• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Kai is terrible in every possible way. Phoned in VA, trash script rewrites, bad pacing due to them recutting old footage not actually redoing the series, terrible recrop for HD that literally cuts out 25% of the screen, weak sound track, and a absolutely unforgivably ugly recoloring with digital paint.

God it's so bad. Why do you people recommend it? Casuse it's shorter? That's it?

If you want the shorter more concise version of the story just read the manga. It's easy to find online.
After you're done look up your favorite moments on youtube to see them animated.

The Bluray set is 4:3, not cropped.

If you're watching it in English, the Kai voice acting is significantly better than in DBZ since the actors actually have some experience and aren't amateurs anymore. The original English dub of DBZ drastically changed Goku's personality from what he's like in the Japanese version, stripping out most of the character traits that made him interesting. While Kai's English dub doesn't completely fix this, it moves him in the right direction.

I'm hype for DBZ because ASW.

I tried watching the show after E3.

What a mistake.
So the original Dragonball is a lighthearted series about a little superhuman kid that can kick everyone's ass. I find it enjoyable.

Dragonball Z is about omg super power next level rawr fights that take 10 episodes each.

I don't know anything about GT other than that it is universally considered shit.

Dragonball Super goes back to the series roots, and tones the time fights take down.

mitchlol

Man the devs for MVC:I seem like their in total damage control. Complaints about the roster saying people want the tools to create an identity. That coupled with the massive backlash against the graphics. It looks like the MVC:I ship is already taking on water. Personally I look at the character design before I look at their moveset. Often if a character looks cool I'm inclined to work with the mechanics and moves I've been given. Take Alex for example, didn't really like his initial SFV design or any of his alternate costumes, then the Halloween costume came out and I thought it looked cool so I started playing him then when the fireman costume came out I was even more enthusiastic about playing him.

Devs are crazy to think that people are only choosing a character based on the feel. Aesthetic is just as if not more important to get them to try a character.

Dahbomb

Devs are crazy to think that people are only choosing a character based on the feel. Aesthetic is just as if not more important to get them to try a character.
Devs don't even think that themselves, this is just a case of PR lip service gone terribly wrong.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Original Dragon Ball is the best. It was non stop comedy compared to episodes and episodes of powering up and insulting each other in Z.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Early Dragonball "humor" is really hard for me to swallow. I can stomach Roshi's "comic relief pervert" shtick for only so long.

That series didn't get consistently good until the 22nd budokai tournament. Late DB / early Z is when it was at its best.

Dragonball Super goes back to the series roots, and tones the time fights take down.

The biggest reason why the pacing in Super is better is because the anime is written first, instead of being a filler-ridden manga adaptation like DB/Z were.

Dahbomb

Yeah most of Dragonball humor was kinda bad/mediocre with the same slapstick comedy repeated throughout.

Late DB/early DBZ is definitely peak Dragonball in general.

Village

The biggest reason why the pacing in Super is better is because the anime is written first, instead of being a filler-ridden manga adaptation like DB/Z were.

There quite a few people who think the pacing is slow and boring and just want the fighting.

Its... decisive. Which makes sense. Because when you say " its more like dragonball" there are people who go " I only care about the Z part". I imagine some people are gonne prefer the more... fighter parts.

Dahbomb

There quite a few people who think the pacing is slow and boring and just want the fighting.

Its... decisive. Which makes sense. Because when you say " its more like dragonball" there are people who go " I only care about the Z part". I imagine some people are gonne prefer the more... fighter parts.
Those people are dumb and they have nostalgic glasses on because they clearly forgot the pacing of fights in the DBZ show.

Like in an episode with a "battle" happening, you would have the two combatants boasting about their power level or quivering in fear, while other side characters in the battle zone are commentating on power levels/stakes, in the meantime some witch on Earth is looking into her crystal ball with all the human characters watching the fight like some Wrestling match AND King Kai in some dimension also commentating on the fight. This repeats for 50 episodes and the plot/battles barely progress. The actual time spent fighting in DBZ is very low relative to the other shit you have to sift through.

Dragon Ball Super is light years ahead in terms of speed and pacing. In 90 episodes we have had 10 times the amount of fights in equivalent DBZ episodes. We are also multiple arcs in and have gone through multiple tournament arcs.

