• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Dahbomb

Most of those people have at one point shat on SF4 as well.

In fact the number of people who have publicly shat on SF4 is probably higher.

Same for SF3.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Tokido to play dbz.

Dobs5dW.jpg

Tripon

Speaking of the paid mods for SFV, looks like Capcom sent a DMCA to all the major ones. RIP idiots who tried to lock their mods under paywall.

Village

I don't think he understands that the reason they got the DMCA was because they were hiding materials who for the most part were created by capcom behind a paywall. Paytreon support and a day late release is different from " you can't use my mods unless you pay me" because then you are holding copyrighted materials that were for the most part made by someone else , behind a paywall they don't have access to.

Its like if Team Four Star started charging for DBZA per episode, yeah you transformed it but even shit like MST3k or sampling in music have to pay the people who created the original content to use it for that product , they have done none of that.

I don't think he understands that the reason they got the DMCA was because they were hiding materials who for the most part were created by capcom behind a paywall. Paytreon support and a day late release is different from " you can't use my mods unless you pay me" because then you are holding copyrighted materials that were for the most part made by someone else , behind a paywall they don't have access to.

Its like if Team Four Star started charging for DBZA per episode, yeah you transformed it but even shit like MST3k or sampling in music have to pay the people who created the original content to use it for that product , they have done none of that.

But don't you see how he's making SFV more popular with his mods!?

I get wanting to be paid for your work but dude is in the modding business, one of the greyest of areas in gaming. He should know that this could happened.

.la1n

Making a game more popular or not they had to have known what they were doing wasn't on the up and up. I don't think pointing out "well those other guys are making money doing stuff" is going help their counter argument.

.la1n

I hope it does, in the sense that nobody should be putting their unofficial mods behind a paywall.

Yeah. Maybe I am just old but it blows my mind that anyone would think putting mods of all things behind a paywall would be a good idea.

Teepo671

People who have been critical or disgusted with SFV in some way.

Aris
Valle
Infiltration
Punk
Daigo
Bonchan
Mike Ross
Gootecks
FChamp
Chris G
Max
Phenom
DSP
Phil Spencer
Ultra David
Angry Joe

I'm surprised about Valle. I follow him on twitter and watch his stream fairly often and I've never seen him be anything but positive towards the game.
A little sad about how much aris shits on SFV these days. I remember him being really positive about it before it launched and seemingly enjoying the game the first few months. I stopped watching twitch for a bit, come back a little later and find he's trashes the game on a regular basis now. D:

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Valle said it earlier in the year. Said basically the same thing Daigo said. Didn't say he didn't like the game, just that it is stale.

CO_Andy

Khaledentar and BrutalAce's mods became free after a month last time i checked (which was a long time ago).

If we get more mods out of it and if they're released for free eventually then i don't mind.

I'd be more surprised if players never said anything critical of a game they've been playing for this long. We should definitely keep tabs though, that's totally hype

Daigo is literally asked what he would change about the game. He didn't say in response 'the game is completely perfect, sir I can offer no improvements'. ADD HIM TO THE LIST!

Line_HTX

People who have been critical or disgusted with SFV in some way.

Aris
Valle
Infiltration
Punk
Daigo
Bonchan
Mike Ross
Gootecks
FChamp
Chris G
Max
Phenom
DSP
Phil Spencer
Ultra David
Angry Joe

Look at that list. The very fact that you have UltraDavid, Max, Infiltration, Valle, and now Daigo even saying these things should be clear irrefutable proof about the state of the game. I don't know what that guy flat out dismissed Daigo's opinion when Daigo's matters the most.

Dahbomb

He has clearly said on his stream that he liked S1 of SFV (much better than SF4 in general which he hates) but did not like the direction for S2.

I think quite a few people on that list are on the same boat. They liked season 1 but wanted some better changes, instead season 2 made it worse which made the backlash from these community players worse.

Anne

I think the biggest difference in SFV is the feeling I get around locals and events. It's not like "oh big shot players say it sucks" is the only thing happening. I don't know how many of y'all are actually at locals or events or at least talk to people in your region that are, but the vibe is a lot different from SF4, especially in the early years.

We started ranbats for SFV a couple months ago and it was pretty successful, but the mood about it at the arcade has already started to slip pretty hard. People stopped showing up, and most of the ones that do all kind of just mope and get all frustrated when they need to play. SF4 was never this bad with stuff like this. Like, sure it had hella problems, but most people who showed up to play were at least looking forward to getting some games in. SFV people are dodging it unless they gotta be in the tournament. Shit's whack.

The worst part is that the majority of SFV players were all new players. Only like 2 regulars who were around for SF4 show up for SFV and they are only in it for the prize(one year free entry to the arcade) and to have something to play. The rest are all new guys that are bleeding off or getting really frustrated. Sucks to see new players show up and then just get like this.

You don't really hear shit like that talked about a lot. It's just "top player said X". Top players don't mean shit when the pot monsters and local communities are having issues. From what I gather talking to other players that are on a real, local level there are similar stories everywhere. No offense, but I doubt there are very few people on GAF that are tapped into what's happening on a level like that since most are just stream monsters and online warriors.

mbpm1

I think the biggest difference in SFV is the feeling I get around locals and events. It's not like "oh big shot players say it sucks" is the only thing happening. I don't know how many of y'all are actually at locals or events or at least talk to people in your region that are, but the vibe is a lot different from SF4, especially in the early years.

