leave it as a nice memory. No problem with playing video games featuring it though, as long as they're good.

Sayad

DBZ is one of those things that I loved when I was young but don't want to watch these days because I know it will be crap, so it's better to just leave it as a nice memory. No problem with playing video games featuring it though, as long as they're good.
It's unwatchable now mainly due to the pacing, just takes way too long for anything to happen, this get fixed in the abridged version though, puts it inline with current day shounen stuff(excluding HxH) at least, fights and hype stuff still hold up if you cut the stalling.

Don't care if this isn't cannon, fuck father son kamehameha, first SSJ transformation or whet ever classic moment, this is by far my favorite DBZ moment now:
https://youtu.be/zB0dHXhaqqY?t=11m49s

It's just... Perfect! :D

Sayad

Abridged is funny but if you actually care about the story it's not really a replacement for the real thing.

Core story is still fully intact, it's mostly just side details that get changed, doesn't bother me. Though this might just be where I'm coming from, ie, abridged is more faithful to the source than the official Arabic dub of the original DB was. ;p

Kai is terrible in every possible way. Phoned in VA, trash script rewrites, bad pacing due to them recutting old footage not actually redoing the series, terrible recrop for HD that literally cuts out 25% of the screen, weak sound track, and a absolutely unforgivably ugly recoloring with digital paint.

God it's so bad. Why do you people recommend it? Casuse it's shorter? That's it?

If you want the shorter more concise version of the story just read the manga. It's easy to find online.
After you're done look up your favorite moments on youtube to see them animated.

Dahbomb

Namco always delivers on that front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF1zdq6DBiw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WTcZHVoYos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjvz7gAOYeE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_JWupmVeY

By contrast I haven't seen many comparisons for US comic based games to original panels.
That's because there are so many of them and many different iterations of them.

I bet some random kick Batman does in some Injustice game is done in some comic somewhere. It's just that no one is going to go through all the comics analyzing every Batman kick in existence.

Only anime weebs do stuff like that. :p

I bet some random kick Batman does in some Injustice game is done in some comic somewhere. It's just that no one is going to go through all the comics analyzing every Batman kick in existence.

Comic nerds should step up their game.

Village

There are iconic comic poses, that I wish were used more. But neother injustice, or Marvel does that. While marvel, in the case of supes despite him being an evil facist asshole , has his superman pose. And there are some interesting things done with super girl, but a lot of that stuff, seems generalized and made up. This is especially necessary in a game series where another character, can be a skin.

Marvel doesn't quite have that, but it has completely made up shit in a lot of regards, especially for older characters in the franchise. The marvel versions of marvel characters might as well be new anime versions.

And I think it works for what it is

Sayad

Comic nerds should step up their game.
They would if they had something to work with, it's not like there's a lack of comic fans who memories 30+ years worth of comic panels like the back of their hand and are ready to put you back in your place with evidence the moment you think super hero A has a chance against super hero B!

Problem is there's less iconic specific postures when every "special" move have been drawn countless times by different artists.

Dahbomb

They would if they had something to work with, it's not like there's a lack of comic fans who memories 30+ years worth of comic panels like the back of their hand and are ready to put you back in your place with evidence the moment you think super hero A has a chance against super hero B!
That's like one dude on GAF, some on now son.

Honestly, most action in DC and Marvel is pretty garbage. A lot of manga artists do a much better job of conveying motion and impact within their panels, like the punches in Hajime No Ippo look so godlike and you can tell when something like a special move lands and you see the reaction and impact. Generally a lot of cape comics don't this very well, and in a way you do see the effect of something happen but not always the lead up, impact, and follow through. Which is important for something like Berserk, you know the Dragonslayer is heavy as fuck because Miura spends panels to convey it as such and when it actually hits the opponent, you see them split and obliterated by it.

There are some decent action in comics like the 2014 run of Moon Knight, but sadly it doesn't feel like there are as many as there should be, since a lot of people like the idea of superheroes fighting. But really, the comic medium is not too big in the grand scheme of things especially compared to manga, since a lot of popularity of it is actually the usage of the brands in many other entertainment mediums.

Top Bottom