We had a total of ONE tournament arc in DBZ and it was still half assed. That's what people ACTUALLY want out of a DBZ anime and that's what tournament arcs provide... just endless supply of battles without a need to explain why the fights are happening or the stakes involved. Hell Dragon Ball Super actually somewhat found a way to make side characters somewhat relevant which is something DBZ regularly failed to do. Now the DBZ nerds can actually realize that Tien ain't shit even in human power levels.

Village

Really?

The last 5 minutes of Namek took two weeks. And that was with 5 new episodes airing per week.

Not if you read the manga, or watch kai or watch it after the fact. Along with that, the issues with Z doesn't really negate supers' criticism. I think everyone, mocks " THE PLANET WILL BLOW UP IN FIVE MINUTES" but that doesn't really fix super does it. Its just a " well this thing is also bad" , I mean yeah but that's a show created in the 80's meant to follow a manga so it had to elongate the length for that, and this is a show not following a manga and the pacing is still off in a for many. Like that's bad, they know its bad, but it doesn't fix super.

These people either haven't watched the show or are idiots.

It could be both.

Or they have different opinions.

That.

The Bluray set is 4:3, not cropped.

If you're watching it in English, the Kai voice acting is significantly better than in DBZ since the actors actually have some experience and aren't amateurs anymore. The original English dub of DBZ drastically changed Goku's personality from what he's like in the Japanese version, stripping out most of the character traits that made him interesting. While Kai's English dub doesn't completely fix this, it moves him in the right direction.

English Kai is phoned in and has a garage new script. Why do you think that because it's been longer the performances are better? They're clearly not. Actors are more likely to put in less effort as they get older not the other way around. You sound like someone who bought a pitch from Funimation when they were trying to sell you on Kai. Kai was a low budget, low effort cash grab that got cancelled originally cause it was so bad. Nothing more.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
When recording Kai the actors had years of voice acting experience as opposed to seconds when they started in the middle of the Freeza arc.

Green as baby shit and it showed.

shaowebb

Its been busy but for those that missed it The Killer Instinct Breakdown vid for EAGLE is finally up!

Character is one folks have waited on for a looooooooong time.

EDIT: Oh wow...bird can be used to make anything safe, redirect your air moves to do like kind of a triangle dash shenanigan pseudo thing, and when it magnetically recovers your arrows or in general grabs them the arrows hit on the way back. That means I can expend my 12 arrows zoning it up and the act of retrieving them becomes a mixup unto itself. Plus the dude has a command jump and lots of good arrow tricks like firing it into the bird's sonic attack to make it faster or chargin it up to make it unblockable. Fire 1, 2,3 or 4 arrows at a time and since first hits get damage bonus you can make all 4 arrows get the bonus if they all hit, plus a slide...oh yes this dude is simple to use and tricky as fuck with his shenanigans. I even got a low arrow and a shitload of overheads to abuse. Instinct makes bird attack after all button attacks to swipe at you for enhanced pressure. Shadow arrows didn't look like they took arrow stock.

DOUBLE EDIT: LOL! Rash can eat the arrows mid flight and if he does they are gone for good XD
Rash is finally a counterpick lol.

Quebaz

As a non US DB fan, English Kai is better than English Z just on perfomances alone. Goku's "I am" scene on Namek is a clear example.

As a non US DB fan, English Kai is better than English Z just on perfomances alone. Goku's "I am" scene on Namek is a clear example.

That's a good example. Another is when Goku asks Krillin not to kill Vegeta. (paraphrasing)

DBZ: "Let's show Vegeta how merciful we are!" (completely made-up lines for the English dub)

Kai: "He's the strongest guy I've ever met. I want to get the chance to fight him again." (much closer to the original source material)

BadWolf

The arcade version of KoF14 launched in Japan today.

Seems they are giving players a bunch of control layouts, with access to various shortcut buttons. Iirc 13 arcade only gave access to two layouts (Type 1 and 2 from the pic) with no SC buttons.

El Sloth

Banned
Have they said anything about fighters in DBFZ having more than one assist, or are we going to be stuck with a single assist per character?

The dream is being able to choose any assist you like from their move-list like in SG, but I'm not fool enough to ever expect that.

Rhapsody

Banned
Dragon Ball FighterZ is playable at AX, guess I'm playing it.

As a fan of DB, ASW, and MvC2 and 3, my hype isn't as high as other people though lol

It looks cool and fun at least.

Top Bottom