We started ranbats for SFV a couple months ago and it was pretty successful, but the mood about it at the arcade has already started to slip pretty hard. People stopped showing up, and most of the ones that do all kind of just mope and get all frustrated when they need to play. SF4 was never this bad with stuff like this. Like, sure it had hella problems, but most people who showed up to play were at least looking forward to getting some games in. SFV people are dodging it unless they gotta be in the tournament. Shit's whack.

The worst part is that the majority of SFV players were all new players. Only like 2 regulars who were around for SF4 show up for SFV and they are only in it for the prize(one year free entry to the arcade) and to have something to play. The rest are all new guys that are bleeding off or getting really frustrated. Sucks to see new players show up and then just get like this.

You don't really hear shit like that talked about a lot. It's just "top player said X". Top players don't mean shit when the pot monsters and local communities are having issues. From what I gather talking to other players that are on a real, local level there are similar stories everywhere. No offense, but I doubt there are very few people on GAF that are tapped into what's happening on a level like that since most are just stream monsters and online warriors.
"But 500k watching evo tho"

"Maybe that's only one community among hundreds"

We have like 2 Street Fighter players left in our scene everyone else has moved on to other games. Street Fighter hasn't been featured at our weeklies for 2 months.

A lot of this is true in my experience, it feels like people are more excited and invested in the players rather than the game. I've had a lot of fun playing at these tournaments, but theres always an air that people aren't really enjoying the game as much as they want to. The problems and direction of game have tipped the negativity that is in community into the majority which is certainly not healthy.

If new people are just constantly seeing a stream of negativity, its gotta be discouraging. Like almost every time I see a post on reddit about getting into SFV theres a few comments saying "SFV is shit, play Guilty Gear" or "Here is SFV problem's and why you shouldn't play." The current perception that new players are seeing is not a good one.

Pompadour

He has clearly said on his stream that he liked S1 of SFV (much better than SF4 in general which he hates) but did not like the direction for S2.

I think quite a few people on that list are on the same boat. They liked season 1 but wanted some better changes, instead season 2 made it worse which made the backlash from these community players worse.

I'm genuinely curious how much of the criticism is "I don't like Street Fighter V" vs. "I don't like Season 2." I'm not feigning obtuseness either because, in general, I don't think people really know if they'll like or dislike a fighting game in the long run as long as it's competently made. Unlike casual players, SFV was pretty well liked around launch mostly because it had several antidotes to issues people hated about SF4. Of course, after a year people begin to see some of these corrections as overcorrections that create new problems.

That's why I think Season 2 really drives home what people don't like about SFV. Right when the consensus of V was becoming "this game rewards offense too much" S2 hits and defense is nerfed harder. Like if Capcom didn't release S2 until after Evo would they have gone in the opposite direction and, for instance, made V-Reversals better and increased the amount of meterless reversals?

A lot of this is true in my experience, it feels like people are more excited and invested in the players rather than the game. I've had a lot of fun playing at these tournaments, but theres always an air that people aren't really enjoying the game as much as they want to. The problems and direction of game have tipped the negativity that is in community into the majority which is certainly not healthy.

If new people are just constantly seeing a stream of negativity, its gotta be discouraging. Like almost every time I see a post on reddit about getting into SFV theres a few comments saying "SFV is shit, play Guilty Gear" or "Here is SFV problem's and why you shouldn't play." The current perception that new players are seeing is not a good one.

Yeah, that's a big problem. I see the same posts you're seeing all the time. The frustrating thing there is people are genuinely coming in and asking "I want to get into a new fighting game but I've heard bad things about SFV. I plan on mostly playing online so what should I get?" and they'll get top comments like "SFV is dying and the online is trash. Play GGXrd instead." That's being blatantly disingenuous just to try and swing someone over to your game.

But I don't blame people trying to expand their player base. This is Capcom's mess and they'll have to clean it up. If the image of the game was more positive than people wouldn't post things about SFV that are pretty much false and they wouldn't be upvoted.

Chavelo

Same shit can be said for ABQ. Tekken is currently carrying the local community since TTT1 used to be such a huge game over here, but SFV got dropped from our weeklies around June and have not been seen since. Even Abigail couldn't help move things along.

Pompadour

Same shit can be said for ABQ. Tekken is currently carrying the local community since TTT1 used to be such a huge game over here, but SFV got dropped from our weeklies around June and have not been seen since. Even Abigail couldn't help move things along.

That's a bummer. I'm very likely moving to ABQ next year and I was hoping there was a bigger Street Fighter scene there than there is here. I like Tekken and all but I'd rather play SFV or Xrd.

Anne

Yeah, that's a big problem. I see the same posts you're seeing all the time. The frustrating thing there is people are genuinely coming in and asking "I want to get into a new fighting game but I've heard bad things about SFV. I plan on mostly playing online so what should I get?" and they'll get top comments like "SFV is dying and the online is trash. Play GGXrd instead." That's being blatantly disingenuous just to try and swing someone over to your game.

I think it's kind of whack to try and promote your game by shitting on another one. I won't knock the hustle of offering up a game you like when people say they are disappointed in SFV or anything, but the whole "every other game is shit, come play the best fighting game ever" nonsense is obnoxious.

Top Bottom